• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it legal and/or moral to buy games and then pirate them without ever opening them?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I thought about this the other day and was curious of some others thoughts on this.

First off, would it be legal for you to do? If you bought lets say Halo 4, never opened it, and just used a burnt copy a friend gave you to play offline on your jtag 360, would that be illegal? What about if you downloaded a copy yourself online, without uploading any parts to anyone else?

Second, is this morally right? Even if it is legally acceptable, is it morally okay to buy a game new, never open it, and just play a burnt copy?

image.php

MrDaravon

No and no. People could probably make an argument on the latter I suppose, but the former is straight up not legal.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Why would you do that?

What possible reason?

Other than buying it, downloading it because that's totally okay since you own it, and then returning/selling the original copy when you're done?

OP, you ain't slick.

Karuto

I find the whole idea of buying a game just to keep stuffed in a sealed box ridiculous if that's the argument. The only other reason I would think someone would do that would be if their game disc was scratched to hell and it won't read it. Anything else you should play the game you bought.

Buying a copy and keeping it nicely sealed is you maximising resale value. Why not just use it? Then if you were to sell it, would you then destroy the pirated copy?

Shit is really sketchy

Foffy

Banned
That seems like a big pool of time. I mean, buying the product, which means there's a period of going to the store to get it or waiting for it to be mailed, and then downloading the title..

Why not just play the physical copy? Seems quicker. :<

I'd argue this was alright if you're talking about playing a download or 'backup' or something, but I don't understand why you'd play a burnt copy when you have the original disk, it's not like it's more convenient for you?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just rip your own copy with the game you purchased?

The point of the idea is that you never open the case to access the physical disk.

I guess the idea boils down to, is it legal to download identical software to the one you own from purchasing the disk?

Htown

Some people like to collect unopened copies. I'm not asking if it's practical or anything.

Shadiness confirmed. You want to buy the game, play it, but not lose the value of having it unopened.

Nope. Shady as Slim.

Jarmel

Banned
My understanding is that you are allowed to download a second/backup copy if you bought a game. You can't however distribute it.

I thought about this the other day and was curious of some others thoughts on this.

First off, would it be legal for you to do? If you bought lets say Halo 4, never opened it, and just used a burnt copy a friend gave you to play offline on your jtag 360, would that be illegal? What about if you downloaded a copy yourself online, without uploading any parts to anyone else?

Second, is this morally right? Even if it is legally acceptable, is it morally okay to buy a game new, never open it, and just play a burnt copy?

I uh

First off, would it be legal for you to do?

no

If you bought lets say Halo 4, never opened it, and just used a burnt copy a friend gave you to play

why would this happen

offline on your jtag 360, would that be illegal?

yes

What about if you downloaded a copy yourself online,

no

without uploading any parts to anyone else?

someone else had to upload it so still no

I mean you wouldn't have murdered anyone but c'mon son.

Why would you do that?

What possible reason?

Other than buying it, downloading it because that's totally okay since you own it, and then returning/selling the original copy when you're done?
An example: buying a Japanese game, and then use the already dumped and patched ROMZ to play a well-regarded fan translation.

EVOL 100%

I'd argue this was alright if you're talking about playing a download or 'backup' or something, but I don't understand why you'd play a burnt copy when you have the original disk, it's not like it's more convenient for you?

Pretty much, I'd argue that this'd be morally right but what you're saying is just wrong, OP.

Eusis

I think it's illegal to rip your OWN copy in the US and maybe other countries using something similar to the DMCA. Morally is always up to each person, but of all the games to keep sealed I wouldn't be choosing Halo 4.

Biff

Why are you consulting other people regarding morals? Make your own decision... That's the point of morals, lol.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

It's illegal to make a copy, acquire from any other means or play non-original copies of games.

You have a LICENSE to PLAY what is accessible to you from that disc. If there's DLC locked on that disc, and whoever made that game decided that you shouldn't have access to that DLC, unless you pay an extra fee, that's how it is.

Is it morally right? That depends on the morals of the person who is judging you.

Jarmel

Banned
I think it's illegal to rip your OWN copy in the US and maybe other countries using something similar to the DMCA. Morally is always up to each person, but of all the games to keep sealed I wouldn't be choosing Halo 4.

Um no I think you're allowed to rip your own copy as long as its for your own use.

Htown

An example: buying a Japanese game, and then use the already dumped and patched ROMZ to play a well-regarded fan translation.

I guess, but keeping it unopened in order to keep the value of a sealed copy for later makes it shady.

rouken

i saw something like this on one of those warez sites, the uploader of the game basically states in the end of his info log that:

"please don't forget to support this company by buying the game"

i think its makes the uploader feel that he isn't doing something illegal.

The point of the idea is that you never open the case to access the physical disk.

I guess the idea boils down to, is it legal to download identical software to the one you own from purchasing the disk?

it's not legal because that game you downloaded was pirated.

legal? no. moral? depends on what your own morals are. what's the point of keeping a game shrink wrapped? sounds like you'll try to sell it at a later date anyway. don't look to us to justify downloading pirated games.

Boss Man

It's 100% definitely morally OK. Unless you're some kind of kooky relativist who doesn't believe in things being right or wrong. Not sure about the legality of it.

My take: if you have legally bought a copy of a game you're morally in the clear to play it however you wish.

see: PC games bought bogged down with garbage DRM, which the user then has the ability to crack/strip.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Um no I think you're allowed to rip your own copy.

You're allowed to have a backup copy in case your disc is destroyed.

You're not allowed to break the encryption or circumvent the DRM measures applied to such discs to create such a copy.

If there is some kind of DRM that is affecting the games ability to be played I don't see a problem with it. For collecting and resale for potential ptofit no i don't think it is ok.

Vice

I believe you're allowed to make one backup of a game. For personal use only.

Top Bottom