• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hit game on Win RT makes £52 in first week

ymmv

Banned
Hit game makes £52 in first week on Windows RT

Great Big War Game, a popular iOS and Android app, made only £52 in its first week on Windows RT.

Great Big War Game was a hit on iOS and sold more than 100,000 copies on Android. It costs £2.19 on Windows RT, where it has just three reviews - all giving it the maximum five stars.

In an angry blog post titled "Windows RT - Born to fail", UK-based developer Rubicon originally blamed Microsoft for the paltry sum and said it won't be bringing any more of its titles to the fledgling platform.

If other developers get this treatment, that store is going to look mighty bleak for a long time to come

However, Microsoft quickly got in touch with Rubicon to smooth things over, and the post was deleted and replaced with the following:

"If anyone already read this post, it has had a very positive effect and Microsoft have graciously decided work with us to iron out the problems and get us past this incident. With a sense of fair play, I’m putting my grumpiness on hiatus and deleting the juicy bits. Which was all of it, sorry."

The original post was more scathing. Rubicon claimed that "even whilst there’s almost nothing to promote, [Microsoft] will not feature our title for bizarre admin reasons". Rubicon said it appears Microsoft is refusing to promote it because the game is only available on ARM-based Windows RT devices, not those running on x86-based Windows 8.

"If you’re familiar with their new store, this means our app is forever consigned to the garbage bin, presumably earning us less than £52 a week in future." Rubicon points out it would take two years to recoup the £10,000 cost of porting the game at the current sales rate.

The picture has been rosier on other platforms, where independent developers such as Rubicon are given a "bit of a leg up" in competing with the bigger releases.

"Apple regularly promote our apps. Android regularly promote our apps. Even RIM (Blackberry) regularly promote our apps... Microsoft on the other hand clearly do not value us at all."

"If other developers get this treatment, that store is going to look mighty bleak for a long time to come. Please take this as a warning. I know I sound bitter and twisted and there’s a reason for that – I actually am. We have wasted a lot of time, resources and money on supporting this platform and all that happened was we got spat on."

SmokyDave

Eh, that's enough for 72 440ml cans of Stella if they take advantage of the current offer at Sainsbury's. At least they can drown their sorrows.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Games exclusive to Win 8 App Store doing badly? SHOCKING NEWS!

Less dick sucking for exclusives, more business acumen.

This is Windows RT, not Windows 8.
Also it's not exclusive to that particular store as it says right there in the title that it's a popular iOS and Android app.

ZeroCoin

Games exclusive to Win 8 App Store doing badly? SHOCKING NEWS!

Less dick sucking for exclusives, more business acumen.

How is this game exclusive again? The post is all about how Microsoft has failed to provide some advertising or promotional support for their version of the game, while their competitors in the mobile space, android, ios and even blackberry versions received that support.

I have great little war game on android and it's pretty fun. I didn't know they had released a sequel. I'll have to check it out.

Karuto

...and making it exclusive to new App Store in a newly-introduced OS is probably on top of "Stupid decisions to make while running a company".

It's still not exclusive, and investing in a new OS from Microsoft with big manufacturers releasing devices for is what a company that wants to grow should do. This one obviously didn't pay off, but don't blame them - blame Microsoft.

M3d10n

Isn't that pretty impressive given there's like 200 guys that bought a Surface ?

The game is also available on the desktop store, isn't it? If so, it shows that even among the Windows customers which upgraded to Windows 8, buying stuff in the store has not gained traction at all. Heck, even the name makes it complicated: it's simply called "store" in the start menu, which doesn't make it clear it's a place to download apps.

We should be happy. If Metro apps fail to gain popularity, MS will have to stick around the desktop for a while longer.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I own a surface and I check the store every day and I had no idea this game was ever released on the RT and I think the Windows store needs an overhaul and I think MS needs to step up its game and cut out the sea of crap on the store.

Totakeke

The game is also available on the desktop store, isn't it? If so, it shows that even among the Windows customers which upgraded to Windows 8, buying stuff in the store has not gained traction at all. Heck, even the name makes it complicated: it's simply called "store" in the start menu, which doesn't make it clear it's a place to download apps.

We should be happy. If Metro apps fail to gain popularity, MS will have to stick around the desktop for a while longer.

Rubicon claimed that "even whilst there’s almost nothing to promote, [Microsoft] will not feature our title for bizarre admin reasons". Rubicon said it appears Microsoft is refusing to promote it because the game is only available on ARM-based Windows RT devices, not those running on x86-based Windows 8.

Is this thread a honey pot for people who can't read?

gcubed

i dont understand why he is upset at the low amount. Its like he thinks there are millions of users out there actually able to buy his game

How is this game exclusive again? The post is all about how Microsoft has failed to provide some advertising or promotional support for their version of the game, while their competitors in the mobile space, android, ios and even blackberry versions received that support.

I have great little war game on android and it's pretty fun. I didn't know they had released a sequel. I'll have to check it out.

It's not exclusive. The post you quoted even mentioned it was a port.

Are you illiterate? Did you not read the first line of the article?

It's still not exclusive, and investing in a new OS from Microsoft with big manufacturers releasing devices for is what a company that wants to grow should do. This one obviously didn't pay off, but don't blame them - blame Microsoft.

... It isn't exclusive.

Are you able to read? You know, words?

Huh? It's a port. How can it be exclusive to RT when it's available on iOS and Android?

FINE, MY BAD, ONE OF YOU IS ENOUGH, NO NEED TO BOOST THAT POST COUNT!

Jeez....

Then it makes even less sense - Microsoft has been known for a long time to shaft indies. THey thought it would change? Also, good God at that 180 change after Microsoft got in touch with them.

ymmv

Banned
Honestly, I'm surprised Win 8/RT apps even sell. The layout of the Windows 8 app store is beyond terrible. Go to the games section and you'll see a screen filled with brightly colored tiny tiles that all seem to look the same. There's nothing that will make a good game stick out from the mediocrity and shovelware that dominate. That's no way to entice potential customers to try out and buy games.

games-4.jpg

Hoo-doo

Banned
Honestly, I'm surprised Metro games even sell. The layout of the Windows 8 app store is beyond terrible. Go to the games section and you'll see a screen filled with brightly colored tiny tiles that all seem to look the same. There's nothing that will make a good game stick out from the mediocrity and shovelware that dominate. That's no way to entice potential customers to try out and buy games.

What, seriously? That's the interface they went with?

drkOne

Wonder how much Angry Birds Star Wars did. But this is really bad for Microsoft.
If they don't push this store with the next Xbox, it'll just die. If the store dies then it was just a waste of time and pissing way too many people off with Windows 8.

Karuto

Honestly, I'm surprised Metro games even sell. The layout of the Windows 8 app store is beyond terrible. Go to the games section and you'll see a screen filled with brightly colored tiny tiles that all seem to look the same. There's nothing that will make a good game stick out from the mediocrity and shovelware that dominate. That's no way to entice potential customers to try out and buy games.

Granted, it's not much better than other App stores.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

That's disgusting.

I find it hard to care much. Not everything is going to succeed; nor does everything deserve to succeed.

How much did it sell for on iOS?

EDIT: That interface is fucking revolting.
I keep getting told Windows 8 is all about these devices and how I should pay £50 for the desktop version to pretend its actually Windows 7 AND THIS is how the fucking app store looks?
Christ.

Mrbob

Sucks for Skulls of the Shogun.

I agree, the layout for the Windows 8 is terrible. Not even worth browsing anymore.

Keasar

Honestly, I'm surprised Win 8/RT apps even sell. The layout of the Windows 8 app store is beyond terrible. Go to the games section and you'll see a screen filled with brightly colored tiny tiles that all seem to look the same. There's nothing that will make a good game stick out from the mediocrity and shovelware that dominate. That's no way to entice potential customers to try out and buy games.

Wow, Row 3, Column 2, is that a "Zelda Game"?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i feel like all of windows 8's most odious facets are tied in to the w8 store initiative.

i'll revel in the histrionics of a catastrophe, but its rare that i can foresee the failure of an initiative to be as beneficial to me as the possible failure of microsoft's posturing to become the proprietary gatekeeper of all windows software, even if it is only the tablet wing at present.

i couldn't think of a better primer for w9 than the total abandonment of this initiative.

Xater

and people complain about the iOS store. lol

jaypah

MS is on some strong shit these days. From that picture it looks like the type of thing I'd open then immediately close.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Makes sense, don't go for new platforms unless you're looking to build an audience over time, not for the initial sales. Otherwise wait for the platform to be established by others, then hop over.

Also, I was told recently that Windows 8 RT basically is the same as Windows 8 except only the Metro based branch, so only running Metro apps. Their comment makes me think that they're actually separate platforms since they say their game is only available for RT. That sounds lame, Microsoft shouldn't have branched the OS like this, just make only proper 8 devices to ensure compatibility with all the stuff on all the devices.

And why did these guys choose RT only anyway, I'd think more devices have 8 proper for now? Or are the arm tablets more popular than people upgrading OS for their PC?

ymmv

Banned
Wow, Row 3, Column 2, is that a "Zelda Game"?

The game is actually called "Zanda - The Linked Swords" on the title screen but it's called "Zelda Game" on the app store.

Description:
Classic zelda style role playing game game.

Features:
Save progress or start from scratch when you die.
Hearts, coins, sword and speedy boots to collect.
Intelligent monsters that turn to face you and will attack if you get too close.

It's some kind of amateur effort by this guy: http://joerikerkhof.com

ZeroCoin

Granted, it's not much better than other App stores.

Just for comparison sake, here's some screenshots I grabbed off the google play store for the apps section. This was the starting point for app browsing in the on device store.

PlayStore1.png

PlayStore2.png

PlayStore3.png

Top Bottom