• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Launch Sales Age- What went wrong?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The initial results are in..and they are not good. The UK sales are a disaster, as you can tell from the weekly headlines. NPD sales are not good- December barely saw an increase, and is well behind the Wii 2006 numbers even with much greater supply. (460k December, 890K overall) Wii U actually sold less than PS3 December 2006! Only in Japan is Wii U doing *ok* (700K sales or so), but that will surely not last with the horrid lineup that region has for the next 3 months or so.

EDIT- Nintendo's internal forecast calls for 5.5 million Wii U's shipped by the end of March. Realistically they have probably sold through 2.2-2.4 million units and sales will drastically slow down in Jan-March. Bottom line is they are not going to make their own forecast.

So what happened?

In this thread I would like to try and calmly discuss A- what went wrong with the Wii U launch and B- what can Nintendo do about it.

I'm not that interested in power discussions- just because it has been done to death and that isn't something Nintendo can now change. I'm more interested in what I view as a number of completely self inflicted wounds that really defy explanation. Is Nintendo incompetent? Arrogant? Do they not understand the Western market? I'm mostly ignoring Japan because I think Nintendo is still in decent shape there.

So here it goes

Major Factors:

Software- Duh. 3rd party lineup was nothing special, but the real miscalculation was having NSMB U as the big tentpole game. I see the logic- I imagine Nintendo sat around a room, looked at the list of top selling Wii games, saw NSMB Wii at the top of the list and said "ahah! we can have that ready for launch" Makes sense, but I think the reality is NSMB U, no matter how good of a game it really is, does *nothing* to sell the Wii U as a new gaming platform. No new mechanics, not a type of game to push the system graphically, and the 3rd version of the series in 3 years and 2nd in 6 months. I think Twilight Princess did a much better job at drumming up excitement and hype with the core gamer early adopter crowd- which I think is often overlooked when discussing the Wii's insane launch. I for one got this wrong- I looked at the numbers and agreed that this was system selling software. I don't think it really was.

NintendoLand suffers from not being Wii Sports- as a game I actually think it is very good and as a long term goal of selling Nintendo franchises, I think it could succeed. But it undeniably lacks the simple appeal of Wii Sports.

Neither game wows visually and neither game at first glance really shows off the controller.

Marketing- Uhh yeah. I got this one wrong again- I did not think confusion would be that big of a factor but I think it clearly was. Wii U owners- complete this thought- when describing the system to other people, what do you say? What do you call it? What game do you discuss? Other than physically forcing people to play NintendoLand, I think it is really difficult to even verbally explain what the Wii U is. Another name would not have completely solved the problem, but I think it would have made the marketing job easier.

Another factor, harder to quantify but it certainly seems to be the case, is sheer quantity of advertising. The hype machine never seemed to get going and when you compare the advertising to what Microsoft is going to do..I'm sure it will look even worse.

Price- I don't think this is a huge huge factor because the Premium set is the more popular SKU and I think $350 with a game isn't awful, but when your predecessor with the same name is $100 and your competitor systems are cheaper and with amazing game libraries, this still impacts the numbers I think.

Lack of a compelling vision/future release schedule- Probably the hardest to quantify and the factor veering into fanboy wishlist territory, but I do think part of the reason for a lack of hype among the earlier adopters is absolutely Nintendo's silence on post Spring 2013 titles. You rarely buy a system for the games coming out right away- you buy the system for what is coming. If Nintendo had shown 3D Mario, Retro's game, and a Smash teaser (aka 2006 E3) I do think there would be a lot more excitement about the system. And you might actually have a game that genuinely looks good and is a fully realized Nintendo HD title.

Insular development?- I don't know how to phrase this without causing offense, but I do think that right now Nintendo really is struggling to understand the Western market and Western developers. Iwata's comments last year raised my eyebrows- it was something like "well we won't have the same problems with 3rd parties because now we are in HD and porting will be easier." It really made me think he had no idea of PC development and what his competitors were planning. Just look at the Wii U design- I am convinced it was designed solely to combat Japan's shrinking console market by trying to make a sort of handheld hybrid. This factor is more speculative and a lot of me just throwing things at the wall, but I really believe Nintendo's continued disinterest in specs is causing a massive disconnect with Western developers, and in turn, the Western market.

Minor Factors

Wii legacy sales- A lot of this could be solved with marketing, but in contrast to 2006 you have a similarly named system still selling ok and taking away *some* sales in my opinion. Not a lot, but some.

3rd party support/poor ports- This will be a bigger issue in the future, but for launch purposes I think sales were always going to live or die based on Nintendo's output. And CoD and AC3 IMO actually represented a somewhat decent launch lineup.

What can Nintendo do about it? I'm talking about realistic things Nintendo can do to at least somewhat recover.

Software- announcements for summer 2013 and beyond.

This should be obvious, right? It is going to be hard to break through the next gen clutter at E3, but I think a really impressive looking 3D Mario or Smash teaser could break through. I would think this would be a no brainer, but I've thought a lot of things were no brainers and they didn't happen.

Price- Another pretty obvious one. I suspect they will have no choice but to phase out the Basic and sell the Premium at $300. I think that would get closer to the sweet spot.

Marketing- Again, obvious. Too late to change the name, but their initial US campaign ended up being completely forgettable.

3rd party relationships- Frankly I suspect Western development is already a lost cause. Nintendo could not get major 3rd party support when the Wii was sold out for 2 years- it sure as hell isn't going to get it with these hardware and software sales. The only chance I think Nintendo has is to just completely get in bed with Japanese 3rd parties. I think this stands a better chance at success than courting Western developers- Nintendo generally has better relationships with Japanese 3rd parties, Microsoft is irrelevant in the Japanese market, and Sony has plenty of issues in Japan as well and will be starting off at least a year late. On the other hand, publishers like SE and Capcom who are still chasing the Western market...

Let me be clear- even good Japanese support isn't going to be enough to really succeed worldwide- but it could at least give the appearance of a healthy ecosystem with a steady stream of games.

The Future?

So where does that leave Wii U overall? I think some things can be fixed. Marketing can always be changed. The early start leaves room for price drops. And one minor positive I see is that the decent Wii holiday sales tells me the Wii name still resonates in the West- which could be a positive if/when Wii U gets to a better price.

But frankly, I think the *best case* scenario right now is a 3DS-lite situation where hardware sales are no more than decent in US/PAL, solid in Japan, and where the vast majority of 3rd party games come from Japanese companies. If Sony and moreso Microsoft execute their launch well, I think Nintendo is in major major trouble in US/PAL regions. Japan I am still relatively bullish on Wii U succeeding, but even in that region you can foresee some weak sales for the first half of this year.

Thoughts? Is this too optimistic? Am I jumping the gun?

It abandoned the Wii audience and tried to tap the PS3/360 audience.

Of course, you can't steal consumers away with a high-priced product that delivers the same kinds of games and a smaller library.

Medalion

Banned
Because it's not next-gen enough

I mean... get rid of that last gen name

And a major game that everybody must have right nao

DaBuddaDa

The software isn't compelling, there is very little on the horizon over the next 3 months and the price I think is too high.

vctor182

They should've had NintendoLand pre-installed in both SKU's or better yet integrated with MiiVerse and the Deluxe Set have Mario U and a Wii U pro controller.

I'm sure this has been mentioned by other people, but there seemed to be very low awareness regarding what the Wii U actually was. My non-gamer friends either hadn't heard about it or thought it was a tablet peripheral. I don't think it helped that the advertising, while trying to highlight asymmetrical gaming, ends up showing a lot of people using Wiimotes and one person using a tablet, which kind of reinforces the idea that it's some sort of add-on to the Wii rather than a new system entirely.

They should've gone with an all-new name for the console but I can understand why they were reluctant to part with the Wii name considering its popularity.

olimpia84

If things went wrong with the Wii U launch then how do you define the 360 and PS3 launches since both of them sold less? If anything the Wii U launch is a success.

The one thing the Wii U has going against it is the lack of upcoming games which can (and probably will) hurt them badly sales-wise in the next few months.

remnant

Banned
The problem is the power. The Nintendo faithful don't want to go to two gens with weak hardware and regular consumers don't see the appeal.
Nintendo is collapsing into their own niche.

SmokyDave

I don't think you should be totally overlooking power when it comes to what went wrong. If the Wii-U was running 360/PS3 ports at 1080p/60, I genuinely think you'd have seen more early adopters.

True, but with what we know about sales and from what we know about Nintendo's 1st half lineup, things are going to be rough for at least 6 months.

Eveeyone on neogaf lives in the now moment. This is a console with a life cycle of 5 plus years. This thread is just to premature.

Conor 419

Banned
I actually thought the Wii U would be notably more powerful than the other two systems, and capable of running all of the major third party releases 60fps,1080p whatever

That processor is really something else, I honestly do not understand how that happened.

MisterHero

The price, and not bundling NintendoLand. Not only do you have to worry about availability, now you have people waiting for one or the other. A sale is lost if they can't have the exact one they want.

Wii had a better percieved value because it included a game. Including WiiSports looked even better against 360 and PS3. Some included games, but were also expensive premium models. It was so bad for them that you could buy a Wii and some games for the price of a HD console and zero games!

All the other Wii U games are $60 rather than the $50 of Wii's games.

vctor182 said:
They should've had NintendoLand pre-installed in both SKU's or better yet integrated with MiiVerse and the Deluxe Set have Mario U and a Wii U pro controller.
Great idea. Let people know about downloadable retail games.

We're in a global recession bro.
That too.

udivision

I thought the problem was price. But the more expensive SKU sells better, apparently.

I have nothing to add to this thread now.

Erethian

I'd say there is going to be more weakness in the console sector than there is this gen; there's so many more options now than there were back in 2006, so far as videogaming goes.

I mean it's only one factor, but it seems a pretty notable one.

remnant

Banned
If it had next gen power no one would care about the small launch library. Now though....seriously why should anyone care.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't think you should be totally overlooking power when it comes to what went wrong. If the Wii-U was running 360/PS3 ports at 1080p/60, I genuinely think you'd have seen more early adopters.

I didn't mean to totally overlook it, and I think I kind of got to that in my discussion of Nintendo's Japan first philosophy. I agree its a problem, but with wiser decisions I think it could have been minimized for launch.

One I would add....people understood how the Wii remote could be used for games now and in the future. Not so much with the Gamepad.

Weezin

Naming the console Wii U rather than going with a new name really did baffle the average consumer. It even confuses some casual gamers. At work we had some people returning Wii U games because it didn't work in their Wii.

The Boat

I think it's mostly because of bad marketing, competition (including from the Wii, 3DS and DS) and the fact that there isn't a gigantic title that pulls people in like Wii Sports.
Too early to be yelling doom though.

The Lamp

I'm okay with it. 3DS showed that when Nintendo gets disappointed they bring in the big guns to win back their customers, they don't give in.

I always thought the Wii U gamepad was a terrible idea. It adds a lot to the cost in every facet, fromR&D to production, and it doesn't add much to the gameplay experience for many people. In the end I want to hold the controleer and look at the TV, the gamepad seems secondary yet the problem is it was made the primary focus. The flagship title NSMBWiiU barely uses it except for a trivial 5th player mode and off screen play.

I honestly feel that of they released a powerful console with the pro controller as the default then not only would they have made great strides in doing what western devs want but also would have made a much bigger splash in the media and with the consumers. Plus the cost would have stayed the same. The gamepad is becoming a punchline.

B.O.O.M

Wrong focus.

Focusing on a gamepad and hoping it will have a similar effect to the wii motion controllers was a big mistake.

That and the poor post launch software line up. Not sure what Nintendo is thinking

BlackJace

Nintendo's god awful marketing staff.

Look at their console products comparison page on their website.

Look at that shit.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Call me a pessimist, but I feel like if people didn't get on board now, it's not going to build any momentum. It already seems like 3rd party developers aren't willing to invest and have their sights on the future. And the general public just isn't talking about...it's going to be completely overshadowed by Sony and Microsoft. This system was in a weird spot to begin with, and I just don't see how they're going to squeeze another 6 years out of it with such a lackluster start. Time will tell.

I think abandoning the Wii played a huge part in people's perception of Wii U. I know a lot of people who see a Wii U and think of the console they haven't touched in years. So Nintendo trying to play off the Wii legacy was probably a bad idea imo because to many people the Wii legacy is that of having a precipitous drop in games

Yes Boss!

Huh,

It has been out for like 6 weeks. They have not even announced any dates forr the second wave of titles. Looking at sales of the Wii and DS and 3DS it is clear this was a much softer global launch with consideration to all their other lines. Seems like Nintendo is going to slowly ramp it up till fall of 2013.

ksamedi

Major factors
- Wii sales were spectacular when it launched and was a true revolution in gamng. Wii U does some very cool things too, but is more of an evolution then a revolution. Imagine if the Wii was a Gamecube level failure, these Wii U sales would be spectacular. Coming out of the Wii generation, the sales are underwhelming for many.

- Word of mouth will have to kick in for it to succeed inititally. Its a very hard to market machine, because the benefots are not very obvious untill you use it.

Minor factors
- Price is not Wii levels of impulse buy. Still a steep investment for a console that has very little content at the moment.

Future
- Lower then Wii initially, but will end up selling more then Wii when all is said and done. Its an incredibly flexible console which can provide a wide range of entertainment products. It can do all things Wii, and DS and more. It has great potential in the hands of Nintendo.

It has a terrible name and they did an absolutely shit job explaining to the masses that it was a new console, rather than a Wii peripheral or (huge) portable.
Every time I mention it to a non-gamer, it's an ordeal because I have to explain what it is. I called Netflix earlier to report the black level issues in the Wii U app, and the customer service rep didn't know what it was either for christ's sake.

Ranger X

Well, Nintendo clearly said the WiiU made 3% more money than the Wii did after the same period of time. So I return you the question: what went wrong? ain't that good?

Appears good to me when nobody knew that console would come now and with the ambiguous marketing (people not sure what it is).

SmokyDave

I didn't mean to totally overlook it, and I think I kind of got to that in my discussion of Nintendo's Japan first philosophy. I agree its a problem, but with wiser decisions I think it could have been minimized for launch.
Eh, fair enough. I don't think it would've made much (if any) difference in the long term, I just think it might've bought them a few more early sales.

You know this isn't true. Did that help the Vita?
I don't 'know' any such thing, hence me suggesting it ought to be at least considered.

Top Bottom