• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "What Nintendo has learned from Kickstarter"

aka "What Polygon has learned from Kotaku"

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/24/3908612/what-nintendo-has-learned-from-kickstarter

With yesterday's Nintendo Direct, Nintendo tapped into what makes Kickstarters so seductive: big promises, creative transparency and the illusion of direct contact with the consumer.

So Nintendo is wisely getting in front of possible consumers, promising that an investment now will get you what you want in the future. It's a Kickstarter update. We need you interested. We need to hit our fiscal goal. Invest now in what we'll give you later.

Such a dumb article. It's a completely useless comparision I'd expect to see from some dumb naive fanboy buried in a random GAF thread.. but here it is on the front page of a respected website!

Embarassing.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lol. Agreed with the OP. Like this Nintendo Direct was anything different to others. Oh but it had a game or two I want this time, that means it's an all new direction and like this other thing I like! Nintendo often has discussed their development and design process and philosophies here and there, like for example with all the Iwata Asks.

The Boat

What Polygon has learned from IGN
Fantastic first post.
Edit: I can't help but laugh at this wave of opinions and articles. It makes it seem like Nintendo anounces games 2, 3 years ahead and the other companies show games that are coming out next week. It's so disconnected with reality.

Kyou

Why have game journalists gotten all weird about games getting announced?

"Activision is really taking to the Kickstarter model because they promised a COD next year."

Derrick01

Banned
I really don't see how what they do is comparable to kickstarter at all. They're not begging for money to create X or Wind Waker HD. Kickstarter didn't invent the idea of promising things to people.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
We need you interested. We need to hit our fiscal goal. Invest now in what we'll give you later.

Is this not every E3 and every game media event ever?

Hmm...

Except where many Kickstarters are spearheaded by amateurs and financially unreliable businesses, Nintendo has a history of delivery and a bank account full of cash. And they have real investors to answer to. They will almost certainly make good on these promises.

OK, Nintendo Direct is like a Kickstarter video, but reliable.

Yeah.

A weak, fluffy article from Polygon. I expect more out of their site.

I fully expect Polygon to rerelease this article when E3 happens and the PS4/720 reveal includes - gasp - a bunch of promises of games that won't be out for well over a year!

ITS JUST LIKE KICKSTARTER YOU GUYS

Also, excellent first reply

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Nintendo should just stop announcing their products with much advance, and stop not doing so.

VICI0US

lolwut

these are games that are in development and will be released regardless of how many systems are, or are not, sold.

absolutely awful comparison

What Polygon has learned from eating shit.

kamiya_super.jpg

bndadm

So according to this article, I should send Nintendo money now (aka buy the Wii U) so they have the money they need to make games for the console I would only buy for those games.

So if enough people do not buy the Wii U, they won't bother making those games to make the console more appealing and thus sell more units and then....

Good lord.

I love video games and I love Nintendo the most, but there isn't enough delusion in my mind to make this argument in any context.

I fully expect Polygon to rerelease this article when E3 happens and the PS4/720 reveal includes - gasp - a bunch of promises of games that won't be out for well over a year!

ITS JUST LIKE KICKSTARTER YOU GUYS

Also, excellent first reply

Nah They won't make one for nextbox :p Another weird article about ND. WTH is with gaming "journalist" these days? :/

Giggzy

Nintendo has BECOME a kick starter. As witnessed with The W101 and Bayonetta 2 being published by Nintendo, as well as Iwata saying they will gladly fund projects for 3rd parties if they have a good idea for the Wii U.

What multiplat games come in the future from the other next gen systems remains to be seen, but I'm expecting a lot more exclusive 3rd party titles.

The Boat

These articles further justify why Nintendo began doing direct communication in the first place.
Pretty much. The time when publishers need others to rely information for them is over. Sure, Nintendo started that with Nintendo Power, but now with the Internet? Things have changes and looking at articles like this, I'm thankful for that.

fates

So... are they trying to say that the games Nintendo are showing off aren't real yet and that they won't be until we throw enough money at them?

Because I'm pretty sure Nintendo is gonna rake in the dough either way with Pokemon X/Y on the horizon.

deadlast

I read the article... It's not as bad as some are making it out to be. It's actually talks to how yesterday's nintendo direct was awesome and draws comparisons to kickstarter projects.

Top Bottom