• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony officially cuts ties with Superbot; All-Stars DLC now handled by Santa Monica

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
http://kotaku.com/5981571/sony-cuts...n-all+stars-creators-studios-fate-in-question
Sony Cuts Ties With PlayStation All-Stars Creators, Studio’s Fate In Question

Sony has cut ties with PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale creator SuperBot Entertainment, just days after the development studio laid off a number of its staff.

All of the game's future content will be handled by Sony's internal studios.

"Sony Computer Entertainment can confirm that the working agreement with developer SuperBot Entertainment has amicably ended," a Sony representative told Kotaku. "We have had a positive working relationship with this talented studio, and wish them the best of success in their next endeavor. PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale and the title's forthcoming DLC releases will continue to be fully supported by Santa Monica Studio."

SuperBot, an independent developer started in 2009, released PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale for Vita and PlayStation 3 last fall. Two weeks ago, the company laid off a significant number of staff.

We've heard from one source that as a result of Sony's decision, SuperBot will have to shut down. We've reached out to the studio for comment and will update should we hear back.

UPDATE: In an e-mail, SuperBot's director of operations David Yang responded to Kotaku's request for comment, saying that the company is "excited about beginning the next chapter of [their] future."

The full statement follows:

SuperBot Entertainment can confirm that the relationship with SCEA has ended on good terms. We are extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to work on with Sony on Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, and are extremely proud of the work we have done. SuperBot Entertainment will continue working on projects that reflect our passion for games and our commitment to creating award winning titles. We are very excited about beginning the next chapter of our future and invite all of our fans and supporters to follow our journey.

UPDATE 2: In response to a follow-up question about whether the studio will remain intact with all of its staff, Yang told Kotaku that there are no layoffs planned yet.

"We don't have a reduction plan as of yet, however it is unlikely we can continue with our current work force for an extended period of time," he said. "We are still working things out and hope to continue on with as many of us as possible."

V_Ben

Banned
http://kotaku.com/5981571/sony-cuts-ties-with-playstation-all+stars-creators-studios-fate-in-question

Sony has cut ties with PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale creator SuperBot Entertainment, just days after the development studio laid off a number of its staff.

All of the game's future content will be handled by Sony's internal studios.

"Sony Computer Entertainment can confirm that the working agreement with developer SuperBot Entertainment has amicably ended," a Sony representative told Kotaku. "We have had a positive working relationship with this talented studio, and wish them the best of success in their next endeavor. PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale and the title's forthcoming DLC releases will continue to be fully supported by Santa Monica Studio."

SuperBot, an independent developer started in 2009, released PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale for Vita and PlayStation 3 last fall. Two weeks ago, the company laid off a significant number of staff.

We've heard from one source that as a result of Sony's decision, SuperBot will have to shut down. We've reached out to the studio for comment and will update should we hear back.

The Lamp

Uh that's disappointing. PSASBR was great fun; the UI sucked and it reaked of amateur polish everywhere but the game mechanics....but it was great fun. I hope Sony keeps the franchise intact even if its relationship with SuperBot is now kind of a dud...

Musiol

So, no more PSASBR2 with more characters? It's sad. I wonder will we get the same number of DLC after SSM took the lead?

dmr87

Not surprised, although sad.

I don't get the creation and demise of Superbot.

They were an independent studio but created by Sony? Here's hoping the studio lives on its own somehow, unless the entire studio is disbanded.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Maybe if they were given the roster that people actually wanted, instead of being one giant advertisement, the game would have sold better.

It's a shame.

A friend of mine literally called this yesterday. So weird. Really hoping this doesn't mean the end of PSABR, really hoping SSM is at least given the chance to make a decent sequel with a better roster/better mechanics.

RPGCrazied

I wanted to play it, but really didn't see a character I really liked. They missed the ball on not having some characters there. I'm still shocked to see 0 Final Fantasy characters. Um, the games started on the PS1.

AOC83

Banned
Hardly surprising.

Though in Superbot's defense, the game needed much better marketing than it received.

Marketing was not the problem. Creating a game that nobody asked for was.
Good luck for the guys at Superbot though. Don´t really know what Sony was thinking with this mess.

I am shocked. Look at me gaf.
image.php

you seem more scared than anything

Top Bottom