• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA censors its own support number on its forums

You can't make this shit up lol.
EA's SimCity saga has provided no shortage of comedy. Maxis general manager Lucy Bradshaw just yesterday proudly announced that the company is "hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality." Surely EA must be receiving a mountain of complaints as well, unless it somehow found a way to prevent customers from even contacting the support team. Hmmm...

As EA forum member LeLedg and others have accidentally discovered in a thread about customers trying to make legitimate SimCity complaints, EA is preventing the customer assistance hotline number from even appearing in the forums. When you type out the number 866-543-5435 , it is replaced by an asterisk, a common message board function typically used to block course language. Just to be safe, the forum-goers typed other permutations of the number in addition to completely different phone numbers -- it's only EA's number that's censored.

There is a likelihood that this is a big misunderstanding, that this function was implemented well before the SimCity debacle to prevent people from spamming the number in the forums. Yeah, about as likely as being able to reach EA via any other means, so not very. A handful of customers have already noted that speaking to a rep via live chat session is ineffective, instead insisting on phone calls. Actually tracking down the number on EA's site is a fruitless endeavor, but the fact that EA is blocking said number from visibly appearing in the forums makes it seem like EA wants to pretend that everything is hunky-dory in Sim Land.

Source

EASupport1-noscale.jpg

EASupport1-noscale.jpg

EASupport2-noscale.jpg

EASupport4-noscale.jpg

EASupport5-noscale.jpg

FINALBOSS

Banned
LOL.

I came here to post that maybe it was just all phone numbers that were getting censored. I can't believe it's honestly just the support number.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This really gets better and better every day...

Major flop by EA. I knew it would be kinda bad, but not like this!

Yagharek

It was in one if the sim city threads yesterday but it is important to mention elsewhere.

Further proof EA are scamming customers

sappyday

I would say that they're just digging their own grave but in the end they'll still be one of the biggest publishers out there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They/Bioware did this same shit during the TORtanic sinking. I'm not really surprised.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized: How long until they start banning people who badmouths them in their forums (along with their Origin accounts!)?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
It's incredible watching this whole thing happen.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Kinda on-topic but about an hour ago I called my Chase card customer service an initiated a chargeback against EA due to SimCity. The Chase people knew EXACTLY what I was talking about the second I mentioned SimCity to them. They said they are receiving TONS of calls regarding the game and initiating chargebacks. Hilarious.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
eight hundred sixty six- five hundred forty tree- five thousand four hundred thirty five.

Write it like that and add typos. Shall be fun.

Man... I'm glad I only had a passing interest in this game and everything came out before I gave serious thought to buying it.

sangreal

EA wouldn't have this problem if their live chat support wasn't completely useless. When I was getting my refund for SimCity it was night and day between live chat and phone support.

karkand.jpg

Spierek

When you think that they can't go any lower, EA manages to surprise you. This whole launch has been a parade of hilarity.

DRG

Neo Member
How worse can EA make this situation? What number are we at now in terms of bad consumer practices/bad PR just from Sim City? It seems like every day something new pops up.

At this point, if you bought SimCity and have a pet in your home, you should probably take measures to ensure its safety. Having run out of other creative ways to dick you over, EA is probably going to try to kill it.

Top Bottom