• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Etrian Odyssey - Official teaser site up, some designs from Famitsu

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Zzzzzzz. Looks like we won't get any proper direct feed stuff until next week. Check the previous thread for all the details: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529911

http://ssq.atlusnet.jp
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201303/28030925.html

bg.jpg

PhmaCTP.jpg

X8n7aHz.jpg

I'm loving the idea of this game, it might bring more people into the series, and then we can get V.

*goes back to play IV*

Loving the character designs so far, even if there's nothing as good as my precious dancer :p

MLH

I really hope they big back the orange blob F.O.E even as just an option, IMO they are sort of characteristic to the series; the mystery of not knowing what you are about to encounter is pretty cool.

spiritfox

Like I said, MC has a stupid sword-spear thing. How does that even work.

Anyway, I actually quite like most of the new designs. That protector is no blonde protector, but she's pretty good. And I'm a sucker for redheads.

duckroll

Just saw the full scans. Can confirm the following:

- Ren and Tlachtga are part of the party with the main character in one of the battle screens.

- The mapping tools are updated to be similar to EO4's options.

- While the game retains the characters, base story, and some of the bosses of EO1, the rest of the game seems mostly new. There's a screen of B2F being fully mapped out, and it looks totally different from the B2F map in EO1.

- There's a screen showing an available Mission, and it doesn't seem like any of the EO1 missions either.

- One major change for story events is that character portraits now have different expressions and stuff while talking, and there can be multiple portraits on the screen to show the people talking to each other. Similar to how it's done in other JRPGs.

Edit:

- I also feel that some of the screens they show of the dungeon looks better graphically than EO4.

cj_iwakura

- Ren and Tlachtga are part of the party with the main character in one of the battle screens.

Oh, that'll be fun in the 5th Stratum. That's what I was hoping to hear, they're my favorite characters.

- While the game retains the characters, base story, and some of the bosses of EO1, the rest of the game seems mostly new. There's a screen of B2F being fully mapped out, and it looks totally different from the B2F map in EO1.

- There's a screen showing an available Mission, and it doesn't seem like any of the EO1 missions either.

- One major change for story events is that character portraits now have different expressions and stuff while talking, and there can be multiple portraits on the screen to show the people talking to each other. Similar to how it's done in other JRPGs.

Edit:

- I also feel that some of the screens they show of the dungeon looks better graphically than EO4.

Can't wait, this is my favorite EO. Also love the set character designs so far.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
They've redone the floors and missions too? I'm a bit interested now, it looks like they're redoing things properly. It still has the classes to keep things interesting too.

spiritfox

What is this exactly? A remake of the first game?

A reimagining of the first game, with a greater emphasis on the story.

You know, looking at the background image, I wonder if they're going to change the 5th stratum.
It looks too futuristic compared to Lost Shinjuku, so maybe they're gonna push the "apocalypse" to a more future date. Then again, Lost Shinjuku didn't really point to a time period other than "modern".

Oh and if they lose B27F I'm gonna laugh.

vall03

Im getting excited with the new details. Already sold with Ren and Tlachtga being playable and there seems to be substantial changes and additional content. So far, I really like the design of the Medic and the Protector.

tuffy

The designs look pretty good, but I'm still not sold on the idea of playing through the game with a bunch of predefined characters.

spiritfox

Man I can't get over how shit the MC design is. What's with those pants? And that hair? And that stupid fur cape? And that weapon??

I really hope they at least have alternate designs for the MC. Or maybe a female option.

cj_iwakura

A reimagining of the first game, with a greater emphasis on the story.

You know, looking at the background image, I wonder if they're going to change the 5th stratum.
It looks too futuristic compared to Lost Shinjuku, so maybe they're gonna push the "apocalypse" to a more future date. Then again, Lost Shinjuku didn't really point to a time period other than "modern".

Oh and if they lose B27F I'm gonna laugh.

Yeah, the
Explorer's Abattoir
would be pretty nightmarish to see.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The new details makes me wish this wasn't story oriented with VA since it might effect localization chances as well, EO has never been big here at all.

spiritfox

Yeah, the
Explorer's Abattoir
would be pretty nightmarish to see.

Hell, I would like to see the entire 6th stratum make though untouched. EO4's 6th was not very interesting, and lacked a lot of the crazy shit that the other post-game strata had.

duckroll

Okay I was reaaaaaaaaaally bored. So i booted up EO4, and drew the B2F map from New EO for a comparison. Lolz.

Original:
AznetWD.png

New EO:
pIVOIpZ.jpg

Totakeke

Maybe it's just nostalgia goggles speaking, but I liked EO1's general mapping more than EO4 because EO4's design is too streamlined making it easy to guess where the shortcuts are. So the maps are kind of boring. Of course, I also like EO4's because it has little of that excessive trying until you get it right labyrinth designs.

tuffy

Though for 3D dungeon-crawlers in particular, there's a lot of benefit to having a whole extra screen that can be dedicated to maps. So it's no surprise we're seeing a lot of them.

javac

Putting them on handhelds has been the norm since last gen, really.

I mean I'm not complaining. But every time I see a thread like this I wonder "what platform do you think it'll be on..." And once I click on the thread I'm like duh how could I not guess its a 3DS title at this point lol.

scy

I'm honestly not bothered in the slightest by having set characters. I just hope that they do a lot with the set characters, though it seems like I don't really have to worry on this based off what we've seen so far.

I don't craft my own narrative really so I suppose I'm in the minority (maybe?) as far as EO is concerned, however.

Aeana

I mean I'm not complaining. But every time I see a thread like this I wonder "what platform do you think it'll be on..." And once I click on the thread I'm like duh how could I not guess its a 3DS title at this point lol.
Etrian Odyssey needs a touch screen, and in particular it needs the stylus for map drawing to be as easy as it can be.

The criticism Etrian Odyssey gets from western reviewers and some newcomers, it mostly falls on there being no traditional story. This seems to address those complaints.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Though for 3D dungeon-crawlers in particular, there's a lot of benefit to having a whole extra screen that can be dedicated to maps. So it's no surprise we're seeing a lot of them.

I want more. MORE!

I think I've made up my mind on this now. It looks and sounds really interesting and it will be nice to play a re-imagining of the first game...but I still kinda hope it doesn't represent the norm for future EO game because I love the create a party aspect of it and the non-intrusive storylines.

Talaysen

No Jack Frost hat clip on the gunner? Or hat for that matter? Lame.

In seriousness, still looking good. Changing the maps is a really great idea, though it seems pretty obvious.

I'm honestly not bothered in the slightest by having set characters. I just hope that they do a lot with the set characters, though it seems like I don't really have to worry on this based off what we've seen so far.

I don't craft my own narrative really so I suppose I'm in the minority (maybe?) as far as EO is concerned, however.

I don't craft my own narrative too... so I don't mind, and we can rest/change classes with them anyways. I'm actually hyped for a EO with character development and voice acting, I hope Atlus doesn't have problems localizing it(leave the Original VA's for US PLEASE).

Also, it's not a numbered sequel and I'm sure V will be made for the hardcore fans.

Can't wait to get more story about Lost Shinjuku

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Etrian Odyssey needs a touch screen, and in particular it needs the stylus for map drawing to be as easy as it can be.

Yep, even though I was too lazy to buy/go get one from storage and mapped out 95% of EO III with the edge of one fingernail you really want that stylus. It's so much faster.

Ferrio

Banned
Etiran IV was my first, and I've put more hours into it than any RPG (not to mention single player game) since the PS2. I was pretty sure I was going to get bored of it 10 hours into the game... but something about it is so addicting.

I will certainly pick this one up.

stuminus3

Banned
I kind of like the idea of revisiting EO1 but it being largely new content. EO1 had the most interesting scenario. EO4 is silly even though it's a far better game.

Being on 3DS is pretty much the norm for games like this now isn't it?
That depends, did you buy Grimrock?

The most consistent thing about this excellent series is my hatred of its art style. Some things never change.

What's wrong with this one? I mean, I know it's personal and all but I fucking love the artstyle and I'm constantly trying to buy the artbooks because I think it's gorgeous.

EO is easily my favorite new IP of the last gen, I can't believe it's done so well. Already 5 games... so proud

What's wrong with this one? I mean, I know it's personal and all but I fucking love the artstyle and I'm constantly trying to buy the artbooks because I think it's gorgeous.

EO is easily my favorite new IP of the last gen, I can't believe it's done so well. Already 5 games... so proud

Eh, not a big fan of the moe. Glad it still deliver for fans, though.

I know it sounds weird and I can get avatar quoted for it, but I dislike fanservice and moe in general. I just think the art style is so effective and well done, EO wouldn't be the same without it.

It's definitely quality, no doubt about that. I even prefer Japanese aesthetics when I can get them. I guess I just prefer a more realistic look. In EO games I tend to build my party around only those units that have an "adult" avatar.

Eusis

I don't think there's anything to worry about on that front at all.
Yeah, EO's always been a steady seller worth localizing here, even the EO4 numbers seem like they're probably fine for it, and the changes here are just as likely to draw more people here as in Japan unless it's a complete failure of an initiative. I wouldn't worry very seriously beyond the simple fact nothing's guaranteed until it's out.
Being on 3DS is pretty much the norm for games like this now isn't it?
It's always been a handhelds series, partially for reasons Aeana laid out, but also because it's traditionally been a low end series that wouldn't really fly on modern consoles, at least as a full retail product.

It's definitely quality, no doubt about that. I even prefer Japanese aesthetics when I can get them. I guess I just prefer a more realistic look. In EO games I tend to build my party around only those units that have an "adult" avatar.

that's understandable, and it kinda sucks how in EO4 the "males" look kinda lame compared to the others.

KarmaCow

Ugh I was feeling better when this was just a remake so I could ignore what was hopefully a one off game with more a focus on story for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom