• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Open platforms are better for gaming, games and gamers

Durante

As the thread title says, in this thread I'll try to present an argument as to how and why open platforms are better for the hobby of gaming, the medium of games and individual gamers. There are multiple factors contributing to this, and I'll try to cover each in some detail.

Preservation

For any serious medium (and fans of that medium) preservation of classic experiences is an important issue. Think about the collective loss for all of us if any books or musical compositions older than 40 years were no longer available, or only readable or available to listen to with lots of effort and highly specialized equipment.

Games are unique in that they are interactive, which makes their preservation significantly harder than anything that can simply be recorded and played back. To experience an old game on a proprietary platform, you need a working instance of that hardware platform, its accessories, and the game, as well as all the other devices (such as displays) from roughly the same time period so as to be compatible. Already today, the most convenient and viable way of playing old classics is via software emulation, usually on open platforms. However, modern hardware-assisted DRM schemes, highly complex hardware/software architectures and slow down in the progress of sequential CPU performance may make emulation an almost impossible task for current and future platforms.

Conversely, games on open platforms are usually compatible with a wide variety of hardware, and over long periods of time. Even if a point is reached where no directly compatible hardware is in circulation anymore, emulation is usually greatly simplified by documentation and a lack of hardware-level DRM schemes.

Creativity

On an open platform, software and hardware experimentation can proceed freely, unbound by the sluggish pace of change in a giant corporation. Since the barrier of entry in software is minimal, new concepts can be tried and iterated on quickly. Similarly, all kinds of new hardware can be designed and integrated by third parties.

I feel like this is a point which could be highly contested, so I'd like to look at recent history. These days gaming has matured to some extent, and new genres are born more rarely. If we look at the last two entirely new genres to be introduced, I'd say they are MOBAs (that DotA genre) and MMORPGs (I know they have "RPG" in their name, but they are really a distinct genre). Both of these were born on PC, and the most recent one (MOBAs) has arisen out of a freely distributed community mod.

However, I would extend "creativity" here to not only pertain to the type of software produced, but also how it is made. The most significant recent advances in the funding and building of software are -- at least from my point of view -- "early access" purchases during development (as pioneered incredibly successfully by Minecraft) and crowdfunding, which is similar but not quite the same in practice, as it asks customers to support an idea rather than a partially completed product. Both were introduced on an open platform, due to the freedom it offers in distribution and funding. Of course, one could go further back and say the same thing about digital distribution.

Competition

This also comes down to an issue of control. As in the lack of complete control for publishers, and the higher degree of control for customers. As the barrier of entry for new competitors is significantly lower, and distribution is not centrally controlled by a platform holder, gamers have far more choice as to how and where to spend their money. This fosters competition between distribution services, as we can say playing out e.g. between Steam and Amazon during their respective sales.

Obviously, the primary advantage gained from such free competition is pricing for customers, but it can also materialize in faster development of new features or services, and making them available freely in an effort to increase mind- and market-share. Additionally, fluid competition makes it much harder to implement anti-consumer practices on a large scale, as consumers can easily flock to a competitor without being affected by platform lock-in. Ubisoft's failure implementing their always-on PC DRM scheme is one instance of this.

Community

If a game is released on an open platform, it allows the community of its fans to achieve many things that are either impossible on or greatly hindered by closed systems. These include:
- Community patches, fixing issues in and improving games often years after the developer or publisher dropped them
- Graphical or gameplay mods that may drastically change the look or feel of games, and potentially increase their longevity
- Fan translations into new languages the original games were never released in

As I've pointed out previously in the creativity section, entire new genres can arise based on such community-created content. Note that some games on closed platforms (e.g. LBP) are also embracing community-created content (commendably!), however, such content will always remain "sandboxed" and require sanctioning compared to what is possible on open platforms.

This point is not just limited to the modification of individual games though -- a large number of out-of-game features were introduced or continue to be supported best on open platforms, such as voice chat, general support for screenshots or video recording of gameplay, and live streaming.

Choice

Unlike a fixed platform, where all the choices are made by a company during its design, with an open platform each player can in many ways customize their experience. This extends from a choice in hardware (including how much to spend), to a great variety of input devices, various display options, and software tradeoffs such as those between graphical fidelity and frame rates. I feel like this is a well-known point, which comes up far more often in gaming discussions than the other ones I mentioned, so I don't think it's necessary to go into further detail.

So what?
Well, not much really. I just wanted to share my thoughts on this, and I hope that some people will consider these aspects and maybe think about the state they want their hobby -- or their favorite medium -- to be in over the long term. I'm looking forward to the flame war well-reasoned responses and stimulating discussion.

Corto

I agree that an open platform (more specifically PC) is better for gaming, games and users. But closed, highly curated environments also have their ideal strengths. QA consistency, developing to a fixed spec target, consistent experience through the user base, plug and play streamlined experience. I hope Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will move for a more open environment for their platforms in the future. I think that that will be the decisive factor next gen and Valve should stir the pot a bit with its hardware efforts.

Noogy

I try to think of this in terms of other media. Is an uncurated platform good for movies, books, etc? I can see arguments for both sides.

Open platforms are great. They are better when someone assembles the cream of the crop.

Durante

I agree that closed platforms have their advantages (otherwise why would they be so successful?), I just believe that those advantages are balanced more in the favor of platform holders and large publishers, while the advantages of open platforms are balanced in the favor of consumers and the medium as a whole.

Also, on the topic of Steam, it doesn't fully qualify as an open platform in the sense I'm describing in the OP. It runs on an open platform though, which makes a huge difference.

Oh, and PC isn't really the only open platform out there, Android devices should also qualify to some extent -- the Android marketplace is preferred, but not enforced. Of course, it is not (yet?) really all that relevant for gaming.

I try to think of this in terms of other media. Is an uncurated platform good for movies, books, etc? I can see arguments for both sides.
I agree regarding some of the points outlined above, but I can think of at least two aspects where games are really different from most unidirectional media: preservation and platform lock-in. The difficulty with the former I point out in the OP, and the latter doesn't really happen to any similar extent with books or movies.

Do we really have curated platforms for movies/books/music? There are different curated storefronts for each, but there's no central gatekeeper that decides whether someone can make a DVD/MP3/book.

An open platform combined with a single (or small number of) fixed spec would be the ideal, IMO, although there are a lot of hurdles involved with that.

Arksy

The focus on the community is the most important aspect. There are still people modding for old games like Morrowind, Baldurs Gate, Warcraft III. Some of these communities are largely still intact, even a decade on.

Corto

Oh, and PC isn't really the only open platform out there, Android devices should also qualify to some extent -- the Android marketplace is preferred, but not enforced. Of course, it is not (yet?) really all that relevant for gaming.

Android, Linux as platforms need critical mass to be relevant. In terms of software but also users/customers. I don't have too much faith on the Ouya. I think it will be great to garage dev teams and a modern take on the early 80s wild west environment of the games industry but that will be the best they can shoot for. Linux could become instantly relevant depending on how serious Valve will be with the SteamBox. That is the big variable in Linux as a gaming platform.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Do we really have curated platforms for movies/books/music? There are different curated storefronts for each, but there's no central gatekeeper that decides whether someone can make a DVD/MP3/book.
publishers, film distributors, theatre owners, record labels

Although, they will be less relevant in the future. What's so frightening about the digital era is that it removes barriers like that. Garbage unchained.

re: op -- choice is not good, neither is competition. It is beneficial for a platform like Steam to have a natural monopoly. Having platforms constantly trading blows and having unsure futures is not good.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I want to remind everyone that there's a difference between an open platform and an open storefront.

PSN and Steam are both closed storefronts, but PSN exists on a closed platform (ps3 and vita) and Steam exists on an open platform (pc).

fallagin

Agreed op, however I Just don't see the gaming market or the PC market getting more open in the future. There really isn't any backlash against closed platforms among the general populace, as long as they can get their word processor and web browser they seem pretty cool with whatever the platform holders do as long as it doesn't impact their convenience on the platform.

Priz

"Open is for LOSERS!" (a friend who worked on OpenID, not my quote)

Example 1: Windows was the dominant OS, not open while Linux was not the dominant (the "loser" in the competition) and open.

Example 2: Google was the top in search and their proprietary stuff wasn't open. Yahoo below them (the "loser" here) made their stuff open.

Example 3: iOS was the leading Smartphone OS, not open. Android when it first came out many people didn't think it had a shot and was the serious "loser"... and what was the OS? That's right - open.

There are many other examples, but the core behind this is if you're leading the pack, you don't NEED to go open, but the companies/people trailing you, you can see it's in their interest to go open and hence the quote.

The way I see it, is that irregardless of open or closed, the best platform allows for a developer to directly build and interact with his/her community through the game. I don't believe that a closed platform can't achieve this. It's just that in its current form, publishers, platform holders etc seem to be more concerned in building an impenetrable toll booth rather than constructing a proper bridge.

You nailed it, Durante.

The preservation aspect is the most important one to me. A game released/made to emulate on the PC is guaranteed to have a much, much more longer lifespan of functionality and accessibility as compared to that released on a closed platform like a console.

Your work (in conjunction with From Software's port) with Dark Souls, for example, will ensure that gamers can enjoy arguably the best version of a brilliant game for decades to come without worrying about backwards compatibility. So many other older games are lost to the sands of time due to the unavailable closed legacy hardware able to run them. For those games, we often have to rely on emulation, which can often be a hit or miss proposition.

The push towards day and date, competently made PC ports should be a priority to ensure the ease of archival and preservation of the material so that future generations can also enjoy them.

Corto

Most of my favorite games are on closed systems though. Most of the best selling and highest rated ones as well.

But openness should be a real concern going forward even for those closed systems though. Video games transitioned from packaged goods to digital services this gen resulting in the rise concerns of software ownership/licenses for use and the question of what that really entails in this day and age. Next generation will push them even more towards that direction. Next-next gen video games software will become even more a disposable use once and forget it thing. That could be destructive to this industry. That conundrum between games as service and future preservation of software, ownership/license of use needs to be addressed quickly before it just becomes a non-alternative, non-optional move naturally consequent from the move to digital/streaming delivery of gaming content. Don't ask me though how that will be resolved. I don't have solutions.

breakfuss

Great post, OP. Might I put forth the notion, though, that the legacy of some games is enshrined in its native platform/hardware? Mario 64 is a perfect example of this. Also, had the kindle, for example, had any form of legitimate competition, it's completely plausible that we could have begun to see books released in a similar fashion.

well... there's always emulation.

I agree, but most of the games are Japanese and with their shift to handhelds all I can do is keep playing on my 3ds.

Durante

Android, Linux as platforms need critical mass to be relevant.
I don't think Android will have trouble reaching critical mass -- not with 1.5 million device activations per day. I also don't consider things like Ouya to be all that relevant, or even Android in its current state, but I believe that long-term it will be very significant.

"Open is for LOSERS!" (a friend who worked on OpenID, not my quote)[...]
There are many other examples, but the core behind this is if you're leading the pack, you don't NEED to go open, but the companies/people trailing you, you can see it's in their interest to go open and hence the quote.
That really just seems to confirm what I have said above -- closed paltforms are better for large established corporate players, open platforms are better for smaller companies, consumers, and -- as I try to argue in the OP -- the medium as a whole.

publishers, film distributors, theatre owners, record labels

Those entities prevent works from being distributed through the traditional channels. They don't restrict anything from running on a device though.

I think curators will always have an important role, but the other baggage that comes with closed systems (basically the list Durante mentioned) has no benefit to consumers.

Haunted

I agree that closed platforms have their advantages (otherwise why would they be so successful?), I just believe that those advantages are balanced more in the favor of platform holders and large publishers, while the advantages of open platforms are balanced in the favor of consumers and the medium as a whole.
Excellent opening post, but this really nails what it all boils down to.

The focus on the community is the most important aspect. There are still people modding for old games like Morrowind, Baldurs Gate, Warcraft III. Some of these communities are largely still intact, even a decade on.
Very appropriate comment, as I just installed Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 and dusted off my files to continue my own modding project for the game. :D

All great points Durante. For the sake of the medium I really hope that every game gets a PC port, including every MS exclusive (doesn't matter if its 6 years down the line like the rumoured Halo 3) and ideally Sony and Nintendo exclusives too.

With regards to the closed storefronts talk, my dream would be for all digital download games to be DRM free but would incorporate a gaming equivalent of ID3 tags. This would allow you to download and play the game fully DRM free, but you would also have complete freedom to choose whichever service you wanted, e.g. Steam, Origin, uPlay, etc. The ID3 tag-like system would include achievements, stats, time played, etc and link to the online download page, but would be accessible via any software, just like you can choose a range of software to manage your MP3 library.

Durante

With regards to the closed storefronts talk, my dream would be for all digital download games to be DRM free but would incorporate a gaming equivalent of ID3 tags. This would allow you to download and play the game fully DRM free, but you would also have complete freedom to choose whichever service you wanted, e.g. Steam, Origin, uPlay, etc. The ID3 tag-like system would include achievements, stats, time played, etc and link to the online download page, but would be accessible via any software, just like you can choose a range of software to manage your MP3 library.
That's a very interesting idea. I was thinking more of a free software system for managing these community aspects, but simply providing an open interface for them and letting any platform implement it is obviously even better.

Too bad it would likely be very hard to make such a thing reach critical mass. I guess a good first step would be to define the interface, and provide a dynamically linked library that maps it to Steam. On other services you could simply replace the library to communicate with their versions of the functionality instead.

p3tran

Banned
closed platforms usually offer benefits, even if short-term when you see the scope, or just facilitation type services.
but when you see that the platform holder's plans begin to stink,
its about time to move on

mclem

I'm going to play devil's advocate a bit here; I need to highlight that for the most part I agree with the OP, but I think it's justifiable to also indicate the other side of this; the factors that would also have to change to accomodate this. I don't actually think these changes are bad - but other people may not have thought about what they would result in.

Price. Yes, the games have the potential to be successful at cheaper pricepoints (which in turn favours the smaller publisher) - but hardware has to be sold at a profit. There's some pretty massive subsidies propping up the power of the bleeding-edge systems, and hardware developers won't be able to do that if they're not getting revenue from software licensing...

...but, to counter that, that's only really A Thing at the bleeding edge. One of the factors to take into account is that it's not going to be a pursuit of the best and the finest visuals at all costs any more in that environment; games can be produced to target whatever level of equipment the mass-market have to hand, and that hardware is relatively inexpensive currently...

...but, to counter that, there's still multiple different variants. Coding and designing for a fixed platform, where you can have faith that your users have certain capabilities available - that's *so* much more comfortable than having to chase down several different specifications and ensuring the software works on everything that it's thrown at...

...but to counter that, you can alleviate that problem by aiming for a lowest common denominator that's supported by the vast majority.

So, yeah. What I'm boiling down to here is that in this environment, there's very little incentive to really push the envelope. Adding more oomph is in turn reducing your audience. It may force people to play it safe.

Now, I need to reiterate: I don't actually think that's a particularly bad thing given the situation the games industry is in at the moment; indeed, I think that sort of thing would be very healthy right now... but I'm not sure how it stands as a long-term strategy, I can see both positives and negatives. And I'm sure there's a reasonable chunk of people who would, well, not take the lack of future bleeding-edge content all that well.

Usobuko

Banned
"Open is for LOSERS!" (a friend who worked on OpenID, not my quote)

Example 1: Windows was the dominant OS, not open while Linux was not the dominant (the "loser" in the competition) and open.

Example 2: Google was the top in search and their proprietary stuff wasn't open. Yahoo below them (the "loser" here) made their stuff open.

Example 3: iOS was the leading Smartphone OS, not open. Android when it first came out many people didn't think it had a shot and was the serious "loser"... and what was the OS? That's right - open.

I chuckled, sure reminds me of 'Democracy is for LOSERS!' in LoGH.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
This is really why I want to see Valve's Linux initiative succeed. With Windows you are at the mercy of Microsoft and where they decide to steer the boat which, as Windows 8 has proven, is in a direction that many people dislike. Linux, being open source, can be tailored into something that best suits games and the desktop computing experience by pretty much any vendor that cares to take the helm.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
great thread. i can't believe i missed it for the full 30 minutes that it was on the front page.

nbthedude

Durante, man, this thread didn't get enough love. It is more important now than ever now that the console manufacturers are doubling down.

This is a discussion all enthusiast gamers need to participate in.

nbthedude

Open platforms need more moneyhats I guess!

You joke but it's true.

The optimistic side of me would like to believe the current digital rights contraversies will be to game enthusiasts what Sundance was to film enthusuist. That is to day, a turning point where they shift their focus away from what big capital has to offer them and more towards what passionate developers have to offer.

In short, if you care about the stuff that Durante lists in the OP, about the preservation of games, about the openess and creative opportunities of a the platform, about the wider availability of games due to a truly competitive marketplace, etc, then you should care about the PC market because it is, as of now, the only true open platform at the moment.

RedSwirl

Agreed on all points with the OP, but I don't think it needs to be only one or only the other in my opinion. Closed platforms are generally more accessible and more reliable on the flipside. I definitely believe that for computer software in general, at least one open platform should always exist, whether that be Windows or Android.

Other media like books and movies don't really have curated platforms at all. Anyone can write a book without having to go to some central gatekeeper. Anyone can record video and print it on a DVD. Anyone can record sound and play it back as an mp3. You can't say the same for console games.

It think it's best if you have a choice between open platforms and closed platforms that essentially compete with each other, like what you have now between iOS and Android in the mobile OS market. Power users can go to the open platform for choice and flexibility, while people who just want something that works can go to the closed platform. This is essentially the entire difference between PC gaming and console gaming right now.

It would be interesting if someone actually tried to create THE open console platform -- an operating system built specifically for video games competitive with PlayStation and Xbox with a similar level of accessibility, but completely open without a licensee or gatekeeper. The closest things you have right now are Ouya and possibly the Steambox. Outside of those, it would take a new player in the industry willing to make that investment and pin their whole business on licensing the operating system itself, like how Microsoft sells Windows. I wonder what things would be like if Microsoft had launched the original Xbox as essentially an open Windows TV box back in 2001.

As for the current consoles, if anything PlayStation and Nintendo are becoming MORE open. Not totally open, but Sony and Nintendo now realize the benefit of lowering your barrier of entry for developers, and are trying to strike a balance.

DocSeuss

I'll write up a longer response later; can't believe I missed this thread the first time around.

but I think, in response to the title, they're also better for developers (see: successful indies, or guys like Bethesda who thrive because their games can be modded on PC) and, yeah, publishers (long-tail sales and no worrying about backwards compatibility, rather than a console-limited "first sixty days").

That said, I think there are some extremely problematic things with PC gaming--currently the most open platform--that revolve around Steam. And I think there's a way to fix it.

Fully agreed Durante, open platforms are the spawning pool of true innovation, genuine competition and customer-friendly policies. What I always find perplexing though is that so many gamers rise up in arms about shady DRM practices on consoles while simultaneously turning a blind eye to the fact that a) they've been actively advocating these practices through their buying habits and b) control through DRM has been the endgame of pretty much every closed hardware platform since day 1.

Gamers worldwide need to take responsibility for their actions. Every time they buy into a closed platform "for the exclusives", or because they're fans of a specific company, or because "it's more convenient", they should be fully aware of the fact that they're willingly signing off on a number of their rights, among those access to competing marketplaces and the freedom to do as they please with their hardware.

The issue of Steam is an interesting one. Personally, I like Valve. They have a (mostly) customer-friendly attitude and they employ a DRM scheme that is, in my personal opinion, the best they can get away with without losing support from major publishers. They also support the community and their implementation of free2play and microtransactions is by far the best in the market. They helped prop up PC gaming in the dark times when retailers, publishers and even Microsoft tried to kill it and they're reaping the rewards now. I'm fine with that.

That said, while Steam is operating on an open platform (the PC), in itself it is a pretty locked-down ecosystem. I consider this a necessary evil, in the sense that PC gaming needs an easy-to-use ecosystem to lure in more gamers from console land. Steam's marketshare is huge and Valve have become, maybe unwillingly so, the "face" of PC gaming, a sort of "platform holder" for the PC. For the time being I accept this.

Why? I think that PC gaming will face a lot of challenges going forward and it will come once again under fire from closed platform holders. I liken the situation to that of ancient Rome, where an individual would be given special, emperor-like authority to deal with an external threat effectively. I feel that this is the situation today with gaming. Valve have been given caesar-like authority to combat the threat of consoles and closed platforms like iOS.

Once that threat is gone, and I'm certain that it will because I believe in the power of open platforms, I expect Valve to dismantle their army before they cross the Rubicon, so to speak. I want the Steam API to open up to everyone, I want the store front decoupled from the client, I want Newell's plans for the future of Steam to come to fruition as soon as possible. If they don't, there's always a chance that they'll "turn evil". At least on an open platform we (gamers) have the freedom to jump ship and support a competitor within the same platform. This is impossible in the realm of console gaming

So, how hard is it to learn to use Linux?

It's pretty easy if everything goes according to plan. I had zero problems adjusting to Ubuntu's Unity interface, but the situation with drivers and such (I have an AMD card) is still problematic. I think the Steambox stands a much better chance at making Linux gaming mainstream, as it will have a single hardware configuration and a controlled environment so as to not scare away the less tech-savvy people.

Durante

Agreed on all points with the OP, but I don't think it needs to be only one or only the other in my opinion. Closed platforms are generally more accessible and more reliable on the flipside. I definitely believe that for computer software in general, at least one open platform should always exist, whether that be Windows or Android.

Other media like books and movies don't really have curated platforms at all. Anyone can write a book without having to go to some central gatekeeper. Anyone can record video and print it on a DVD. Anyone can record sound and play it back as an mp3. You can't say the same for console games.

It think it's best if you have a choice between open platforms and closed platforms that essentially compete with each other, like what you have now between iOS and Android in the mobile OS market. Power users can go to the open platform for choice and flexibility, while people who just want something that works can go to the closed platform. This is essentially the entire difference between PC gaming and console gaming right now.
I agree with all of this. Its nice to have choice, even the choice of not having choice. However, I'd like to add that for open software platform to exist, we need to remain vigilant. Lock-in is a far greater danger for software and games than pretty much any other medium, simply because of the amount of infrastructure and surrounding libraries required to get anything done.

It's nice to see this thread up again, it does seem particularly relevant now.

Windows is not an open platform. It is 100% controlled by Microsoft. The fact that we can still play old games on Windows 8, is only because Microsoft doesn't want to lose all their business customers with 15-year old applications. This could change at any moment, with the next Windows patch.

zoku88

I agree with all of this. Its nice to have choice, even the choice of not having choice. However, I'd like to add that for open software platform to exist, we need to remain vigilant. Lock-in is a far greater danger for software and games than pretty much any other medium, simply because of the amount of infrastructure and surrounding libraries required to get anything done.

It's nice to see this thread up again, it does seem particularly relevant now.

I've been thinking of this lately. A lot of software companies have been trying to lock customers into their own ecosystems and have very little interopability (sp?).

For example, a lot of messaging protocols (wtv skype uses, Google Hangouts, etc.)

It's all getting so very very annoying.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think so. I've had a much better time with consoles than the PC. Journey alone was better than every PC exclusive I've played this generation.

Durante

I've been thinking of this lately. A lot of software companies have been trying to lock customers into their own ecosystems and have very little interopability (sp?).

For example, a lot of messaging protocols (wtv skype uses, Google Hangouts, etc.)

It's all getting so very very annoying.
Yeah, Google dropping XMMP support for no reason at all just confirms that their "do no evil" stance is a mere historical anecdote these days.

StuBurns

Banned
Man, your journey enjoyment is irrelevant to the topic.
No, it's not. I could agree open platforms are better for 'gaming', as in, in terms of the industry, but better for games? Not in my experience, because the best games haven't been on it, and not better for gamers as a blanket statement, better for some, sure, but not all.

Rashid

Banned
Example of an open platform? Android. Only games with DRM are bought, like Chrono Trigger, but because it's DRM, not many do. People pirate and emulate games instead.

A closed system is best. There's ridiculous amounts of piracy without it, and piracy is one of the reasons there's far fewer game studios then in 2006.

I don't think so. I've had a much better time with consoles than the PC. Journey alone was better than every PC exclusive I've played this generation.

Your horrible taste aside, every time games are made for / ported to for the PC platform it is almost like a net gain for all of gaming even if just for the preservation aspect. I can go purchase and run Fallout 2 on my machine natively whereas it is kind of iffy if you will even be able to purchase Journey from Sony in 5 years (outside of a used copy of the limited disc release of it) let alone the fact you have to have a two hundred+ dollar dongle to run it (the PS3).

Example of an open platform? Android. Only games with DRM are bought, like Chrono Trigger, but because it's DRM, not many do. People pirate and emulate games instead.

A closed system is best. There's ridiculous amounts of piracy without it, and piracy is one of the reasons there's far fewer game studios then in 2006.

lol

Top Bottom