• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales producer: No plans for X1, PS4, Wii U; will move when most Tales fans have

Thorgal

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/04/tales-producer-no-plans-for-xbox-one-ps4-wii-u/

"Compared to the existing consoles like the Xbox 360 or PS3, the PS4 and Xbox One have much improved CPU, GPU, and memory," Baba told us, "So I think they [have] more potential, especially with visual effects. I'm afraid I don't have any plans to release for titles for the Xbox One or PS4, because my policy is to release Tales titles to the console which most of the fans want to play on."

When asked about the Wii U, Baba said "Same as the Xbox One and PS4, I don't have any plans to release titles for the Wii U."

"The reason why Xillia was released only on PS3 was because that is the console where most of the users want to play Tales games," Baba told us . "When more and more users decide to buy a PS4 and want the Tales series on that platform, that will be when we re-assess things."

the article also mentions the fact that symphonia for PS3 was anounced eventough baba was quashing those rumors mere weeks ago.

So they may be a little wary about what he says. :)

lock if old.

EDIT : had to tweak the text a little since there was a banned site link in there.

Considering how long it fucking took them to realize Tales fans want games on PS3, they should probably stick there for a while until the decision is easy to make next-gen.

lostones

Banned
makes sense they have to go where the money is.... he mentioned tales fans are on ps3 , did vesperia flop on 360?

GamerJM

Banned
They might just wait for one of the big three to moneyhat them. Wasn't Symphonia on the Gamecube because Nintendo moneyhatted Namco and Microsoft apparently moneyhatted Namco for Vesperia? (which is why the PS3 version was never localized)

grumble

Upside: less risk
Downside: best chance to gain brand awareness and marketshare is by releasing early in a gen. Dramatically kill your upside.

It wouldn't be a smash hit because it's too anime cutesy to sell millions out west. If they changed up their artstyle so that more people wouldn't be put off by the artstyle it would be a real seller though, since the mechanics are great.

Khrno

So then the next game (after Symphonia HD) will be a new PS3 game or another port/remake for Vita or 3DS.

Give it time.

Pretty much. I'm guessing we'll see one more Tales game on the PS3 before development moves to next-gen. They kinda screwed around too much this past gen by releasing a game on the 360, then the Wii before finally realizing that the biggest fanbase for the series was hanging out on the PS3.

Thats a shame ;_;_;

I wish they would show some more effort with the series! The last games made me cry and I always enjoyed those games. Jude Mathis is easily my favourite character of all time ^^

please dear namco ;___; omodetto ;_;

StuBurns

Banned
Considering they still haven't released an original PS3 entry in the West, and the PS3 is about to be smothered in it's sleep, I'm not surprised.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go handheld after another PS3 one.

TreIII

Silly move. By the time a tales game comes to next gen consoles. They will be up against rpg rivals.

Given SE's output this last generation? I don't think Tales Team has much to be concerned about.

Anyway, the best news about this is that hopefully we won't have to worry about Tales games hopping all over the damn place. I'll be just fine sticking with the PS3 for a while longer until they decide which one is the best fit for next-gen.

trmas

Banned
Well, seeing as how the Xbone has no prayer in Japan, I'd expect to see them on the PS4 or WiiU eventually. They probably are waiting to see what Sony does with the PS4 first.

Dragon

Banned
How exactly are they going to know which console the tales fans go to? Just assume PS4 because of what happened this gen with PS3?

Biker19

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised. Install base is a big factor.

Definitely agree.

Considering how long it fucking took them to realize Tales fans want games on PS3, they should probably stick there for a while until the decision is easy to make next-gen.

Also agree. Most people buy JRPG's like the Tales series on PS3 more so than on Xbox 360, & developing new Tales games for the Wii U is kind of risky, because the install base for it isn't large enough worldwide.

Yazus

PS1 -> PS2 -> PS3 -> ?

Actually I bought a 360 when I heard Vesperia was on it, also SO4 got a 360 relase along with Last Remnant and FF13.

Eventually the JRPG market shifted from 360 to PS3 and I have yet to buy one and I'm mad because I'm missing tons of tales etc. Will buy one soon

wrowa

It seems rather obvious that after a decade of jumpin around every plattform possible Namco has decided to make Tales (mostly) exclusive to Sony plattforms. A sound move, actually.

I'm not convinced they are jumping generations any time soon, though. I think we're at least going to see one new mainline game for the PS3; it just doesn't make much sense for mid-tier Japanese games to switch plattforms already.

Top Bottom