• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X going overseas? "Of Course", probably on separate servers

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not entirely sure what he means by saying it might not run in the Dragon Quest style.

Polygon said:
The big question behind the PC port for us non-Japanese folk, however: Does this mean an overseas release is in the works? "Of course," Miyake said. "However, as for whether it'll be run in the Dragon Quest style in the overseas market, every nation has its own play style and sensibilities, so I don't think it'll be a single game worldwide like with Final Fantasy 11."

"This is just my personal viewpoint," added Saito, "but different countries consume their games at different speeds and the way the communities are run also differ. Even the way people enjoy seasonal events is different, so I think we need to divide the running of it by country or region. So we're thinking about having separate servers for each country."
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/10/45...s-discuss-the-pc-port-and-eventual-us-release

Scrawnton

I think it just means region locking the servers. Also, I cant see this game coming to america on PC and NOT on Wii U. Not sure what say nintendo has in this.

Bringing the game over to the west? Brilliant, good work Square-Enix!

Separate servers? <facepalm> <slaps S-E> What the heck are you thinking? This is *not* a good idea. Essentially region locking a PC game. You idiots.. :(

Scrawnton

Bringing the game over to the west? Brilliant, good work Square-Enix!

Separate servers? <facepalm> <slaps S-E> What the heck are you thinking? This is *not* a good idea. Essentially region locking a PC game. You idiots.. :(

....or we can not get the game? I dont think I want an online game that lets me play with people who had the game for over a year already. That would completely ruin the experience for me...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
wut?
gimme DQX for Wii U as a game playable offline-singleplayer witht he option to be entirely played online in coop, and will be dayone for me.

LtOrange

I will take it. Makes sense region locking if F2P is the way they are going. It is just nice to hear some type of acknowledgement that it is in the works.

So we're thinking about having separate servers for each country.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Hopefully we can pick the server we want.

Anyway, bought. PC or Wii U? Hard choice.

TDLink

I am guessing this means one or both of the following:

• Offline "Single-Player" an option
  • Free to Play instead of subscription

Well this is good news I suppose, though it would be nice to get something official from SE or Nintendo. I think this just means that we're getting F2P and they can't have subs and non-subs on the same server (Just a wild guess). And I'm still not convinced the Wii U version will make it here, even though that's the one I personally want.

MrT-Tar

I've always believed that it would be localised. Didn't we have a thread where the 3DS eshop spinoff was suddenly given a French title, hence implying a PAL localisation for at least that?

Cool.

It sounds like he's talking about how MMOs are played differently around the world. Some people pay for game time at cafes, some use F2P, some use subscriptions. For example, World of Warcraft is subscription based in the US and Europe and you buy game time at cafes in Asia. WoW also has separate servers for each territory.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well this is good news I suppose, though it would be nice to get something official from SE or Nintendo. I think this just means that we're getting F2P and they can't have subs and non-subs on the same server (Just a wild guess). And I'm still not convinced the Wii U version will make it here, even though that's the one I personally want.

I think it will. Nintendo is desperate for games and I'm reasonably confident Nintendo agreed to push the franchise in the West when they got the series back on Nintendo platforms.

Sojiro

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Hopefully we can pick the server we want.

Anyway, bought. PC or Wii U? Hard choice.

This would be one I would double dip on and get both versions. If the kids have the Wii U and I need my fix, i'll shift over to the PC lol. Region specific servers make me sad, hopefully that isn't the meaning of that statement? (I don't see how it isn't though). Either way, this is one of my most anticipated Wii U games and i'm damn happy if it will make it to the west.

I think it just means region locking the servers. Also, I cant see this game coming to america on PC and NOT on Wii U. Not sure what say nintendo has in this.

None, it's not their game. If they've already made a deal then Square Enix obviously have to go through with it and if they haven't, they're free to skip the Wii U version if they like.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U version were skipped over.

Gloam

Man, would be sad if my DQX guy was lost to the ether, still an English language release would be very, very welcome.

None, it's not their game. If they've already made a deal then Square Enix obviously have to go through with it and if they haven't, they're free to skip the Wii U version if they like.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U version were skipped over.
Yeah, while it pains me to think it, I can definitely see Nintendo skipping over this and thinking it would be a failure in the West. I would even be happy with a eShop only release. The game will already be localized for the PC by SE so what harm could there be in releasing it as a digital-only product?

Separate servers for each country...

I'm sure my fellow Dutchfolk will be excited to hear that they only can play with the 100 others who will also be buying the game in my country.

Anustart

Separate servers for each country...

I'm sure my fellow Dutchfolk will be excited to hear that they only can play with the 100 others who will also be buying the game in my country.

I'd highly doubt separate servers for each country. Going to be region if anything, Pal, Ntsc-u, Ntsc-j.

I don't understand why we haven't seen this in the U.S., unless it's being held back intentionally because of low install base? Reggie loved DQIX, it sold really well, and I thought Nintendo "got" Dragon Quest because of the publishing agreements in the West?

impact

Banned
I'll give this a shot on U. Maybe (hopefully) they'll have some kind of trial for a week or couple days or something.

Also they should let EU and US play together, its only the JP (JPPTONRY) that don't wanna play with foreigners.

Neifirst

I wouldn't be shocked if they (Nintendo and SE) were saving a North American WiiU release for late next spring. They're throwing as many proven sellers out there as possible this holiday through Mario Kart 8 in April to generate a userbase and this also gives SE time to create more offline content too.

I'd still rather have it now though!

Heyt

Banned

tumblr_inline_mnryz5cxHu1qz4rgp.jpg

Sojiro

I'd highly doubt separate servers for each country. Going to be region if anything, Pal, Ntsc-u, Ntsc-j.

I might even be a bit more optimistic and think it would be JP servers, and the rest of the world servers. Segmenting both NA and EU on a niche MMO, would make those servers look pretty damn empty. Not a doubt in the mind the japanese are more than happy not to have us westerners on their servers though.

Weird that everyones mentally dismissing this possibility, but what about retooling/rebranding the game as something different altogether? The DQ brand has never really had much in the way of legs in the west vs. Japan. And subs have not been gangbusters on their home court either. I think this is what he might be talking about.

Edit: rereading the whole quote in context actually makes it seem more like a change in accessibility/servers. Disregard!

creid

After giving this a little more thought, I'm afraid "overseas" might refer to other Asian countries, and not necessarily NA. I would hope that if the game comes here it isn't converted to a drastically different free to play experience, but I guess it would be better than no Dragon Quest X at all.

Tripon

It would probably be free to play for everyone besides Japan. China is the largest growing gaming market right now and free to play PC gaming dominates in that country due to the strict rules about owning consoles that doesn't apply to PC.

KiTA

It's a Dragon Quest game... what other style would it have? What does that statement even mean? o_O

F2P, perhaps. Or XP rates adjusted for us foolish gaijin who can't handle "real" MMOs.

Anyway, this is great news. I hope DQM1R and DQ7R are in the works too.

How would F2P work for this game, what would they close off? I loved DQIX (my first) and was looking forward to some more remakes of the older versions and was really looking forward to X coming to the states. I'm just not sure how F2P would work for it.

Offline with local MP would be much better IMO. Too bad it's only for the PC, a 3DS version with awesome MP like MH3U would be perfect.

KiTA

Oh yeah, they're totally going to completely redo the entire game so you can play offline single player. That makes sense.

Jesus christ. Get a grip. I know a lot of people hate MMORPGs, but they're not going to magically turn DQX into a single player RPG.

Cmagus

Wonder how international markets would do. The game is a lot of fun forr me playing through the recent beta but a lot of people will be turned off by the gameplay and visuals. Doubt a pay subscription would work on this title.

FourMyle

Holy shit I thought they would keep this JP exclusive. I will buy a Wii U as soon as they localize this.

edit - Apparently this game is being ported to the PC? No need to waste money on a Wii u? F'ing awesome

Etzer

Old thread, but I thought this was interesting/relevant to post.
I took a survey on upcoming videogames and was surprised to see "Dragon Quest X: The Five Awakening Races" listed. There was also a Gundam game I hadn't heard of (Mobile Suit Gundam: Battle 3D)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I took a survey on upcoming videogames and was surprised to see "Dragon Quest X: The Five Awakening Races" listed. There was also a Gundam game I hadn't heard of (Mobile Suit Gundam: Battle 3D)

Gundam: The Battle 3D, you which came out not too far after 3DS Japanese launch...is that you? O_O

Vamphuntr

creid

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom