• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you the Alpha among your group of friends or are you amongst the Betas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Protein

Banned
Who is the Alpha/Beta of the group? I'm usually the Alpha of the group. Took me a long time to gain enough confidence to be the man I am today. Unless of course I'm with a certain friend of mine, then I'm his subordinate because he is dripping with charisma and testosterone, plus swag like no other man I've known. I cannot compete and he out-alphas me in every way.

Are you a snapback or a fedora?

Viewt

I dunno, I don't really have a leader/subordinate dynamic with my friends. We just kind of... hang out?

The alpha/beta thing's always come off a little silly to me.

Aiii

So not worth it
In part, yeah, I take the lead if nescessary in any group I'm in. Though that's mostly because indecisiveness pisses me off.

But do I HAVE to be the leader? No, not anymore. If anyone else takes the lead, I'll gladly follow.

Definitely the alpha. I make sure to thump my chest and grunt loudly at the first sign of defiance from my pack. Any time I make new friends I urinate on them to make sure they know who's boss.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
We aren't fucking wolves, we are humans, and the only people who seriously call themselves alphas are almost always pathetic insecure little children who have no concept of what an alpha in the animal world really means. An alpha is a leader, not a douchebag fuckbag who talks more than acts.

phaonaut

Who is the Alpha/Beta of the group? I'm usually the Alpha of the group. Took me a long time to gain enough confidence to be the man I am today. Unless of course I'm with a certain friend of mine, then I'm his subordinate because he is dripping with charisma and testosterone, plus swag like no other man I've known. I cannot compete and he out-alphas me in every way.

Are you a snapback or a fedora?

Doesn't thinking about this subject, automatically put you in the beta category?

Risgroo

We aren't fucking wolves, we are humans, and the only people who seriously call themselves alphas are almost always pathetic insecure little children who have no concept of what an alpha in the animal world really means. An alpha is a leader, not a douchebag fuckbag who talks more than acts.

That sounds like something a beta would say...

Haha, true that. I try to be a leader, but not so much that my friends think I'm bossy in any form (unlike my older brother who constantly forces his friends to do stuff).

wct5kdmxds.gif

siddx

Haha, true that. I try to be a leader, but not so much that my friends think I'm bossy in any form (unlike my older brother who constantly forces his friends to do stuff).

Leading is about being decisive and knowing what you want. Nothing worse than someone who thinks they are a leader because they are loud and obnoxious and aggressive. A real leader gets people to listen through intelligence, confidence, and good decision making.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If you classify people with the terms alpha and beta...well...shit, I was going to say "you're almost definitely a beta" but that traps me in a logical loop doesn't it?

Meh, you know what I mean

Permanently A

This thread made me realize my group of friends are from every spectrum of alpha and beta. There is the uber alpha but also the uber beta

strangely enough I fall perfectly in the middle

lmpaler

Except with one friend, I'm always the alpha. When he is around we feed off each other and usually get in trouble lol

Mesoian

I dunno, I don't really have a leader/subordinate dynamic with my friends. We just kind of... hang out?

The alpha/beta thing's always come off a little silly to me.

Yeah, my friends and I always had a very Healthcliff vibe when hanging out.

heathcliff__co_1491.png

Carnby

Is this a serious question? What kind of group of friends has a "leader"? Unless we are talking about a group of friends that are children, this doesn't make sense.

Protein

Banned

It's a humorous way of saying 'are you the more assertive one of your group? Do you take charge?' Not "yo bro I be mackin' on all dem hunnies cuz Im da shit yo."

I bring this thread up in particular because I had a friend that refused to talk to girls (without my lead), go up to a DJ to request a song, and he let people constantly get in front of him when he was ordering a drink. Heck a guy came along and stole a girl he was talking to the whole night. I have friends like this and it irks me to a certain extent. I'm trying to bring out their self-confidence.

siddx

If you classify people with the terms alpha and beta...well...shit, I was going to say "you're almost definitely a beta" but that traps me in a logical loop doesn't it?

Meh, you know what I mean

haha I had the same problem. I was going to say "the only people who use those terms seriously are betas" but that just leaves me looking like an idiot.

Josh7289

I have a feeling that saying you're "an alpha" might be an excuse to just be an asshole. But who knows... I don't know anyone in real life who uses these idiotic terms.

lil smoke

Banned
It depends on the group of friends.

For the most part I think it depends on the situation also.

So yeah, we take turns LOL

siddx

Is this a serious question? What kind of group of friends has a "leader"? Unless we are talking about a group of friends that are children, this doesn't make sense.

The leader concept isn't that out there really, most groups of friends have at least one (sometimes more) guys who the others revolve around. He makes decisions, decides on activities and where to go and the others gravitate towards him. Not always, but it's fairly common. I've been that guy making decisions, and I've also been the guy who lets someone else make the calls. It's not really about "big and strong" but rather "is able to make a decision quickly and stick with it."

I'm so alpha you have to add an extra A to the beginning of the word to describe it. I'm Aalpha. I regularly prove my virility to my peers and then they kill themselves out of shame.

I dunno, I tend not to think of people as letters.

That sounds like something a beta would say.

i took some greek in college

this was not taught in that

Joke thread?

I mean: OOOWHHHOWHHHH AHHHH AHHH AHHHHHH!!!!

God help me if I start seeing shirts.

"I'm an alpha"

this is fun

snacknuts

we all knew her
I feel like Brucie from GTA IV recently got a bunch of alt accounts on GAF.

In my group of friends, I guess I'm the alpha by default. Most of them are indecisive and not extremely confident. I'm no Dos Equis guy, but I feel good about myself and tend to take charge in group situations with those guys. I'm generally content to be a "beta" if another dude would rather be the center of attention.

Theonik

Protein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom