• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Influence of Jackie Chan & Bruce Lee in FG's

AAK

I love the internet when they do things like this. A youtube user PepperBeef2Spicy did a marathon of Jackie Chan & Bruce Lee movies outlining how they all influenced Tekken. It was pure nostalgic joy watching them all:

Bruce Lee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4OoED3Nf8A

Jackie Chan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFbI6fHuKWE

Looking back when I first started gaming in the PS1 era, it was stuff like this which made me so entertained and passionate about videogames.

Fei Long
Marshall Law
Forest Law
Lui Kang
Jann Lee

My favorite being Forest Law.

I try to main every Bruce Lee clone in the FG's I play lol

hitmonchan, hitmonlee

Bayonetta makes Bruce Lee-like noises when using a secret unlockable weapon.

We need legit Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee games at some point.

BadWolf

Yeah Jackie Chan was the reason Lei caught my eye in Tekken 2 (my first Tekken).

He's still pretty much the only character I really like in the series.

Xav

mNb4jXE.jpg

mellamoaaron

Neo Member
I only played as Marshall & Forest Law in Tekken. Lei WuLong would be my second most played character. Never really cared for any once else (not even Eddie Gordo)

Recall

Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan...

Lei Wulong from Tekken is a Jackie clone. There is both drunken master and Police Story elements to his moveset too.

danmaku

Lei Wulong is the best.

This. I wonder if there are other FG with Jackie Chan characters. I know that there are a ton of games about Jackie, and a couple of them are FG, but homages like Lei? Can't think of anyone else.

Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan...

Lei Wulong from Tekken is a Jackie clone. There is both drunken master and Police Story elements to his moveset too.

It's funny, if you watch his movies after playing Tekken you can tell the input for basically every move that Jackie does (at least the "standard" ones, not counting his insane stunts).

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
All the old man "Pei Mei" influences

Gen
GenSFA3.jpg

Gouken
Tumblr_lld3klukXu1qerkrro1_400.jpg

Gen fu
genfu-dim.png

Chin
ChinWinXIII.png

Genbu
okina-blade1.jpg

Shujinko
shujinko-mkd.jpg

Heihachi
heihachi-bg1.jpg

Shang Tsung
shangtsung-mkd.jpg

Liu Yunfei
yunfei-z.jpg

Shun of course
sub_shun_p01.jpg

Law is obviously a Bruce Lee imitation, but those move comparisons are kind of a stretch. Most of them aren't even similar, and one of them is the generic punches that's are the same for every character.

I think a Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan action/adventue game from Rocksteady using their Arkham combat system and animations could be incredible. Just speed up the combat a bit, and get rid of the "Batman walk" in favor of a full analog movement system.

Mr. X

Jacky from Virtua Fighter is my favorite Bruce Lee/JKD fighting game character. He isn't a lookalike. He's a racecar driver like Steve McQueen, who was taught by Bruce Lee.

Any nunchaku user is Bruce Lee inspired. It was a training tool for hands in martial arts, rarely ever a weapon until Bruce Lee.

Hon Fu (Fatal Fury 3) is a Jackie Chan inspired character.

Shun Di has many references to Jackie Chan's "Drunken Master" films.

ElFly

I love that the videomaker took the time to dress each character in the costume closest to the movie characters.

Which isn't that surprising for Law, which seems to have all the relevant Bruce Lee costumes, but for the enemies too.

Top Bottom