• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

Welcome to Mangaf. We're here to discuss manga-related things. Please read the rules regarding spoilers. If you would like recommendations, check out the faq and the list below or ask around!
sdv.jpg

10 of Some Of The Probably Most Regularly Read Non-Smut Manga, Since No One Agrees What Should Be Here OTX Banner Gen 1 | Gen 2 | Gen 3 | Gen 4 | Shoujosei Week
Ln8.png

10 Most Regularly Read Sort-Of Smut Manga OTX SmutBanner Gen 1 | Gen 2 | Gen 3 | Gen 4 | HipsterBanner
Mn8.png

*See The Nicknames List below for full, proper names of these titles.

Simple rules to follow so we can discuss our favorite manga easily:

1. Sort of guide to how you should post.
In bold, put the name of the series. Then you can go ahead and discuss whatever is on your mind without tags, okay? Make sure there is a space between the bolded name of the series and your text. Here's an example:
Hunter X Hunter 505

It rules and I don't know why!

2. Regarding manga scanlations.
duckroll said:
This is the last time I am ever going to say this. I believe I have mentioned this before. Do not ever, ever direct link to illegal piracy shit. This includes manga releases, manga scanlations, sites and apps which provide such access, etc. STOP DOING IT. This thread is for the discussion of manga, not for the exchange and distribution of illegal material. Don't ask, don't tell. Future offenses will result in normal moderation consequences. Do not reply to this message, just move along. If you have a question, PM me.

So to repeat, DO NOT link to any manga scanlations websites or ask where to read manga.

If you post a panel or page, there should be no logo of any site on it.​

3. Regarding spoilers in this thread.
We will discuss all the manga in one topic with no tags. If you don't want to be spoiled by the chapter as soon as the translation is out, do not come in here. Also, since we are not talking about the anime, you can mention new episodes without tags either since they are always behind or are filler. You should know well enough not to come in here not wanting to be spoiled. Please bold the header of your post as shown in rule 1 to help other posters avoid spoilers.

Again, no spoiler tags for text needed, that is the benefit of coming here.

Caveats:
Leaks do not count as translation or scans. If a translation has not been released yet, spoiler tag any leaks and discussion of the chapter. Leaks should be sourced (a name/location at least, if a link is not possible).

Regarding image spoilers: "Please do not embed major spoiler images, ever."

4. I don't know what manga to read. Can you guys help?
Obviously the best way is to ask in the thread so we can give you recommendations that fit your taste better, but if you don't want to do then there are two excellent threads to check out for a list of good manga. Some good advice: don't ask for recommendations late Tuesday and Wednesday.

If you are a shounenhead and want your manga filled with hot blooded action then read cosmicblizzard's nifty thread of awesome battle manga.

If you prefer seinen manga or non-mainstream manga then read flawfuls thread of awesome lesser known manga.

Other possibilities collected from this thread and link to a list of recommendations/impressions will be found in the second post below.​

5. About reading manga on tablets.
If you are looking for manga-reading tech on tablets, Jintor suggests Mango and suko_32 has more details on his tablet setup.​

The Nicknames List
Sometimes people talk about series with a pet nickname and thereby render themselves completely incomprehensible. Therefore, we have a handy list here that might help with 1) translating the banners above and 2) translating our local maniacs' jargon.
  1. A Town Where You _____ = Kimi no Iru Machi
  2. Aunt Tits = Minamoto-kun Monogatari
  3. Dogsuit Smut = Kanojo wa Sore wo Gaman Dekinai
  4. Food Smut = Shokugeki no Soma
  5. Kingdom Hearts = Nisekoi
  6. KNIM = Kimi no Iru Machi
  7. Not Popular = It's not my fault that I'm not popular!
  8. Rage Town = Kimi no Iru Machi
  9. Smutterfly Effect = Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite (yep)
  10. Super Interesting Darkness = To Love RU Darkness
  11. Swagamoto (or Swagmoto) = Sakamoto desu ga
  12. Wahjah Moe = It's not my fault that I'm not popular!

Other cool and relevant material
Link to our resident Pixel King Neoriceisgood's full set of 100 manga/anime avatars
Akito's gallery of all the Weekly Shounen Jump covers
bigkrev commentary and criticism of digital manga in the west.
Akito's gallery of all the Weekly Shounen Sunday covers
Mockingbird and Fancy Poster GAF fancy poster if you want it.

The Strange Pile
duckroll wildly guesses Magi will end by Chapter 230
Meet our resident coward Wiseblade
I didn't know Obama's email so I sent it to amazon instead. upandaway's brain fart.
Twitter party
echothreealpha making 20 dollar bet on Naruto.
~ Manga Thread IRC ~ wonzo: Welp, went ahead and made a manga irc channel at #MangaGAF @ irc.rizon.net More info here.
BassForever collects your Friend Codes in one place; invade his house in Animal Crossing for revenge.
Crimsonlink organizes more Friend Codes into lists.
Kuritabot courtesy of AlabastreAizo

Previous Threads
OT1
OT2
OT3
OT4 SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES
OT5 We Post on Wednesdays
OT6 Hot blooded smut!
OT7 This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.
OTL Not a lick of constructive conversation here
OTZ Reading Shounen Garbage > Watching Moe Garbage

WALL OF SHAME FOR OTZ
mgv.jpg

Should probably try a different manga next time

dramatis

WARNING: There may be spoilers in some of these recs (rec), reviews (rev), impressions (imp). If you want to avoid that, just post a general question about the manga (don't do this on Wednesday though). Most recent at top. Links to previous recommendations at bottom.

1. This was a great story. Wished there were many more. I only started reading because I heard it was from the author of Claymore and I'm so glad I read it! For Angel Densetsu. From Mockingbird.
  2. dawwwwww: the manga For Nuroduke!. From LeleSocho.
  3. Jogging has never been so ruthless For Runners Heaven. From Lain. (???)
  4. An incredibly cynical and self-deprecating gag series on the woeful lives of mangaka in all their shapes, sizes, and misfortunes. A must read if you're looking for comedy as it's pretty goddamn hilarious. For Super Cruel and Terrible Tales of Mangaka. From wonzo. (rec)
  5. The art is ace and the setting is incredibly intriguing. For Immortal Hounds. From wonzo. (imp)
  6. And then the author decided to do this page? For Cloth Road. From Cerity. (imp)
  7. What can I say, tomboyish tsundere childhood friends are the best For A Leisurely Report. From Vito.
  8. This series is just so... entertainingly pure. For Kimi ni Koishite Desu Ka. From Cerity. (imp)
  9. It's just plain interesting, definitely a special series given the topic, dare I say I found it eye-opening and educational. For Silver Spoon. From akaoni. (imp)
  10. All in all, it wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. All I can say about it is, there's some wasted potential as far as I'm concerned and it makes me sad. For Holyland. From Lain. (rev)
  11. Had to go back and re-read this one. Still one of my favorite manwha. For Veritas. From Atredeus. (rev)
  12. I loved this first volume. Everything about it was great. For Trinity 7 Vol 1. From Lain. (imp)
  13. It's quite a surprise, I didn't expect it to be such a decent read. For Ame Nochi Hare. From Vito. (imp)
  14. This is quite good so far, Rikitaro may not a radiant hero but his heart is in the right place and his determination is admirable... once he has made up mind. For RRR Vol 1. From Akito. (imp)
  15. Tsubasa sees the brass band play at Koshien so she joins the school to be in it, meets Daisuke, a catcher for the baseball team, with similar dreams. For Aozora Yell. From Vito. (imp?)
  16. It's like I was reading just another cute hentai manga, but the build-up extended to 26 chapters. For Comic Studio. From Nordicus. (rev)
  17. Not as good as Cross Game but a very readable series in itself. For H2. From akaoni. (rev)
  18. RIP AND TEAR From wonzo. (things you shouldn't read)
  19. Lovely story. For Bitansan Danshi 01. From Dedication Through Light. (well)
  20. Slightly fast paced closed to the end but a really nice BL on one who adores his teacher so much and dreams of living with him. For Koi no Enchousen. From Dedication Through Light. (???)
  21. Has lots of Sengoku history. Has lots of pretty guys. Has great art. What more could I ask for? For Mikazuki Ryuu Ibun. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  22. I guess the easily thing to say is RIP the teacher's career. For Omaera Zenin Mendokusai! 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  23. Guy has prophetic dreams. For Koi wa Ina Mono Myouna Mono. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  24. As ( ´ 3 ` ) as the anime just kinda surprised to see some events expanded. For Pupipo!. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  25. It's an decent oneshot, then again I'm biased since I like most Takako Shimura's work. For The First Thing I Do in the Morning Is. From Vito.
  26. Quite interesting and the art ain't bad either. For Day of the Egg Vol 1. From Lain. (imp)
  27. Vito jabbers about Takako Shimura.
  28. It's neat to have a medical manga where the characters don't stay at the hospital, this way we can get intense scenes in various places. For Dr. DMAT. From Kurita. (imp)
  29. I like the potentiality in the story. For Holyland. From Lain. (imp)
  30. A boy cursed with being a con artist using such gift to defeat evil. For Ana no Mujina. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  31. If by chance you're keeping up with Pupipo, definitely give this a read. For High Score Girl. From Solune. (imp, see pic)
  32. Fourth storage post for this thread.
  33. Third storage post for this thread.
  34. Second storage post for this thread.
  35. First storage post for this thread.
  36. Recommendations from |OTZ|.
  37. Recommendations from |OTL|.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Still think we shoulda gone with |OTX| Too mentally challenged to understand Bleach

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Wow...new thread already...what the hell. I probably hardly posted in the last thread. Fantastic opening image.
Still think we shoulda gone with |OTX| Too mentally challenged to understand Bleach
Would have liked this, but current title is good. Would have been nice if it was TITlES.

Edit: Also, One Piece is shit

So cool to see Kuragehime being used in the OP (although I think OPM so far is the best one).
Toriko: What is this. I don't even.
Shokugeki no Soma I could have passed on the pong but the new guy seems cool.

upandaway

Shokugeki no Soma first page

OOF

this is a dangerous way of opening a chapter

edit: okay no i seriously can't go read the chapter and not sit there and smile before i snap out of it

So is that mega bomba status for World Trigger volume 2? Sold about as much as a guide book to a series that ended months ago. Glad to see Soma > Nisekoi

World Trigger should actually be positive news, since it manged to sell better than all those non hit forgotten series. I thought its fairly good debut for something that doesnt hit top five weekly . Maybe it will even get a large reprint like v1 did...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";81349645]One Piece only has one story arc repeated over and over.[/QUOTE]

This is shockingly rather accurate :p

upandaway

Shokugeki no Soma

That Tadokoro smile, ya'll. That smile.

Sports Soma was fun and then a convenient low elite spot for Soma to take appears. I've been ready for an explanation about the election since this chapter, but I guess I can wait.

How do they decide who gets pushed off the elite? How will the ranking be decided? Do they have any duties or is it just some title? How many will be replaced in the election? etc etc

dramatis

Man I haven't seen Smutterfly Effect mentioned here in months (unless I'm just not paying enough attention).

Though I wouldn't know what to replace it with.
wonzo calls it something;gate. It is released monthly.

I'll find a yuri manga to pop in.

upandaway

Love the title, it's accurate enough. |OTX| is just weird though, it's kinda like an above view of a dead person (laying on his side sort of)

Soredemo's OP material but oh well. Baby Steps too. Not sure if there's a new smut to put there, it looks like grandjedi is back so we could put Kiss x Sis there just to piss him off (I bet you thought I forgot that, didn't you jedi-man!)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Love the title, it's accurate enough. |OTX| is just weird though, it's kinda like an above view of a dead person (laying on his side sort of)

Soredemo's OP material but oh well. Baby Steps too. Not sure if there's a new smut to put there, it looks like grandjedi is back so we could put Kiss x Sis there just to piss him off (I bet you thought I forgot that, didn't you jedi-man!)
Oh god, was that the incest one?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma

That Tadokoro smile, ya'll. That smile.

Sports Soma was fun and then a convenient low elite spot for Soma to take appears. I've been ready for an explanation about the election since this chapter, but I guess I can wait.

How do they decide who gets pushed off the elite? How will the ranking be decided? Do they have any duties or is it just some title? How many will be replaced in the election? etc etc

You only get on by winning a shokugeki. The idea is that you can't really "jump" to the top since they don't consider anything to be worthy in trade since its essentially a wager.

We're still throwing Bleach in the OP? Okay.

Because it's not a top 10 best manga list it's a top 10 mostly popular list and Bleach is one of the most read series in this thread. Course I'm not sure how Aku no Hana or AKB49 were included over everyone's love to argue round and round about series Attack on Titan.

bigkrev

Because it's not a top 10 best manga list it's a top 10 mostly popular list and Bleach is one of the most read series in this thread. Course I'm not sure how Aku no Hana or AKB49 were included over everyone's love to argue round and round about series Attack on Titan.

Does anyone other than Shouta still read AKB49, and does anyone read Aku no Hana?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom