• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets turn the mirror on ourselves. What are some examples of hyperbole on NeoGaf?

This forum likes to call out the media for doing this all the time but fans of video games should be held culpable as well. After all, who clicks on these reviews right?

I'll kick it off with a GFW Radio classic about the run up to Halo 3.

Edit: How about some instances where fans bought into the hype of a game and just elevated to ridiculous levels? It's easy to post negative reactions.

Amir0x said:
It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS3 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS3. Sony has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a PS3. Except if they want to play MGS4. Which will also come to 360 at some point.

The age of Sony is done.

Yes Boss!

That there are no games for Wii U.

That there are actually exciting things for PS4.

That nobody is going to buy the Xbox One.

(I personally think all three systems are going to struggle)

balohna

Someone posted a thread around E3 with the phrase "At my wits end" referring to deciding what console to buy. I laughed out loud at how silly it sounded to me.

abrack08

Search "garbage". I'd bet a majority of the posts that use the word are (negative) hyperbole.

just like this one

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
GAF flips it's shit and overreacts whenever any feminist says anything about video games. Nitpicking gameplay mechanics for thousands upon thousands of posts is okay, but as soon as someone mentions sexism in games, people throw a fit.

Amir0x

Banned

And yet still the PS3 remains as the hole in the ground that cost Sony every penny of profit they made from PS2, PS1, PSP and every other PlayStation related enterprise.

Sure, they barely managed to squeak out a second place victory worldwide, but I think the admission from Cerny on the PS4 circuit on how many things they did wrong with PS3 and needed to change is at least partial admission that the PS3 was, in large part, a failure - at least in any way a business would measure it (profits). So whatever, MGS4 part notwithstanding, it may be hyperbole, but it's hyperbole with heavy truth in it. >:)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
GAF posts are worse at hyperbole than game reviewers by a country mile.

Gaf is more hyperbolic than 4chan when it comes to a disappointing game.

Cels

a couple weeks ago there was a thread about developers that had never made a "bad" game.

in that thread, various people called these games "awful" or "bad"

• Left 4 Dead
  • Diablo 3
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  • Infamous
  • Max Payne 3
  • Halo: Spartan Assault
  • Nintendogs
  • Jak X: Combat Racing
  • Jak 2
  • Jak 3
  • Oblivion
  • Fallout 3
  • Skyrim
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Modern Warfare 2
  • Modern Warfare 3
  • Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
  • Saints Row 2
  • Madworld
  • Trauma Center
  • Persona 4
  • MGS: Peace Walker
  • MGS: Portable Ops
  • LA Noire
  • Dota 2

QaaQer

[mega-hyped game] is the best game ever. Anyone who says otherwise gets flayed. Unless they wait two weeks. Then it is ok.

EAD Tokyo has the best talent on the planet.

And yet still the PS3 remains as the hole in the ground that cost Sony every penny of profit they made from PS2, PS1, PSP and every other PlayStation related enterprise.

Sure, they barely managed to squeak out a second place victory worldwide, but I think the admission from Cerny on the PS4 circuit on how many things they did wrong with PS3 and needed to change is at least partial admission that the PS3 was, in large part, a failure - at least in any way a business would measure it (profits). So whatever, MGS4 part notwithstanding, it may be hyperbole, but it's hyperbole with heavy truth in it. >:)

Wait your PS3 post was serious?

Not trolling?

I have to rethink neogaf

Chrom

Glorious Nippon.

Muppet345 said:
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

massoluk

Banned
a couple weeks ago there was a thread about developers that had never made a "bad" game.

in that thread, various people called these games "awful" or "bad"

• Left 4 Dead
  • Diablo 3
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  • Infamous
  • Max Payne 3
  • Halo: Spartan Assault
  • Nintendogs
  • Jak X: Combat Racing
  • Jak 2
  • Jak 3
  • Oblivion
  • Fallout 3
  • Skyrim
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Modern Warfare 2
  • Modern Warfare 3
  • Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
  • Saints Row 2
  • Madworld
  • Trauma Center
  • Persona 4
  • MGS: Peace Walker
  • MGS: Portable Ops
  • LA Noire
  • Dota 2

You forgot every iteration of Zelda.

joe2187

Banned
Platinum Games being the best thing since sliced bread. A meh developer all in all.

image.php

This isn't just a GAF thing though.

Anyone who has experienced 1080p and 60 FPS on a gaming PC will find it hard to use anything else.

The bolded in itself is hyperbole, in my opinion. And I game at 1080p/60+fps on MMOs and such on my midtier pc.

What does "hard to use" even mean?

Edit: And holy shit I just noticed I'm no longer a Junior Member. Didn't notice that happen.

Damaniel

Banned
Pretty much the entire GTA V Digital Foundry thread. Yeah, sub-30fps games aren't optimal, but they're not unplayable slideshows either (even for people like me who game mainly on PC).

Guevara

Virtual Reality headsets:
  1. Are obviously the future (obviously)
  2. There's a big market for these devices; Microsoft and Sony really need to tap into it, maybe Nintendo
  3. $300+ is totally a reasonable price for such devices; a bargain really
  4. And they will have a profound impact on gaming as we know it and perhaps society at large

Amir0x

Banned
Wait your PS3 post was serious?

Not trolling?

I have to rethink neogaf

Of course it was serious. At the time we were in, PS3 was losing every single exclusive it ever had from the PS2 gen, every multiplatform game was superior on 360, PS3 was losing in sales worldwide and the final third party game that they still had to call their own of any major scale was FFXIII. When that was lost, I said the comment, which was about that without that final exclusive, I'm not sure how Sony could turn the PS3's fate around.

And of course they didn't. It remains a profit hole in the ground and barely squeaked out second place, while giving up their previous gains in the US and the UK to Microsoft. And the reason they remained in second place is pretty much because Microsoft will never be competitive in Japan.

People always use this post, but they seem to be implying the PS3 isn't a massive business failure.

Oppo

c'mon Ami, you know that post was just a wee bit over the top. parse all you like. it's not what actually happened.

Top Bottom