• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Siliconera: Maybe the time for Dragon Quest in the West is upon us...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
image_thumb55.png

image_thumb56.png

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/20/dragon-quest-fans-heres-glimmer-hope-localized-games/

Siliconera dug up trademarks for Luminaries of the Legendary Line and The Seeds of Salvation registered in Japan by Square Enix. These trademarks are in English, which suggest they will be used for a Western release.

Why do we think these are for Dragon Quest? Well, Luminaries of the Legendary Line and The Seeds of Salvation use the same alliteration modern Dragon Quest games use. Take Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen as an example and note the word flow for the subtitle Chapters of the Chosen. All of the other recent Dragon Quest games have the same flow – Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride, Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation, and Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies. Also, all of the recent Dragon Quest games were revealed through trademarks first – including confirmation for Dragon Quest VI after we didn’t hear anything about that game.

The question is what games will Luminaries of the Legendary Line and The Seeds of Salvation be used for? Dragon Quest X? Dragon Quest VII’s Nintendo 3DS remake? Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry’s Wonderland 3D?

Tizoc

SoS could fit with Dragon Quest 7 at least IMO.
On the other hand, Lumnary means
The luminaries were what traditional astrologers called the two astrological "planets" which were the brightest and most important objects in the heavens, that is, the Sun and the Moon.
Swap Sun and Moon for the Dream and Reality aspect of DQ7 and it'd fit as well.

Either way SHUT UP AND TAKE MY G!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Do anyone remember the Japanese subtitle for DQX? "Luminaries of the Legendary Lines sounds like related to DQX, but I don't know why.

Katsuragi

Not particularly interested in the Dragon Quest Monsters game(s), though it'd be great for fans if they were released in NA/EU. Personally, I really hope we'll see the remake of DQ7 here. :)

Tizoc

Do anyone remember the Japanese subtitle for DQX? "Luminaries of the Legendary Lines sounds like related to DQX, but I don't know why.

In English it is translated to 'Rise of the Five Tribes', so LoLL would fit with it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
They both really sound like the style they recently used for the DQ games, even if they sound stupid. But I take any subtitle they want to give it, as long as I get that DQ7 remake.

Do they usually trademark the English subtitles in Japan?

zulux21

I have to hold out hope that one of these is for dq7 so that I can complete my collection... as I never managed to get dq7 on the ps1, and would love to have it on the 3ds to have a full set of mainline dq games (I don't consider dq10 a mainline game as it should have just been called dragon quest online :/)

Velcro Fly

Also Luminary could mean

a person of prominence or brilliant achievement

So that definitely sounds like it could be something!
for iOS

Artorias

Banned
I will buy whatever this is.

I want DQ 7 remake the most, but DQM remake would be so amazing. Not that the names seem plausible for that one.

DQ X though...I don't know. I think I'm over it. I would buy it but I don't really care if it comes over or not. Move on to the next one please, and make it single player with optional multi.

Teknoman

Can't be DQVII, since that's along the lines of Warrior of Eden.
:(

VII could be legendary line then.

EDIT: Nevermind, sounds like it'll fit X better, what with the tribes thing. I dont remember VII having anything to do with seeds...unless they mean the whole continent raising thing.

Tizoc

VII could be legendary line then.

EDIT: Nevermind, sounds like it'll fit X better, what with the tribes thing. I dont remember VII having anything to do with seeds...unless they mean the whole continent raising thing.

Taking Salvation into account
isn't the main villain of DQ7 like, the Devil?

BTW, how is leveling up in PSX DQ7 compared to the NDS ver.?

I remember watching the final boss battle of PSX DQ7 on YT and all the characters were under Lvl. 40.

L~A

Hmm.... I really don't trust Squeenix at all, so I'll stay cautiously optimistic utterly skeptical and cynical about this.

MrT-Tar

Has any DQ ever really succeeded in the west, including nes ones?

IX sold over a million in the West iirc. It's anecdotal, but I can say that in the UK the game sold really well; pretty much all my friends bought the game and really enjoyed it, the game was heavily advertised too. That doesn't really happen for RPGs outside of Pokemon.

KiTA

Can't be DQVII, since that's along the lines of Warrior of Eden.
:(

Yeah, that's the Japanese subtitle, too -- Dragon Quest 7: Eden no Senshi-tachi. So... I don't know if this is DQ7.

Speculation time~!

Luminaries of the Legendary Line and The Seeds of Salvation could, in theory, be used to describe the DQ7 framing device.

Luminaries of the Legendary Line particularly, because Luminaries is what the US localization team used for the Superstar / dancer type classes in DQ9... and DQ7's plot involves a legendary magic tribe of musicians and dancers.

Alternately, they could be avoiding the 5 tribes / 5 races thing and using "Legendary Line" to discuss DQX's train, or DQX's 5 playable races. Or the Tower Offense browser game they recently announced, since that's got paths / "Lines" in it, too.

Seeds of Salvation... A bit more of a stretch. There's little farming in DQ7 or DQX.

Seeds could be spoken of metaphorically, since the plot of both DQX and DQ7 involve a very small cadre of good (the hero in DQX, the island in DQ7) being the world's last hope or somesuch.

I don't know if DQX's recent expansion could have anything to do with seeds. Possible, I suppose?

Unfortunately I don't see either being a reference to Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland or Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca's Marvelous Mysterious Key. DQM2 involves a ranch, but no farming. DQM1 takes place in a giant tree, but again, no farming.

Worse case scenario: Reggie's tweet was literal, and this isn't a localization, but a new DQ game. If their great idea for DQ in the west is a "Dragon Quest of Evermore," they should just stay home.

Edit:

Seriously, if this turns out to be iOS or Facebook or something...

It could, in theory, be that "Tower Offense" meets Monsters game, Dragon Quest Monster Parade. But surely even those fiends at Square Enix wouldn't be THAT cruel to us, right?

Top Bottom