• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys 5: Kefin, Lost City of Sand (SNES) fan translation finally released

Aeana

At long last, Aeon Genesis has released Ys 5's translation, which means that now every Ys game is available in English. Finally. It's been a very, very long time coming.

Ys 5 is fair bit different from the rest of the series in just about every way, and gameplay-wise, it probably has more in common with the Soul Blazer trilogy than Ys, but it's still a pretty fun game.

Zqfzovm.png
NwVcS8a.png
tvrFVaj.png

4VL9nvs.png
3IqIKgw.png
8i27THj.png

The patch is available at Aeon Genesis's Ys 5 page.

linkboy

Best Thanksgiving ever.

I've been waiting for this day for a long, long time.

This may not be the best Ys game, but I can't wait to play it.

L~A

How is the gameplay different? What's it like?

From the page linked in the OP :

At the end of December, 1995, Falcom released Ys V for the Super Famicom, choosing to take a gamble and radically alter the gameplay formula of the series to mixed reviews. The game is now much more in the vein of Zelda, though it's not nearly so involved as those games. New to the series is the ability to jump and manually swing your sword/hold up your shield, as well as a rather interesting magic system, based around the notion of alchemy. Different spells are created by combining three elements of varying types, for a decent amount of variety. The game received a bit of a lashing in the press for how easy it was, and an update, Ys V Expert, was released only three months later. This update primarily raised the difficulty and added a time attack mode.

I'm definitely playing this thing. Thanks for the translation Gideon Zhi :)

RangerBAD

I just played Ys V Expert in Japanese. :( (Loaded a Save State by accident before the final boss and ended up at first of the game. So I gave up for now.)

This isn't Expert, right?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Nice. I guess I have to look for a copy of the game sometime soon. Is it easy to find?
I really don't know anything about this game.

linkboy

Never played a ys game, how does this one compare to the others? How's the story?

Play this series. If you like Secret of Mana, you'll love this series.

I think the PSP games are still for sale on PSN and they're up on Steam as well.

Been fascinated with this one because it had been forgotten by fans due to being markedly different than previous offerings, but the language barrier prevented me from playing it.

sprinkles

I never even played any Ys games until they started releasing them on Steam last year. Now I cannot wait to try this to help me over the long time Xseed takes releasing the remaining PC ports. Ys rocks!

Psxphile

Ys V: Kefin, Lost City of Sand |OT| Not the Ys-iest Game to Hack

Sprite work, coupled with that font, gives the game a classic Enix-Quintet feel to it.

Chemo

I wonder if a remake of Ys V will be Falcom's next Ys release on Vita...seems pretty logical. Will check this out regardless.

Eusis

I wonder if a remake of Ys V will be Falcom's next Ys release on Vita...seems pretty logical. Will check this out regardless.
Falcom seems to only do one remake between main installments, Ys I & II as a partial exception and only partial because they're effectively one game anyway. So yeah, I think Aeana's right in that they'd probably do a proper mainline installment first then go back to V.

Gideon Zhi

Neo Member
As a note, this does *not* work on Ys V Expert. Only the standard version. The games are mechanically similar under the hood, but the data's been moved around enough that making it work with Expert would require applying each hack individually to Expert, starting from the ground up. This wouldn't be difficult, but it wouldn't be trivial either, and I'm frankly sick of starting at the game. Do you know that I was nervous about going to bed last night, fearing that someone was going to find some nasty game-breaking glitch in the patch despite how thoroughly we tested and that I wouldn't be able to fix it until the morning? This game crashes if you so much as look at it wrong.

If the game crashes after patching, you're either 1) patching Expert, don't do that, or 2) your ROM has a header, which can be removed using http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/608/ this.

Edit: Oh! Fun fact: the font, by the way, is actually from the SNES release of Ys 3: Wanderers from Ys.

As a note, this does *not* work on Ys V Expert. Only the standard version. The games are mechanically similar under the hood, but the data's been moved around enough that making it work with Expert would require applying each hack individually to Expert, starting from the ground up. This wouldn't be difficult, but it wouldn't be trivial either, and I'm frankly sick of starting at the game. Do you know that I was nervous about going to bed last night, fearing that someone was going to find some nasty game-breaking glitch in the patch despite how thoroughly we tested and that I wouldn't be able to fix it until the morning? This game crashes if you so much as look at it wrong.

If the game crashes after patching, you're either 1) patching Expert, don't do that, or 2) your ROM has a header, which can be removed using http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/608/ this.

Edit: Oh! Fun fact: the font, by the way, is actually from the SNES release of Ys 3: Wanderers from Ys.

Thanks you sir !
Kept crashing but it's because I tried with Ys Expert.
Been waiting litteraly almost 10 years to play this :)

linkboy

I just want to say thank you for taking on the daunting task of translating this game. It's one of those games I've been looking forward to playing for a long, long time.

Top Bottom