• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER THREAD - Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Spoils

OK. THIS IS THE SPOILER THREAD FOR BRAVELY DEFAULT. TURN BACK OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

RANDOM RINGABEL.

BDFTS_Ringabel_Bonus_Costume_Artwork.png

Now that all the caps lock stuff is out of the way.

This is a thread for discussing the crazy twists and turns of Bravely Default for the 3DS, of which there are many.

Let's keep this place clean and tidy. If you're not in the business of getting spoiled about the game, GET OUT NOW.

Everyone else? Let's do the thang.

Just bumping since the game is in more hands now. A friendly reminder that this thread exists, just in case you missed it the first time!

I just sold my copy, since my boredom reached its peak around the 20 hour mark and the story contributed considerably to that. As generic and one-dimensional as it gets with stakes that couldn't be lower and a complete failure to make me care about anything at all. It rivals the Tales series no problem.
I'm still curious to know what the plot twist is (or all of them, I guess). Anyone have a link or something so I can read up on that?

Zenaku

I just sold my copy, since my boredom reached its peak around the 20 hour mark and the story contributed considerably to that. As generic and one-dimensional as it gets with stakes that couldn't be lower and a complete failure to make me care about anything at all. It rivals the Tales series no problem.
I'm still curious to know what the plot twist is (or all of them, I guess). Anyone have a link or something so I can read up on that?

You might have read up on it already, but heres some info.

- Airy is actually the minion of a being called "Oroboros", a devourer of worlds. She travels from one alternate dimension to the next, getting the 4 heroes of light to "release" the crystals (make them go berserk) and form the 'holy pillar', a pillar of light which connects the world with the next and allows her to travel to the next world. She's been doing this for 1.1 billion years and connected tens of thousands of worlds. Her wings actually show a number which is a countdown (starts at 5, goes through 4 to 0 as you unknowingly help her connect worlds).

- Ringabel is actually Artemis Dim from a previous dimension. He fell into the holy pillar after the Agnes, Edea and Tiz of his world were killed by Airy (her wings had the number 6 then). The D journal/notebook was actually his diary when he was watching the 3 in his world, hence no mention of Ringabel in it (his world didn't have a Ringabel).

- After releasing the 4 crystals and going to the holy pillar you're transported to the next dimension, where time seems to have reverted, but some things are different. You carry on through this (releasing crsyals) either until the number on Airy's wings reaches 0 (and Oroboros is revived, for the true ending) or you have Agnes continue praying to a crystal after Airy tells you to stop (which destroys the crystal and has Airy show her true form).

- When Oroboros eventually revives it reveals it plans to destroy "shinkai" or the world of gods, and that a soul of a being from shinkai actually resides within Tiz (the summoner subquest from chapter 2 is the first hint of this). As you attempt to overcome its healing powers, it literally devours an entire world from the tens of thousands that are now connected, healing itself. It continues until Agnes decides to give up, at which point her pendant (which holds the soul of a previous worlds Agnes; presumably the one from Ringabel's world) reminds them that they're not alone; they're connected with tens of thousands of worlds, each with their own heroes of light. You then see the characters from other worlds (using world names from people on your friends list) attack Oroboros' tentacles and prevent it from devouring their world, and destroying its healing ability allowing them to defeat Oroboros once and for all.

- After the credits, Tiz releases the soul of the person inside him (highly likely to be Magnolia, the heroine of the next game) before collapsing in front of his brothers grave 'as if sleeping' (possibly died)

kiryogi

Banned
There's speculation out there that Magnolia is Airys sister in human form....

I think the problem is Hayashi and how long he likes to keep the status quo before everything hits the fan. At least he's been really notorious for this in his ; works. Mostly Robotics;Notes. He struck a better balance in Steins;Gate, but I can see how it drags on here at least for the first innocent portion. That said, now I'm not sure if they're that light about death or not, but he definitely kills off practically everyone and some .

You might have read up on it already, but heres some info.

- Airy is actually the minion of a being called "Oroboros", a devourer of worlds. She travels from one alternate dimension to the next, getting the 4 heroes of light to "release" the crystals (make them go berserk) and form the 'holy pillar', a pillar of light which connects the world with the next and allows her to travel to the next world. She's been doing this for 1.1 billion years and connected tens of thousands of worlds. Her wings actually show a number which is a countdown (starts at 5, goes through 4 to 0 as you unknowingly help her connect worlds).

- Ringabel is actually Artemis Dim from a previous dimension. He fell into the holy pillar after the Agnes, Edea and Tiz of his world were killed by Airy (her wings had the number 6 then). The D journal/notebook was actually his diary when he was watching the 3 in his world, hence no mention of Ringabel in it (his world didn't have a Ringabel).

- After releasing the 4 crystals and going to the holy pillar you're transported to the next dimension, where time seems to have reverted, but some things are different. You carry on through this (releasing crsyals) either until the number on Airy's wings reaches 0 (and Oroboros is revived, for the true ending) or you have Agnes continue praying to a crystal after Airy tells you to stop (which destroys the crystal and has Airy show her true form).

- When Oroboros eventually revives it reveals it plans to destroy "shinkai" or the world of gods, and that a soul of a being from shinkai actually resides within Tiz (the summoner subquest from chapter 2 is the first hint of this). As you attempt to overcome its healing powers, it literally devours an entire world from the tens of thousands that are now connected, healing itself. It continues until Agnes decides to give up, at which point her pendant (which holds the soul of a previous worlds Agnes; presumably the one from Ringabel's world) reminds them that they're not alone; they're connected with tens of thousands of worlds, each with their own heroes of light. You then see the characters from other worlds (using world names from people on your friends list) attack Oroboros' tentacles and prevent it from devouring their world, and destroying its healing ability allowing them to defeat Oroboros once and for all.

- After the credits, Tiz releases the soul of the person inside him (highly likely to be Magnolia, the heroine of the next game) before collapsing in front of his brothers grave 'as if sleeping' (possibly died)

Thanks!

So did the Earth Temple and am finishing up Chapter 4 (learning Genomes, stealing / looting stuff from enemies that disappear etc).

Having read the notes in the Earth temple, I have a few questions:

Am I correct in thinking that Victoria's disease cure has something to do with those papers on Alchemical Life in the Earth temple ? It all seems a bit too coincidental otherwise, especially given their names.

Also do we get an explanation later in the game for why Heinkel and Khint go from being what seems to be fairly honourable commanders to overseeing a division of thugs and bullys and an amoral mercenary respectively ?

It is nice to see more information about how the Red Advent plan got hatched though.

ETA - I missed an NPC in the Eternian Central Healing Tower, who's treatment it seems Khint was paying for. So that's one down.

KeRaSh

So I just beat the game with the final ending and I'm confused as to why the party kept releasing all crystals even though they already knew Airy was plotting something. Should I have destroyed the crystals to follow that string of the story?
Also, when Airy finally revealed her true self towards the end everyone was surprised. Did I miss something?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So I just beat the game with the final ending and I'm confused as to why the party kept releasing all crystals even though they already knew Airy was plotting something. Should I have destroyed the crystals to follow that string of the story?
Also, when Airy finally revealed her true self towards the end everyone was surprised. Did I miss something?

I guess dimensional travel induces a form of amnesia.

FryHole

Just completed the game, clocking in at around 70 hours, and wanted to share a few thoughts. Enough praise has been showered on the visuals, music and battle system so I shan’t add to that, except to say that the sound and sight of Edea using the Stomp command four times in a row to utterly monster some poor bugger was supremely satisfying.

Going in relatively unspoiled, I was expecting a PS1 style Final Fantasy. What I actually got was like a definitive early FF, a hybrid of FFIII and FFV (haven’t played the latter but understand the job system is similar) with modern visuals and a top notch translation, and while that was initially disappointing I got over it quickly enough, because the game we got is still great fun. The structure of the first four chapters is classic FF, and fairly basic – four crystals need awakening, and to do that you’ll traverse dungeons, gain transport, lose transport, regain and improve transport, talk to NPCs and fight bosses. The dialogue warrants a mention – there is some excellent stuff here with very well written and defined characters, and often very funny. I played it with Japanese voices, for what it’s worth.

From chapter 5 onwards the Groundhog Day twist was, again, initially disappointing – the moment I realised I’d already seen pretty much all the environments I was going to see was a bit crushing. The development of the plot and the asterisk bosses alleviated that to a fair extent. It was nice that by chapter 7 or 8 you were almost friends with a lot of the characters and fighting for honour or fun or girl power.

Airy was clearly a wrong ‘un from about chapter 3 onwards, but I was still impressed by the reveal, particularly Ringabel catching on about the numbers on her wings, Tiz and Agnes discussing matters alone with the Sage and, of course, the title reveal. That latter I would have never cottoned on to even knowing she was a baddie from the outset, thought that was very cool.

On the downside, the world felt quite small. Aside from a few additions like Yulyana’s cottage and the plague-destroyed village in Eternia each continent had just one town to visit, and those towns (while each being absolutely gorgeous) were disappointingly flat and barebones, with three shops and an inn, none of which you actually enter, and not much in the way of meaningful NPC interaction. They were essentially fancy menus for upgrading your kit plus a bit of plot progression, and it would have been nice for each continent to have more than one multi-screen town with more interaction possible. After the first few experiences it was less exciting to reach a new continent knowing that all you’d discover is another menu-town plus the dungeons - it’s like it wasn’t a new continent, it was just down the road. There’s also quite a bit of wasted space on the map that you can’t ever set foot on, which is a shame, and the final dungeon and bosses were surprisingly lowkey given the possible grandeur of a ‘thousands of connected worlds’ finale.

I’m looking forward to the sequel, but I hope the next game does take a cue from the PS1 FFs. The BD visuals are perfectly suited to replacing prerendered backgrounds, and it would be amazing to see a more ambitious set-piece RPG in this style (think FF6-7) rather than the more basic crystal 1 -> detour -> crystal 2 -> detour etc setup used in this game.

Gambit

Finished the game last night and just remembered the spoiler thread. No wonder I forgot about it, seeing how inactive it is.

Anyhoo, I have a few questions regarding the true final. When the celestial being leaves Tiz' body, are we supposed to assume he dies?

(Possibly only saved by being put in that tank Magnolia rescues him from).

I am also wondering to which world Ringabel returnes. His own? There was one cutscene where he defends the other three as helmet-less Alternis. On the other hand, his own warriors of light should be dead, right?

For sentimental reasons, I kind of wanted Ringabel to stay in the world of Tiz, Agnes and Edea. Their Alternis is dead anyway, right? Feels like a good match.

For Bravely Second I really hope they get a higher budget and flesh out the world. Make the towns (as gorgeous as they are) more than one picture. They don't quite have to take on Midgar proportions, but they should at least be bigger than they are now.

Taruranto

Pretty sure their Alternis is alive, you see him in the ending.

No idea where Ringabel went, especially because you see Airy when there should be only one of her.

Gambit

Pretty sure their Alternis is alive, you see him in the ending.

No idea where Ringabel went, especially because you see Airy when there should be only one of her.

Oh yes, that's right. Alternis walks into the council chamber as well. Forgot about that.

More than one Airy is very confusing indeed. Maybe Ringabel went back in time? Still it would be strange

Most of the bosses in the original world are dead, I assume.

I kind of hope some them return as well.

Also, I would find it great if the warriors of light still had all their job options, but only they. New characters can only get new jobs.

FryHole

Finished the game last night and just remembered the spoiler thread. No wonder I forgot about it, seeing how inactive it is.

Anyhoo, I have a few questions regarding the true final. When the celestial being leaves Tiz' body, are we supposed to assume he dies?

(Possibly only saved by being put in that tank Magnolia rescues him from).

I am also wondering to which world Ringabel returnes. His own? There was one cutscene where he defends the other three as helmet-less Alternis. On the other hand, his own warriors of light should be dead, right?

For sentimental reasons, I kind of wanted Ringabel to stay in the world of Tiz, Agnes and Edea. Their Alternis is dead anyway, right? Feels like a good match.

For Bravely Second I really hope they get a higher budget and flesh out the world. Make the towns (as gorgeous as they are) more than one picture. They don't quite have to take on Midgar proportions, but they should at least be bigger than they are now.

Yeah I think we're meant to assume Tiz died (or suffered mortal wounds) during the destruction of Norende and has been kept alive by Airy's sister ever since, returning to whatever bad way he was in once the job was done - whether that was dead or dying I don't know, but given he appears to be being kept alive in the teaser clip I assume the latter.

Some bigger, more explorable towns is my main request for the next game. I'm playing FFIX right now, wandering around Lindblum - something like that in the BD style would be perfect. I don't know how trustworthy this report is but it's promising:

Speaking of exploration, Bravely Second’s fields are larger than those of Bravely Default, and the “density” of the game has increased as well.

wrowa

Ringabel saved his original party, I think. Not being able to save them was his biggest regret, after all. Airy being there really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but oh well.

I sure hope there was some time travelling / resetting involved after the ending. After all, your party cold-bloodedly murdered each and everyone in their original world. :lol

In general, I really liked how the game followed the traditional, morally black-and-white structure of classic 16bit RPGs in the beginning before it turned out that the party wasn't really doing a lot of good and jumped to conclusions prematurrly. Characters in the game often referred to the party as "children" -- and I thought that was really fitting, since the game makes a good job of portraying how teenaged world-savers would make their (often ill-informed) decisions. It's quite cool since the young heroes is such a trope in JRPGs, but most stories don't actually question the actions of young people.

It's a shame that the characters remain rather one-dimensional throughout the game, when the other parts of the story are rather multi-dimensional :)p) with some really black subtones.

Taruranto

Airy's sister being the one that kept Tiz alive confuses me. It is said a Celestial Being resided inside Tiz, but Ouroboros created Airy, how can her sister be a Celestial Being?

Gambit

I think what kept Tiz alive is not Airy's sister, but the player himself/herself.

It seemed to me that Orouboros linked the worlds together to infiltrate OUR world. Then he said something like "one celestial is among you".

Maybe I played Baten Kaitos too much

Ringabel saved his original party, I think. Not being able to save them was his biggest regret, after all. Airy being there really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but oh well.

I sure hope there was some time travelling / resetting involved after the ending. After all, your party cold-bloodedly murdered each and everyone in their original world. :lol

Yes, not many of the cast left after you murder your way to job completion.

I was reading the TVTropes article on the game, and came across this

when you defeat the final boss and the gate to the Celestial Realm opens briefly, the game splices in an image of what's currently shown in the 3DS's camera.

I don't remember this happening at all?

Highwind

That particular part happens when Ouroboros says he finally sees the celestial world or something along those lines near the end. I remember seeing my reflection during that part but it was more like a shadow haha. That part could have been more clearer but it was a nice touch.

wrowa

I was reading the TVTropes article on the game, and came across this

I don't remember this happening at all?

Dont remember it either, but I finished the game at night with just a tiny lamp next to me. Keep in mind that the 3DS's camera is horrible, so if you didn't play that part in a perfectly lit room at day, you will have seen absolutely nothing but darkness.

Oroboros made it really obvious that he was referring to the player when talking about the celestial being inside Tiz, though. He blamed the player, the citizen of the Celestial World, for searching entertainment in the desperation of people from another world, just so he can get distracted from his boring but perfect life for a while.

It wouldn't surprise me if they retcon that part for the sequel, though. It wouldn't be unheard of to replace some 4th wall breaking part with an in-universe explanation for a sequel's plot.

Sadist

I liked the special movie. Here's hoping we'll get Bravely Second as well. Magnolia seems cool.

Overall, I'm glad I completed it but after chapter 4... I was kinda bummed out. I know reviving the crystals was part of the experience, but I was sure glad when I reached the true ending. Took me a while to beat Airy though. Storywise, I believe Ringabell returned to his world. The Alternis Dim from Tiz, Agnes and Edea's world is still alive. Wonder what his role will be in Second.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Impressions...

That's almost exactly how I felt about this game. I was initially disappointed to see Airy being the actual villain, because it was way too obvious early on. She tried too hard pushing the group towards awakening the crystals without caring about anything that would happen outside of their mission. That kind of behaviour was especially noticable during the whole Egil segment, where she couldn't care less about his well being, up until she needed him to get access to the temple.

But still, the way they revealed her true identity little by little was pretty fun to discover, not to mention the cool title change after reaching the final chapter.

One thing I noticed during the bonus video:

If you look up through the top window you'll eventually see the sky being torn apart and another dimension appears. Airships fly towards the split and fight some kind of creature.

0lzrc.jpg

Looks familiar?

2vze6.jpg

ss-hikaru

I finished the game last night ^__^ I wasn't really expecting much from the ending cos of the whole 'look it's my final form', 'look it's my ultimate form', 'look you damaged me but now i'm just going to heal and you're going to have to reenter the battle without the BP you gained but retaining all your damage' which felt kinda tedious (upon the tediousness of repeating the crystal awakening and side bosses from the main game) but then they brought in the street/spotpass stuff and the camera and pretty much used you, the player and it just felt like it worked so well.

When i first heard news about Bravely Second and that it would take place in Luxendarc again I was a bit disappointed. I wanted this to be an ongoing series and assumed it would be like Final Fantasy where each entry is not connected. I was happy for them to just use the job/battle system but in a different world/setting. But now that I know the connection between Tiz and the player, I can see their approach working. I know Tiz isn't that popular compared to Edea and Ringabel but I really liked him and I liked I guess 'being' him since he's pretty much the player character.

Oh, and for some reason I had a reaaaally hard time finding Magnolia in that bonus vid XD

That's almost exactly how I felt about this game. I was initially disappointed to see Airy being the actual villain, because it was way too obvious early on. She tried too hard pushing the group towards awakening the crystals without caring about anything that would happen outside of their mission. That kind of behaviour was especially noticable during the whole Egil segment, where she couldn't care less about his well being, up until she needed him to get access to the temple.

But still, the way they revealed her true identity little by little was pretty fun to discover, not to mention the cool title change after reaching the final chapter.

One thing I noticed during the bonus video:

If you look up through the top window you'll eventually see the sky being torn apart and another dimension appears. Airships fly towards the split and fight some kind of creature.

0lzrc.jpg

Looks familiar?

2vze6.jpg

Sorry for the bump but what boss fight is that? And why does Tiz have Onion Knight costume?

Sorry for the bump but what boss fight is that? And why does Tiz have Onion Knight costume?

One of the optional bosses. Specifically, something known as a Ba'al, which Magnolia mentions in the trailer at the end of the game, so it's definitely Bravely Second related. Also, the costume Tiz has on is just an alt costume, there's no job for it.

One of the optional bosses. Specifically, something known as a Ba'al, which Magnolia mentions in the trailer at the end of the game, so it's definitely Bravely Second related. Also, the costume Tiz has on is just an alt costume, there's no job for it.

Where's this optional boss from? I finished the game today and didn't encounter it.

vareon

Just finished the game.

Random tidbits:

- It's crazy. The story is actually pretty standard fare, but the twists on how to get there is really fun.

- I can't believe they were brave enough to have player repeat a world FOUR times. By world 7 & 8 it's like the writer is all "fuck this serious shit let's have fun with the characters" which was really fun.

- A I R Y L I E S. Bitch. Though maybe the Japanese title of the game were a bit more mindblowing, since it tells perfectly that Bravely Default: Flying Fairy is not FF, lol.

- They justified the Summon Friend feature by having worlds of other players. That's clever.

- I was freaked out by my own face during the final battle lol.

- Holy shit at the special movie. Ahahahahah. I grinned while spinning around with my 3DS. Already excited for Bravely Second even though we don't know if it's coming or not.

There's a lot more to say but there's fireworks in my head now.

Espada

Just beat the game. Also for people saying its Groundhog day, have you guys never seen Sliders?

Yeah, it was more like Sliders in that it was more like traveling to other dimensions where things are slightly different from their world of origin.

I like the game, it was flawed, but that ending and secret movie really won me over. Airy is a HUGE bitch, especially when you stop and think about it. Pretending to care about countless groups of Warriors of Light, then slaughtering them, and coming up from the great chasm after doing so to deceive another Agnes. What's crazy is that the Orthodoxy has been so devastated that Agnes had no resource to turn to to verify if what Airy was saying is true.

One of my favorite pieces of dialogue comes from Ouroboros, though. How he explains what he did to Airy similar to what we do to cattle and other beasts of burden. My sister and I could only chuckle at that (and the fact that he was playing 20 questions with the party).

I have a few questions, though:
Is Tiz dead? The tank in the special movie seems to be what's keeping him alive. Was he being possessed by the Celestial soul inside of him or was it just keeping him alive? Airy said that she was "of Ouroboros' flesh" meaning that she's part of him. If that's so, how does she have a sister? Nice touch by Silicon Studios tricking us with a completely different fairy and pattern/stockings at the start of the game.

Is it just me or is Magnolia less... chibi than the party members in BD? She seemed closer to the boss proportions.

webrunner

If we call the world Ringabel is from "world 0" and the starting world "world 1" these are the differences I noticed so far doing the sidequests:
Chapter 5 is world 2, chapter 6 is world 3, chapter 7 is world 4, chapter 8 is world 5

in world 2+ Holly isn't a sadist
In world 2 it looks like Edea was killed by Crowe before attacking the city
In world 3 it looks like Edea was killed by someone before meeting up with Crowe at all
In world 3 Eternia is trying to save Agnes, not kill her
In world 3 Til survives instead of Tiz
In world 2 they got Olivia before you meet her, in world 3 there's no city of the crystalists
In world 2+ if you defeat the swordmaster before the pirate he mentions it
In world 2+ if you defeat the time mage before the rest of the merchant company the fencer doesn't help in those boss fights since he's already dead
In world 3 when you beat the Thief it's revealed he faked his death and has orphans.
In world 3 when you beat Holly+barras it's revealled she used ReRaise and then they quite literally do the deed right there in the cave.
In world 3 Til fought off the Sky Knights by himself which is pretty damn impressive

Hero

Yeah, it was hilarious to hear that somehow Til beat up both Holly and Barras.

So here's the thing that kind of confuses me and maybe it's because I'm overthinking it.

How many groups of Warriors of Light has Airy killed? Does each group eventually figure it out via their Ringabel?

Tripon

I don't think each group has a Ringabel, Ringabel's original world certainly didn't. There's usually a Tiz, an Anges, and an Edea, and usually an Alternis Din.

And if Airy is to be believed, at least thousands, and possibly millions of worlds being linked. But that doesn't explain why in the ending in Ringabel's original world he is trying to kill Airy again. Maybe there's multiple versions of Airy all trying to open the portal at the same time, and trying to speed up the process.

BTW, I loved killing off Airy. I actually hope she comes back so I can kill her off again.

Hero

I don't think each group has a Ringabel, Ringabel's original world certainly didn't. There's usually a Tiz, an Anges, and an Edea, and usually an Alternis Din.

And if Airy is to be believed, at least thousands, and possibly millions of worlds being linked. But that doesn't explain why in the ending in Ringabel's original world he is trying to kill Airy again. Maybe there's multiple versions of Airy all trying to open the portal at the same time, and trying to speed up the process.

BTW, I loved killing off Airy. I actually hope she comes back so I can kill her off again.

Every time you fight Alternis Din and he falls off the airship, isn't he going into another world to become their Ringabel?

beat it yesterday... a bit hard to describe it... but i'd say this is the worse Tales story ever.

So whats the whole point of their 'wait and see' strategy? Airy is a freaking idiot, and your party are even bigger idiots.

missed opportunity for a new ending if you 'fruit ninja' airy's head off in the pause screen.

final boss music was good though, although i missed most of it due to the horrid audio balance for audio effects (rage x 3).

took me way too long to find the busty chick in the sequel teaser thing lol.

Such a fantastic use of the gyro.

So yeah, 71 hours total time, normal. Got all jobs, killed them again in ch6, and then marathoned to the end.

Probably my favorite battle system in a game, probably my least favorite game i've ever beaten though if that makes sense.

Also agnes is a piece of shit. Game would have been like 15 hours if she wasn't such a piece of shit and tiz wasn't blinded by her vagina.

So whats the whole point of their 'wait and see' strategy? Airy is a freaking idiot, and your party are even bigger idiots.

It makes no sense, seeing as they forget about it as soon as they adopt that "strategy." The last few chapters have no continuity so it's difficult to make any sense out of them. It's some of the worst writing you can find in games because it fails on the most basic levels of fitting together with its self.

And a bad Tales story is a good comparison, it came to mind for me too.

It makes no sense, seeing as they forget about it as soon as they adopt that "strategy." The last few chapters have no continuity so it's difficult to make any sense out of them. It's some of the worst writing you can find in games because it fails on the most basic levels of fitting together with its self.

And a bad Tales story is a good comparison, it came to mind for me too.

Ringabell pretty much got all his memory back, which i'm pretty sure it was shown airy laughing her ass off with everyone else dead...

ok big picture wise i get why it makes sense to strike right when baddie is revived, but no way in hell the party knew that.

So anyone play new game+ yet? Does anything change at the end?

If we call the world Ringabel is from "world 0" and the starting world "world 1" these are the differences I noticed so far doing the sidequests:
Chapter 5 is world 2, chapter 6 is world 3, chapter 7 is world 4, chapter 8 is world 5

in world 2+ Holly isn't a sadist
In world 2 it looks like Edea was killed by Crowe before attacking the city
In world 3 it looks like Edea was killed by someone before meeting up with Crowe at all
In world 3 Eternia is trying to save Agnes, not kill her
In world 3 Til survives instead of Tiz
In world 2 they got Olivia before you meet her, in world 3 there's no city of the crystalists
In world 2+ if you defeat the swordmaster before the pirate he mentions it
In world 2+ if you defeat the time mage before the rest of the merchant company the fencer doesn't help in those boss fights since he's already dead
In world 3 when you beat the Thief it's revealed he faked his death and has orphans.
In world 3 when you beat Holly+barras it's revealled she used ReRaise and then they quite literally do the deed right there in the cave.
In world 3 Til fought off the Sky Knights by himself which is pretty damn impressive

Those two may be a bit incorrect. From World 2 Crowe's rambling ("You're back!? Why do you hate me so much?"), it sounds like that world's Edea single-handedly kicked his ass and left with the others for parts unknown. In World 2 Olivia's case, the Matriarch says that she died in a random earthquake a few months before while in hiding. Anyways, a few more differences:
- World 2: Einheria is more sympathetic to Edea's betrayal, since she notices the change in her sisters due to their handling of the toxins, but she can't bring herself to betray the Templar.

- World 2+: Victor adds more details to his story about Victoria. In World 2, he reveals that she was once a part of the Orthodoxy, who abandoned her due to her illness. Florem's Matriarch also mentions a former Vestaling who lost her title because she had a serious illness. In World 3, Victor reveals that his father Vincent was actually his assistant. Against Victor's orders, Vincent chose to experiment with alchemical life, "curing" Victoria of her disease, with the side-effects of extreme mental and physical instability. Eventually, Victoria killed Vincent, and Victor decided to devote himself to curing her.

- World 2+: The Matriarch mentions finding a little girl passed out in Florem Gardens, one of the twins that died in World 1 (Presumably, in world 2, they were attacked by monsters on the way and never made it). She also says that the girl has the potential to be a Vestaling.

- Worlds 2-3: In World 2, Qada's subordinate praises him for taking in wounded from both sides. After the subordinate leaves, the party enters and wonder if Qada has really changed. Of course, Qada just admits that he only uses them as test subjects. In World 3, Qada flat-out tells this to his subordinate. After the battle, when the party leaves Starkfort, it's revealed that Qada survived; he begins boasting that he'll create more poisons, kill tons of people, and rule the Duchy. Kamiizumi then speaks from the shadows, chastising Qada's unrepentant attitude. Kamiizumi suddenly appears and kills Qada right there in one swipe.

- World 3: Starting in World 2 I believe, you can start an unofficial side-quest of sorts where you learn more about the history between Braev Lee, Kamiizumi, and Mahzer Lee. There are three people to talk to: An old man in the main Eternian town (Learn about the two heroes of Eternia), an old man in the grave marker village (Learn more about their duel), and then Mahzer to learn the truth. When you go to fight Kamiizumi after learning their history from Mahzer, the pre-fight scene changes. Edea thanks Kamiizumi for his role in bringing Braev and Mahzer together, and for training her. Instead of a battle to the death, Kamiizumi decides to have a friendly sparring session with his student and her friends.

- Worlds 2+: In all of the alternate worlds' Grandships, the Drunken Pig Tavern is replaced by the Sea Slug Tavern. The first time you enter it, a scene plays where the Proprietress from your ship is chews out the Sea Slug's owner over the new tavern's all-around poor quality.

- In some worlds, in the White Magic Tower, a nurse standing next to a little girl talks about the clinic receiving sizable donations from an anonymous donor for a the girl's illness. In other worlds, she says that she doesn't know what it's for, so she puts the money towards treatment for all of the kids in the clinic. Of course, we find out in Chapter 7 that the mystery donor is Khint, and that the girl is probably his daughter. I guess in some worlds, his daughter dies and in others, his daughter lives.

ss-hikaru

World 3: Starting in World 2 I believe, you can start an unofficial side-quest of sorts where you learn more about the history between Braev Lee, Kamiizumi, and Mahzer Lee. There are three people to talk to: An old man in the main Eternian town (Learn about the two heroes of Eternia), an old man in the grave marker village (Learn more about their duel), and then Mahzer to learn the truth. When you go to fight Kamiizumi after learning their history from Mahzer, the pre-fight scene changes. Edea thanks Kamiizumi for his role in bringing Braev and Mahzer together, and for training her. Instead of a battle to the death, Kamiizumi decides to have a friendly sparring session with his student and her friends.

- Worlds 2+: In all of the alternate worlds' Grandships, the Drunken Pig Tavern is replaced by the Sea Slug Tavern. The first time you enter it, a scene plays where the Proprietress from your ship is chews out the Sea Slug's owner over the new tavern's all-around poor quality.

Did not know about these ones, thanks! Now i want to find out about the history between Brave, Kamiizumi and Mahzer...

Holy macaroni, just finished the true ending on Hard difficulty while skipping destroying the crystals and the Central Command Ch 7/8 Boss slog as well as the optional final dungeon. Will probably go back and finish up as well as check the shorter ending (though it's pretty much the same, right?).

On that note, I'm assuming that worlds where the player decides to destroy the crystals simply in theory end up being destroyed by the Ouroboros that emerges from some other world? Or is the only world where Ouroboros could ever emerge the world we're playing through? I'm assuming Airy has had over ten thousand written on her wings at some point and her reaching Zero is literally her end-game that we just happen to be a part of? That would point to the second alternative, but I'm not sure. I'd like to think that braving through awakening 20 crystals was something the characters had to go through in order to reach Ouroboros and stop the inevitable.

Also, god DAMN at the soundtrack. That is one of the reasons I kept going through the game, you know. Looking forward to the final boss themes. Boy did Revo deliver on that front, and staying away from the OST until I finished the game turned out to be so worth it. Seriously, I love over the top Uematsu-esque prog rock/metal and this game delivered in spades. When the d-beat kicked in during the end of the true last boss track, I got all giddy and actually burst out laughing over the sheer awesomeness. Wow. I'll have this OST on rotation for quite a while and might even end up doing some covers/remixes down the line.

Just finished this game last night! Holy SHIT I loved everything about it (minus the crystal segment 5 times ) wtf?

the soundtrack is beyond amazing!

so from what I can tell

Airys sister took the player and put him into Tiz body? saving him from the chasm. Then we are released at the end? the BS teaser pretty much confirms that Tiz body at least was saved and put into some kink of tank? )

am I way off?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Tiz is put in Eternia's preservation tank that Victor used for Victoria. Probably being maintained by the Earth Crystal's White Magic. How he got there is unknown.

Top Bottom