• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man who paid $750 for photo of Xbox One gets free system

2398590-cexxbox.jpg

The United Kingdom teenager burned by an Xbox One eBay scam received a free console from retailer CeX on Saturday, The Nottingham Post reports today.

19-year old Peter Clatworthy paid $750 through the auction site in November for what he thought was an Xbox One. Instead, he received only a photo of the system. The system was intended as a Christmas gift for his four-year-old son.

"I'm just overwhelmed by the reaction to the story," Clatworthy said. "All I wanted was a refund. I cannot believe this."

In addition to the Xbox One, he also received the refund he sought thanks to PayPal's buyer protection guidelines.

The Xbox One launched on November 22 and sold more than 1 million systems during its first day.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ma...to-of-xbox-one-gets-free-system/1100-6416609/

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I read the 19 year old guy's twitter from the other thread.. this guy needs to spend less time playing games, more time learning the English language.

I have to say, I feel he milked the "Christmas for his son" angle. His kid is 4.

Also, cheap advertising and good-will PR for CeX. Hooray.

Rizific

a 19 y/o buying it for his 4 y/o...youre no fooling me, guy. grats to him though. no one should get scammed like that.

RaikuHebi

Banned
CEX of all fucking places.

Or now that I think about it maybe it actually fits...

He should just sell it at another CEX.

Refund AND a Day One Edition, grats to him. Sucks that the embarrassment of buying a photo will haunt him but is a lesson learned to read the descriptions when buying expensive items.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow he even got the refund. I don't know the whole story (in fact I know very little of it) but if the item for sale truly was the picture, and the guy just didn't take the time to read it, I think a refund is out of order.

CEX, so it's second-hand but hey, probably barely used anyway since the console hasn't been out long.

My local CEX are selling an Xbone in the window for £540. £540!

The Cowboy

I don't like this at all (more so considering he got a refund), and I think the buyer has been smarter than what we've given him credit for.

He admitted he read the fact it was a photo and bought it anyway, he then stated it was for his child which didn't seem to be the case at all if you read his twitter, I'd wager he knew full well he'd get a refund (after all this is considered on eBay/PayPal a full scam) and was just playing the sympathy card because this sort of thing would likely happen (he'd get a free system and a refund).

I actually expected it to be MS who'd give him a free system, not CEX, but to me in essence, this wasn't a case of a buyer being scammed, but in fact the buyer doing the scam.

NeoGash

Hahahaha oh my, a comment from the article;
I feel real sorry for the sales rep in the picture. He's like "just don't f'n touch me again"

LMFAO. Oh god it is so damn true. Good for him though, I hope his "son" enjoys it ;)

coldfoot

Banned
He got his money back, I don't think this was necessary, the store could have just sold him the console with the money he got refunded from Paypal. Still, good for him, I bet he needs all the help he can get, but Idiocracy is our future indeed :(

jmcoo7

Banned
Jeez maybe I should buy something stupid , get myself on the net and get a freebie, nah I'd rather not appear that stupid.

Top Bottom