• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox One smashes sales records" (Australia), more than double Wii launch

Microsoft’s Xbox One has been crowned the fastest-selling video game console to date in Australia, as its key rival, Sony, struggled to fulfil pre-orders for the PlayStation 4.

Market research firm NPD Group said a total of 65,917 Xbox One consoles were sold in its first three days on sale in Australia, more than doubling the ­previous launch record for the ­Nintendo Wii in 2006, and beating out previous records for number of consoles sold in a week.

The record sales numbers provided a much-needed boost to the games industry, which has in recent years ­suffered from faltering sales due to the lengthy shelf life of the previous ­generation of consoles and greater competition from mobile devices.

Australians were among the first in the world to purchase Xbox Ones on November 22 as it launched progressively across 13 countries, with games retailer EB Games calling demand for the console “unprecedented”.

Sony opted for a staggered launch of its competing PlayStation 4, putting it on sale in the United States in early November before launching it into more countries, including ­Australia, a week after the Xbox One’s availability.

The Japanese entertainment giant said last week it had sold 2.1 million units in the first fortnight since launch, of which 700,000 units had been sold in Europe and Australia.

The company would not break out local sales, but industry sources told The Australian Financial Review Australian sales of Sony’s device fell short of Microsoft’s across the same period a week earlier, primarily due to the company being unable to ship enough ­consoles to meet the number of pre-orders at bricks-and-mortar retailers.

Michael Ephraim, the managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, said the company was planning to fulfil pre-orders before Christmas but expected ongoing ­shortages.
Link

3b8f3228-e296-11e2-a172-ce1cd76c727b_2013-07-01T211836Z_16902696--646x363.jpg

NeoGash

PS4 is sold out everywhere, Xbox One is in stock everywhere in Australia. Selling out ≠ selling more I suppose. PlayStation is more popular here though, so I expect it to sell more.

Toilets flush the wrong way in Australia. Wrong consoles win sales records. Australia is a sinister and backward region of the planet.

NeoGash

Toilets flush the wrong way in Australia. Wrong consoles win sales records. Australia is a sinister and backward region of the planet.

We're also not allowed to carry guns.

I don't know about that. According to the article, EB Games is cited as saying that Xbox One's demand is 'unprecedented'.

I think there was a research thing not too long ago and Sony was far in front over here. My tablet is about to run out, so someone else will have to find it or I'll do'it after I wake up. Finish listening to Hells Bells and I'm off after I take a piss.

Had a shower, found the link; http://m.cnet.com.au/australians-ne...s4-over-xbox-one-report-339345836.htm?redir=1

PS4 has about double the demand of the XB1 so I expect it to overtake this record. Nevertheless, 'good job' for MS I suppose, not that I give a shit. I wouldn't exactly be congratulating Sony either, it's like, I'm not a f'ing shareholder and I don't care that companies worth billions of dollars are making even more ridiculous amounts of money when I can't even afford to pay for my education. Never understood that shit how people congratulate them, but whatever, knock yourselves out.

PS4 is sold out everywhere, Xbox One is in stock everywhere in Australia. Selling out ≠ selling more I suppose. PlayStation is more popular here though, so I expect it to sell more.

I don't know about that. According to the article, EB Games is cited as saying that Xbox One's demand is 'unprecedented'.

Wonder if Sony can create enough supply for Christmas in NA.

Not surprising. The two basically cost the same thing here and you can actually get an Xbone if you wanted to right now instead of having to wait until February

The PS4's been sold out here for months, though. I'm pretty sure I can walk into a store right now and get an Xbox One (I can definitely get one online), but the PS4's sold out everywhere until early next year. I wonder if Sony just shipped fewer consoles over here?

There's almost no price difference between the consoles here, though, because Sony dun goofed. Don't you also get FIFA free with the Xbox, or was that only Europe?

Replicant

I guess this is why MS couldn't launch in more than 13 countries. Because we hog them all Xbones:

Well, either that or they're not selling as unprecedented as some claimed it to be.

Also, EB Games will say anything to sell product, even outright telling you that their price is cheaper. Never mind that JB Hifi always tend to beat them 9/10 when it comes to pricing.

Yeah not surprising considering they basically cost the same here and there's no PS4's to buy. Bought em' both on launch and it's Insane to see the prices people are selling PS4's for on Ebay and here I have mine sitting here collecting dust with no games, while I play 3DS instead.

When it reads of unprecendented demand it reads about ps4. and still article refers to it for XBO. Is it two differend sources? Terrible article. How ia the availebility of XBO, article only refers to ps4 in that regards also. Terrible article.

Good for MS getting those consoles to 'stralia.
Only 700k for pal is really dissapointing. No wonder germans had to fight for consoles. Up the production Sony.

Cobano

Neo Member
It's pretty clear Sony has put all focus on supplying USA and the UK, the two markets where they lost last gen. Demand here in Europe seems to be crazy and we are not getting enough consoles, it's really a shame Sony's most loyal market gets the least amount of consoles. But I guess from a business perspective it makes total sense. Anyway, I'll finally get my unit this friday.

Krilekk

Banned
While that doesn't mean anything in the war between Sony and MS it's pretty clear by now that X1 is far from the massive bomba many believed it would be because of Kinect and price and much worse hardware.

So this is the first 3 day sales what about now?
There was supposed to be a new shipment of PS4's in early December iirc but that's just for pre-orders as well.

The XB1 was either resupplied more quickly or simply had a greater initial shipment, as it hasn't really been sold out (anecdotally).

While that doesn't mean anything in the war between Sony and MS it's pretty clear by now that X1 is far from the massive bomba many believed it would be because of Kinect and price and much worse hardware.

The price difference is negligible and you can actually buy one of them. Kind of unique here in that sense

Wow, the salt with some of you is amazing. Tell me, why is there a need to bring up anything negative in here, this isn't a thread about Sony, or their great PS4 sales, this is about the Xbox One selling well in Australia, and besting the Wii. You guys can't let Microsoft have any moment of happiness, huh? ;P They're just announcing their success, no need to come into this thread and try to downplay it.

Congrats Microsoft! Outselling the Wii is a feat, hope you can keep the trend going and sell a good number of systems. The faster they increase the next-Gen install base, the quicker Last-Gen can die and more Last-Gen only games we get ported (Dark Souls 2 please!)

Wait til after the early adopters that bought a $599 PS3 get theirs.

This applies to both xbox and PS4.

Replicant

So this is the first 3 day sales what about now?

They have not even sold out their original shipment. You can pretty much walk into any EB Games or use their online shop as I linked above to get an Xbone if you want. This was true for the first 3 days and still is true now.

Loudninja

There was supposed to be a new shipment of PS4's in early December iirc but that's just for pre-orders as well.

The XB1 was either resupplied more quickly or simply had a greater initial shipment, as it hasn't really been sold out (anecdotally).

They have not even sold out their original shipment. You can pretty much walk into any EB Games or use their online shop as I linked above to get an Xbone if you want. This was true for the first 3 days and still is true now.
Ok thanks.

Thing are getting interesting.

Aytrial

I can easily walk into any retailer and pick up an Xbox One if I want to, whereas the PS4 is sold out until 2014.

The demand is there for PS4s...the stock, not so much.

So Microsoft is doing what they want to do? They said it themselves like 3 months ago, they DONT WANT Xbox One to be sold out everyone, they WANT people to be able to walk into the store and just pick it up. Sony stated this as well, except Sony is failing with this. Its not a matter of having no demand or anything, its just everyone who WANTS an Xbox One already bought one, now they're leaving stock for impulse buys and Holiday Shoppers.

Funny how Microsoft is managing to send enough stock to cover this, cause, you know, yield issues. ;)

I can easily walk into any retailer and pick up an Xbox One if I want to, whereas the PS4 is sold out until 2014.

The demand is there for PS4s...the stock, not so much.

Again, this is what Microsoft wants. I already have two friends that bought the Xbox One over the PS4 because of how much easier it is to buy the Xbox One over the PS4, while at BestBuy yesterday I saw an old lady with her daughter (who was in her 40s) ask for a PS4 or Xbox One, and got the Xbox One after they said PS4 is out of stock. Microsoft is succeeding as far as they're concerned.

Tablo

Interesting, good to see how universal perceptions of the value of a given device aren't homogenous nor lopsided. Thank you based Australia :D #diversity

Nemesis_

Two of my local stores are sold out of Xbox Ones and PS4s.

Anecdotal, yes, but just an observation. I mean yeah there were more Xbox Ones. I wonder if this is where the idea of "Tier 1" was more beneficial for MS.

Top Bottom