• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Tops World In Mobile Apps Revenue, main driver is mobile games

Akira

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303330204579251221692606100

TOKYO—Japan overtook the U.S. to become the world's No. 1 country in app store revenue, thanks to an explosion in growth of smartphone and tablet games.

Japanese consumers spent roughly 10% more than U.S. consumers did on all apps found on smartphones and tablets in October, according to app tracker App Annie. That amount is triple the spending in South Korea and six times that in Great Britain. Just a year ago, Japanese consumers spent 40% less than U.S. consumers.

The reversal reflects a shift from advanced feature phones to smartphones in Japan that pioneered mobile Internet systems. Japanese consumers have long been conditioned to buy digital content from train schedules to games to fancy emoticons on advanced feature phones. Japanese carrier NTT DoCoMo Inc. 9437.TO +0.24% introduced its mobile Internet service i-mode at the beginning of 1999, eight years before the first iPhone and nine years before the first Android-powered phone. In 2009, Japanese consumers were already spending more than ¥553 billion ($5.4 billion) on digital content. By 2012, that was up to ¥851 billion, according to the Mobile Content Forum.

"The adoption of smartphones is much faster than what we expected," said Peter Warman, chief executive at Amsterdam-based game data research firm Newzoo BV. "It's fueling further growth."

The main driver has been mobile games. Japanese consumers spent nearly four times as much as a year ago on gaming apps, App Annie said. That has lifted spending on Android-powered devices to quadruple in the year to October, App Annie said, making Japan the first place in the world where Google GOOG -0.68% Play spending has caught up to app spending on Apple's AAPL -0.74% iPhones and iPads, it said.

In August, Mr. Warman had forecast that Japan's total mobile game revenue would come to around 26% of an estimated $12.2 billion in global revenue, while North America—although three times bigger in terms of the number of players—comprised only 25%.

Mr. Warman's numbers on Japan now look conservative, he said, noting that revenues will likely be closer to $4 billion. Japan will likely remain the world's biggest mobile game market for at least another year, he said.

Unlike browser-based games, apps are easier to adapt for overseas markets, and Japan's wholehearted adoption of smartphones is lowering barriers between countries and gaming cultures. The willingness of consumers to spend on mobile content—and in particular on games—is luring game makers from abroad. Developers from Supercell and King.com are at the gate, spending money on promotional gimmicks and advertisements to try to break in. Meanwhile, Japanese developers are trying to sell their games abroad.

Many Japanese companies now eye partnerships with local game developers to combine overseas tastes with Japanese know-how. Gree Inc., 3632.TO -5.49% a pioneer in social games with its popular "Fishing Star" game in 2007, last year bought U.S.-based "Modern War" mobile game developer Funzio for $210 million to build games for Western audiences. Line Corp. is looking to expand partnerships around the world. It recently partnered with PT Kreon Mobile, a subsidiary of Indonesia's largest online game publisher, PT Kreon.

Jun Otsuka, Line's global business manager, said he meets with developers around the world at clips of 30 minutes each, to find the right fit.

In the end, the only real advantage that Japan has abroad may be a devotion to service.

"We are part of the service industry," Mr. Otsuka said. "Users are buying the total experience. You can't sell something and then walk away."

I wonder if the PS4 can reverse this migration to mobile gaming in Japan.

markot

Banned
DHSVp.gif

Zhao_Yun

This news doesn't surprise me at all.

Nintendo es doooommmmedddddd.

More like good games from Japan as a whole. Why is mobile so popular there anyways?

Most Japanese have to commute quite long to work/university/school and nowadays nearly everyone takes out his/her smartphone in the train to either play games/read newspaper/use chat applications. Just board a train in Tokyo during commuting times and you'll understand.

Silky

Banned
A mobile game? It's on a phone. Phones don't have physical buttons. Therefore, it's bad! Right?!

/s

Not surprising stats tbh

Ratrat

I predict vita is Sonys last handheld and 4ds will bomb.

Edit: what exactly does house size have to do with it? People have TVs and bluray players don't they?

klee123

Not surprised and certainly explains why third parties are going crazy with mobile development.

I think in this case not even the 3DS is safe from this trend.

Sandfox

That really depends on how they adapt to the emergence of mobile and IMO how gamers looking for more deep experiences than the average mobile game adapt(and if the major companies start making more games for them on mobile).

VariantX

More like good games from Japan as a whole. Why is mobile so popular there anyways?

Because mobile and handheld gaming works for their lifestyle better. Alot of time is spent commuting on trains. Also, not alot of living space, so people tend to meet up at places rather than at each others home out of convenience and handheld/mobile gaming fit into that lifestyle quite nicely.

MarkusRJR

From listening to 8-4 Play and talking to an old friend who moved to Japan, it seems there's rising stigma around games that they are for kids (basically what North America had before the DS/Wii). People would rather look like they're doing something on their phone instead. It may be why vertical orientation games are popular there too (but it may be because of there being no seats on public transportation and you need one hand to hold on lol).

Mortemis

Banned
The future of jrpg's on consoles doesn't look bright. :/

I hope at least nintendo handhelds don't bomb. At LEAST give me that japan. D:

BigDug13

They have half the population of the U.S., so that's roughly 2x per capita purchasing in comparison to the U.S.

No wonder Vita struggles so hard. Everyone has a phone, everyone rides the train, everyone walks to the train, it's just too perfect.

Snakeyes

From listening to 8-4 Play and talking to an old friend who moved to Japan, it seems there's rising stigma around games that they are for kids (basically what North America had before the DS/Wii). People would rather look like they're doing something on their phone instead. It may be why vertical orientation games are popular there too (but it may be because of there being no seats on public transportation and you need one hand to hold on lol).
I thought they were supposed to be past that phase since the PS1 days?

This would also prevent most "high-end" mobile games from being made with third party controllers in mind as most Japanese gamers wouldn't be caught dead using one. Can't pretend to be the cool and mature individual that would never even think of playing a game if people on the train see you with a controller attachment!

Can we stop having "Why is Japanese gaming development dying" threads now? This is your answer. Not dying, but transitioning as their priorities now lye elsewhere.

does japanese gamer actually love all those mobile games? every time we heard of new mobile games from squenix, capcom etc, we here in neogaf mostly groaned about it, saying traditional gaming is dead and many other hyperbole etc, but does Japanese gamer actually shout 'Fuck Yes!' in excitement when Capcom announce new Breath of Fire for mobile, or when Capcom say they're investing MonHun money for mobile games.

just wondering if I'm still on the same page with the japanese audience. I have no problem with handheld games, 3ds and Vita is pretty awesome. although I really can't get into mobile games, especially the free to play games. the reason I used to like jrpg are the story, character, epic adventure etc that I just don't know if still there in smartphone games.

edit: I guess I'm wondering if the smartphone games are still targeting the same audience as when console and dedicated gaming handheld healthier

Eusis

I'm not sure they evcer really got past it, PS1 was probably just a sweet spot for when many of those who grew up on Famicom entered their teens or adulthood. Wonder if many of those abandoning games afterwards actually made it worse for people going forward than better?

Edit: what exactly does house size have to do with it? People have TVs and bluray players don't they?

Many families only have 1 TV in a small-ish living room. If other family members are watching a show, one person wouldn't want to be rude and tell them to stop so he can play Project Diva or whatever. He'll just avoid confrontation and sit on the sofa with everyone but play PazuDora on his smartphone.

Ratrat

Many families only have 1 TV in a small-ish living room. If other family members are watching a show, one person wouldn't want to be rude and tell them to stop so he can play Project Diva or whatever. He'll just avoid confrontation and sit on the sofa with everyone but play PazuDora on his smartphone.
Do you have any proof that this is the case? Cause I'm pretty sure it's not even close to being true.

Square Enix are assholes for pricing DQ8 at ¥2,800. It's going to sell really well unfortunately.

MarkusRJR

Maybe it's coming back due to the rise of smartphone gaming? My friend said his friends in Japan refuse to play their 3DS in public due to feeling embarrassed, and they now play exclusively on their iPhones. 8-4 Play also mentioned something similar on an email a few episodes back.

Honestly even in North America the stigma is coming back regarding portable consoles. My local friends only play on smartphones now and find the 3DS embarrassing and kiddie. It's kind of funny because a few years ago we always would play Animal Crossing on our transit rides.

Elvick

Banned
You disappoint me Japan, but you don't surprise me.

I just refuse to buy mobile at all now. Don't even really enjoy playing the games, just 'go through the motions' so there's no real point. It's like watching a show you're not paying attention to. It's there, but you're not really getting anything from it. (personal opinion obviously)

It's inevitable. We should all prepare ourselves for the mobile future in gaming in Japan. Just like China has PC gaming, Japan will be left with mobile gaming. Most of the major publishers/developers will find it hard to resist this market, handhelds won't survive much under this new climate.

Do you have any proof that this is the case? Cause I'm pretty sure it's not even close to being true.

Square Enix are assholes for pricing DQ8 at ¥2,800. It's going to sell really well unfortunately.

I live in Japan and have been to many homes where there is only one TV on the house. My mother in law plays a smartphone game when my wife and I are visiting and watch TV in the living room. Children go to a park or return to their schools after school to play with their friends there and many of them bring their 3DS so they can play together. But I do have a Japanese friend who has a second TV in a spare bedroom and he plays his PS3 there. And my friend's younger brother has a TV in his room and he plays a lot of SF IV.

Plus, many people commute by train to work and work overtime, so they're not home until late. Their commute becomes their free time, so playing a handheld or smartphone game is an easy decision.

Yeah, this is just my limited experience and not representative of Japan as a whole. There are many console gamers here and the PS3 has sold very well. The used (console) games market is huge here, so it's not like everyone had migrated to smart phone games. But not everyone in Japan is a gamer. The number of "casuals" outnumber the "core gamers," and they're the ones eating up the smartphone games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is that number overall or average per capita? Japan's population is like 1/3 of the US.
It sounds like overall:

"In August, Mr. Warman had forecast that Japan's total mobile game revenue would come to around 26% of an estimated $12.2 billion in global revenue, while North America—although three times bigger in terms of the number of players—comprised only 25%.

Mr. Warman's numbers on Japan now look conservative, he said, noting that revenues will likely be closer to $4 billion. Japan will likely remain the world's biggest mobile game market for at least another year, he said."

Top Bottom