• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Lore Thread

Valhelm

contribute something
THE ELDER SCROLLS

NG5GJ2p.jpg

The first ones were brothers: Anu and Padomay. They came into the Void, and Time began. - The Monomyth

The Elder Scrolls has perhaps the deepest canon of any videogame series. Incredibly original and just as vast, the games' universe has been built up of fifteen years' worth of dialogue, books, blog posts, and essays. Appreciators of this lore are a fandom themselves, with a marvelous subreddit, a lore-driven wiki, and a podcast
all devoted to the study of the weird and wondrous world of Mundus.

Getting Started

The best way to dive into the Elder Scrolls universe is to play the games. Skyrim and Oblivion might not delve into the lore as deeply as Morrowind or Daggerfall, but they're a wonderful way to learn the basics of the series and develop a basic understanding of Mundus' mythology. The aforementioned TES Lore subreddit is a great place to discuss the universe and all its intricacies. Their Pocket Guide to Lore is pretty nifty and serves as an excellent companion to the Pocket Guide to the Empire, a lengthy in-game book that describes all of Tamriel's provinces.

A dozen hours of Oblivion might tell you a little bit about the gods and kings of so ancient a continent, but it's impossible to grasp the breadth of Tamriel's mythology without at least a cursory glance at some online resources. The Elder Scrolls is a universe comparable in scale to Middle Earth or A Song of Ice and Fire, and each game adds mountains of new material to the already lofty body of lore.

Mythology

The Aurbis was created in the time before time, when Anu (stasis) and Padomay (change) battled in the void. The Aurbis is the universe of the Elder Scrolls, and encompasses the world of Mundus and its firmament, made up of the planes of Oblivion, the planes of Aetherius, and the Void in between. Borne by Padomay to destroy what his brother had created, Lorkhan was the God of Creation, for he rebelled against his father and planned to create a world of his own design. With the help of the Aedra, or gods, he designed the world of Mundus, known to the elves as Nirn. Lorkhan poured his life into the creation of the planet. Unlike the Aether, which was the essence of stasis, or Oblivion, which was the essence of change, Mundus would be a place of balance, where mortal beings would live and die, and where time would all things would be temporal. The Aedra did not approve of what had become of Lorkhan's design, and had him destroyed. His body was shattered and became the moons, and the holes ripped by the retreating Aedra became the sun and the stars. Some of the Aedra died and had their bodies scattered among Mundus. From these fragments came the Ehlonfey, the first people, who were the ancestors of all men and elves.

Eight of the Aedra - Akatosh, Arkay, Dibella, Julianos, Kynareth, Mara, Stendarr, and Zenithar - would keep watch over the planet Mundus, and guide its development. Though Lorkhan the creator god was dead, his spirit lived on. Some of the fragments of Lorkhan's soul formed the spirit of Talos. Though an ancient Aedra, Talos descended to Mundus in human form six hundred years before the events of Skyrim. Born as Hjalti, this mortal would form the great Septim Empire, which would rule Tamriel for centuries. Upon the death of Tiber Septim, the spirit of Talos came to be worshiped by the men of Tamriel alongside the divines, and the Eight became Nine.

Politics

For most of Tamriel's recorded history, the continent has been united under the banner of Empire.

In the first era, the humans were enslaved by the brutal elves called the Ayelids, who worshiped birds and the sky, and rejected law or government. The mad Ayelids were so driven by their obsession that they mutated their own bodies, and grew feathers. One slave, a teenage girl named Alessia prayed to the gods for a respite from this oppression. Akatosh sent down two heroes, Pelinal and Morihaus. The former was a tireless, mysterious, and undefeatable warrior, who conquered the Ayelids and slayed their king. So driven with madness and hatred for the elves, he formed dozens of kingdoms out of old Elven land, then grew bored of kingship and went on to conquer more land. Eventually these kingdoms became the First Empire. Pelinal left Mundus, and left Alessia as emperess, and Morihaus as her husband and adviser.

Millennia later, long after the collapse of the Alessian Empire, the vicious snake-worshipping Akaviri peoples of the East tried to conquer Tamriel. A minor Colovian king named Reman led an army against the Akaviri, and destroyed the invading forces. Knowing that they had been defeated, but not decisively, the Eastern snake-people ended the war, but mandated that Akaviris must fill government posts across the Empire, recently formed by Reman, who now called himself Reman Cyrodiil. Under Reman, Tamriel was ushered into a new period of prosperity and innovation never before seen. Roads and castles were built across Tamriel and the Imperial City was formed around the ancient tower of the Ayelids. In the last years of the First Era, almost 3000 years after Alessia prayed to the Eight Divines, 200 years after Reman formed his empire, the Akaviri officials of the empire staged a coup and took power. Thus began the Second Era of Tamriel. Four hundred years later, Dark Elf assassins would kill the foreign emperor and his heirs, and Tamriel would fall apart once more into hundreds of cities and kingdoms independent from each other.

In 2E 849 a new empire was formed. Barely twenty years old, the Nord Talos came to Tamriel from the frozen island of Atmora. Trained by the mysterious Greybeards in Skyrim, he learned to master the ancient magic of the voice, and used this to unite an army. He served under Cuhlecain, a king of Colovia, and helped form the Third Empire. After the death of the emperor, General Talos took on the name Tiber Septim. Upon his death he ascended to the Aetherium, to rule the heavens as an equal of the Eight Divines.

The current empire is ruled by the Mede dynasty, and things are not well. Following the assassination of Emperor Uriel Septim VII, and the ascension of his bastard Martin to the sky, the empire was plunged into chaos. The High Elves of the Summerset Isle broke free from the nation, and formed the Aldmeri Dominion. Led by a radical group called the Thalmor, bent on bringing about the destruction of Mundus and all its inhabitants, these elves did not manage to defeat the empire, but much like the Akaviri of old, demanded that their agents patrol the empire at all times, and permeate the governments of the Dominon's enemies. While the threat of dragons ended during the events of Skyrim, the Thalmor are still a terrifying threat. According to writer Michael Kirkbride, creator of most of the Elder Scrolls lore, the Thalmor are going to win in the end.

Canon

Unlike a franchise like Harry Potter or A Song of Ice and Fire, all created by one person, multiple writers have contributed to the Elder Scrolls universe. As such, conflicts occur. The account I've given in the OP is the "accepted view" of events by in-game characters, although many fans and characters disagree with what I said. Another issue is that much of the game's lore has been added by Bethesda writers outside of the games. Michael Kirkbride is a contributing writer for all of the Elder Scrolls games. His blog contains some really outlandish, and often brilliant ideas (an ancient Elven queen was a robot, Pelinal traveled through time, Talos and Tiber Septim were two different people....), but not every fan accepts that as canon. Much of his writing, as well as some information given on the semi-official Elder Scrolls blog, is considered to be "obscure lore". This is information not directly given in the games, but considered to be canon by many of the developers. Often, it contradicts fundamental ideas about the Aurbis. And recently, a lot of this "obscure lore" was referenced in Skyrim.

Visual Resources

Tamriel:

Mundus:

Mundus and the Firmanent:

ElderScrollsCosmo.jpg

Races of Tamriel, as seen in Skyrim:

E352C0C67AC3D963C0F914DEC64C47D8E575738D

Elven Races (Daedric rune denotes Daedric involvment):
LnhVmcP.jpg

In Conclusion

The Elder Scrolls universe is vast, and has perhaps the deepest and most original lore of any videogame franchise. Though the games may seem a bit standard fantasy to the layperson, the deeper you go the more novel and wonderfully weird the Elder Scrolls get. This thread can be a place where we can discuss the Aurbis and all its inhabitants, and learn about the remarkable, remarkable lore. Perhaps, even, we can decide what exactly these mysterious elder scrolls are for.

What questions do you have about the Elder Scrolls universe? How familiar are you with its lore?

kenjisalk

That's the thing that is so frustrating and yet amazing about this franchise to me: there is so much detail to the world and so many amazingly original and complex stories to be had therein, but you get as much out of it as you put into finding it.

There's this Tolkien-level world of lore to explore yet most people run around like it's GTA randomly killing stuff and get all "snoooooze what a boring universe" about it.

Love me some TES lore. Subbed.

That's the thing that is so frustrating and yet amazing about this franchise to me: there is so much detail to the world and so many amazingly original and complex stories to be had therein, but you get as much out of it as you put into finding it.

There's this Tolkien-level world of lore to explore yet most people run around like it's GTA randomly killing stuff and get all "snoooooze what a boring universe" about it.
Yeah, I hear the "this is just boring high fantasy" line all the time. Brought to you from the same people who think Dark Souls doesn't have a story line because they have the attention span of a goldfish.

Has there been an elder scrolls game where you explored the other continents?

Arena allowed you to do this. TESO will allow you to do it in a very limited fashion - more in the vein of themed amusement park "zones" that you see in other MMOs. i.e. don't expect to run into the lethal plagues and flesh-eating flies that make Black Marsh virtually inhospitable for non-Argonians.

gogosox8

Do you mean outside of Tameriel? No its basically just Tameriel but there's so many places in Tameriel we haven't really been yet. I'd personally want to see the next TES game in Elsweyr (where the Khajiit live). I've only been playing since Morrowind so I missed Arena and Daggerfall so maybe they could go back their and do another story of some king involving Hammerfell and High Rock.

The races through the ages...

But, where are the Dwenmer! And, is Talos a real god or not?

Hope we never find out what happened to the Dwemer, the mystery is too sweet. I'm reluctant to believe Azura got rid of them all out of spite - I feel like if daedra could wipe whole races off the face of the Earth they'd do it more often. They probably all transcended the physical plane when they messed with the Heart of Lorkhan.

As for Talos, he seems like a fairly typical "civilization deifies a beloved leader" sort of archetype, so I'm inclined to believe he's not actually a Divine. On the other hand praying to him in-game confers actual benefits...whether that's gaminess at play, or if an actual God has a role in it I don't know.

kenjisalk

There is a theory that tampering with the heart ripped them out of the dreamsleeve, basically in a limbo state out of space-time.

Valhelm

contribute something

Not yet! Tamriel's contact with Yokuda, Pyandoea, and Akavir has traditionally been incredibly limited. In the decades before Oblivion, Imperial colonies were built in Akavir and the various islands that dot the Eastern Sea, but these were all destroyed or released by the Empire after Uriel Septim VII (Patrick Stewart's character) was killed.

This nifty map shows, in detail, some of the lands West of Tamriel.

tamriel_west_map_improved_by_hellfire2079-d3bdlmi.jpg

Nothing much is known about any of those islands. There's so much material in the Elder Scrolls game that I'd absolutely love a game to be set West of Tamriel. At the same time, no game has taken place in Elsweyr, Valenwood, Black Marsh, or the Summerset Isles. Those four areas are just as deserving of more exploration.

East of Tamriel is Akavir.

Akavir.jpg

It's pretty well accepted by fans that the people, culture, music, and food of the continent resembles that of East Asia, but there's no way to be sure. What we do know is that they worship snakes, and there may or may not be a violent race of snake-people living deep inland.

If you want to play a game in these areas, you can check out the totally unofficial but totally rad Elder Kings mod for Crusader Kings 2. I'd totally recommend it.

This is a great thread, thanks for starting this! Morrowind had such amazing lore and backstory in the game, spent a long time rifling through vivec and other places discovering it.

It's pretty well accepted by fans that the people, culture, music, and food of the continent resembles that of East Asia, but there's no way to be sure. What we do know is that they worship snakes, and there may or may not be a violent race of snake-people living deep inland.

Yeah, Akavir is awesome, and there are still so many mysteries surrounding it. The race of snake people you refer to, the Tsaeci...are they actual vampiric snake people or is that just typical Imperial xenophobia? Then you have the tiger people, the Ka Po'Tun...are they actually feline like the Khajiit, or do they merely embody the idea of a tiger? And their king who allegedly became a dragon. How is that possible? Did he do it in fact or is it more symbolism?

One of my favorite things about TES lore is how inconclusive a lot of stuff is. You have to take into account who it's being reported by and what potential biases they might have.

Edit: Regarding the Akaviri...Oblivion appeared to show them in a spectral form in a particular quest as just looking like normal humanoids. Pretty sure that was just a lazy cop-out but who knows what Bethesda's intent was. We don't even know what race of Akaviri they were supposed to be. Presumably Tsaeci. They seem to be the default race that people assume when you say Akaviri.

Yeah, Akavir is awesome, and there are still so many mysteries surrounding it. The race of snake people you refer to, the Tsaeci...are they actual vampiric snake people or is that just typical Imperial xenophobia? Then you have the tiger people, the Ka Po'Tun...are they actually feline like the Khajiit, or do they merely embody the idea of a tiger? And their king who allegedly became a dragon. How is that possible? Did he do it in fact or is it more symbolism?

One of my favorite things about TES lore is how inconclusive a lot of stuff is. You have to take into account who it's being reported by and what potential biases they might have.

Edit: Regarding the Akaviri...Oblivion appeared to show them in a spectral form in a particular quest as just looking like normal humanoids. Pretty sure that was just a lazy cop-out but who knows what Bethesda's intent was. We don't even know what race of Akaviri they were supposed to be. Presumably Tsaeci. They seem to be the default race that people assume when you say Akaviri.

Just ask M'Aiq the Liar. He knows all, and will tell you the whole truth of what you need. ;)

Valhelm

contribute something
But, where are the Dwenmer! And, is Talos a real god or not?

I like the theory that the Dwemer, instead of becoming gods, turned themselves into the patchwork skin of the Aetherium. So they are among the heavens, but not in the way they thought.

The Dwemer ruins were some of the best areas in Skyrim. I loved the vaguely Art Deco brass-and-steam aesthetic, and I think it was no coincidence that the deep, decrepit cities reminded me of Rapture.

Talos is a god. He is essentially the form of Lorkhan that walked Tamriel, before leaving for the heavens. Throughout Mundus' history the gods have repeatedly helped humanity in various times of crisis. Sending Talos to Tamriel is not much different from sending Pelinal. Talos is an interesting figure because, although he was a man, he was a god both before and after the death of Hjalti/Tiber Septim. However, it seems that he lived his life as a human being, probably knowing but never understanding his holiness.

Talos probably represents Jesus, especially given his relationship with his "father", Lorkhan. A basic understanding of Christian dogma can clear up a lot of the mystery with Talos.

There are actually many more gods than the Eight Divines. I would argue that Tiber Septim does not deserve to be considered as holy as the others, especially because he died only six hundred years before the events of Skyrim, while others have helped humanity (and certain other races) for millennia.

Looking at those other continents, there's a lot of material for other games, too bad they take 5 years to put one of these out :(

I'd absolutely love it if The Elder Scrolls was a semi-annual franchise, with a new game every two years. Every four or five years a big, numbered title would come out, but on the off years we would get smaller games in the style of Redguard or the Elder Scrolls online. This would require two teams, though, and I'm not sure if Bethesda has the means to do that.

I love ES lore! This thread should be interesting.

Question about the maps, didn't Yokuda sink? So it's not there anymore right? That's why the Redguards live in Hammerfell.

kenjisalk

See, I just wish they'd let Obsidian do to Elder Scrolls what they did to Fallout :)

If you mean expansions built on the main Skyrim engine that incorporates new geography ala Bloodmoon then I'm on board.

I just don't want a new stand alone title every two years because it would be rushed, lacking in dense lore to consume and even buggier than usual.

can't be any worse than oblivion.
Can we not turn the thread into this please? If you hate Oblivion/Skyrim and think Daggerfall/Arena/Morrowind was the last true RPG in the series then fine. There's no need to derail the thread into arguments about that. Let's just keep it to the lore discussion please.

Valhelm

contribute something

I think that the Tsaeci are actually different from the Akavir that ruled Tamriel and formed the Blades? It mentions that they "devoured" the other people of the continent. Either this means they were actual snake monsters that ate the humans somehow, or they were just people, with an affinity for snakes, who conquered the other civilizations.

Personally, I think that the Tsaeci were monstrous, and the other races looked human. I imagine the non-Tsaeci races as looking Southeast Asian in the same way that the Yokuda and Redguards look East African.

Speaking of Reguards, is The Elder Scrolls: Redguard available for download anywhere online? I'd love to play it.

I think that the Tsaeci are actually different from the Akavir that ruled Tamriel and formed the Blades? It mentions that they "devoured" the other people of the continent. Either this means they were actual snake monsters that ate the humans somehow, or they were just people, with an affinity for snakes, who conquered the other civilizations.

Personally, I think that the Tsaeci were monstrous, and the other races looked human. I imagine the non-Tsaeci races as looking Southeast Asian in the same way that the Yokuda and Redguards look East African.

Speaking of Reguards, is The Elder Scrolls: Redguard available for download anywhere online? I'd love to play it.
I always assumed the Akavir that came to Tameriel were different from the Tsaeci. Especially since there's really no evidence of snake people having lived on Tameriel. I figured that the Akavir just interbred with the native populations after awhile.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
geography and cartography are always the most interesting aspects of lore to me. for some reason it means more to me to see where things are relative to each other, and what is "outside" of the scope of what is usually talked about.

with that said, TES lore is something very unique and i enjoyed reading up on it a while ago.

gogosox8

Talos is a god. He is essentially the form of Lorkhan that walked Tamriel, before leaving for the heavens. Throughout Mundus' history the gods have repeatedly helped humanity in various times of crisis. Sending Talos to Tamriel is not much different from sending Pelinal. Talos is an interesting figure because, although he was a man, he was a god both before and after the death of Hjalti/Tiber Septim. However, it seems that he lived his life as a human being, probably knowing but never understanding his holiness.

Talos probably represents Jesus, especially given his relationship with his "father", Lorkhan. A basic understanding of Christian dogma can clear up a lot of the mystery with Talos.

There are actually many more gods than the Eight Divines. I would argue that Tiber Septim does not deserve to be considered as holy as the others, especially because he died only six hundred years before the events of Skyrim, while others have helped humanity (and certain other races) for millennia.

That's an interesting take on Talos but couldn't you argue that he should be considered as holy if he's the reincarnated, mortal form Lorkhan who basically created man. So you could argue than he created man and then helped reunite them later.

I love ES lore! This thread should be interesting.

Question about the maps, didn't Yokuda sink? So it's not there anymore right? That's why the Redguards live in Hammerfell.

Yeah Yoduka did sink and that's why the Redguards are in Hammerfell. Anyone know why it sank? I never could find out why.

Yeah Yoduka did sink and that's why the Redguards are in Hammerfell. Anyone know why it sank? I never could find out why.

I've seen it attributed to a band of rogue "Ansei" (basically magical swordsman) who used their power to devastate the land and make it sink. Whatever the case the Redguards knew Yokuda was sinking and were able to save enough of their people to survive a long ocean voyage and conquer an entire province when they made landfall.

hitoshi

I love the Elder Scrolls game to death, and I really, really like the whole lore, but whenever I encounter or see a a Khajit and an Argonian, I am instantly pushed out of the fantasy. It is just really, really bad, early '60s Star-Trek material that has absolutely no place in a game that is made to be taken seriously. And having dragons meaning anything can happen is not a great reasoning for me.

Valhelm

contribute something
geography and cartography are always the most interesting aspects of lore to me. for some reason it means more to me to see where things are relative to each other, and what is "outside" of the scope of what is usually talked about.

with that said, TES lore is something very unique and i enjoyed reading up on it a while ago.

I find it very interesting that Tamriel is a little smaller than Western Europe. Yokuda and Akavir aren't that far, but the oceans are so treacherous that trade and contact are incredibly difficult. Sailors who drown in hurricanes are the lucky ones, as they don't get chewed to death by a Sea Drake or enslaved in the underwater coral cities of the Dreugh and Sload.

Sotha Sil

The thing I really love about TES is that it's one of the few series that actually bothers to include unreliable documents and grand narratives, which kinda blew my mind back in the day. The fact that you can find whole books that contradict official history is groundbreaking in itself as far as RPGs are concerned.

Also could anyone help me understand the whole Anticipations business? There are dudes that used to be goddesses, or the other way around? wut

Valhelm

contribute something

Nah, Yokuda never sank fully. It was flooded, and caused many refugees flee East and create their own kingdoms, but the continent and the Yokudans still exist. Ships from Yokuda arrive in Anvil and the ports of Hammerfell from time to time. My guess is that a continent the size of Tamriel is now a long island chain.

Sotha Sil

Nah, Yokuda never sank fully. It was flooded, and caused many refugees flee East and create their own kingdoms, but the continent and the Yokudans still exist. Ships from Yokuda arrive in Anvil and the ports of Hammerfell from time to time. My guess is that a continent the size of Tamriel is now a long island chain.

Completely forgot about this. Interesting.

Valhelm

contribute something
Also could anyone help me understand the whole Anticipations business? There are dudes that used to be goddesses, or the other way around? wut

Hahaha, the Anticipations stuff totally confounds me. I'm pretty hazy on anything Dunmer, and haven't actually played Morrowind yet. Judging by your username, you're probably a lot more well-informed than I am.

gogosox8

Ok so its just not as big but it still exists. Interesting stuff. So they could do a game there involving the Redguards. That would be pretty cool.

I don't have much to add except that I think The Elder Scrolls series has, what might be, the absolute best lore of any long running series in gaming. Its so deep and rich and unlike any other thing out there.

8c6.jpg

The concept of Chim and The Tower and all linked ideas is completely fascinating and has some real world application in my opinion. Will be reading this thread.

Sotha Sil

Hahaha, the Anticipations stuff totally confounds me. I'm pretty hazy on anything Dunmer, and haven't actually played Morrowind yet. Judging by your username, you're probably a lot more well-informed than I am.

It's a tribute to the wonderful imagination of those crazy people at Bethesda: the concept is so alien and weird it's actually incomprehensible. Feels like a regular religion.

I won't spoil it though, go play Morrowind ASAP. Since you love the lore you should get past the jank quite easily.

Valhelm

contribute something
I really, really, really hope that the next Elder Scrolls numbered game is set in the Summerset Isles and Pyandonea. It would such a marvelous contrast, between the cultivated Altmer and the lawless, primitive Sea Elves.

In my imagination, the cities of the Altmer have an Art Nouveu aesthetic, and are vaguely reminiscent of the Eiffel Tower. From what we know, their buildings are all made of glass and iron, and "look like an insect's wing". Given that 200 years have passed since Oblivion, and the Summerset Isles were the only part of Tamriel to not go to shit, I like to think that the province has been taken over by magical technology. I really hope there are huge factories that utilize magical skill alongside machinery, and giant, Dwemer-like mechanisms used for the scientific study and manipulation of magic.

And I love to think that the Maormer are very alien, with black eyes and webbed feet, and vicious claws and teeth. Hopefully they look more like Orcs than High Elves. Being able to explore Pyandonea would be incredible.

davepoobond

I find it very interesting that Tamriel is a little smaller than Western Europe. Yokuda and Akavir aren't that far, but the oceans are so treacherous that trade and contact are incredibly difficult. Sailors who drown in hurricanes are the lucky ones, as they don't get chewed to death by a Sea Drake or enslaved in the underwater coral cities of the Dreugh and Sload.

wow, i didnt realize that its that small compared to the world.... it kind of opens up your mind into thinking about how there's soooo much stuff just for Tamriel, what the hell is in the rest of the world? haha... jeez

Valravn

TESO will take a massive dump on all the established lore of the series.

Im mean the alliances. WTH? There is no mention of alliances in any history book in the series. And "it was thousands of years ago" is a pretty weak argument, Because alliances between races and the wars they have is a happening you dont exactly forget to write down.

Valhelm

contribute something

Im mean the alliances. WTH? There is no mention of alliances in any history book in the series. And "it was thousands of years ago" is a pretty weak argument, Because alliances between races and the wars they have is a happening you dont exactly forget to write down.

Don't worry about The Elder Scrolls Online. They took a shitton of liberties to translate the game into an MMO style. It's essentially Elder Scrolls fanfiction. Bethesda doesn't seem to consider it to be fully canon, and I doubt many fans do either.

davepoobond

just like all those texts in the Library of Alexandria?

i dont see much harm in taking the elements that DO work with normal canon from TESO, though.

Top Bottom