• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Review Thread: Tomb Raider Definitive Edition

PC (max settings):
ku-xlarge.gif

Xbox One:
ku-xlarge.gif

Reviews coming in. Feel free to add more.

10/10 - Press Start
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is the first game to fully utilise the next-gen hardware in my opinion. The game looks absolutely incredible on the PS4 and runs at an exceptional frame rate. The use of the PS4 specific features are gimmicky, but much appreciated. Anybody that didn't play the original are in for an absolute treat. I'd still recommend this to people who loved the original, but just be prepared that there isn't much extra for you to play through.

9.25/10 - Game Informer
The biggest draw of Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is the improved graphics. They're simply stunning in perhaps the best-looking console game I've ever seen. Running smooth 1080p resolution, this new version adds an incredible level of detail to the newly modeled characters and lush environments. From Lara's uncannily realistic hair to the shimmer of water reflections on a cave wall, every inch of this game is visually striking. It's a tantalizing glimpse at the wonders that these new consoles have in store for us.

9.1/10 - IGN
The upstep in visual detail from the older console versions is a nice bonus, but Tomb Raider didn’t need massaging. It’s the same well-realised action reboot for Lara Croft that came as such a pleasant surprise last year. It’s still well-written, sympathetic, exciting, beautiful, and just incredibly well-made.

9/10 - Polygon
More impressively, Tomb Raider’s already excellent visuals benefit from the added power of next-gen hardware. The islands of the Dragon’s Triangle are more dense with foliage and wreckage, a small change that adds additional life to the environment. Character models have also received some work, and Lara in particular expresses emotions more realistically as she explores.

9/10 - Crave Online
If you're one of the many who mistakenly missed out on one of last year's greatest, this is the PS4 and Xbox One's first true AAA title. You'll have a lot of fun firing 1080p arrows at enemies, and learn just how big of a difference there is between last-gen and current-gen hardware.

4.5/5 - US Gamer
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is an excellent port for PS4 and Xbox One, with some great graphical improvements. You can tell Crystal Dynamics pulled out all of the stops to make this the best version of Tomb Raider. If you've played it before, it may worth a rent. If you haven't, the Definitive Edition is great purchase that outclasses the PC edition. Unfortunately, the potential price gulf between this version and the PC version can make it a hard sell.

4.5/5 - Hardcore Gamer
Tomb Raider remains one of the better action games to have been released in the last twelve months, and it gives the next generation consoles some life in a rather dry time. This is without doubt the definitive console edition of Tomb Raider, but the completeness and subtle visual enhancements are not enough to warrant another playthrough. If you somehow missed the many opportunities to tryout Lara’s rebooted fiction, then the Definitive Edition offers a remedy for that. - See more at: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/0...efinitive-edition/71328/#sthash.uUmCNujJ.dpuf

3/5 - Escapist
Bottom Line: Tomb Raider is a terrific game, and the Definitive Edition is a gorgeous looking version of it. It's the same game it was in 2013, though, with no further improvements justifying its "definitive" status.
Recommendation: If you have a current-gen system and have never played Tomb Raider, this is a must-buy. If that's not you, then wait for this to become significantly cheaper.

dc89

I did enjoy the game on PS3 and the graphics are greatly improved, it really does look stunning. I'm glad it's getting good scores.

Shancake

Not really sure how The Escapist can give it a 3 then say it's a must purchase for anyone who hasn't played the original?

Dennis

Banned
the Definitive Edition is great purchase that outclasses the PC edition

This is an outrage.

I hope they don't keep up this whole exclusive for console deal for long - I want to play the Definitive Version on my PC.

Thoraxes

Are those gifs from the reviews or something?

Or is there a DF article i'm missing? Their comparison should be great when that happens, too.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This is an outrage.

I hope they don't keep up this whole exclusive for console deal for long - I want to play the Definitive Version on my PC.
And I want to play the $10 edition on PS4. We want what we can't have man.
Although the swaying in the wind is great. I'm super digging that.

Are those gifs from the reviews or something?

Or is there a DF article i'm missing? Their comparison should be great when that happens, too.
It's from Kirk Hamilton's (Kotaku) article on the definitive version.

Not really sure how The Escapist can give it a 3 then say it's a must purchase for anyone who hasn't played the original?

Because it's the same game released a year later for the same price.
It's like if EA released Battlefield 4 next year for full price but less buggy.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm excited to play this, but not $60 excited. I'll get it used, or maybe just buy it at full price and sell it right after finishing it...

This is an outrage.

As a person who purchased the PC version originally, I really would've preferred that Crystal Dynamics had brought the new tweaks over to the PC version. Alas, that's not the reality we live in.

Those moving trees are so sweet though.

Anteater

cool they added animations/physics to environments, I remember thinking they look a bit stale during the leaked gameplay footage because the scene was rainy/windy and they weren't moving, but never really paid attention to it when I got the game.

After watching that comparison video IGN had a few weeks back I was disappointed in the the upgrades. Picked it up yesterday from Gamestop and I was pleasantly surprised, game looks beautiful and runs pretty damn smooth, I'm impressed.

Odrion

Banned
Oh neato, port begging.

Anyways, it's a really good edition. If you haven't played Tomb Raider yet it's a perfect game to keep you occupied until the February games.

Jack cw

Because it's the same game released a year later for the same price.
It's like if EA released Battlefield 4 next year for full price but less buggy.
What a daft post. It's more like they released BF4 in 1080p with ultra settings, a frostbite engine update, new physics and effects. If you don't like the price don't buy it but save us from wrong comparisons.

I feel confident that the definitive edition will come to PC. Probably as an "upgrade" for a fee like Deus Ex: Human Revolution did.

This is Square Enix. They won't leave that PC re-release money on the table. They are just milking the new consoles first.

3 from the escapist has got to be a joke.

Read the review. Context always helps.

First, it's Jim Sterling, which will tell you that his reviews can often equate to a statement about the game as much, if not more, than of the game itself.

Next, he rated it a 3/5 due it having a duality in value. On one hand, if you haven't played the other options currently out there and for cheaper, than it may be a good choice. But it's not a replayability juggernaut and has the same issues as the last gen versions did that make it hardly a worthwhile purchase for those who've dipped into the pool before.

I'll buy it somewhere down the line, as I've waited this long already.

But seriously, read the review and stop getting hung up on a score and having us explain it to you.

Shancake

What a daft post. It's more like they released BF4 in 1080p with ultra settings, a frostbite engine update, new physics and effects. If you don't like the price don't buy it but save us from wrong comparisons.
But the game is even better than what most already considered it as the GOTY. How can it be a 3/5?

They gave the original a 5/5. I don't care how good he thinks the value is. You can't give the original a 5 then this a 3. The graphical differences are incredible.

neither

I had a ton of fun playing the ps3 version, good to see it's reviewing well for ps4/XBO.
Will pick it up when I jump into next gen.

Also, really like the new Lara model, a great improvement.
Always thought her old model looked weird.

Jack cw

But the game is even better than what most already considered it as the GOTY. How can it be a 3/5?
Those updates are visual mainly and not for gameplay as this was spot on. I don't care about ratings and numbers. In that review they praise this game to hell and that's what matters not some price or double dip bullshit.

Shancake

Those updates are visual mainly and not for gameplay as this was spot on. I don't care about ratings and numbers. In that review they praise this game to hell and that's what matters not some price or double dip bullshit.

They have the original a 5/5.... Is this version really 40% worse?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

They gave the original a 5/5. I don't care how good he thinks the value is. You can't give the original a 5 then this a 3. The graphical differences are incredible.

Other games were released they were considered better, not that much of an improvement the list goes on

I have 3 friends who got this at Game Stop for PS4 and they all love it and say what a huge improvement it was over the 7th gen versions in terms of graphics. I just look to have a lot of fun and it sounds like I will!!!

Eusis

They have the original a 5/5.... Is this version really 40% worse?
Hiring Jim Sterling automatically made it 40% worse.

Seriously, different reviewers, different opinions. And usually ports of games tend to rate lower, I'm kind of surprised at how high it is.

EDIT: And "most considered it the game of the year"? You have to joking, whether among the press or enthusiasts only a minority considered it their GotY. Maybe you got this confused with Last of Us somehow.

NinjaBoiX

They are scoring this release remember. I guess they don't think enough was added or something. It's clear from the text that they are recommending the game.

But yeah, maybe 4/5 better reflects the content of the review.

Shancake

They are scoring this release remember. I guess they don't think enough was added or something. It's clear from the text that they are recommending the game.

But yeah, maybe 4/5 better reflects the content of the review.
That's what I don't understand. I get that it's hard to balance a review between those who haven played it and those that haven't but the score just doesn't seem to match the mostly glowing review.

It's a 3 out of 5 if you've already bought the game. Is that really so difficult to understand? There's no need to trouble yourselves over this games Metacritic score. It'll sell regardless.

That's what I don't understand. I get that it's hard to balance a review between those who haven played it and those that haven't but the score just doesn't seem to match the mostly glowing review.

Sterling tends to assign review scores for other reasons than just the game as it is. Half the time it seems like he aims to send a message through his scores.

In this case, it's a 50/50 split essentially on the value of the product. Solid game for those who didn't dip, and worthless to those who already did. He'd probably score RE4s HD version a 2/5 due to it likely to be a straight uprezzed port, despite it being what many consider to be that GOTG, if not GOAT.

In the end though, it's just a number that really has no value. I mean, there's nothing to even compare it to in GAF debates with it releasing this early on and being rather old hat for most people.

pelican

I do not like when reviewers put a monetary value on the enjoyment of a game. Stop assuming everyone has the same financial status. We don't need a reviewer to tell us the value of our disposable income, and how to spend it. So no, despite it offering nothing really new over last year's game I will be buying it next week when it launches in the UK.

Apart from this small moan seems the game is reviewing well, which was expected. Can't wait to replay it again.

Paganmoon

Console looks to have a bigger FoV from those gifs? Other than that, I don't see much difference, Xbox One is more washed out (problem with capture again?), and you can see swaying of the grass and bushes on the PC version to, maybe a bit more on next-gen?

Anyway, never played this, so going to get it, but not at regular price, but seeing that Webhallen in Sweden has it up for preorder for 499 (SEK), might get it right away.

(Regular price in Sweden is usually 599-699 on new games, roughly around or a bit over $100)

I do find it funny how last year this game was a step back gameplay wise and basically hid all its flaws behind pretty graphics, but yet now, by make it even prettier and putting it on the new console hardware, all the flaws in the game are being ignored.

Good on Jim sterling for reminding us that eye candy isnt everything. Looks like the same old Tomb raider 2013 with a fresh coat of paint. Nothing done about the desire to Be Ms Uncharted or QTE fest. pass.

I do not like when reviewers put a monetary value on the enjoyment of a game. Stop assuming everyone has the same financial status. We don't need a reviewer to tell us the value of our disposable income, and how to spend it. So no, despite it offering nothing really new over last year's game I will be buying it next week when it launches in the UK.

Apart from this small moan seems the game is reviewing well, which was expected. Can't wait to replay it again.

Yes, because that's what he was getting at. Nobody can account for every individual reader out there and their situations. But given the majority of posts here, Reddit, and other communities, many who purchased last gens version aren't going to make the conversion, which is where the buy it cheaper line is targeted.

Some folks take reviews and what...game commentators/journalists say way too personally.

LTWheels

I think it's debatable how much it is improved over the PC version. I saw a gif earlier that showed that despite its improvements, it lacks the tessellation that the PC version has.

MilkBeard

I do find it funny how last year this game was a step back gameplay wise and basically hid all its flaws behind pretty graphics, but yet now, by make it even prettier and putting it on the new console hardware, all the flaws in the game are being ignored.

Good on Jim sterling for reminding us that eye candy isnt everything. Looks like the same old Tomb raider 2013 with a fresh coat of paint. Nothing done about the desire to Be Ms Uncharted or QTE fest. pass.

I'm finding the gameplay to be quite fun actually. Nothing groundbreaking, but does every game have to be? It's just fun.

I really like the physics and animation of Lara herself, the way she controls.

Top Bottom