• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox season pass punchard // buy $50 worth of season pass get $5

Caayn

Apologies for the offscreen shots, I couldn't find anything about on the internet so I took them directly from the marketplace.

WP_20140301_001_zps452809b1.jpg

WP_20140301_002_zps08732e92.jpg

WP_20140301_003_zps9ae89e68.jpg

Close shop if old

Edit:
You need to sign-up for the xbox rewards program which automatically denies access to everyone who has imported a Xbox One or uses an XBL account that isn't from any of the eligible countries.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I can't tell if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

What sucks is that these are all old titles, but I guess that this might get people to buy into 2 season passes at once now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Honestly, a piss poor sale at a minimum and insulting scam at the extreme. Take your pick.
How does it remotely classify with either of those as it's not a sale and more of an incentive? I don't even know what is possibly scam-like about this at all.

Gorillaz

Can't tell if this is a good deal or not......

just got out of work so not really in the mood to work that out/lazy

Ape

Banned
Terrible incentive unless you are already going to buy the season passes. Then you have five bucks in your pocket for something you were going to do anyways. Still.

How does it remotely classify with either of those as it's not a sale and more of an incentive? I don't even know what is possibly scam-like about this at all.

Incentive, a sale - nets you the same result.

Scam? (almost) Every season pass in existence has been a terrible value for money and they are putting an "incentive" on making people buy $50 worth of "scams".

It's just alternative semantics.

Either way it's shit.

EBE

Somebody do the math, I want to know if this is good or not.

spend $50

get $20 reward
- $5 (continued ad support)
- $5 (cloud server upkeep)
- $5 (just because)
you keep $5

terrible deal. which is strange because there have been better rewards punchcards in the past that ive personally made use of. truly baffling.

Caayn

I own maybe half of the eligible season passes but none of them counted until the promotion started.
Same here. Not that the incentive is worth it anyways. And even if I wanted to use this sale I couldn't as I live in a country that's not supported by the xbox rewards program.

Alex

The only time I have ever bought any season passes was on PC after they plummeted in price halfway through the "season". Five dollars seems like a really poor incentive for things so terribly overpriced and a lot of which fairly old.

big_z

I wish Microsoft still used points and simply adjusted their value in line with money. Buying those cards for 50-60% off saved me a ton but now deals like that are long gone and we get offers like this instead.

Xbox Rewards is terrible. The whole program is a disaster. It's too confusing and stingy.

The Xbox marketing team could really learn from the Bing Rewards team. That Bing Rewards program is straightforward, generous, and actually works at getting me to use the search engine every day.

I spent a good 20 minutes the other day just trying to understand this Xbox Rewards program, figure out what content qualifies, and learn what the hell the conversion rate was for Xbox Reward points into actual money. Eventually had to get the answers from some Xbox message board. If there was a clear incentive for renting movies, watching ads, participating in live TV events, live TV surveys, buying games and add-ons, etc. this Xbox Rewards program would be worthwhile.

The one positive thing I will say about Xbox Rewards is that you earn points faster by having a higher Gamer Score. Anything that makes Gamer Score have more tangible benefit to consumers is a positive thing in my opinion.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Scam? (almost) Every season pass in existence has been a terrible value for money and they are putting an "incentive" on making people buy $50 worth of "scams".

Either way it's shit.
Incentives and sales do not net you the same result as the former gives you credit to apply to future purchases that is held within their restrictive ecosystem, not your pocket like a sale.

Your scam argument seems to be with the season passes rather than the MS practice and particularly persecutory because you are painting a picture regardless of what the content is, so that's pretty poor as well. Season passes are not inherently scams if you have any understanding of why they exist in the first place and the technical and economic foundations of DLC.

Spend nearly the full retail value of a game for games you've already bought, and you'll get back less than 10% of the price of a retail game!

Gestault

Either way it's shit.

This is basically getting ten-percent back on season passes whenever you cross $50 worth. Calling that a scam is a strange response. Assuming people think those are worth buying for a game they like anyway (which they do), this is no more a "scam" than getting gift-cards at Target when you buy certain games.

Mrbob

The only time I have ever bought any season passes was on PC after they plummeted in price halfway through the "season". Five dollars seems like a really poor incentive for things so terribly overpriced and a lot of which fairly old.

The Bioshock Infinite season pass discount was the best. Got it for 5 dollars before the second episode is even out.

5 dollars back for spending 50, no thanks MS. You guys have a long way to go to compete with PC.

Slashlen

This is basically getting ten-percent back on season passes whenever you cross $50 worth. Calling that a scam is a strange response. Assuming people think those are worth buying for a game they like anyway (which they do), this is no more a "scam" than getting gift-cards at Target when you buy certain games.

"Scam" gets thrown around a lot where it's technically not correct. Scam implies deceit. This is a ripoff.

Xbox Rewards is terrible. The whole program is a disaster. It's too confusing and stingy.

The Xbox marketing team could really learn from the Bing Rewards team. That Bing Rewards program is straightforward, generous, and actually works at getting me to use the search engine every day.

I spent a good 20 minutes the other day just trying to understand this Xbox Rewards program, figure out what content qualifies, and learn what the hell the conversion rate was for Xbox Reward points into actual money. Eventually had to get the answers from some Xbox message board. If there was a clear incentive for renting movies, watching ads, participating in live TV events, live TV surveys, buying games and add-ons, etc. this Xbox Rewards program would be worthwhile.

The one positive thing I will say about Xbox Rewards is that you earn points faster by having a higher Gamer Score. Anything that makes Gamer Score have more tangible benefit to consumers is a positive thing in my opinion.

Bing Rewards has a really bad flaw, though: It's only available in the US.

Technically, Live Rewards is too, but at least they allow you to sign from another country if your gamertag id from the US marketplace

Gestault

"Scam" gets thrown around a lot where it's technically not correct. Scam implies deceit. This is a ripoff.

By the same token then, Target gave a $5 gift card with the purchase of the $60 Lego Movie Game. Numerically that's a worse deal. So is that a rip-off?

idlewild_

This particular incentive ends on 3/9. A lot of those games are pretty old and their season passes are pretty over-priced for what they offer. I wouldn't call it a scam, but looking at the list of games that qualify I would struggle to find $50 worth of season passes that I could justify.

Einbroch

Banned
$5 for $50 is low, but free money is free money.

The issue that I have is strictly with season passes. I don't want people to see this deal, buy some season passes, then get angry when it doesn't turn out like they thought it would.

Season passes may be a scam (if you want to go that far), but this deal? It's not a scam/ripoff/whatever.

JoRo

Or, better yet, just wait for them to go on sale and save your money. I would say I'm surprised they don't at least offer a $10 reward, but this is Microsoft we're talking about here.

Gestault

This particular incentive ends on 3/9. A lot of those games are pretty old and their season passes are pretty over-priced for what they offer. I wouldn't call it a scam, but looking at the list of games that qualify I would struggle to find $50 worth of season passes that I could justify.

...then don't buy any? That doesn't negate that this is getting credit that normally, and on any other gaming marketplace, the buyer wouldn't be getting.

Montresor

I like how it's $50 right on. Buy a $49.99 season pass: get nothing.

Can anyone confirm?

So if I bought the Ryse season pass ($20) and Assassin's Creed 3 season pass ($30) I wouldn't be eligible because they're technically $19.99 and $29.99 and add up to less than $50?

That sounds ludicrously unrealistic. Why would you assume that would happen?

Zephyx

By the same token then, Target gave a $5 gift card with the purchase of the $60 Lego Movie Game. Numerically that's a worse deal. So is that a rip-off?

You have to consider that in order to use the season pass, you have to buy the game first. Technically, you have to spend a lot more just to get that $5 back. I don't find any value in this deal unless you own most of the qualified games and you're second guessing yourself on season passes for those games.

Top Bottom