• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Firestorm

For those new to this, we share deals and promos on video games in this thread. However, we do sometimes stray off that topic and into other issues that might affect us all -- most commonly internet and wireless deals. Sometimes pillows and McDonalds deals. In any case, it's a pretty casual thread and we're all just here to save some money! You'll see some of the more common promos that we recommend taking advantage of in the first post. Since last thread, we've seen the death of tsilon and the dollar tank in value resulting in higher game prices so things are looking grim. Hopefully E3 proves to be as fruitful as previous years.

YvEoj.png

TIVs.ca - neksus' site crowdsources trade-in values at our many stores that accept trade-ins
Flip - Apparently an official trade-in value calculator for Future Shop and Best Buy
RedFlagDeals - The largest Canadian deals website.
CheapAssGamer - The Canadian sub-forum of the largest video game deals forum.
GameDealsCanada Twitter Feed - No_Style puts pretty much everything in this thread into a Twitter feed for you to follow
GameDealsCanada Facebook Page - If you'd rather follow on Facebook, you can Like No_Stye's page
GamesForCanada - See "purchasing us only items" below​

lMWYa.png

WOdTD.png

The (Un)Official Canada-GAF Approved method is GamesForCanada. goomba478 of CheapAssGamer runs this website which will help you get just about anything - not just games - from the US to Canada. You use the form on his site to tell him what you want, and he orders it for you then ships it to Canada for a small fee. We have all had great experiences with GFC. He also has a forum.

hrjeV.png

Shoppers Drug Mart
Another store you wouldn't think sells games but does. The deals to be had are using their Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Program. You can earn and redeem Optimum points for almost everything, which includes games, systems, and accessories, but not pre-paid cards. Normally you only earn 10 points per dollar spent (not including taxes). There are redemption levels that run from 8000 points for $10 to 95000 points for $170 of merchandise (you still have to pay the taxes).

20x Events
You need to make a purchase of $50 before tax, but you earn 200 points per dollar.

18500 (or 15000) Bonus Point Events
You need to make a purchase of $75 before tax, but you earn your regular 10 points per dollar plus the bonus points.

Bonus Redemption Events
Generally these events are 50000 points for $100 or 95000 points for $200 of merchandise.

Super Redemption Events
These have redemptions such as 40000 points for $90, 50000 for $125, 80000 for $200, or 95000 for $250 of merchandise.​

Future Shop & Best Buy
Trade-In Deals
These are the three most common trade-in deals at Future Shop and Best Buy:
  • Trade 1 for $40
  • Trade 2 for $60
  • Trade 2 for New Release
Depending on the week, they'll let you trade in two games on their list for usually a $60 gift card or a new release game. Sometimes they let you do one game for $40. When that happens, it's usually a good idea to jump on it!​

E3 is the new Boxing Day
During E3, both Future Shop and Best Buy usually have pre-order deals on all the games announced at the show. You aren't charged until they ship and can cancel at any time so it's a good idea to pre-order! These range from 10 or 20% off to $20 off each title. Check this thread at E3!

Future Shop
33% off all games when you pre-order 3 games during E3: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/pre-order-games.aspx

Best Buy
4800 Reward Zone Points ($60) when you pre-order 3 games during E3: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/pre-order-hot-games/pcgamingpreorders.aspx

Thank you to iphys for the Shoppers Drug Mart section.

jholmes

I lurked constantly in the previous thread and got great deals on the backs of all of your hard work. I'll try to post in this one.

Firestorm

Wow. Times have changed since I used to have 4x the posts of #2! I might need to pass the torch on for the next thread and leave it up to someone else to make.

Firestorm

Credit for title goes to Lone Prodigy!
I don't think there's been a good deal on anything anywhere in Canada in like a year or more.
The WiiU price crashes were pretty decent right before Christmas. $189+tax for Wind Waker bundle! The past few years I've just been waiting E3 to E3...

IllumiNate

Looking forward to another great thread of gaming deals. Ah who am I kidding, Pillows, Shipping woes, and Cellular providers GoGoGo

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The WiiU price crashes were pretty decent right before Christmas. $189+tax for Wind Waker bundle! The past few years I've just been waiting E3 to E3...

Oh, I pulled the shoppers chocolate scam in fall 2012 and got a Wii U christmas 2012 for what amounted to about $170 including $100+ worth of chocolate or $70 if you didn't count the chocolate which I didn't because I ate the chocolate. Now THAT was a deal.

I don't think there's been a good deal on anything anywhere in Canada in like a year or more.

E3 deals are amazing. The games that get announced on E3 are available for preorder right away for $45.

I preordered everything from Infamous to Mirrors Edge 2 to StarWars Battlefront and more.

Secured my gaming for the next year!

I'm not sure if it's been touched on yet, but Best Buy no longer does Reward Zone points for pre-ordering games. Just saying to save people some hassle. Source: I work there.

-Deimos

E3 deals are amazing. The games that get announced on E3 are available for preorder right away for $45.

I preordered everything from Infamous to Mirrors Edge 2 to StarWars Battlefront and more.

Secured my gaming for the next year!

Battlefront was available for preorder!?

Sorry to break it to you guys but Infamous SS is already out of stock at shop.ca, only place still taking preorders at $59.99 is VGP!
Happy new thread :D

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The only thing this $70 fiasco convinced me to do was build a PC.

Best decision ever.

Luigi87

I am honestly shocked that Zeer0id got beaten out of the most posts spot.

I however failed to even hit 100... I need to work harder this time!

Anywho, great OT. Looking forward to deals at what used to be regular price!

Best decision ever.

One of those times I wish I could up-vote on GAF.

Best decision ever.

I respect that but you basically paid more than you're saving if you were comfortable with console gaming! even $10 price hike won't convince me to pay like $1000 for a gaming PC

Keyouta

I haven't paid over $40 for a new game in a long time thanks to Futureshop's deals around E3, since I pre-order them all then, or during steam sales. At 33% off with game prices at around $70 now, it'd be about $46 now. Lame.

I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm impressed by how quickly we blew through the last OT. There were some great deals, like the FS trade anything for COD Ghosts / ACIV / BF4 clusterfuck.

Sadly I think this OT is going to be slower :(

Returners

If only MLB 14 was available for preorder too during last e3, now I have to hope that they do the console version+vita bundle.

Even then it's going to be redongculous.

krae_man

Just missed the top 10 for the wall of shame. I'll try harder this time.

Firestorm, you can probably remove the Tsilon thead from the OP. That site is deader then $60 new releases.

Glad I got in on Infamous, Watchdogs and The Division for $40 each when I did.

It's bullshit that they raised the price already when last time our dollar was 60 some odd cents when they tried this shit.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I respect that but you basically paid more than you're saving if you were comfortable with console gaming! even $10 price hike won't convince me to pay like $1000 for a gaming PC

I needed a new computer anyways. Instead of paying $400 for a PS4 wit hacked up resolutions and choppy framerates, why not spend $400 on a GTX770 instead.

Sora_N

Yep!! :)

Also: The Division, Witcher 3, MGSV, Watch Dogs, Mad Max, The Order 1886 and many many more!

I wish I preordered Witcher 3 and MGSV on PS4, but then again I really didn't expect to win one from a contest this year so can't win them all.

Anyone know what my success rate is if I try to switch my MGSV preorder from PS3 to PS4? lol

Maddog

Yay new thread. First post needs a reference to Shop.ca and their regular promo codes (I think retailmenot is still working for $10 off).

FrsDvl

Only at Target. $99 for a Vita or $120 for a PS3 Uncharted 3 Bundle are pretty good deals imo. Although RFD snatches all those deals before anyone else.

Top Bottom