• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your list of must play PSP and PSOne games...

Slixshot

Banned
In light of the recent news from the other thread, I thought this thread should be created.

What's your list of must play PSP and PSOne games that are available on PSN? Now that they all work on Vita, I might as well look into the gems that I missed, and I'm sure others here would like to do the same.

Post your list and, if you'd like, post why you think they deserve some love.

Now, I know very little about both of these systems (which is why I'm asking) but I will throw Persona 3 Portable as my personal recommendation. This series had quickly become my favorite. *hard stop* it really deserves your attention if you haven't given it a try. P3P hasn't really caught me as much as Golden did but it's still enjoyable and I'm just getting started. Definitely give it a shot if you enjoyed 4!

Yawnier

Banned
Crash series
Spyro series
MGS1
Klonoa
Tomba!
Boatload of JRPGS

Never really explored the PSP's library much so I can't say much on that.

illusionary

I've got Alundra in my backlog to get to at some point (very Zelda-like, I gather). Aside from that Final Fantasy VII and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night stand out as obvious inclusions,

WilyRook

I'll submit, for PSOne: Alundra, Vagrant Story, and Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (would the load times be even shorter on the Vita for that one?)

PS One: Silent Hill, the first 3 Resident Evils, Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX, Crash Bandicoot

PSP: Disgaea, Corpse Party, Ys

Ceadeus

Just bought ratchet size matters on psp go . Excellent title. Castlevania Dracula x. God eater... I mean, there is like 100 must hâve and more. Just browse and try stuff

Sylver

Banned
PSOne: MGS, Resident Evil series, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania SoN, Mickey Wild Adventure, R-Type (IUS) and R-Type Delta (US), Parasite Eve, Silent Hill

PSP: Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Darkstalkers, Megaman Maverick Hunter X, Capcom Classic Collection Remixed, Capcom Classic Collection Reloaded, God of War games, Everybody's Tennis, Ultimate Ghosts'n Goblins (US), Castlevanis Dracula X Chronicles (US), Gran Turismo, Metal Gear games, Dissidia Final Fantasy games, Metal Slug games, 3rd birthday.

Jb

Tactics Ogre is a must play for anyone even remotely interested in SRPGs and looks and plays great on Vita.
Peace Walker is a really well designed handeld game as long as you don't expect a traditional MGS and don't mind its bite-sized structure.

What's that like? Turn based or action? How does it hold up? Is it a classic 100 hour SE rpg?

It's turn-based but actions can happen simultaneously and can be interrupted. It's one of the best battle systems ever.

It holds up really well today - the graphics use a mix of 2D & 3D (like Xenogears but better) so it hasn't aged as poorly as most PS1 RPGs and the music is awesome (it's from Noriyuki Iwadare who also did the Lunar series soundtracks).

It's plenty long. Howlongtobeat has it listed at 40-60 hours which sounds about right to me.

All in all, it's a true classic. However, be warned that the voice acting is pretty bad.

Here's a link to a gameplay video that should give you a good idea of the game - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX48dlJ0nRM - this is just an early dungeon in the game so it doesn't have much in the way of spoilers (only 2 characters in the video, but you eventually get a 4 person party).

Moofers

Duuude. I can't resist a thread like this. Ok here goes:

Guilty Gear Judgement - Its $5.99 and if you liked Dragon's Crown/Final Fight, its a beat-em-up like that where you can do all the special moves from the fighting game. Awesome metal-ass soundtrack too!

Brave Story: New Traveler - A really fun JRPG with a battle system that is kind of shallow, but has killer teamup moves! I really enjoyed the characters and story in this one.

PowerStone Collection - enough said!

Motorstorm Arctic Edge - The 2nd best Motorstorm game! (Pacific Rift being best)

Soul Calibur / Tekken 6 - Namco's best games, in handheld form and looking glorious as well.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 - Pretty legendary game that is a ton of fun despite the dumb animu setting and writing.

Tomb Raider Anniversary - Seriously, this is amazing! Its such a great remake of the original Tomb Raider game. They pretty much nailed it.

Jeanne D'Arc - Great turn/grid-based strategy RPG. Since Vandal Hearts isn't on PSN, this is a better substitute!

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X - Very colorful and brilliant update to the SNES classic. This is the best MegaMan game ever made, IMO.

I'm sure this thread will be full of tons more, but these were the ones that immediately came to mind for me. I have quite a few more, but I think most of them will definitely be mentioned many times over.

Brave Story: New Traveler - A really fun JRPG with a battle system that is kind of shallow, but has killer teamup moves! I really enjoyed the characters and story in this one.

Note, Brave Story was delisted a while ago (license expired) so unless you bought the game before that, you're out of luck in getting it on the Vita.

Moofers

Note, Brave Story was delisted a while ago (license expired) so unless you bought the game before that, you're out of luck in getting it on the Vita.

Aw that's crappy. I had no idea. I always figured these licensing issues were mostly problems for Marvel/DC/obvious games. Can't think of why this wouldn't still be up bringing in money. That really sucks.

Aw that's crappy. I had no idea. I always figured these licensing issues were mostly problems for Marvel/DC/obvious games. Can't think of why this wouldn't still be up bringing in money. That really sucks.

The Brave Story game is actually a licensed game - Brave Story is a rather popular Japanese novel. The game is a side story, although it has cameos from characters from the book. I'm guessing there was some sort of conflict with the original author or her estate and that's why it got pulled. Either that or the original contract was timed and for whatever reason, wasn't renewed.

The novel actually got translated by Alexander Smith a few years ago. Good book; highly recommended.

PSP:

MotorStorm Arctic Edge

Gran Turismo

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Gurumin

God of War: Chains of Olympus + Ghost of Sparta

Metal Gear Solid Peace-walker

Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars

------
Hoping to hear impressions:
------

Obscure: The Aftermath

Silent Hill Origins + Shattered Memories

Ghostbusters

Dante's Inferno

I picked up the Crash games on the 99 cent sale and they look wonderful on Vita. Also got Gun on psp, western gaming in my finger tips! YESSS!!!

vocab

There's too many ps1 games to list

My psp recommendations
Persona 1,2,3
Ys 7, and oath in felgana.
Castlevania Dracula X chronicles.

Hoping to hear impressions:
------

Obscure: The Aftermath

Silent Hill Origins + Shattered Memories

Haven't played the PSP version, but Obscure in general is a pretty average survival horror game.

Silent Hill Origins felt too derivative to me but it has some fans. Shattered Memories is good (and plays nothing like any of the other SH games) but the PSP version definitely looks a lot worse than the Wii version.

maltrain

PS One here:

* Suikoden II (Believe!!!)
* Parasite Eve !!!!!
* Vagrant Story !!!!!
* Silent Hill
* Resident Evil (1, 2 & 3)
* Crash Bandicoot (1, 2 & 3)
* Crash Team Racing
* Metal Gear Solid
* Final Fantasy (7, 8 & 9)
* Legend of the Dragoon
* Chrono Trigger
* Suikoden
* Medievil

That's for starting... XD

Haven't played the PSP version, but Obscure in general is a pretty average survival horror game.

Silent Hill Origins felt too derivative to me but it has some fans. Shattered Memories is good (and plays nothing like any of the other SH games) but the PSP version definitely looks a lot worse than the Wii version.

Thanks for the impressions ^_^

I've never actually played a Silent Hill game, maybe I should get the PS1 game instead?

Always been a RE nut and have played everyone of those ^_~

Top Bottom