• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars is getting brand new Expanded Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VUm0Lo6DL-E

- Entire old SWEU [both pre and post EP 1-6] will get name "Legacy", new content will continue to come out
- New SWEU will be controlled more carefully, with team of people managing that all new stories are aligned with other content [and more importantly new films].
- New SWEU starts with TV show Rebels and its accompanying material [books].
- No news in which universe new EA games will be set [probably new one]

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

Halcyon

The Stackpole X-Wing books and a handful of the stuff Zahn did are the only things that I ever truly enjoyed.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The Stackpole X-Wing books and a handful of the stuff Zahn did are the only things that I ever truly enjoyed.

Techncially stuff from KOTOR. the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games, the Jedi Knight games with Kyle Katarn, etc all count as well for the old EU you know.

Guy.brush

il_340x270.482473994_5tmr.jpg

They should do it right and just go through each book of the EU with the newspeak dictionary at hand. If they have a canon group why not go full out Ministry Of Truth?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The thrawn trilogy will always be true EU. You can't take it away from me.

Halcyon

I feel like Zahn was nearly the only writer who "got" SW. you can practically see the actors faces when they spoke his dialog

Yeaa I love most of that stuff. I think there's a few based on mara that I haven't read but I loved the Thrawn stuff.

I'm partial to stackpole just because I love Corran Horn(my username is not a coincidence)

Sulik2

Cool this means we could still get a sequel to Kotor II.
I know it will never happen, but I can dream.

How does one write for the Star Wars EU? Do I have to submit an application? Where do I submit a request?
Is there a test? Do I have to be a published author of at least 1 work?

Real Hero

How does one write for the Star Wars EU? Do I have to submit an application? Where do I submit a request?
Is there a test? Do I have to be a published author of at least 1 work?
do you own a personal computer with access to Microsoft word and a t shirt that says han shot first?

Munin

Are they doing this? Have they decided to just, burn down the last 20 years of extended universe to build a new one? Genuinely interested, I think, from a sales prospect, it's fascinating if they decide to do that.

It sounds like they will pick and choose but specifically it seems like anything in the immediate timeline after ROTJ is basically going into the bin.

If this means that Yuuzhan Vong and the other trash is thrown out, I'm fine with that. I'd like to see them select some of the good (basically only Zahn's stuff) books and make them a part of this new EU, but otherwise I think it's a good idea to reset it since it got way out of control in the last 15 years. The early stuff is still pretty good and I really like the books that focused on filling in the backstories of side characters more than anything else, so hopefully that's what we get.

Yoda

Well most of the stuff after the original trilogy was shit, but if JJ Ahbrams is at the forefront of this "new EU" my expectations are just as low as they are for the movies.

do you own a personal computer with access to Microsoft word and a t shirt that says han shot first?

I can BUY a T-Shirt that says Han Shot First!

But seriously, how does someone get involved in this? I also see this with Cthullu mythos where different writers have contributed to the same universe, I assume they have an agreement with the publisher/estate that owns Lovecraft's work?

Miletius

Cool this means we could still get a sequel to Kotor II.
I know it will never happen, but I can dream.

But how can you get a sequel to that which might or might not exist
according to canon.

Does this mean that TOR is going to get slapped with a "legends" banner sometime in the near future?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
All those man hours, all those hundreds of books, comics, shows - all of it is worth nothing.

Are they going to come to your house and wipe your memory, Men in Black-style?

What does it matter if the films go in a different direction, if you don't want to follow the new stories you don't have to.

I can BUY a T-Shirt that says Han Shot First!

But seriously, how does someone get involved in this? I also see this with Cthullu mythos where different writers have contributed to the same universe, I assume they have an agreement with the publisher/estate that owns Lovecraft's work?

I would think whoever owns the publishing rights would either contract a writer they've collaborated with before or something they felt had the necessary talent and experience.

That or make the right connections.

Honestly this is for the best. Anything with the Star Wars name should feel incredibly epic and cinematic, and most of the EU...doesn't.

I would think whoever owns the publishing rights would either contract a writer they've collaborated with before or something they felt had the necessary talent and experience.

That or make the right connections.

That actually makes a ton of sense. They have a set of writers who have contributed decently selling works before, they have the rights to publish STAR WARS stories, so they contract these writers for a couple of books. Thanks

GPsych

This is a good thing IMO. The post-RotJ stuff is just abysmally bad. Didn't they kill off Chewie in some novel? That's completely ridiculous. Even Darth Vader acknowledges that Chewie is invincible in Empire Strikes Back.

I mean, remember that part when Chewie is tossing stormtroopers left and right to save Han and Vader stops Boba from blasting him? Clearly Vader was all, "What do you think you're doing Boba? That won't kill the wookie! He'll easily shrug off the blast and come after us next! Think!"

Yeah, fuck the expanded universe.

This quote from Kennedy really reminded me of Shadows of the Empire, which I thought was a great idea and a lot of fun to experience parts of the same story across so many different mediums.

We're set to bring Star Wars back to the big screen, and continue the adventure through games, books, comics, and new formats that are just emerging. This future of interconnected storytelling will allow fans to explore this galaxy in deeper ways than ever before.

Cagey

Banned
Wait, do people not like Wraith Squadron? Wraith Squadron was the best!

I liked the concept, but I don't like the author.

EDIT: though from my memory, the lowest point of the nine books was Stackpole's doing -- that cringeworthy psuedo-sexual scene with Isard and Horn in some intergalactic Nautilus machine gym, where he's describing them chatting while using leg curl machines.

First off, WTF. Second off, Nautilus machines? Do people in Star Wars even lift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom