• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo, please make the Gamepad work as a Classic Controller in Wii Mode

Unai

I think Nintendo is missing an oportunity by not making the Gamepad work as a Classic Controller in Wii Mode.

I believe most people in 2014 only have HD+ screens in their houses, so the 480p screen on the gamepad just seems like the perfect fit to play wii games. I have a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles lying around and the Treehouse video of X made me want to finally play this game, but it would be so much better if I could use the gamepad to control it like it was a classic controller. As of now, I still have to use a second controller and it just doesn't feel right.

I'm aware there are technical difficulties in doing so, since the Wii U becames a Wii when running in wii mode, but I believe the minds at Nintendo could come up with a way of getting the inputs from the controller, even if they had to update the Wii OS.

This probably wouldn't move millions of units, but they are looking for ways to improve the appeal of the gamepad, and this is something that could improve it, even if just a bit, and would be huge for someone like me who still has a wii backlog.

What about you, guys. What do you think?

Well, for what it's worth it, I just posted this thread at miiverse too. It would be good if some of you guys could provide feedback there as well.

MilesTeg

Banned
Really should happen. Would be an amazing feature.

Of course, that would make Nintendo's Wii U VC upgrade fee rather laughable, no? That is probably why they don't do it. Also something something peripheral sales.

Unai

Of course, that would make Nintendo's Wii U VC upgrade fee rather laughable, no? That is probably why they don't do it. Also something something peripheral sales.

Yes, I though about it. But it's not like Nintendo is putting tons of games on the Wii U VC either.

stuminus3

Banned
I'm convinced the reason they haven't done this is to add value to the "upgrade" cost when VC games get released on the Wii U store. No technical explanation for it ever makes any sense to me.

Razlo

I'd love to be able to play Wii games on the Gamepad. I want to go back to some games I haven't beat, but don't always want to use the TV.

Unai

I want to post this on Miiverse. What community would it fit better? Maybe the Mario Kart 8 since it was the last big first party title. Or maybe the general Zelda community.

popyea

Yeah, it would certainly get a lot of use out of me. How do Wii Remotes connect to the wii? Wondering if the gamepad is wireless in a completely different way, or if it's possible for the gamepad to connect and function similarly.

JB2448

Honestly, I'd be okay with just the Wii U Pro Controller acting like a Classic Controller in Wii Mode. I hate having to plug my Classic Controller into my Wii Remote just to play N64 games on my system.

T-0800

No. Wii U VC titles have Miiverse etc.

MilesTeg

Banned
Yes, I though about it. But it's not like Nintendo is putting tons of games on the Wii U VC either.

It's not just the upgrade fee. Nintendo doesn't ship Wii U with a Wii Remote (or at least they didn't before MK8 bundle). Therefore if you want to play Wii retail games, you need a Wii Remote. Nintendo probably saw this as a chance to sell even more of the damn things, when in reality the market for Wii Remote is so saturated that it just ends up being a completely anti-consumer type of situation.

Dryk

I'm convinced the reason they haven't done this is to add value to the "upgrade" cost when VC games get released on the Wii U store. No technical explanation for it ever makes any sense to me.
But they get no upgrade money from me and lots of other people because we haven't done the transfer. Most of the VC games I have aren't on the Wii U virtual console and the only classic controller I own has no sticks so I wouldn't be able to play them if I transfered.

Unai

Yeah, it would certainly get a lot of use out of me. How do Wii Remotes connect to the wii? Wondering if the gamepad is wireless in a completely different way, or if it's possible for the gamepad to connect and function similarly.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the video in the gamepad uses a proprietary protocol, but the inputs use plain old bluetooth.

danielcw

but I believe the minds at Nintendo could come up with a way of getting the inputs from the controller, even if they had to update the Wii OS.

Here is your problem.
The Wii's OS does not handle inputs from controllers.
Every game does it itself, handling the bluetooth connection, data from controller etc, themselves.
(I am not sure, if the Wii's OS is involved with Gamecube controllers)

co1onel

It doesn't make any sense to me that this isn't already an option. It's incredibly backwards to use a seperate controller for a tablet with buttons right there on it.

Shinta

Banned
This is my number 1 most intensely wanted thing ever at this point pretty much in terms of gaming features. This would be fully amazing. I want to play The Last Story and Xenoblade, and Lost in Shadow, and about 30 other games on the gamepad.

tronic307

Classic Controller Pro was discontinued in April, so they'll probably have to make the Pro Controller work as a CC. GamePad support would likely follow soon thereafter.

Unai

Here is your problem.
The Wii's OS does not handle inputs from controllers.
Every game does it itself, handling the bluetooth connection, data from controller etc, themselves.
(I am not sure, if the Wii's OS is involved with Gamecube controllers)

According to
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-secrets-of-the-wii-u-gamepad
it uses Wi-Fi for the inputs, the same connection that also handles audio and video

Yep, this seems like the problem.

This is my number 1 most intensely wanted thing ever at this point pretty much in terms of gaming features. This would be fully amazing. I want to play The Last Story and Xenoblade, and Lost in Shadow, and about 30 other games on the gamepad.

Mine too. I want this more than a proper account system.

Seik

Banned
I agree wholeheartedly with you, OP.

Such a feature would crucially raise my interest towards Wii VC, because right now I'm riding the dolphin.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
What I need before Wii U controller support in Wii Mode... are fucking FOLDERS!

3DS has had them for a couple YEARS now Nintendo. Get on it!

1. Gamepad usage in wii mode. If this can be done, make it seemless to launch wii titles from an icon in Wii U mode, no longer requiring wii remote usage.
2. System wide voice chat/party chat at an OS level (even if with friends only).
3. Folders or some way of organizing games.
4. Preloading.
5. Wii mode: enable "unlimited" storage space (blocks) so we don't have to use sd cards.
6. Get rid of wara wara plaza. It just slows the OS down. Just give me my game tiles/icons. At the very least, merge wara wara plaza with miiverse in some way.

I agree 100% OP. I'm playing through Xenoblade Chronicles for the same reason, and it would be so much nicer with the gamepad or even the Wii U Pro Controller (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it works as a Wii controller either).

I could do without the gamepad screen even, although that would be nice too, as long as the controls worked. I've been using the classic controller and it just feels so light and generic (for lack of a better word).

Unai

I agree 100% OP. I'm playing through Xenoblade Chronicles for the same reason, and it would be so much nicer with the gamepad or even the Wii U Pro Controller (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it works as a Wii controller either).

I could do without the gamepad screen even, although that would be nice too, as long as the controls worked. I've been using the classic controller and it just feels so light and generic (for lack of a better word).

You're right. It doesn't support the Wii U Pro Controller either, and it does use bluetooth.

Shaanyboi

Banned
yeah, it's real crazy that this isn't possible. I can understand there are hurdles, but this feels like such a crazy oversight. I don't expect them to somehow remap regular wii remote controls, but classic controller options should be allowed. Hell, when you go into Wii mode, set an option or something that says "gamepad default to 'classic controller' when a game allows for it" or something. Give us the switches and we'll figure out the rest.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Does the Gamepad even have Bluetooth built in?

If not, how would Wii mode even see the thing?

MilesTeg

Banned
yeah, it's real crazy that this isn't possible. I can understand there are hurdles, but this feels like such a crazy oversight. I don't expect them to somehow remap regular wii remote controls, but classic controller options should be allowed. Hell, when you go into Wii mode, set an option or something that says "gamepad default to 'classic controller' when a game allows for it" or something. Give us the switches and we'll figure out the rest.

The best part is how if you press a button on the Gamepad while displaying a Wii game on the Gamepad screen it says something like "You cannot use the Gamepad in Wii Mode". Thanks.

Unai

The best part is how if you press a button on the Gamepad while displaying a Wii game on the Gamepad screen it says something like "You cannot use the Gamepad in Wii Mode". Thanks.
Is this only displayed on the gamepad or on the tv as well?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
My most wanted feature as well, but I feel like Nintendo's engineers were either too lazy or too incompetent by sandboxing the Wii mode the way they did. Leaning towards the latter due to how clunky the UI was at launch. Unless they made the decision soley due to cost/time constraints, I feel like implementing gamepad support for Wii mode would be either too difficult or not worth the time for them right now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It would be amazing, but it feels like each individual game would need to have support patched in.

Not saying I wouldn't be 100% for it. I'm just saying I understand that there are MAJOR hurdles.

and vice-versa. cc and pro controller should be interchangeable in Wii U games, also. if you're going to have 3 controller options, make them accessible in all first party games for consistency. you should be able to play WWHD with a cc pro. no excuse.

I've heard it batted around that it isn't possible due to the gamepad using a different kind of connection than the bluetooth that Wiimotes use, but if homebrewers can figure out how to use classic controllers for gamecube games on the Wii/U, I think Nintendo can figure out how to use the gamepad for Wii games.

I think Nintendo is missing an oportunity by not making the Gamepad work as a Classic Controller in Wii Mode.

I don't think it'd be worth the effort to try to figure out how to trick the Wii OS/games to recognize a controller that doesn't connect via bluetooth. You're much better off asking them to patch Pro Controller support. They can support Off-TV because it has dedicated silicon, but the lack of GamePad support is the same problem as the lack of DualShock 4 support for (many) PS3 games.

Top Bottom