• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

Jibbed

Edit: It seems with the help of GAF and Reddit, I've single-handedly brought down Guru3D. Sorry.
Edit 2: Alternate download link - 'TheWorseMod 0.8'.
Edit 3: Another Guru3D user - 'Kadzait24' - released a similar modification first, but then proceeded to be an asshole about the whole thing and ended up getting his thread locked. TheWorse came up with his mod (seemingly independent from Kadzait24's work) which enabled a hell of a lot more graphical features, and he's been a gentlemen to anyone enquiring in his respective thread since he posted it.
TL;DR: TheWorse did a better job, Kadzait24's butthurt and now doing the best he can to troll everyone involved.
Edit 4: Wait! There's more! See below quote.

Oh there's more as well. Not only did they put in graphics settings just for E3 and then forget to delete them from the final game, there are also animations:

4dbff9f11b356893aed1c4f5f9ccd139.png

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390244

Thats the "hands up" animation from aiden before he does the blackout.

This is a joke that keeps on giving.

But its great for us because it means we will be able to actually play the game as it was originally shown. Great work by TheWorse and all the other guys who are digging into this. This is a more significant breakthrough than the graphics settings IMO as it means there will be huge modding potential for the game now provided Ubi doesn't stop it happening with their next patch. But there are always ways around these things as there was with GTA IV

To quote CyberPunked from the PC performance thread...

CyberPunked said:
The Worse, creator of the mod on Guru3d: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390114

Has made massive discoveries/improvements. He has discovered that almost all of the shaders and improvements seen in 2012 and 2013 are still in the game files, such as the e3 2012 explosions. For now he has managed to implement dynamic shadows from headlights, the increased rain density, increased NPC density, as well as 2012 e3 bloom and lens flare.
When he manages to unpack certain files, he will be able to activate everything, such as POMs, etc.

Enter '1' to enable super-secret E3 mode.

Included in the mod (v0.6... not all available yet!):
-Changes to the default fog values
-Enabled bokeh DOF for the main cameras
-Stuttering Improvements
-E3 2012 Bloom
-Performance Improvements
-Enabled Headlight Shadows
-LoD Changes
-Reflection changes
-Added 3 new cameras to the game(closer, normal, further)
-Rain changes(High quality rain drops, properly reacting to light, etc)
-LensFlares(WIP)
-Lighting changes(TESTING AND WIP)
-Civilians density changes

And many more things.. SOON.

Oh Ubi.

Downgrade if old.

Now let's give him Dark Souls II and see if he can find those too.

Anyway, wow. Why would all that be left in there just to sit? Lead platform my ass.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
On Giant Bomb they said this already ran like ass on even a good PC, won't this bring even a mighty rig to its knees?

Corpekata

Banned
Tried it, didn't have as much of a hit as I expected. The DoF is rather hard to take though for me so I've removed it until we get the update allowing selection of effects.

Jibbed

On Giant Bomb they said this already ran like ass on even a good PC, won't this bring even a mighty rig to its knees?

Apparently there's a fix for the stuttering issues in there somewhere as well lol.

Why would these things be in the game files?

Could be completely wrong, but I'm guessing they were turned off/not used to keep performance and visuals consistent across the board between platforms.

In other words, the PC version was gimped.

Kayant

Ohhhh so the question is why did they disable it? Low percentage of PC's being able to run it? It just seems odd especially given almost everything is still intact from the demo.

scitek

How taxing are those additional features?

I have it capped at 30fps and didn't have any kind of hit from that at all. He increased the rain density and I saw at least one person saying that had a performance impact, but there's a version of the patch with rain at default settings if that's the case.

Xtars

Wow, this is quite big news. I hope that ppl will be able to mod the game enough ti enable most of the sexy effects, or that ubi comes out of the closet and tells it how it is and release a patch that will let you enable all effects.

darthbob

Ohhhh so the question is why did they disable it? Low percentage of PC's being able to run it? It just seems odd especially given almost everything is still intact from the demo.

Stability is my guess. Things like this might not be 'complete', and with deadlines what they are, features get cut.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Apparently there's a fix for the stuttering issues in there somewhere as well lol.

Could be completely wrong, but I'm guessing they were turned off/not used to keep performance and visuals consistent across the board between platforms.

In other words, the PC version was gimped.

actually some people reported less stutter when using the mod and performance hit seems to be marginal for some too

ubisoft magic *snort snort*

Wow, this guy must be hot shit. Hope you PC dudes enjoy. As was noted a few posts ago, I bet it was to keep it not too far off console version.

Serandur

That is... incredible, including the part about actually reducing stuttering. What kind of a circus are they running over at Ubisoft?

NBtoaster

The headlight shadows look bad, I see why they weren't in.

The rain lighting up though is one things from the original demo that I thought made it look next gen.

scitek

The headlight shadows flicker and cause artifacts in the current release, so they may have cut them because optimizing them would've taken too long (though they had given themselves an extra 6 months ffs). TheWorse said he's fixed them, though, so if that's the case, then I really don't see any other reason to cut them than parity.

Goon Boon

Banned
Holy fuck.

How do you fuck up this bad Ubisoft. How do you fuck up THIS BAD? Unless this somehow fucking kills graphics cards, this is hilariously pathetic of Ubisoft.

Vintage

Why would these things be in the game files?

When you have a shitload of assets, it's hard to tell which are used or not. It's better to leave it than delete and pray that it's never used.
Especially when you're Ubi and don't give a shit.

SoundLad

Exciting stuff! Must give it a swirl after work. Pretty nuts that these features aren't utilized by the game at all / buried in the game files.

Anyone got performance data before/after applying the changes?

Edit: Also, SUPER excited about the possibility to enable POM

Now even less people will be able to run it lol.

Those graphics are gonna cost a lot, I barely can play it in 30fps with a gtx670/3570k.

Jibbed

I have asked Sebastien Viard he was/is Graphics Technical Director on Watch Dogs what is his opinion about this mod. I am waiting for answer.

I'm expecting a response along the lines of, "cut for stability... performance issues... deadlines..." etc.

They probably could have added this to another tier in the graphical settings. It's possible they locked it out so they could say that the new consoles could run it on the highest settings or something.

Corpekata

Banned
Now even less people will be able to run it lol.

Those graphics are gonna cost a lot, I barely can play it in 30fps with a gtx670/3570k.

At what settings? Because that seems weird. I have a pretty similar rig and while it struggles with 60 FPS sometimes, 30 is no problem.

This causes me to be even more unimpressed with the PS4 version we got.

There is an overwhelming amount of evidence to indicate sheer laziness, on their part.

Top Bottom