• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two former Last Guardian artists start an indie studio

Two former Team Ico concept artists have started up an indie studio called "Friend & Foe." Rasmus Deguchi and Rui Guerreiro (former character artist) worked on The Last Guardian in 2009-2012. Their first game is called Vane and I see some heavy Team Ico influence if I do say so myself... Looks like they just announced it a few weeks ago.

Blog: http://www.friendandfoegames.com/devlog-vane/2014/5/20/hello-world

For bonus points, here's a quote from Deguchi when he was working on The Last Guardian in 2011:

Rasmus Deguchi, an artist currently working on The Last Guardian for SCE’s Team Ico, puts it this way: “As an artist, what you really want to do is transfer that crazy vision in your head onto the screen as closely as possible. With environment art, you want to help create places that make the player feel something, a sense of place, real or not. If we do our jobs right, we have games with the power to wow people and put them in places they’d otherwise never see, letting them exercise and enjoy the freedom of really being there, in a way I think is truly unique to this medium."

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Geez, is that in-game? The art style is astonishing.

This is gonna be snapped up real quick by some company for a publishing/funding deal.

DJIzana

Damn... that mindset. It's great to see developers that think like this in terms of how we view a video games setting... makes me feel quite happy. =)

Herr K

Banned
Realistically speaking, what's the chance of this coming out on Wii U, considering how benevolent has Nintendo been with indies? I'd love to play this off tv. I hope Wii U is one of the TBA platforms.

zeopower6

I think a handful of staffers left as well (some more recently than others), but they still have a lot of the original staffers at Japan Studio.

The talent they had in terms of artists were reaaalllly good (Ueda was rather picky) so it's not surprising that some who left are producing stuff that looks really good~

I'm just loving some of the pictures and GIFs I'm seeing. We're truly at a point now with games where developers have as much power as they require to express just about any vision. It simply comes down to having a clear vision and the necessary creative, artistic and technical talent to pull it off.

Shinta

Banned
The art is definitely striking. I guess we'll see how gameplay goes. I never held Ico or SotC up to the absurd highs that some do.

This looks interesting so far though.

Holy fuck, I'm sold. SOLD.

I think a handful of staffers left as well (some more recently than others), but they still have a lot of the original staffers at Japan Studio.

The talent they had in terms of artists were reaaalllly good (Ueda was rather picky) so it's not surprising that some who left are producing stuff that looks really good~

They should just let everyone go. So much talent wasted on single title. Let those guys work on a more competent studio that will actually release a freaking game in less than a decade.

iAVAnzdJjaY9a.gif

I'm guessing the hero can transform into a bird? It looks like he's leaving feathers behind when he runs.

This looks amazing. Kind of giving me an Ico x Shadow's Tale vibe.

Top Bottom