• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Software Sales: 2014 Top 20 Half-Year Software Chart

Bruno MB

This week's issue of GamesMarkt magazine features a report about the European video game software sales during the first half of the year.

Top 20 All Format Charts from January to June 2014
(All SKU's, normal and special editions)

NI2Qaw3.jpg

Top 10 Publisher
Software Market Share - Value

01 (01) Electronic Arts - 18,58% (17,25%)
02 (05) Ubisoft - 15,07% (8,54%)
03 (02) Nintendo - 12,32% (11,82%)
04 (03) Activision Blizzard - 9,76% (11,51%)
05 (04) Sony Computer Entertainment - 7,54% (8,78%)
06 (06) Take-Two Interactive - 5,77% (5,07%)
07 (10) Warner Bros. Interactive - 5,26% (2,77%)
08 (07) Square Enix - 4,32% (5,02%)
09 (09) Microsoft - 3,59% (4,11%)
10 (08) Bandai Namco Games - 3,18% (4,22%)

Source: media control® GfK International

The data here takes into account video games sold from retail outlets in 20 European countries. Those countries include: Austria, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, UK, Ireland, Finland, Norway, Russia, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Greece. Digital sales are not included.
The current report is compiled by using data of each participating country, fully extrapolated by each country manager to 100 per cent of local market coverage.

amar212

To be fair to Gran Turismo, it came out in 2013, and this only shows its sales in 2014.

Only moth of sales in 2013, since it released in December.

We never actually got GT6's numbers and this is the first time I ever see some data, and this data is more than relevant, based on disclaimer.

Considering the sales of GT5 in the same period of November 2009 to June 2010, I see why the numbers have been missing.

And these are numbers for Europe, which is GT's stronghold.

Some things are more clear now, I guess I can understand why is Kazunori reluctant to comment over anything business-related for past 6 months.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Why is the average for Watch Dogs above 60?

Collector's edition?

Also, wow at those Thief numbers!

That Just Dance 2014 placement is weird though. Looks like it should be somewhere higher based on revenue or units sold unless there's some metric I'm missing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

We never actually got GT6's numbers and this is the first time I ever see some data, and this data is more than relevant, based on disclaimer.

Considering the sales of GT5 in the same period of November 2009 to June 2010, I see why the numbers have been missing.

Oh for sure. It's massively down. Not making it cross-gen was insane.

I mean Need For Speed sold more and it wasn't exactly flying off shelves for a Need For Speed title.

I just wanted to clarify in general in case anyone was confused as to why, say, Watch Dogs outsold CoD at the same time.

Vlodril

Those thief numbers are insane. I was one of them but it still crazy. Too bad they burned what good will they got from deus ex with me. Infamous also did good. Should have done better.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

And these are numbers for Europe, which is GT's stronghold.

Some things are more clear now, I guess I can understand why is Kazunori reluctant to comment over anything business-related for past 6 months.
This doesn't include digital which you couldn't do with GT5. My copy of GT6 is digital. It's probably not going to add much more, but it's only fair.

TomShoe

Banned
Oh for sure. It's massively down. Not making it cross-gen was insane.

I mean Need For Speed sold more and it wasn't exactly flying off shelves for a Need For Speed title.

I just wanted to clarify in general in case anyone was confused as to why, say, Watch Dogs outsold CoD at the same time.

Wasn't Polyphony Digital too far along in development to make it cross-gen?

Anyhow, Thief sold very well. I didn't expect it to sell much. I guess I can attribute it to sitting right in the middle of the next-gen drought, before InFamous & Titanfall hit.

I really hope those terrible GT6 sales make Kaz/PD reconsider their strategy wrt to GT7 and the load of shit the are going to put on there. Ground up please Kaz, don't just reheat a bunch of PS2/3 assets for tracks and cars and call it a PS4 game. I would rather have a smaller overall game with less content than the bullshit that was GT5/6 with standard cars and tracks that looked like they belonged on PS2.

Otherwise a decent list, would have liked for Infamous to do better, but hopefully it has a longer burn and it will do well as a budget title during Xmas.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nintendo is #3 with 1 game...

I suppose they're coonsidering all the games from Nintendo, not just those from the top 20. The same for the others.

Again: does the top 20 include bundles? Seeing the average price, maybe it doesn't, but better be sure...

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Solid performance for Mario Kart 8. I'm more surprised about Thief - those are some good sales.

Dinda

I'm kind of surprised at how well Thief did. Eidos really overperforms in Europe compared to the US.

Yeah sounds like a great idea then to limit the biggest of their games to the most underperforming console in the region!

Yours Square Enix
please understand

Mpl90

I believe GFK includes bundles in software charts. Don't know for sure.

UK Charts do include bundles for sure, but I think it's not like that for other countries. Germany charts don't include bundles, IIRC.

There's a reason I'm asking. It's due to Nintendo numbers and what we have thanks to datas

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=845102

Mario Kart 8 WW sales up to June 27th, 2013 - 2 millions+

Known sales

US sales up to June's NPD tracking period (i.e. up to July 5th) - 885,000 - including bundles and digital sales
Japan sales up to June 29th (Famitsu, due to digital sales) - 492,837 + 19,854 = 512,691
European sales up to June 30th - 417,620 - no digital sales included

Total known sales - 1,815,311

Sales left to reach the 2 millions sold-through - 184,689

Now, some of those are surely digital, but considering how Europe is more averse to digital compared to US, and that around 7% of total sales (IIRC) came from eShop in US, it could mean that the large majority of those "lacking" sales are from bundles, meaning that something more than 100,000 Wii Us have been sold in Europe just thanks to the MK8 bundle. Opinions?

Denton

Good to see WD ahead of CoD and other stuff, looking forward to refined sequel in a new city for newgenPC only.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Why is the average for Watch Dogs above 60?

Collector's edition?

Also, wow at those Thief numbers!
In Germany the MSRP for console games is 69 EUR at launch from certain publishers.

Edit: up to, there is variable pricing in Germany but unfortunately the variable pricing is always much higher than the NA price. ;-)

I remember being called out when GT6 was announced with everyone saying "of course it´s on PS3 because install base and sales" i don´t know if these people were living under a rock but it was a terrible move decided probably two or three years ago.

Should have cooked for an extra year and released on PS4. I mean, game still isn´t finished on PS3, so it´s clear they could have used the extra time.

I should have put money on the bet that the game would´t sell 5 million units and it would be the worst entry by far.

It´s been seven years since GT5 Prologue and i´m still waiting for them to reintroduce matchmaking and leaderboards, features that were present on the Prologue. It´s not like they are doing any favors to themselves.

It would be nice if they learn a lesson, but i´m pretty sure they won´t. Thankfully Pcars is out this year and on PS4.

Bruno MB

I'm surprised to see that the latest Just Dance title has managed to sell almost half a million units. It seems that a bigger than expected portion of Wii userbase is still active.

Sales comparison during the same time frame:

[1H - 2011] Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft) - 829.286
[1H - 2012] Just Dance 3 (Ubisoft) - 780.299
[1H - 2013] Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft) - 689.643
[1H - 2014] Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft) - 458.110

Are bundles included?

They don't say anything about bundled sales but that doesn't mean they aren't included. It is impossible to know.

Mpl90

I'd also try to estimate actual sales for Watch Dogs, by the known sales numbers and extrapolating PC sales.

Just a tidbit.

*lights Aquamarine signal*

Lady Aquamarine, I remember about 1.3 million for Watch Dogs in the first month in US. Do those sales include PC or are just for consoles?

NEO0MJ

The huge gap in units sold and revenue between 2&3 and to a lesser degree between 6&7 is something. Guess it shows just how important it is to be on more than one platform.

Kysen

I payed £39.99 for gt6, what a waste. Even bought a g27. Stupid move releasing it on ps3 after the ps4 launch. No way is it going to touch gt5 sales. The whole of polyphony needs a kick in the ass. Reusing assets and still taking ages to put out a game, not to mention the constant huge patches full of nothing.

Road

So, adding US and Europe:

Watch Dogs 3.93m (1.87 + 2.05)
Titanfall 2.25m (1.62 + 0.62)
Infamous Second Son 1.09m (0.65 + 0.44)

US numbers missing Titanfall bundles (too lazy to search for it).

Sales comparison during the same time frame:

[1H - 2011] Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft) - 829.286
[1H - 2012] Just Dance 3 (Ubisoft) - 780.299
[1H - 2013] Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft) - 689.643
[1H - 2014] Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft) - 458.110

Do you have the top 20 for 2012 and 2011? Also, did they do one for the entire 2013?

Thanks for bringing the attention to this thread. I had missed it among all the Gamescom news.

Comparing other games:

[1H - 2013] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - 1,413,624
[1H - 2014] Call of Duty: Ghosts - 1,367,935 (-3%)

[1H - 2013] Assassin's Creed III - 839,732
[1H - 2014] Assassin's Creed IV - 987,673 (+18%)

[1H - 2013] Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012 - 684,341
[1H - 2014] Need for Speed Rivals - 546,849 (-20%)

It seems the decline this year has slowed down.

Bruno MB

Do you have the top 20 for 2012 and 2011? Also, did they do one for the entire 2013?

Thanks for bringing the attention to this thread. I had missed it among all the Gamescom news.

Comparing other games:

[1H - 2013] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - 1,413,624
[1H - 2014] Call of Duty: Ghosts - 1,367,935 (-3%)

[1H - 2013] Assassin's Creed III - 839,732
[1H - 2014] Assassin's Creed IV - 987,673 (+18%)

[1H - 2013] Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012 - 684,341
[1H - 2014] Need for Speed Rivals - 546,849 (-20%)

It seems the decline this year has slowed down.

GamesMarkt Magazine has been publishing since 2011 (I think) the European top 20 for the first half of the year, but they never did it for the entire year. I remember that MCV used to do it.

Top 20 All Format (Value) January - June 2011

mWITP8P.jpg

Top 20 All Format (Value) January - June 2012

pcabKj2.jpg

P.S. I find really hard to believe that New Super Mario Bros. sold that much, NDS was on its last legs at that time. It must be New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Top Bottom