• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Expanded Universe |OT| A Neu Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaku

Banned
nI35zkM.png

Out with the old, in with the new EU.

The Star Wars Expanded Universe: Past, Present, and Future

What's canon?

While Lucasfilm always strived to keep the stories created for the EU consistent with our film and television content as well as internally consistent, Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.

With the release of Star Wars: A New Dawn, every official release going forward is considered a part of the new Star Wars canon. Whether it be on film and television, or in a novel or video game, everything counts. This is a clean break from the old expanded universe, and the only prior knowledge of Star Wars you might need to enjoy these new stories are the films (and TCW to a lesser extent).

Novels

A New Dawn: Star Wars Available Now!

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. . . .

“The war is over. The Separatists have been defeated, and the Jedi rebellion has been foiled. We stand on the threshold of a new beginning.”—Emperor Palpatine

For a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights brought peace and order to the Galactic Republic, aided by their connection to the mystical energy field known as the Force. But they were betrayed—and the entire galaxy has paid the price. It is the Age of the Empire.

Now Emperor Palpatine, once Chancellor of the Republic and secretly a Sith follower of the dark side of the Force, has brought his own peace and order to the galaxy. Peace through brutal repression, and order through increasing control of his subjects’ lives.

But even as the Emperor tightens his iron grip, others have begun to question his means and motives. And still others, whose lives were destroyed by Palpatine’s machinations, lay scattered about the galaxy like unexploded bombs, waiting to go off. . . .

Tarkin: Star Wars November 4, 2014

He’s the scion of an honorable and revered family. A dedicated soldier and distinguished legislator. Loyal proponent of the Republic and trusted ally of the Jedi Order. Groomed by the ruthless politician and Sith Lord who would be Emperor, Governor Wilhuff Tarkin rises through the Imperial ranks, enforcing his authority ever more mercilessly . . . and zealously pursuing his destiny as the architect of absolute dominion.

Rule through the fear of force rather than force itself, he advises his Emperor. Under Tarkin’s guidance, an ultimate weapon of unparalleled destruction moves ever closer to becoming a terrifying reality. When the so-called Death Star is completed, Tarkin is confident that the galaxy’s lingering pockets of Separatist rebellion will be brought to heel—by intimidation . . . or annihilation.

Until then, however, insurgency remains a genuine threat. Escalating guerrilla attacks by resistance forces and newfound evidence of a growing Separatist conspiracy are an immediate danger the Empire must meet with swift and brutal action. And to bring down a band of elusive freedom fighters, the Emperor turns to his most formidable agents: Darth Vader, the fearsome new Sith enforcer as remorseless as he is mysterious; and Tarkin—whose tactical cunning and cold-blooded efficiency will pave the way for the Empire’s supremacy . . . and its enemies’ extinction.

Heir to the Jedi: Star Wars February 17, 2015

A thrilling new adventure set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, and—for the first time ever—written entirely from Luke Skywalker’s first-person point of view.

Lords of the Sith: Star Wars April 21, 2015

When the Emperor and his notorious apprentice, Darth Vader, find themselves stranded in the middle of insurgent action on an inhospitable planet, they must rely on each other, the Force, and their awesome martial skills to prevail.

Television

SnieKzD.png

Star Wars Rebels

Set five years before Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope following the fall of the Galactic Republic and the Jedi Council,[6] the series follows a motley group of rebels (all of whom have been affected by the Galactic Empire in one form or the other) that band together aboard a freighter starship called the Ghost. The series will also focus on the origins of some of the groups that form the Rebel Alliance.

Premieres October 3rd on the Disney Channel, but can be viewed in advance on WATCHDisneyXD.com and the WATCH Disney XD app on September 29th.

TCRS

Banned
good idea and great op. totally forgot about the Tarkin novel, looking forward to it!

hopefully the new EU won't go totally overboard as the old one. keep it realistic and gritty.

Moff

When the Emperor and his notorious apprentice, Darth Vader, find themselves stranded in the middle of insurgent action on an inhospitable planet, they must rely on each other, the Force, and their awesome martial skills to prevail.

tumblr_md7nlrmi321rkghduo1_400.gif

I'll buy the tarkin novel though, plagueis from the same author was decent enough

Snaku

Banned
About a quarter through A New Dawn, and I'm really enjoying the smaller scale of the story. I like seeing the average person reacting to the Empire and their brutal tactics for the first time.

well that takes care of realistic and gritty...

"awesome martial skills"

pls no

Ha, well those last two are brief placeholder descriptions of the books, I doubt they'll be that bad.

Snaku

Banned
How is: A New Dawn: Star Wars? Since it's out.

I'd say it's worth reading, especially if you're going to watch the Rebels tv show. Introduces a few of the main characters and their backgrounds, and helps paint a picture of what the galaxy has become after ten years of Palpatine's rule.

Savitar

It's largely the same authors who wrote the same novels before.

If you didn't like it then, you won't like it now.

But then again, you probably didn't read any of them before either.

MisterHero

They can do whatever they want. Just bring back the Outrider and have a one or two stories of Han and Dash racing. Also they trick Lando out of the Millennium Falcon

Korten

Banned
I searched for this thread and found it. I think this deserves some love...

Question, who has read Tarkin and would you recommend it? I'm thinking of making sure I keep up with the new EU.

I searched for this thread and found it. I think this deserves some love...

Question, who has read Tarkin and would you recommend it? I'm thinking of making sure I keep up with the new EU.

From the responses I've read it seems like a good read. I'm hoping to get it for Christmas.

I'm looking forward to Heir of the Jedi most.

obin_gam

I read Tarkin a while ago. It was quite enjoyable. And ends
in an awesome cliffhager* which makes me hope for a
Tarkin 2 :D

The maiden voyage of the first Death Star

Real Hero

That new trailer has gotten my really into Star Wars again. I'm not sure if this is a good thing but I'm going to watch The Clone Wars and maybe get one of these books. I tried to get into the Star Wars books years ago but there was so many references to past books, every time the Vuh Zah ghon (or something) was brought up I felt out of the loop. So this new start seems like a good time to give the EU stuff a shot.

Rayven

aka surume

Did we just become best friends?

Kaladin

I am very intrigued, didn't know they were rebooting the novels and making them canon now. The great thing about these novels is you only have to read what interests you.

Meowster

I'm excited for the reboot with the EU. It was gravely needed. I need to start watching Rebels and read Tarkin asap though. Haven't had the time to just yet.

Rootbeer

Banned
Subscribing. But is it accurate to call books/comics/etc. starting with New Dawn "Expanded Universe?" I thought these were part of the new canon.

Isn't the goal to make all future books, comics, tv shows, games part of canon?

I think they are going to face a lot of problems if they have to make everything created going forward part of canon... but we'll see how they do.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hopefully Star wars fans aren't sleeping on Star Wars: Rebels. It's legit. Particular the last episode.

For sure. "Path of the Jedi" was a great showing of the potential this series has. More people need to watch it and give it the chance it deserves, if you're a SW fan.

Look at Clone Wars. I definitely remember plenty of criticism of it at times, particularly in the earlier seasons. But now? You can barely read a Star Wars forum thread anywhere on the internet without someone saying it's one of the best SW things ever made and that everyone should watch it -- with plenty in agreeance.

Rebels has every bit as much potential. Let's not forget that it has a big chunk of Clone Wars people working on it.

Subscribing. But is it accurate to call books/comics/etc. starting with New Dawn "Expanded Universe?" I thought these were part of the new canon.

Isn't the goal to make all future books, comics, tv shows, games part of canon?

I think they are going to face a lot of problems if they have to make everything created going forward part of canon... but we'll see how they do.

Expanded Universe literally means Star Wars stories that expand and further explore the universe that is shown in the films

Look at Clone Wars. I definitely remember plenty of criticism of it at times, particularly in the earlier seasons. But now? You can barely read a Star Wars forum thread anywhere on the internet without someone saying it's one of the best SW things ever made and that everyone should watch it -- with plenty in agreeance.

Only clowns would say this
The Obi-Wan arc through the show was solid though

Tarkin is an Audiobook as well I'm pretty sure, or will be. I love the new EU show that's on Nick or whatever. I'm glad we can get a bit of affirmation that these EU's are concrete and firmly planted in the lore and history.

edit:

Star Wars: Rebels was the show seeing from a few post up. Great show and is such a treat to 70-90's kids in the way it fits the movies in tone and look.

I might get hammered for saying this, but I have no problem with the EU being wiped personally. Why not start fresh? We are getting new movies, new games, and now new canon. I understand that many people hold these stories in high regard and are sad that they no longer really count in the universe, but remember folks, canon is whatever you want it to be :)

A New Dawn was terrible.

I was so excited too because Hera and Kanan seem like great characters with a cool history.
What potential to set up the foundation of how they got together!

Instead we clumsily tripped over an old discarded manuscript, scribbled their names here and there in the "plot" and fell into A New Dawn.

I might get hammered for saying this, but I have no problem with the EU being wiped personally. Why not start fresh? We are getting new movies, new games, and now new canon. I understand that many people hold these stories in high regard and are sad that they no longer really count in the universe, but remember folks, canon is whatever you want it to be :)

Someone didn't read the OP. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom