• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

suzu

SG7FJxF.png

TJt2ogl.png

Developer - indieszero
Publisher - Square Enix
Platform - Nintendo 3DS
Genre - Rhythm Action
Rating - ESRB Teen, PEGI 12
Players - 1 to 2 (Local and Internet. A second game is required for multiplayer.)
Release Dates - September 16th, 2014 (NA) | September 19th, 2014 (EU)​

Price - $39.99 | €39.99 | £29.99
eShop Download - Yes
Game Size - 13k ~ 15k blocks (?)
Demo - Yes (Downloading it will unlock a few characters in the full game earlier.)

Limited Edition (pre-order) - includes the game and a 5-track CD sampler of remixes. (NA/EU)
Collector's Edition - includes the game, 20-track best of CD, 5 CollectaCards, Nintendo 3DS Collector's pouch and the LE items. (NA | EU)​

EtYHUYi.png

Gameplay involves musical triggers that you tap/hold/slide in rhythm to a song as they approach and pass over an empty circle/mark. Your timing is important and will determine how well you score. Failing to correctly hit the triggers will result in loss of HP to the party and a Game Over when all HP is depleted.

There are three types of music stages. Field (FMS - side scrolling overworld), Battle (BMS - upbeat group fights), and Event (EMS - cinematic visuals and cutscenes montage). A new addition to FMS are Airship stages. Instead of your character walking on the field, they will be riding inside an airship. The triggers on these stages will approach at an angle!

All difficulties are available from the beginning unlike the previous game where you had to unlock them.

Form a party of 4 members chosen from over 60 characters from across the Final Fantasy series. As you traverse through songs (defeating monsters, bosses, and finding treasure chests) your party will gain experience points and gather Rhythmia (to unlock more songs, characters, etc). Customize your party members with special abilities and items!

CONTROLS - You're now able to play entirely using the 3DS's ABXYLR buttons and the Circle pad! The stylus is still available if you prefer touch controls. You can even try using both (!?) at the same time.​

lqTD66c.png

versus_mode_02-full.jpg

In VERSUS mode, go head to head in a battle against the AI, local players, and random players over the internet via Nintendo Network. Fill your EX Burst Gauge to unleash a random EX Burst on your opponent, one of nine deadly status ailments that will negatively affect their ability to play.

When the song ends, the winner will receive Two CollectaCards and advance in the ranking (in ranked battles), while the loser only gets one consolation CollectaCard. No matter what happens though, both players ProfiCards will be exchanged, allowing you to pick up the other player’s Chaos Map!

quest_medley_01-full.jpg

In QUEST MEDLEY mode, you’ll progress across “Chaos Maps” of varying difficulty by playing a new song at each "stop" on the map. But be careful – the health of your heroes doesn’t refill along the way, so you’ll have to plan smart by bringing a balanced party and a stocked inventory in order to make it to and defeat the map’s boss!

By defeating the boss, not only will you receive the map’s reward, but you may also get a rare drop from the boss and of course, experience points for your party! Completed maps can be shared with other players via your ProfiCard / StreetPass.

collecta_01.jpg

In COLLECTACARD CRYSTARIUM, use the CollectaCards you earn at the end of songs and through Versus Mode and you can power up the stats of your characters to make them even stronger! Every card is ranked by rarity: normal, rare, premium. The more rare the card, the better the stat boosts!

Another addition is Today's Top Hit in Music Stages mode, where a couple of songs are selected each day and upon successful completion the player receives a Daily Special Bonus; 1.5x the normal amount of Rhythmia.​

a26fDsb.png

Curtain Call includes 221 songs, not counting the DLC. Yes, all tracks & DLC from the previous game is included -- with the exception of Somnus (FFXV).

A notable change is that the old EMS from Theatrhythm have now been converted to FMS/BMS in Curtain Call.

There are also new tracks from Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Lightning Returns, Final Fantasy Type-0, the movie Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and other spin-off games in the franchise such as Final Fantasy Adventure, and the Crystal Chronicles and Dissidia games.

All DLC songs and characters are priced at $0.99 | €0.99 | £0.89 each.

♦ The full tracklist can be viewed here.

♦ The full list of DLC can be viewed and listened to here.

♦ The entire list of Rhythmia unlockables can be viewed here.

Songs unlocked by Rhythmia:

01000 | EMS | Final Fantasy XIV - Answers
01500 | EMS | Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - Savior of Souls
02000 | EMS | Final Fantasy X-2 - 1000 Words
02500 | EMS | Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children - Advent: One-Winged Angel
03500 | EMS | Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Moonless Starry Night
04500 | EMS | Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Warrior Goddess
05500 | EMS | Final Fantasy Tactics - Bland Logo~Title Back
06500 | EMS | Final Fantasy Type-0 - We Have Come
07500 | EMS | Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - CRISIS CORE Theme - Dreams and Honor
08500 | EMS | Dissidia 012/Duodecim Final Fantasy - Lux Concordiae
10000 | EMS | Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call Special Arrange Medley
22000 | BMS | Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon - Dungeon Hero X's Theme
26000 | BMS | Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon - Raffaello Battle
30000 | BMS | Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon - Guardian of the Dark II
40000 | BMS | Chaos Battle/The Chaos Shrine - TFFCC BMS Arrangement - From FF

BQOH1LH.png

Screenshots

ss-03.jpg
ss-05.jpg

ss-02.jpg
ss-04.jpg

pYyv1bF.png

Play against fellow GAF members in online Versus mode! To do so, just mutually add each other to your 3DS friend list.​
I made a google form to organize this, add yourself to the list here and check the list of gaffers here.

To battle, head over to: Versus mode > VS Online Battle > VS Friends.

One person will need to set up the match by clicking on "Recruit Opponents". While they are waiting, the other person can join by clicking on the opponent's name located on the VS Friends screen.

Remember, you can also share Chaos Maps from the Streetpass > ProfiCard menu!

♫ Also, check out the weekly Community Challenges / GAF Leaderboard (run by Adam Prime and MrDaravon) on the most recent pages of this thread.​

7pwUqXb.png

The end! Sorry for stepping on any toes, copy pastas, and errors. The thread was done on short notice. The previous game's OT can be found here! For avatars and whatnot, check out the official JP site. The official site is also linked here. Credit and thanks to the sources (ffwikia and gamefaqs) that I perused to create the thread.

suzu

fBApm5x.png

Reviews

Misc

FAQ

Should I buy the first Theatrhythm?
Only if you really want to play and watch the old EMS clips. Apart from that, no. Just play Curtain Call.

Can I use my old save file and previously purchased Theatrhythm DLC in Curtain Call?
Nope. And all the previous songs are now available in the new game, except Somnus.​

daydream

Banned
Nice OT!

I wonder if I missed my chance to get the CE, can anyone confirm if Amazon.de had it up for order already?

linko9

So hyped for this. When the first one came out I immediately did nothing but play it for like 2 weeks straight... put in over 100 hours in that time. I've since gotten SSS on all expert and SS on all ultimates... and I'm ready to do it again. Don't know what it is about this but unlike most rhythm games I don't get burned out even after hours on end.

Great OT, particularly for being made on short notice. :)
This game is everything I hoped the first Theatrhythm would be.
I'm so glad that the collecta cards have a use now!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yes! someone made an OT! Good work suzu!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely can't wait till play this. The first one is my favourite game on the 3DS.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
All the DLC from the first game is included. The new DLC is only for previously unreleased songs.
Aaah, okay. I was wondering about this. I didn't buy much DLC for the first game, so I'm not too bummed out.

Can't wait to get this. Tried the demo and I'm pleased with the button/circle pad combo, though in Field, it can feel awkward going up & down, then the game telling you to press right or left. For some reason, I'd sometimes miss it despite doing it.

Any word on the 5-track & 20-track CDs song listings?

Will this be enjoyable if I can hardly finish Ultimate score in the demo?

I think so!!! I have put over 100 hours in the first one and still have difficult passing the Ultimate scores LOL! If anything, the more you play, you'll find it gets easier to get through the ultimate mode.

Ludovico

Wait, so this is basically a GOTY version of the original game?

I played the first one nonstop for about a month, but never put down for DLC.
Too many good games on the horizon, and too much work responsibility at the moment.
Like, this game is perfect for pick up and play in theory, but I just know I'll end up binge playing it when I'm supposed to be doing work...

Downloading the moment it goes up ;_;

Kouriozan

I think so!!! I have put over 100 hours in the first one and still have difficult passing the Ultimate scores LOL! If anything, the more you play, you'll find it gets easier to get through the ultimate mode.
Gotcha, I already have the game on pre-order anyway.

cj_iwakura

Oh wow, it has FFT & Crisis Core music?!

Still not sure if want...

Does it have the English version of Melodies of Life this time?

And maybe the vocal remix of Archlyte Steppe from XIII-2? Was kind of disappointed when I bought the DLC and that wasn't it...

suzu

Thanks everybody! :D

Sorry to the guy who claimed it earlier. Not sure when you'll be back from your ban and release day is approaching. :<

Does it have the English version of Melodies of Life this time?

And maybe the vocal remix of Archlyte Steppe from XIII-2? Was kind of disappointed when I bought the DLC and that wasn't it...

No idea about Melodies of Life.

I like the vocal version of Archylte Steppe too, but it doesn't look like it's available.

The original absolutely dominated my gaming for months. This will undoubtedly do the same. So glad that the iOS quests made it in this version. Those were excellent.

ash321

Apparently Target have the normal edition instock early, just ask them to use PDA and search curtain call, it will show up.

ryushe

Shame about your level and stats not meaning anything again. That was my only complaint about the first game but I understand that they want it more of rhythm game than an rpg.

Stuart444

I tried the Ultimate scores of both the demo songs... I don't understand how people can do this. My brain can't even process what to press before it reaches the circles. (or in field ones, moving up and down very very quickly)

Seriously, brain can't process it at all. :/ I'm resigned to basic and expert (for some songs) courses I guess.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I ultimate S ranked both songs on first try. This game sold me on the battle mode
I can't wait to stomp fools online. This game is going to be my crack.

Jb

I tried the Ultimate scores of both the demo songs... I don't understand how people can do this. My brain can't even process what to press before it reaches the circles. (or in field ones, moving up and down very very quickly)

Seriously, brain can't process it at all. :/ I'm resigned to basic and expert (for some songs) courses I guess.

At a certain point it becomes simple memorization. You know how the song goes, you know which input is associated with which part of the song, so the on screen prompts become almost useless as you're playing from memory.

That feeling when you remember you've already paid off the pre-order. Can't wait for this. Hoping it has more challenge than the first one but with the crazy amount more content I'm sure it will.

Top Bottom