• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Monsters:SL temporarily overtook Puzzle & Dragons on iOS grossing Japan

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's very rare for Puzzle and Dragons to get moved off the #1 top grossing spot, and it's been that way for several years now, so I thought this was worth noting.

The only other title to do that lately is Monster Strike, which is the top one in the list in the image.

Puzzle & Dragons is currently back up to #1.

Source: https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/513632198725885953

ByDJwvPCQAEt1zs.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's interesting. How does it sty at number one if everyone has it already?

Also is this a screenshot from your phone? That app updates flag would be driving me crazy

Top grossing apps.

As an f2p title, you can buy microtransactions indefinitely.

The screen is from the guy who's twitter is linked. He's a social games analyst for the Japanese market.

Tiktaalik

How long have DQM:Super Light and Monster Strike been within overtaking distance of P&D?

I sat in on a GDC discussion of how Jelly Splash did a big ad spend to essentially buy users to boost themselves into the Top 10. However this was early in the life of Jelly Splash around the launch period. I would think a publisher wouldn't go to the effort if their app was already steadily in the top 10 and a success, but maybe there's some tangible benefit to moving from #3 to #1 that could make it worth some big spending push to get there, if only for a little while.

I keep hearing more and more about Monster Strike. Any rumblings about when it could come to NA?

Top grossing apps.

As an f2p title, you can buy microtransactions indefinitely.

The screen is from the guy who's twitter is linked. He's a social games analyst for the Japanese market.

Ah, top grossing.

I never look at that list unless I want to know what not to download into my phone.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Hmm. . .I know it won't be mobile, but this makes me wonder if Dragon Quest Heroes will actually have a pretty significant impact for PS4 in Japan.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How long have DQM:Super Light and Monster Strike been within overtaking distance of P&D?

I sat in on a GDC discussion of how Jelly Splash did a big ad spend to essentially buy users to boost themselves into the Top 10. However this was early in the life of Jelly Splash around the launch period. I would think a publisher wouldn't go to the effort if their app was already steadily in the top 10 and a success, but maybe there's some tangible benefit to moving from #3 to #1 that could make it worth some big spending push to get there, if only for a little while.

I keep hearing more and more about Monster Strike. Any rumblings about when it could come to NA?

Monster Strike has been a pretty solid #2 for quite a while now. It's coming to the US in October.

Super Light moves up and down with its event cycle, but is generally within the top 5-15. After the first ~5 or so there's about 20 games that jostle around the next 10 slots and sometimes go higher.

Tiktaalik

Just noticed that the picture is of the Top Grossing list, which makes what I was talking about not relevant. The advertising to move up the list type stuff that Jelly Splash was talking about only applies to the Free list which is based on downloads and reviews.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just noticed that the picture is of the Top Grossing list, which makes what I was talking about not relevant. The advertising to move up the list type stuff that Jelly Splash was talking about only applies to the Free list which is based on downloads and reviews.

Yeah, user acquisition for the download list can be notably expensive.

KiTA

I tried this, it was really, really, really good.

Oh, and there's a surprising amount of English in it, which gives me hope that it might get localized. It's kinda a no brainer since SE is on a Mobile kick in the US, right?

Top Bottom