• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't we just nuke ISIS, ISIL, whatever they're called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
If the entire world is behind us in getting rid of ISIS...why not just use nuclear weaponry to make a statement?

Drop the damn A-bomb and finish it.

Use of Nuclear Weapons would turn those regions into a radioactive wasteland.

ISIS is invading innocent villages and the like where use of nuclear weapons would guarantee the deaths of probably tens to hundreds of thousands of civilians

It's a really poorly thought out suggestion

Hexa

If the entire world is behind us in getting rid of ISIS...why not just use nuclear weaponry to make a statement?

It's not like they have a capital or any major cities that we can bomb. Its still overall a pretty guerrilla movement. Furthermore, it would have long lasting affects for the region.

They should definitely drop a couple MOABs though.
Mostly just because I think they're cool and want to see them used in actual combat, and see Russia put up or shut up with FOAB.

rjinaz

I actually hear this a lot, even from my own family. Just nuke em!

Thouands upon thousands (if not millions) of innocent people would die, and it would poison the entire region for decades. The world would never sanction such an action.

Eusis

Because we're not talking large zones where it's literally just ISIL, we're talking about places they're dominating with lots of innocent people to liberate. This is like solving a bug infestation by burning down the people, or gassing it without getting everyone out anyway.

Because a Nuclear weapon is one of, if not the most devestating, powerful and dangerous weapons in history that should arguably never be used no matter how dire a circumstance.

Valhelm

contribute something

ISIS has about 30,000 members. The area they control is inhabited by tens of millions of people.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I mean like a bomb that has an effect of one-mile radius. I'm sure ISIS has some sort of territory that's a one-mile radius with zero civilians.

I'm just thinking outside the box...drop some large bombs on them in areas where they are concentrated and of course limit the innocent casualties or prevent them all together if possible.

Porcile

That'd be a bit extreme to pull, considering ISIL troops are spaced out across a region the size of Great Britain.

GrizzNKev

Banned
My dad suggested nuking the middle east once a few years ago. I was in such disbelief that my own parent would genuinely say something like that, I started crying.

I mean like a bomb that has an effect of one-mile radius. I'm sure ISIS has some sort of territory that's a one-mile radius with zero civilians.

I'm just thinking outside the box...drop some large bombs on them in areas where they are concentrated and of course limit the innocent casualties or prevent them all together if possible.

There's still the issue of land becoming radioactive.

Prez

If only you could just concentrate all of IS in a 5km radius. Even then a nuke would be terrible idea and you could easily bomb them without nukes.

You don't really know much about anything, do you?

Okay this proves your ignorance. In a territory that small you could take them out with ease using conventional warfare.

acrid

Banned
While I truly agree with your sentiment, the lost innocents and collateral damage would be beyond catastrophic. Granted this is rational thought, and "we" (US/EU) nations would not do this. Putin on the other hand......

You would never ever use a nuclear device to do that. And I assure you the targeted strikes that are underway or planned will be close to what you suggest but non-nuclear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom