• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we marvel at the Hindenburg for a moment? (Colourized interior photos inside!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, "oh the humanity! / oh, the huge manattee!" OK, got that out of the way.

Look at how damn massive this thing was! Remember, this thing was flying in the 1930s!

1200px-Giant_Aircraft_Comparison.svg.png

And some shots of the interior.

j3nCun6.jpg

VgbDbqY.jpg

AIzmu13.jpg

MDYx8CX.jpg

RkXNeaO.jpg

72Xfv8A.jpg

Hq90a2Z.jpg

givQzvq.jpg

rOj5vk6.jpg

lgp76gj.jpg

Swagggggggg. Surprisingly modern aesthetic! Can we make these a "thing" again?

Video of it flying around as well as some crash footage. It looks... ominous, to say the least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgWHbpMVQ1U

Here is the aftermath.
http://i.imgur.com/6zfigRs.jpg

Source

And apparently, there is a company trying to bring these back?

http://www.gizmag.com/aeros-gets-faa-approval-for-testing/28970/

aeroscraft-nears-flight-testing.jpg

Still attached to tethers, the Aeroscraft prototype lifts a short way into the sky as pre-flight testing continues on the ground-breaking airship (Photo: Aeros)

After a 70-year absence, it appears that a new rigid frame airship will soon be taking to the skies over California. Aeros Corporation, a company based near San Diego, has received experimental airworthiness certification from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to begin flight testing the Aeroscraft airship, and it appears that the company has wasted no time getting started.

Aeros has provided these photographs of the Aeroscraft airship outside undergoing tethered testing on Saturday, September 7, 2013, and they clearly show the airship off the ground and under control. The large bag structures under airship are landing pads, a type of inflated hovercraft skirt that allow the airship to rest on the ground – or water, or ice – without wheels.
Crazy!

ymmv

Banned

This must be the business class section where you could do some work. There's even a typewriter if you wanted to write a letter - or more likely where a secretary could write letters.

Cool pics, I never had a concept of what the interior looked like. Nor an appreciation for how large that thing was. I would take a transatlantic flight once just for the spectacle of it.

RedTurbo

Banned
I love colorized photos. They feel so much more real than black and white.

On a side note, this thing was really dangerous. It's like the designers never thought it would be a bad idea. :/

Blues1990

I'm shocked that interior photos, especially ones that are in colour, have survived all these years. It's pretty eerie, to say the least.

Really tacky. Those walls and ceilings look extremely flammable too.

For the 1930s? You're crazy bruh. You have to remember that the furniture, furnishings, and on-board materials had to be lightweight and decently sturdy. The fact that they even had some stuff in there that slightly resembled "upscale/posh" is a feat in itself!

Irminsul

On a side note, this thing was really dangerous. It's like the designers never thought it would be a bad idea. :/
Well, the US didn't export Helium to Germany at this point due to the whole Nazi shenanigans. So they had to use Hydrogen instead.

For the 1930s? You're crazy bruh. You have to remember that the furniture, furnishings, and on-board materials had to be lightweight and decently sturdy. The fact that they even had some stuff in there that slightly resembled "upscale/posh" is a feat in itself!

Yeah well, clearly it was a design fail.

temp

posting on contract only
Well, the US didn't export Helium to Germany at this point due to the whole Nazi shenanigans. So they had to use Hydrogen instead.

Apparently sale of helium to foreign countries had been banned since the Helium Control Act of 1927, and it had nothing to do with Nazism.

AMUSIX

It should be noted that the actual passenger/functional portion of the ship wasn't that much bigger than those planes, as it only carried about 100 people.

Also from the interior:
u01LfYP.jpg

stufte

It should be noted that the actual passenger/functional portion of the ship wasn't that much bigger than those planes, as it only carried about 100 people.

Also from the interior:
u01LfYP.jpg

I did nazi that comin.

Seriously though, I don't think I've ever seen photos of the interior, so this thread is fascinating!

Just astounding that there was a smoking room aboard! A smoking room on an airship inflated with over 7 million cubic feet of hydrogen. Crazy.

DopeToast

Banned
So I guess I didn't know anything about the Hindenburg other than that it crashed and burned and the "Oh the humanity!" radio broadcast. That thing is fucking huge! And the interior looks dope as fuck.

Irminsul

Yet the very same US allowed this ship to come Transatlantic from Nazi Germany into the US.

What...?

Apparently sale of helium to foreign countries had been banned since the Helium Control Act of 1927, and it had nothing to do with Nazism.
Hm, I thought I read once that it did have something to do with Nazi Germany, but apparently not so.

Also, to the point of "allowing it to come to the US", well, some Western countries are sanctioning Russia, not cancelling all flights from and to the country.

Laekon

You would think there would be a tourist trip angle to bring them back to use. Instead of riding a train through the mountains the view would be even better from a air ship. I could imagine a flight down the Rockies or from Vancouver to Juneau.

I go to a trade show every year in Friedrichshafen Germany that's held in old zeppelin hangers. The town is all about zeppelins as there is a museum and their seems to be modern ones flying every day. Great food, beer, and wine in the Bodensee.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm not sure why you guys think it looks modern. It looks like all the stuff my friend who sells vintage furniture peddles.

These are the hangars the new ones are being built in in my hometown. Always loved driving by them.

With original blimps:

With new blimps:

That bottom one looks so dope. I could totally see Daft Punk arriving to a concert in one of these groovy machines.
I'm not sure why you guys think it looks modern. It looks like all the stuff my friend who sells vintage furniture peddles.
Because it's 19-freaking-30 dude. It looks 70's vintage to us, but this was 40 years prior.

Leynos

Wow, I never had an appreciation for how massive she was. These are the first photos that I've seen of the interior, and find it fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom