• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Listen Shawn Layden: Bring back Crash Bandicoot!

So Shawn Layden is reading several gaming boards?
That's damn good! The Vib-Ribbon story is amazing and yes, he is listening.
Now let's talk about the big elephant in the room (again):

dVEXCks.png

Crash Bandicoot

For the love of god.... BRING THE LOST SON BACK HOME!
Don't tell me Activision doesn't want to sell the IP.
They aren't doing anything with it.
SCEA wasted tens of millions of $$$ with Santa Monica's canceled IP.
Sh#t happens! But use some money, talk with Activision and make a deal.

PlayStation fans love Crash. And to know that Activision owns the rights/IP is sickening and annoys the hell outta them and me.
He is a PlayStation mascot, for gods sake!
Seeing "The Art of Naughty Dog Limited Edition" without Crash was heartbreaking and made PlayStation fans furious.
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale without Crash? Rage!!
Crash belongs to PlayStation!

So yes, again, DO SOMETHING!

Take a look at this and you know what you have to do, Shawn:

rAvE1aB.jpg

Toki767

Activision could just be holding the IP at ransom for all we know. Not exactly much Sony can do about that.

Or maybe use the money for something new? Because let's be honest, there are probably not that many people who want a new Crash game.

Or maybe use the money for something new? Because let's be honest, there are probably not that many people who want a new Crash game.

There is "something new" all the time!
The Tomorrow Children, RIME, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, The Order: 1886, Bloodborne, etc. etc. etc.
THERE IS YOUR "something new"! :S

We are talking about "fan service" like the Vib-Ribbon story, which was awesome.

But come on, we're talking about Crash here.
Bring the lost son back home, Shawn!

If a new one were made it'd have really high expectations so many probably won't like it for various reasons

Lol this thread will cause the price to increase for Sony to get crash back

Activision don't sell cheap

Danlord

The thing is, with Vib-Ribbon Sony own the IP and it was less issue with re-licensing and working out some small technical hurdles with the disk-changing compared to Crash. Crash Bandicoot isn't owned by Sony, so licensing the IP alone would be huge (financially too) and buying it outright would be even more expensive, then resource-intensive to develop the game which after spending 3-6 months negotiating the cost of the sale, spending 18+ months developing the game would incur more costs and more time.

I really think Sony should invest a lot of money to get the IP back, especially if Sony are true in wanting to secure the casual crowd it would be the best sell to have a brand new Crash Bandicoot on PS4, but it's not as straight forward.

Activision is holding Crash Bandicoot hostage.

I have no doubt Sony has asked em about it and Activision likely gave them some ridiculous 400 million dollar buyout number or something like that.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Jak needs a revival before Crash.

Don't tell me Activision doesn't want to sell the IP.

Why would they want to? They aren't hurting for money and I'm sure someone at Activision looks at how successful Spyro was with launching skylanders (regardless how much that brand actually helped) and figures Crash may be useful down the road.

Same reason Disney won't sell those old Lucasarts IP, there is no real benefit to do so.

Otheradam

A new Crash game would not do well in today's market. This is like asking for a fully new Ratchet and Clank game. It's just not going to happen.

Crash Bandicoot, if it was an extremely polished AAA effort ala Nintendo's platformers and made by a quality team at SCE, would be INCREDIBLY welcome in the PS4 lineup.

I don't know that it would suddenly sell 10 million units like it was 1998 on PS1, but there's no doubt in my mind that a legit Crash game would sell well. You can't bring back *every* OG PS1 IP and move units on nostalgia; however, Crash is one exception.

Which studios to develop it ?

Naughty Dog have told that they don't want to make " cartoon " games anymore.

Did they really say that? Shame if true. It'd be refreshing to see them do a 3D platformer again. They can popularize the genre with a well received game from a known IP.

Cornbread78

uuggh, no way Activision sells the IP. They would however, agree to co-market and develope the game with Sony as long as they pay up to have it made..

EU PS Classic Top Sellers

October 2014 said:
1. Crash Bandicoot (1)
2. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped (2)
3. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (3)
4. CTR: Crash Team Racing (4)

September 2014 said:
1. Crash Bandicoot (2)
2. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped (3)
3. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (4)
4. CTR: Crash Team Racing (5)

August 2014 said:
1. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (8)
2. Crash Bandicoot (1)
3. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped (3)
4. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (5)
5. CTR: Crash Team Racing (7)

Mr Swine

Banned
No, let Sony use the money to develop a new IP, not use it on a old IP that doesn't have any brand recognition whatsoever anymore. Let it go folks, Crash isn't what it used to be

sam777

All the main guys from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo most likely read these message boards and if Crash was easy for them to get back I am sure they would but when they couldn't even to get him to feature for PS All Stars, something tells me he must be very difficult for Sony to get from Activision.

I wish they do get it back as I loved playing Crah Bandicoot as a kid and even the racing game was a lot of fun.

Sony’s press conference ended late on Monday evening, and Layden went back to his hotel room not long after. He woke up in the morning ready to do some interviews with the press, and spoke to his communications director Dan Race.

“You did a great job, Shawn,” Layden recalls Race saying. “Just… don’t look at the internet.”

Don’t look at the internet? “But, of course,” said Layden, “I’m laying in my bed, it’s six o’clock, I just get the phone out… maybe I’ll just see.”

“I don’t know why I went to NeoGAF,” a popular gaming web forum notorious for giving no quarter to game industry executives’ performances. “That was probably the wrong place to go.”

“I couldn’t believe the outcry,” he said. “‘Damn, you, Layden! At the end, we’re waiting for the announcement of Vib-Ribbon, and you show Mortal Kombat X! You’d better be bringing that thing out, or that’s the worst trolling ever!’ Boom, boom, boom.”

Of all the reactions to what Layden assumed would be the most boring part of Sony’s conference, this was not one of them. Then he remembered something, the import of which hadn’t really occurred to him until that moment, reading NeoGAF on his phone in bed.

Sony Computer Entertainment America had never actually released Vib-Ribbon.

wow lol

ExoSoul

Banned
Which studios to develop it ?

Naughty Dog have told that they don't want to make " cartoon " games anymore.

IIRC all they said was while coming up with the concept for Jak 4 the concept was too mature to be a part of the same world, not that they would never do a "cartoon" world again.

Shouldn't this be directed towards Yoshida??
Nope! He is the boss of SCE's internal game studios / 1st Party output.

I'd buy a PS4 immediately if they got Crash back!!! COME ON SONY, FOR GOD SAKE!!!!
#BringCrashBackHome

Beautiful! T__T
It really is!
Reading different threads on different boards --> The PlayStation fans want Crash back.
Most important -> Get the damn IP back! Acquire it!
Even Neogaf has its own "Crash Community" Thread.
Knowing a lot of people online and in real life who would buy a PS4 (hell, even a second PS4) immediately, if Crash returns "home".
Fan service, baby! Do it Shawn Layden!!

Top Bottom