• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC Unity Season Pass Cancelled, Ubi offers free game instead

Season pass holders will get all previously promised content plus one free game of their choice.

Still confused after reading OP. So, has there been DLC that was canceled, or are they still delivering everything they promised?

And the free game is only for season pass holders? So... what do people who bought the regular edition get? Nothing?

Bought Gold Edition: Extra weapons/armor, AC: China, Dead Kings + free game

Bought Season Pass: Extra weapons/armor, AC: China, Dead Kings + free game

Bought Regular Edition: Dead Kings DLC for free.

You can no longer buy the Season Pass.

UPDATE:
The launch of Assassin’s Creed Unity was a highly-anticipated moment for me and for our development teams around the world who dedicated a tremendous amount of energy, passion and skill to the game’s creation. For us, it was the culmination of years of work on new technologies, the development of multiple innovations -- including an all-new game engine -- and an evolution of the Assassin’s Creed franchise’s core pillars. More importantly, we know that it was a highly-anticipated moment for many of you as well, as you looked forward to taking part in the first truly next generation Assassin’s Creed game.

Unfortunately, at launch, the overall quality of the game was diminished by bugs and unexpected technical issues. I want to sincerely apologize on behalf of Ubisoft and the entire Assassin's Creed team. These problems took away from your enjoyment of the game, and kept many of you from experiencing the game at its fullest potential.

We’ve been working hard to fix the problems players are reporting, and the patches we have released so far have resolved many of them. Today, we’re releasing our third patch, which fixes a variety of specific issues related to the game’s stability and performance, matchmaking and connectivity, gameplay and menus. You can find the release notes on that patch here: Patch 3 Notes

To show our appreciation for your continued support, we’re making the upcoming Assassin’s Creed Unity Dead Kings DLC free for everyone. For Season Pass holders, we will also offer the choice of one additional game from a selection of Ubisoft titles for free. More details on the offer for Season Pass holders can be found here: AC Unity FAQ

In addition to the latest patch and this offer, we are committed to delivering further fixes for other issues you’ve raised. In the meantime, please keep your feedback coming – it has been both humbling and incredibly helpful as we continue working hard to improve the overall quality of the game. We are hopeful that with these forthcoming updates, everyone will be able to truly enjoy their Assassin’s Creed Unity experience.

We will continue striving to make Assassin’s Creed one of the most ambitious and innovative franchises on the market, and we thank you for your continued loyalty and support.

Sincerely,

Yannis Mallat

CEO, Ubisoft Montreal & Toronto
http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-GB/news/news_detail.aspx?c=tcm:154-186654-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

TERMS:
Am I eligible to receive the Dead Kings DLC for free?

Yes! Anyone that purchases Assassin’s Creed Unity on PS4, Xbox One or PC will be eligible.

When will Dead Kings be available?

We have not yet announced a release date for this DLC, but it is coming soon.

How do I get the Dead Kings DLC*?

Xbox One

Once available, the Dead Kings DLC will be listed as an add-on in the Xbox One Marketplace. There will also be a link from the in-game menu.

PlayStation 4

Once available, the Dead Kings DLC will be listed as an add-on in the PlayStation store. You will also find a link from the in-game menu.

PC

Once available, the Dead Kings DLC will be listed as an add-on within Uplay or in the Steam store from the ACU product page depending on where you purchased the game. You will also find a link from the in-game menu.

Am I eligible to receive a free Ubisoft game?

If you purchased the Season Pass or Assassin’s Creed Unity Gold Edition (which includes the Season Pass), you are eligible to choose one free game from among a select list of Ubisoft titles.* These are:

The Crew
Far Cry 4
Watch Dogs
Assassin’s Creed Black Flag
Rayman Legends
Just Dance 2015
We are currently setting up the system to process this offer. We will provide an update on how to claim your free game soon.

What about the other content from the Season Pass?

Season Pass holders will continue to have access to a variety of additional content, including Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China.

Is the Season Pass still available for sale?

We are discontinuing sales of the Season Pass.

* FREE DLC AND FREE GAME AVAILABLE ON UPLAY, STEAM, XBOX LIVE, AND/OR PLAYSTATION NETWORK. FREE GAME TO BE REDEEMED BY NO LATER THAN MARCH 15, 2015. LIMITED TO ONE OFFER PER PERSON. INTERNET CONNECTION AND ACCOUNT (UPLAY, STEAM, XBOX LIVE, AND/OR PLAYSTATION NETWORK) REQUIRED TO USE/PLAY DOWNLOAD. OFFER MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED, EXCHANGED, SOLD OR REDEEMED FOR CASH OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES. MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON. PRODUCT SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY. SPECIFIC LIST OF GAMES AVAILABLE FOR FREE MAY VARY PER COUNTRY AND PLATFORM. FREE GAME LIMITED TO PLATFORM ON WHICH ASSASSIN’S CREED UNITY WAS INITIALLY PURCHASED. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. YOU MUST MEET THE MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENTS, WHICH VARY BY COUNTRY, TO REGISTER FOR AN ACCOUNT. IN ADDITION, UBISOFT’S TERMS OF USE AS POSTED ON UBI.COM APPLY.

http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-CA/community/liveupdates/live_updates_details.aspx?c=tcm:164-186650-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

---

15697725958_d1d0795768_o.png

A German website claims the Season Pass got cancelled. You get a Ubisoft game as a refund. All buyers of the console version will get the DLC "The Dead Kings" for free:

http://www.gamersglobal.de/news/93423/ac-unity-ubisoft-stampft-season-pass-ein-entschaedigung
https://steamdb.info/app/324330/history/
Removed store name – Assassin’s Creed® Unity Season Pass

Confirmed removed from Steam.
Uplay link for DLC does not work.

Also apparently removed from PSN and XBL.

Interesting decision if true. I wonder what'll happen.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Or they could refund you in the form you paid with...

"lol, how to we boost The Crew sales?"

Isn't most of the DLC usually done before a game is released? Has a Season Pass ever been cancelled after the game hits retail?

I guess they are moving resources from creating new content to fix what's already there. Sucks for those who already bought it though.

Isn't most of the DLC usually done before a game is released? Has a Season Pass ever been cancelled after the game hits retail?
Ideally, it's the other way around. Some do of course gate existing content as DLC, but it's a really bad practice (and one AAA publishers love to follow).

Darklord

Banned
A German website claims the Season Pass got cancelled. You get a Ubisoft game as a refund.

Umm, pretty sure that's illegal. If you buy something and the business doesn't prove it they can't just give you something else. You get your money back as a full refund.

So they aren't giving you the money back just forcing you to take another one of their games? Pretty shitty, but I guess they have to boost their software sales somehow..

RoKKeR

Pretty crazy if true.

It's disappeared from both PSN and XBL too, correct?

Edit: This also tells me that the game is tanking and we'll be seeing good deals going forward... which I'll gladly jump on.

I'm going to need confirmation for this before I can really believe it. I have to imagine Unity sold well, despite its issues, just being an AC game. And if it sold well why wouldn't they try to get more money out of people?

Sir TapTap

Depends entirely on the game. Borderlands' stuff was definitely post-game release, and also by external developers.

This IS The first I've heard of a season pass being canceled though, if it is in fact true. I kinda doubt it though, Ubisoft loves them season passes.

Does this mean Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China is cancelled? Or did Ubi want to give everyone Dead Kings as a "apology" and saw there wasn't enough content to release to justify the season pass and split everything up?

wildfire

Banned
I imagine several executives/managers at Ubisoft received an early retirement or reassigned to nowhere projects if things got this bad.

I imagine that they saw more money selling the 2d AC game on its own instead of packing into a season pass. Either that or the development of it only produced garbage water so they cancelled it.

Uh-oh. This won't go over well...

Maybe they decided to take the man power off of DLC for this game so that they can actually finish their next AC and avoid another Unity debacle.

fernoca

Planing/work usually starts before release, but is not finished until after.

Not similar but, the Season Pass of Arkham Origins for the Wii U was cancelled and buyers refunded...without notice (at first).

Got the Season Pass, love Unity. Disappointing. At least the first half will be given for free and the 2D game might end as a standalone release.

mclem

Usually the art side of it is started on before the game is released, because artists are less necessary for the game in the closing months. Whether the DLC itself is completed before release depends on the nature of the DLC - if it's mostly art (skins, LBP costumes, horse armour) then it might be, but anything that needs programmer involvement is likely to be held back until the programmers are actually free to work on it.

Grisby

Wow.

Hopefully they give that 2d game a real release. Couldn't tell much from the short bit of it but I was interested in the time period and character.

Does this mean Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China is cancelled? Or did Ubi want to give everyone Dead Kings as a "apology" and saw there wasn't enough content to release to justify the season pass and split everything up?

I was about to say this,I wonder what happens to that game and that studio that is making it.

Top Bottom