• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Football Manager series |OT| Mourinwho?

Nyx

Football-Manager-2016-Main.jpg

In this thread we can discuss any version of the best footy manager game ever made.

It all started in 1992 when two brothers, Paul and Oliver Collyer, decided to make a new football manager game, it was called ''Championship Manager'' and these two wrote the entire game in their bedroom at home before founding a development company to take the game further, Sports Interactive.
''Championship Manager'' became the most popular footy manager game in the 90s and 00s with several sales records, before SI split with publisher Eidos in 2003. After that SI went on with the game under a new name, ''Football Manager'', which it still uses today.

''So where the hell are the quarterbacks then?'' you might think, but no, this is a game about football, not football.

In this game you will be the manager of a football club, from almost any country in the world, in any league in the world... (well, almost I said!)

''And what does a football manager do?''

Well to get this out of the way, read spreadsheets, a whole lot of spreadsheets.
Another thing a football manager does is to press ''continue game'', yes, you will be pressing that ''just one more time'' a lot of times...

''Okay but now seriously?''

I was very serious but okay, things you can expect are buying/selling players, training them, creating a tactic for them, keeping them happy and motivated, renewing or ripping apart their contracts, heck you even have to send them home when they get the flu!

''And this is supposed to be fun?''

Oh yes! This game-series has wrecked marriages, got people fired from their real life jobs, and it's even played by REAL football managers and players!
On a personal note, since the 1997/98 version I have spent 1000s and 1000s of hours playing these games, and I probably will still do so when I am in the retirement home in a year of 30...

There's also a documentary on this game-series, the trailer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsGR89gzYhE

''Okay sounds good, but how does it look?''

Screenshots of the latest version, FM16, incoming:

Also, an overview on NEW features in FM16 right here: http://www.footballmanager.com/games/football-manager-2016/key-features

''Okay, I am interested, now what?''

You can get the game on PC, MAC, Vita, iOS and Android.
But the Vita, iOS and Android versions are toned down, less options and smaller database.

Every year there's a new game, with major and/or minor updates to the game itself and ofcourse the latest data from the real world. (transfers etc)

If you want to start this series but don't want to pay full price you can definitely go for an older version, there's tons of websites dedicated to the game which will also have update data for older versions. So you can play with the latest transfers in an older version of the game if you want.

And do those websites have more stuff?

For sure, you can grab logo's, facepacks, kit-packs, new skins etc at f.e. :

www.sortioutsi.net
www.ftr.soccergamers.net
http://community.sigames.com (official forum)
www.fm-base.co.uk
http://sisportscentre.com/ (indepth articles/tutorials on training, tactics, player development etc)

Here you can also find indepth guides on most ingame stuff.

So why a thread about the whole series and not just FM16?

There have been threads about just one version before, but they usually die pretty fast, that's why I thought I'd try this way, in this topic you can discuss any FM version there is, if it's FM09 or FM15 Android, share you stories and ask your questions right here.

Nyx

Currently busy with a FM15 Career game with my fav club, FC Utrecht.
Not at home so I will upload some screenshots later on, but so far so good..

Finished season 2 last night and grabbed the 2nd place in the Dutch League, which was actually worse than in my 1st season as we have been crowned champions already then. (which never happened before in a FM game with Utrecht..)
But in season 2 we won the Dutch Cup, so all is fine as the board expected a respectable league position and semi-final of the Cup, missions accomplished.

Playing with a pretty standard 4-2-3-1 tactic, 2 fast wingers, a strong striker, a creative attacking midfielder and two defensive minded central midfielders behind them.

My current line-up:

Tommy Oar – Cedric Badjeck – Miroslav Stevanovic

Yassin Ayoub – Karim Loukili – Marc Diemers

Miquel Nelom – Filip Helander – Ramon Leeuwin – Giulio Donati

Robbin Ruiter

Especially Oar and Stevanovic have been brilliant, renewed both their contracts just now so that they will be Utrecht players till the summer of 2019.

As said, I will upload some screenshots later on.
Anyone else has some stories to share?

jbwu75

Neo Member
I have been interested in playing but never took a chance. I play career mode every year on FIFA and love tweaking lineups and transfers, but I don't see myself playing on PC. So out of IOS and Vita which is better or are they pretty much the same. I would love to play something like this on the go. I'm hoping Vita version just so I can actually get to using it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I think the last version I extensively played was 2013 (the one where they introduced Classic Mode), what are the unique selling points to buy into 2015 instead of replaying 2013 other than updated data/kits?

Google

Got a good Leeds (my team) save right now in FM15.

Got promoted from the Championship in my 2nd season in 2nd place. Survived the first year in the Premiership and got a good mid-table position (think I was 10th) and got to both Semi-Final's of the cups.

Was given less than 10 million for both seasons so I've been playing a few of the kids and investing in players who have good upside and trying to sell on.

Hopefully a couple more seasons in the Premiership and my budget will get healthier.

what are the unique selling points to buy into 2015 instead of replaying 2013 other than updated data/kits?

This...

Tenebrous

I own a couple of the PC games, but never managed to get into them properly.

There was a footie manager game I used to play on my PC around the turn of the century, where you'd have to pick the best advertisement boards for your stadium to maximize revenue - Was that a Football Manager game, or something different entirely?

The Android/iOS game I saw didn't have the option to buy it outright, but instead sold the youth academy system on a game by game basis as a freemium style DLC... That put me off entirely.

Nyx

Yay, replies! :D

My 2 top players atm:

I4hNNnh.png

Oar got 13 goals and 4 assists last season.

4UYRq4e.png

Stevanovic got 15 goals and 14 assists last season, got this fella on a free transfer at the start of the game, what a bargain.

I have been interested in playing but never took a chance. I play career mode every year on FIFA and love tweaking lineups and transfers, but I don't see myself playing on PC. So out of IOS and Vita which is better or are they pretty much the same. I would love to play something like this on the go. I'm hoping Vita version just so I can actually get to using it.

I think the iOS and Vita versions are the same game.

I think the last version I extensively played was 2013 (the one where they introduced Classic Mode), what are the unique selling points to buy into 2015 instead of replaying 2013 other than updated data/kits?

Good question, the match engine has been revised I think, it has a better 3D implementation at least. (while I mostly play with commentary only)
For the rest, more media options, more player conversation options, reworked UI...

gngf123

I should really get into FM again. Haven't played since 2013 I think.

This series used to just destroy my free time. Started back in the early championship manager days and have played many hours in different versions.

Google

There was a footie manager game I used to play on my PC around the turn of the century, where you'd have to pick the best advertisement boards for your stadium to maximize revenue - Was that a Football Manager game, or something different entirely?

Definately not a FM.

Could of been any of the dozen games.

Probably Ultimate Football Manager of Premier Manager?

Matty8787

Started an unemployed game with Hyde, got them promoted first season to the Conference and then finished 11th in the first season there.

Was happy to stay but then realised a couple of league 2 clubs were interested in me but couldn't afford my compensation so I resigned and was promptly offered the Southend job which I took and currently I am in first place after the first 16 games!

I signed 14 players for the first team too, so happy they are gelling relatively quick.

stay gold

I should really get into FM again. Haven't played since 2013 I think.

Same. It got to the point with me where id lose interest as soon as the transfer window closed. I might give FM15 a go.

I think I still have a copy of FM05 signed by Shola Ameobi somewhere. My prize gaming possession lmao.

Upinsmoke

First football manager game I haven't bought, and first management sim I haven't bought since 1999.

01/02 was phenomenal back on the championship manager days and My favourite football manager is 2009, I liked them all up until 2013. But the ME is literally eating itself now.

Really happy to see a fm thread though.

Nyx

If anyone has suggestions on the OP feel free to share them.
I'm not your usual GAF OP Pro. ;-)

OP looks great, nice job!

I've put a fair amount of time since the 2011 version. Took 2014 off though, and I'm finding FM2015 to be a FANTASTIC update. Everything seems a bit more streamlined/clean.

Had a really ridiculous goal happen (sorry for the low settings and crappy upload resolution):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MydRctYKYfc

Having some fun playing in the MLS.

AND, for the record, the game runs beautifully on a Surface Pro 1.

Nyx

Haha that's a nice 'assist' :D

Just got offered a job at Liverpool, time to save this game so I can continue with Utrecht later on. But for now, a transferbudget of 45m and the fact it's a big club like Liverpool, I will have to accept !

Google

Yeah, I really like the new UI. It's been in need of updating for a few years.

Still wish there was more feedback on how/when/what my players are doing at any given time.

Why did that goal get scored? How did that player make a mistake. Why did he miss that tackle, etc.

There's no way to know if the ball went into the net because the player was too good or the defender too bad.

DrunkDan

I honestly think that a few good seasons with my team (Millwall) and I'd be in with a shout at the real job. Can't be any worse at the moment haha.

Roybr

My most played series ever. Playing with Granada in La Liga right now. I took a break, but I'm 7 seasons in.

Simzyy

Consider yourself lucky...

7oXDsdB.jpg

That image is quite old (2014 is now over 300 hours played), and doesn't even include the hours spent on the older versions. It's a horrible horrible
wonderful
addiction.

Kinan

if i am not mistaken, the FM Classic 2014 for Vita is in January PSN sale. Get it while you still can, it is unlikely we will get a new Classic Vita version and Handheld edition is rather simplified.

robertoci

The Android/iOS game I saw didn't have the option to buy it outright, but instead sold the youth academy system on a game by game basis as a freemium style DLC... That put me off entirely.

That game with the Advertising boards sounds like either USM 98-99 (awesome game) or Fifa Manager (pretty decent)

Tenebrous

7oXDsdB.jpg

That image is quite old (2014 is now over 300 hours played), and doesn't even include the hours spent on the older versions. It's a horrible horrible
wonderful
addiction.

That's not too bad in comparison to my time with Blizzard games, haha.

This thread has inspired me... It's time to lead Liverpool to the Premier League title, as lord knows Brendan Rodgers isn't gonna do it.

raven777

7oXDsdB.jpg

wonderful
addiction.

KqW2218.jpg

I skipped 2013 because I was playing 2012 for too long.

FootballFan

That's not too bad in comparison to my time with Blizzard games, haha.

This thread has inspired me... It's time to lead Liverpool to the Premier League title, as lord knows Brendan Rodgers isn't gonna do it.

m8 don't talk about brendan that way.

you're lucky Arnie doesn't read this thread.

#InBrendanWeTrust

First CM I played was 95/96 I believe, last one being 2012. I only bought it so I could buy half the Athletic Bilbao side after they merked us in the Europa League, but over 600hrs later i'm still playing. 2015 looks like too much of a hassle to me, not even the prospect of Wilson is tempting me enough to buy it.

Maybe LMA Manager or FIFA Manager.

Effing brilliant series, got sucked into fmh14, then took the big boy plunge into the mainline product. Rochdale, season 1, fifth place, December 2015...loving it

Jackano

Like every two years since 2002, I'm completely sucked into it again!

This year I wanted to improve my knowledge in the tactics field, and I think I'm getting better.

I've managed to get one of the best staff I ever got (I think, but it seems in FM15 this is harder to have 5* coaches and their workload seems higher):

Anyway I'm already far (206/2027), regens everywhere :) This is when I prefere the game :)

Jackano

I really suck at this. I start off well then my team just crashes around midway and doesn't recover.

It's an usual pitfall. I think your guys are tired (the hidden, global tiredness). You give them too much training workload and not enough free days and it shows after ~15 matchs.

You can't suck as much as me... First team meeting, and no players reacted well - Eighteen reacted badly, haha.

oh god. what a start.

It's an usual pitfall. I think your guys are tired (the hidden, global tiredness). You give them too much training workload and not enough free days and it shows after ~15 matchs.

I usually gave them before and after the match off and turned the training down and even then. I'll have to play with it more.

Nyx

So as I mentioned yesterday I got the Liverpool job in my 3rd season as a manager.
With a 54m (made a typo last night) transferbudget I would be able to get a great team together I thought.

But then I checked out my squad, ho-ly shit....

GK Mignolet

DR Flanagan
DC Lovren
DC Sakho
DL Santon

MC Verrati
MC Henderson

AML Insigne
AMC Coutinho
AMR Sterling

ST Sturridge

Sub1 Mannone
Sub2 Husband (bought him)
Sub3 Martins Indi (bought him)
Sub4 Allen
Sub5 Suso
Sub6 Depay
Sub7 Origi

And in the first 5 Premier League games (of which I won 4 and drawn 1), Daniel Sturridge got 3 hat-tricks and a total of 11 goals haha.

if i am not mistaken, the FM Classic 2014 for Vita is in January PSN sale. Get it while you still can, it is unlikely we will get a new Classic Vita version and Handheld edition is rather simplified.

Not anymore! Not only has the sale ended, the game was pulled from PSN due to expiring licenses. It's gone from both European and North American PlayStation Stores.

NA listing
EU listing, another EU link but results in an error
No purchase buttons on both listings.

The only way to buy the Vita version now is the gamecard version only sold in some European countries.

admartian

Not anymore! Not only has the sale ended, the game was pulled from PSN due to expiring licenses. It's gone from both European and North American PlayStation Stores.

NA listing
EU listing
No purchase buttons on both listings.

The only way to buy the Vita version now is the gamecard version only sold in some European countries.

What if I've already bought it?

Anyway an OT I can participate in properly! :p

Trying a new save - thinking of doing a Portsmouth back to the EPL salvage save.

Nyx

Man it's been awhile since I managed a big club like Liverpool in FM...

Had to play an Europa League game 3 days before an away match in the EPL again Man City, so I decided to use 11 reserves in the EL match, won with 5-0 from Dinamo Bucharest...

One of the greatest things about FM is buying players that are not well-known but at this moment I wouldn't even know for which position I ''need'' a new player? I already have a topteam haha..

Anyway, I'm enjoying myself but the next save will be with a lower league team.

admartian

Man it's been awhile since I managed a big club like Liverpool in FM...

Had to play an Europa League game 3 days before an away match in the EPL again Man City, so I decided to use 11 reserves in the EL match, won with 5-0 from Dinamo Bucharest...

One of the greatest things about FM is buying players that are not well-known but at this moment I wouldn't even know for which position I ''need'' a new player? I already have a topteam haha..

Anyway, I'm enjoying myself but the next save will be with a lower league team.

Haha that's one of the best feelings - winning with a a completely new (reserve) 11. I always get paranoid thoguh, is do I bring on first team regulars early enough so they get some game time before a big match?

Started a save with Basel. Should be interesting.

xandaca

I've got 1,264 hours (~53 days) on FM 2010. I'm hoping Steam's made a mistake, because that's frankly terrifying even if I do have the game on in the background whenever I'm using my laptop.

(I'm at 284 on FM14, the version I'm currently playing)

admartian

I've got 1,264 hours (~53 days) on FM 2010. I'm hoping Steam's made a mistake, because that's frankly terrifying even if I do have the game on in the background whenever I'm using my laptop.

(I'm at 284 on FM14, the version I'm currently playing)

No I'm sure it counts the background. I have around ~1400 hours for FM14. I have a laptop that used to (doesn't anymore) load the game in about 10-15 mins, so I'd fire it up and eave it until I can load the game (it ran fine, just the initial startup was slow). Lading normally now.

Plus sometimes I'll have it just sitting in front of me, scrolling, scouting, tinkering etc when I'm playing on PS4 or on Netflix.

Jackano

I'm not sad bc I'm not into useless achievements as all achievements are, but made a mistake today. I got my forward out at the 60th and he was at 5 goals; There is an achievement for double hat-trick :/

Anyway, won 8-0 in a derby after some clash in the media with that P. Le Guen b*****d from the LOSC.
It's my 11th season and finally in "beast" mode. Thanks Osvaldo Nepote, a regen FW from Argentina.

admartian

What's the fucking point of telling your guys you're disappointed? 4 games in a row we shouldve won and they fucking cant get it in their stupid heads to play better.

Game cheats. Only one way to combat that. :\

EDIT:
The amount of blocked shots. My god the blocked shots. Players in FM, if they were real, would be red after 10 mins of a game...

Tenebrous

League Form... P6, W1, D1, L4.

Looks like I can't manager Liverpool after all. Looking forward to seeing what happens when I get sacked, haha.

Top Bottom