• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Greyhound” - Tom Hanks World War II naval combat flick

Screenplay by Tom Hanks

Coming to theaters June 12

A tale of the battles of the Atlantic

The only thing more dangerous than the front lines was the fight to get there. Screenplay by Tom Hanks inspired by actual events, Greyhound comes to theaters June 12.

In the early days of WWII, an international convoy of 37 Allied ships, led by captain Ernest Krause (Tom Hanks) in his first command of a U.S. destroyer, crosses the treacherous North Atlantic while hotly pursued by wolf packs of Nazi U-boats.

Starring:

Tom Hanks, Stephen Graham, Rob Morgan, and Elisabeth Shue

Directed by

Aaron Schneider

Based on the novel

"The Good Shepherd" by C.S. Forester

———————————-

Movie is heading to Apple+

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
ec5565b5514cca5148c437a9b39a76a7.gif

mcz117chief

That lost shot is weird. Torpedoes were usually launched with magnetic fuses 4-8 meters below the water line to strike the keel, but whatever. I'm still more interested in Mel Gibson's movie about the USS Laffey in the Pacific. That one will be savage AF!

jason10mm

Gold Member
That lost shot is weird. Torpedoes were usually launched with magnetic fuses 4-8 meters below the water line to strike the keel, but whatever. I'm still more interested in Mel Gibson's movie about the USS Laffey in the Pacific. That one will be savage AF!

Torpedoes of this era could have magnetic or direct contact fuses. Both sides had significant issues with magnetic fuses. And german direct contact fuses could be defeated in a way similar to what is shown in the film.

Prison Mike

Banned

Screenplay by Tom Hanks

Coming to theaters June 12

A tale of the battles of the Atlantic

The only thing more dangerous than the front lines was the fight to get there. Screenplay by Tom Hanks inspired by actual events, Greyhound comes to theaters June 12.

In the early days of WWII, an international convoy of 37 Allied ships, led by captain Ernest Krause (Tom Hanks) in his first command of a U.S. destroyer, crosses the treacherous North Atlantic while hotly pursued by wolf packs of Nazi U-boats.

Starring:

Tom Hanks, Stephen Graham, Rob Morgan, and Elisabeth Shue

Directed by

Aaron Schneider

Based on the novel

"The Good Shepherd" by C.S. Forester

Stephen Graham...... Count me in

Honestly this is one of the worst WW2 movies ever made. I knew it was going to be bad when a German u-boat was on screen for the first time and the director decided that was the right time to play spooky music. And then each time after that, the same thing. German u-boat = spooky music. It just got worse from then on. They even had the u-boat captain verbally taunting Tom Hanks' character throughout the movie in the same manner a silly James Bond villain would. Just absurd. Realism was apparently not their goal.

Kenpachii

Watched it and frankly not that good. Just wanted it to be over with at the end. Probably one of the worst movies i saw with hanks in it. The drama etc simple just felt off completely.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Honestly this is one of the worst WW2 movies ever made. I knew it was going to be bad when a German u-boat was on screen for the first time and the director decided that was the right time to play spooky music. And then each time after that, the same thing. German u-boat = spooky music. It just got worse from then on. They even had the u-boat captain verbally taunting Tom Hanks' character throughout the movie in the same manner a silly James Bond villain would. Just absurd. Realism was apparently not their goal.

Yes because we're supposed to feel bad for the Nazis. 🤡

This is an 80 minutes long action scene and it's awesome. If you're a guy you're going to love it.

It's WWII Master and Commander. Wish it was released in theaters, the sound is fucking awesome and needs to be heard on a IMAX system.

Last edited:

I haven't seen the movie, but I will say that mainstream cinema is just hard to watch most of the time. (there are exceptions of course) As I grew up I started feeling that way, and that sensation has only intensified as I've gotten older. It's mostly mindless cartoon distraction. I'm not saying it's wrong to enjoy it for what it is, but it's not for me.

Top Bottom