• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Monster Trucks’ Projected To Lose $115 Million For Paramount Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

‘Monster Trucks’ Projected To Lose $115 Million For Paramount Pictures

monstertrucks-till-monster-700x415.jpg

All the major studios are having conference calls and meetings with their investors this week to talk about the upcoming fourth quarter of the fiscal year. Disney downplayed the expectations of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story a bit; Netflix talked about eventually having 50% of their library made up of original programming, and now Paramount Pictures has delivered some troubling but unsurprising news about one of their upcoming projects.

The family friendly action adventure movie Monster Trucks is projected to lose Paramount Pictures around $115 million. The movie doesn’t even hit theaters until January 13, 2017 and the studio is already expecting it to hit the box office below initial expectations.
The projected stumbling of Monster Trucks should come as no surprise since Paramount Pictures has delayed the film over a year already. The project was initially set for release on May 29, 2015; then it ended up getting pushed back to December 25, 2015. Then it was pushed back another year for release this coming January, a month that is usually a dumping ground for bad comedy and horror release and the movies Hollywood doesn’t know what to do with.

The concept behind Monster Trucks is an interesting one as it follows a couple of older teens (Lucas Till and Jane Levy) who stumble upon some kind of alien creature with the ability to hide inside and control automobiles. More specifically, the creature ends up getting comfortable inside of some heavy duty trucks. Of course, the government (led by Holt McCallany) ends up in pursuit, as they always do, and the kids and the creature end up on the run, getting a little help from Danny Glover along the way. The rest of the cast includes Barry Pepper, Amy Ryan, and Rob Lowe.

FoneBone

The project was initially set for release on May 29, 2015; then it ended up getting pushed back to December 25, 2015. Then it was pushed back another year for release this coming January,
The author skipped a delay; it was moved from Christmas 2015 to March 2016, before getting delayed again to January 2017. So it's actually had four release dates.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hey, remember Herby? Well, we got your Herby, but now there are MONSTERS inside those cars!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The concept behind Monster Trucks is an interesting one as it follows a couple of older teens (Lucas Till and Jane Levy) who stumble upon some kind of alien creature with the ability to hide inside and control automobiles. More specifically, the creature ends up getting comfortable inside of some heavy duty trucks. Of course, the government (led by Holt McCallany) ends up in pursuit, as they always do, and the kids and the creature end up on the run, getting a little help from Danny Glover along the way. The rest of the cast includes Barry Pepper, Amy Ryan, and Rob Lowe.

The concept behind Monster Trucks is an interesting one

an interesting one

No.

kmfdmpig

I saw a preview of this before Kubo or Dory and it looked ridiculous. It's a good sign something is going to be bad when my 7 year old daughter, who is still easy to please with movies, turns to me after a preview and says "that looks dumb, doesn't it?".

kmfdmpig

I'd guess that this must be their attempt to get some of the Transformers money. If they watched those and thought that Shia and Bumblebee's interactions were the reason those made a ton of money then they really didn't have a good read on the market.

Paramount really going through hard times. I mean they just take one L after another. Better pray Jobody gets wise to how awful the transformers movies are

El Topo

How could anyone think this movie would be a good idea at that budget? How? What was going on in their heads? Were they snorting cocaine when they signed the contracts for this?

How could anyone think this movie would be a good idea at that budget? How? What was going on in their heads? Were they snorting cocaine when they signed the contracts for this?

Seriously. I don't have a problem with the premise (it's a movie for kids and I've watched waaaaay worse stuff as a child), but the budget? What on earth were they thinking?

Galang

Banned
I saw the preview for this during Kubo... Most cringy shit ever. How the hell did paramount think this would do well at ALL let alone spend that much money on this?... I'd think this concept was stupid even if I was five

PSqueak

Banned
I had forgotten this movie was a thing, i also assumed it had already premiered, tanked and forgotten, no idea it was being held back.

By the way, anybody wondering why this is a thing, the concept it's basically based on Attack Pack

If the studio is expecting it to miss expectations by $115 million...

... how does this crap get greenlit?

Even my son who is obsessed with cars said "daddy this looks terrible"

I read the thread title, thought "What the fuck is Monster Trucks?"

Opened the thread, realized I actually have seen the trailer for this. What the hell were they thinking?

Ridley327

Paramount spent over $100 million on a film that Robert Rodriguez could have done at $20 million and, in all likelihood, look the exact same.

These people are not to be trusted with money.

"I have this pitch! It's a movie about monsters taking over trucks, turning them into literal monster trucks"
"Great! You get 100m!"

"Why is this movie gonna bomb?"
"Well because it's a movie about monsters taking over trucks, that turns them into literal monster trucks. Also it cost 100m".

At the same time, Del Toro couldn't get funding for At the mountains of madness because it would be too risky with an R-rating and Tom-fucking-Cruise.

kswiston

They probably hoped for another Transformers

Transformers was at least aimed at general audiences like all of the comic book stuff. If you've seen a trailer for Monster Trucks, it looks like something you'd see on Disney XD with better effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom