• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Superman: The Movie’ Extended Cut Set For Blu-Ray Release

Link.

Warner Archive has announced the extended cut of Superman: The Movie is set to arrive later this year along with the special edition of the film in a 2-film Blu-ray collection.

The extended cut which clocks in at 188 minutes comes packed with extras including commentary from director Richard Donner, three documentaries, screen tests, as well as restored and deleted scenes, and more.

You can check out the full list of special features along with the official description of the 2-film collection and the cover art below.

superman-2-film3ppn8.jpg

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE – EXTENDED CUT & SPECIAL EDITION 2-FILM COLLECTION (1978, 2000)
Run Time:
188 Minutes – EXTENDED CUT (NEW 2017 1080p HD MASTER)
151 Minutes – SPECIAL EDITION
Subtitles: Spanish, French, English SDH
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 – English (EXTENDED CUT)
DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 – English, DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND 5.1 – French, DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND 5.1 – Spanish
ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO – 2.40:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
COLOR
2-BD 50
Special Features (on Superman The Special Edition Disc):
Commentary by Director Richard Donner and Creative Consultant Tom Mankiewicz;
3 Documentaries Taking Flight: The Development of Superman, Making Superman: Filming the Legend and The Magic Behind the Cape;
Screen Tests;
Restored Scenes;
Additional Scenes;
Additional Music Cues;
Music-Only Track

Decades before blockbuster Extended Cuts were common, Superman proved a true “Man of Tomorrow.” Superman: The Movie received an ahead-of-its-time makeover for its television premiere – nearly 40 more minutes of story, creating a two-night television event. Audiences had already been swept off their feet by Christopher Reeve’s Last Son of Krypton, and now there was more to enjoy. Unseen in decades, this version is paired here with Richard Donner’s definitive vision of his film, the Special Edition Director’s Cut (2000), to create a supersized celebration of Metropolis’ favorite son that preserves the director’s intent while feeding superfan demands.

I had no idea there was a third version of this film. I'll probably get it just out of curiosity but I won't be expecting much from it, there's probably a reason those scenes were cut. Too bad the theatrical version isn't in there as well.

Lynd7

First time I've heard of a TV extended cut. Does anyone know exactly what extra material it contains?

I had to triple check after reading the description because I really thought it was a collection of the first two Superman movies (1 & 2) when I saw the Blu-Ray cover.

Cafeman

Sounds like we get to see Luther feed his babies again. That scene has been missing since that 2 night broadcast. I remember his missiles chase was extended too.

Penguin

I'm intrigued by the former, but from what I remember/seen, it doesn't really add a ton of new... I think it's Superman's trials while entering Lex's lair and some more stuff with Miss Teschmucher

liquidtmd

Banned
From wiki

Apparently, in their contract with ABC, the Salkinds were able to get money for every minute of footage shown on TV.[57] So as a result, they crammed in as much footage as possible for the TV networks in order to maximize their revenues.

During production of the film, Alexander and Ilya had been relegated to having to sell more and more of their rights back to Warner Bros. in exchange for financial help.[citation needed] Director Richard Donner was not consulted[71] on any of the extended versions. However, due to a clause in his contract, Donner's name remains in the credits.

Woof!

The quality of the extended network TV version is inferior to any theatrical or current home video release because it was mastered in 16mm (using the "film chain system") and a mono sound mix done, as by the time the extended cut was prepared in 1981, stereo was not available in television broadcasts. Eight of the 45 minutes of extended scenes that were used in the later 2000 director's cut restoration were taken from restored elements.

Wonder if the 16mm will be the basis for the new master or they went back to the 35mm elements.

Extended cut? I'm not sure what else there is to extend. Seems fairly pointless anyway, other then that fact that it was done for TV purposes, since the film aired over two nights.

Wish these companies would put a bit more effort working on the covers of these home releases.

Warner archives, which says a lot, considering its Superman: The Movie. They don't seem to care about it THAT much, even with the extended cut attached.

*hums the John William's theme*

"Duh, duh, duh, duh!"

Yeah, this is isn't gonna be very good. It's basically every deleted scene they had just shoved back into the film.

It's almost an assembly cut more than anything.

Crazy that the theatrical isn't being represented at all, since it's still the best version of the film

WB is just going to start including the clapboard clapper at the beginning of every shot to pad their movie lengths out an extra 10 minutes.

Blader

Seems odd that they would put this out now and not wait until next year to do a 40th anniversary blitz around it.

Seems odd that they would put this out now and not wait until next year to do a 40th anniversary blitz around it.

They'll probably do a whole thing when Justice League hits blu and tie it in with that, since technically the film is the 3rd part of a Superman trilogy.

But this extended version is... eh. It's the KCOP cut, right? it sounds like the KCOP cut.

(This is probably the first version of this film I ever saw, when I was like 4 years old. And even then I don't remember the film actually ending. At some point I wandered away to go play Superman instead)

WB is just going to start including the clapboard clapper at the beginning of every shot to pad their movie lengths out an extra 10 minutes.

Depending on which version of the KCOP cut they want to restore, you could get a version where the film's end credits play halfway through the film, and then the main titles play again, and then a short recap of the first half of the film plays, and then the second half of the movie starts.

Sephzilla

Yeah, this is isn't gonna be very good. It's basically every deleted scene they had just shoved back into the film.

It's almost an assembly cut more than anything.

Crazy that the theatrical isn't being represented at all, since it's still the best version of the film

Yeah I'm with you on this, those scenes were deleted for a reason

It's also funny how WB is trying to market the Salkinds being fuckin sleazedicks as some sort of ahead-of-its-time landmark moment in cinema history.

MisterHero

I like the part where Luthor tests Superman's durability while closing in on his hideout. Don't remember the rest of the cut stuff though

Tomita

It'll pretty rad to be able to get our hands on this, especially for those people who have fond memories of watching it on TV back in the day. For me, though, I'd probably just want to watch it once out of curiosity and then be done with it. Even though the cut was done for ridiculous reasons, it's still nice to get a home release of it.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Hmmm could you imagine a bluray package like this, but for the special and theatrical editions of the original Star Wars trilogy? (It's nice to want things.)

wazoo

Extended Cut just means "what happens if no one is making any editing on that movie".

The original movie is already quite long and slow, and those scenes were removed for a reason.

Ive always been curious about the deleted scenes I've read about in the past. I thought Supes lifting Jimmy up from the collapsed dam to take a pic was a nice touch. Might pick this up.

wazoo

The best version is the Donner Cut, which is already available on BR.

As said on Bluray.com

" Donner and the restoration team knew what to put back for the story's sake and what to leave out. Their goal was to improve the movie, whereas the Salkinds' choices were driven by how much they could charge ABC and other stations for each additional minute."

Top Bottom