• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“The GAF Collection” – Weekend Photoshop Thread

Bernbaum

I liked alr1ghtstart's second MGS pic, but I don't think we've yet had any for:

dzt208.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
WHOA @ all the latest covers.

Also, one joke entry (sorry, a friend of mine linked me the pic and I couldn't keep myself from using it :lol), text link only not to derail this thread :p

zaidr

alistairw said:
That's awesome. Looks like it should be a Nick Hornby book :lol

Thanks! I don't think you can see the blob beside the boy cause he's white and too blurred out. oh well.

and Mik, is that the actual name of the game? crap.

lets just say its the unreleased Wii version?

Edit:
I just came to me. About a boy. A Boy and his Blob. :lol

Damodar

zaidr said:
Thanks! I don't think you can see the blob beside the boy cause he's white and too blurred out. oh well.

and Mik, is that the actual name of the game? crap.

lets just say its the unreleased Wii version?

Nah, About a Boy and his Blob was a reference to the Nick Hornby book "About a boy" coz it really does look like one of his book covers.

Nice work, really cool idea. :D

amar212

I know nobody's going to do it, so I did it.

I'Ve tried to mantain the philosophy of original covers as were released in PAL.

2myt151.jpg

Willeth

amar212 said:
I know nobody's going to do it, so I did it.

I'Ve tried to mantain the philosophy of original covers as were released in PAL.

2myt151.jpg
I love them all except 4. It doesn't seem to fit with the rest.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
_dementia said:
16lbgxu.jpg

The game is obviously Symphony of the Night. Don't mind the small mistake in the red band (Konami instead of Capcom), it was already there.

bard

A little too in-your-face, I think, but it's kinda neat.
tf2-boxart.png

By the way, awesome work everyone, I'm stunned by what I'm seeing in here!

larvi

Willeth said:
Exactly. And while I'm on the music thing:

2n99t6o.jpg

Source images here and here.

I probably need to clean up the perspective on this. The blue and orange notes are further than the should be.

Nice..maybe that can be the cover for the Judas Priest edition :D

DSCN8343e.JPG

adg1034

Just a heads-up: this has been working its way through Twitter over the past week, and has now made it onto the front page of the Joyous Stick. I imagine a good old-fashioned Digging is not far behind.

Also, I have no Photoshop-fu, but I think an awesome entry could be made for Metroid Prime with just a stylized version of Phendrana Drifts- those iconic floating ice platforms, maybe with an outline of Samus jumping between them.

adg1034

Josh7289 said:
Why in the fuck is Joistiq banned?

Long story. One 'Stiq writer, Robert Summa, hyped up the announcement that the Hollywood and Broadway chips that power the Wii had gone into production. The internet took the announcement of an announcement and went into overspeculation mode, as it always does. When news broke over what it really was, people overreacted again, blaming the failings on the 'Stiq as a whole, not on the hack writer who started everything in the first place.

Now, to be fair, after this happened, Summa was fired from his position as a sometimes-contributing writer. The GAF ban probably occurred due to this rather than the newsposting itself, but I think their actions were understandable.

It's been almost three years since this happened. After we reinstated Gamespot/Eidos/Kane & Lynch off the banned list (after being associated with far worse crimes, no less), I think it's time for this prodigal site to return as well.

I'm sorry but most of these seem really really rushed in my opinion. Taking a picture from google images and putting some font overlay on it does not make a game cover. I understand that some of these are supposed to seem funny but really in my opinion they are not. I would love to see some covers made completely from scratch or somewhere close to it.

bengraven

Someone do more Criterion-ish World of Warcraft ones. Maybe a simple map of Azeroth with tiny population dots ala http://www.theglobaleducationproject.org/earth/images/final-images/g-gpw-population-map.gif this.

If I had Photoshop skills I would do three:

WoW: Azeroth with the majority of dots centered on capital cities.
WotLK: Azeroth with Northrend almost completely covered.
BC: Azeroth blank.

FnordChan said:
gaf-collection-zork-01.jpg

> FnordChan

This is the most genius one so far in my opinion.

> Bengraven

Josh7289

adg1034 said:
Long story. One 'Stiq writer, Robert Summa, hyped up the announcement that the Hollywood and Broadway chips that power the Wii had gone into production. The internet took the announcement of an announcement and went into overspeculation mode, as it always does. When news broke over what it really was, people overreacted again, blaming the failings on the 'Stiq as a whole, not on the hack writer who started everything in the first place.

Now, to be fair, after this happened, Summa was fired from his position as a sometimes-contributing writer. The GAF ban probably occurred due to this rather than the newsposting itself, but I think their actions were understandable.

It's been almost three years since this happened. After we reinstated Gamespot/Eidos/Kane & Lynch off the banned list (after being associated with far worse crimes, no less), I think it's time for this prodigal site to return as well.
I thought it was that. I can't believe the moderators here are still hung on up on that event. Seriously, that was like three centuries ago.

Unbelievable.

soultron

Banned
I would've done something a lot better, but Paint.NET is really limited in what it can do. I kept it really simple for that reason.

aces.jpg

godhand.jpg

grandyu

there are some fantastic covers doodz.

though, i'm gonna have to shit on the parade for a little bit.
I'm sure others have mentioned it, but the reason why most of these great looking covers will never work is that they're just too damn esoteric.

This then led me to wonder why book covers are allowed so much more creative freedom and meanwhile games get an orgy of collages that include the whole damn cast of the game.

I guess game coorporations (mostly western) just think the majority of the gaming population arent intelligent enough for subtlety.

perhaps the reason why japanese game covers are usually better is because there's no such condescending stigmas attached to gamers there. It makes sense, since they do have a much wider range of people that game.

Top Bottom