• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“The GAF Collection” – Weekend Photoshop Thread

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Bernbaum said:
29m6tmg.jpg
It's completely awesome.

One would hope that after SomethingAwful, 4chan, GiantBomb and now GAF (among others, no doubt) have done this that it would be the end of bad boxart for re-releases.

Bernbaum

Tetris one is brilliant.

I really don't like this one, but spent too much time on it not to post it. It's amazing how the better ideas are normally the quickest to get to 'work'.

crappy.jpg[IMG]

EDIT: Okay, realised that it works way better without the fake-looking hook and just leaving the shadow. Anyone that saw the original, would you kindly erase all memories of it :P

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/ajkrki.jpg

Bernbaum

This thread has made me realize how much of a wasted opportunity that 'Platinum' or 'Greatest Hits' box art is, especially the hideous yellow vomit adorning PS3 games with otherwise majestic artwork.

Publishers, if your game is a greatest hit, then it's already established itself in the market. Why not give the successful title a second lease of life with a new, simple but suitable cover sleeve to celebrate the achievement?

Ramenman

Oh wow, looking at some of those, that's what I always thought Collector's Edition boxarts should look like.

It would be cool if a HD link became kinda standard, for those who would like to switch them with the actual covers. It would clean the thread from the "HD LINK PLZ" posts.

McBacon said:

Oh my god. Genius.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Fantastic thread! Heres a couple Ive made with some fanart I made a while back

gaf_collection_ct.jpg

gaf_collection_x2.jpg

El Papa

Here's a Secret of Mana one. The white thing next to the title is Flammie.

som_boxart.jpg

There are some really great ones posted in here. Keep it up!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
El Papa said:
Here's a Secret of Mana one. The white thing next to the title is Flammie.

som_boxart.jpg

There are some really great ones posted in here. Keep it up!

Id put some color behind the gaf collection text so its easier to read. But I really like your choice of font :)

gaf_collection_seiken.jpg

El Papa

Raging Spaniard said:
Id put some color behind the gaf collection text so its easier to read. But I really like your choice of font :)
Thanks, it's called Dali. I had thought about the color thing but didn't bother since no one is going to print this out and use it for anything. :)

Jocchan said:
tetris.jpg
Wow, nailed it!

For my next one, I loved the original (Japanese and PAL) boxart -- the way it used the painting by Ueda himself -- but I wanted to try something entirely different with a minimalist style. It's kind of a wish fulfillment thing: I wish Greatest Hits versions did something similar, rather than adding garish colors to the original design.

jqsxw6.png

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
VGChampion said:
I'll come up with some better one's later today. :lol

http://i43.tinypic.com/n6ul8k.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I like the concept very much, but maybe you'd want to add the title somewhere.
It requires people to know it's Mirror's Edge, but this isn't a given.

[QUOTE=painey]just used the assets from my old poster, I liked the minimalistic approach.

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3578/3414686613_d7d128cc11_o.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Perfect.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Jocchan said:
The point of the Criterion Collection is that they are for people who are already massive fans of the (in this case) game. so, I think the ones that are most true to the spirit of that packaging are the ones that are a wink/nod to something that only a fan would recognize. They're intended to make the owner feel like they're part of the "in crowd" for that game. You could argue that they work better without including the game's name.

Thai

Bane was better.
I love all the covers with a byline. They add a certain amount of class to the games.

It'd be cool to have something like The Gaf Collection - Yu Suzuki.

Pringo

Banned
painey said:
just used the assets from my old poster, I liked the minimalistic approach.

3414686613_d7d128cc11_o.jpg
I really like this one. It captures what the game's about while still remaining quite minimalist. I was thinking about doing a Mirror's Edge cover since the game is just so darn stylish, but I couldn't think of one that would do the game justice. Good job.

mik said:
The point of the Criterion Collection is that they are for people who are already massive fans of the (in this case) game. so, I think the ones that are most true to the spirit of that packaging are the ones that are a wink/nod to something that only a fan would recognize. They're intended to make the owner feel like they're part of the "in crowd" for that game. You could argue that they work better without including the game's name.
While you might be correct to a certain degree, it isn't entirely accurate: a quick check of my Criterion DVDs and of their website reveals that seemingly every one of them has a title.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I'm not saying they shouldn't. I'm just saying that you shouldn't worry about someone knowing what it is without the title. If the design is iconic enough, you can definitely get away without it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
mik said:
Yes, these are all artistic covers that would fail to appeal the mass market. They're indeed destined to a crowd that knows exactly what to expect... but at the same time I feel there's still a need not to be too cryptic.
An example could be something iconic like Alistairw's Yoshi's Island boxart: it lacks a title, but it's instantly recognizable and it doesn't need one. I couldn't say the same about that Mirror's Edge entry, in my opinion adding one would be an improvement.
But yeah, just my opinion here ;)

New one:
deu1vo.jpg

EDIT:
mik said:
I'm not saying they shouldn't. I'm just saying that you shouldn't worry about someone knowing what it is without the title. If the design is iconic enough, you can definitely get away without it.
Didn't see your reply: yes, I agree completely.

EDIT 2: whoops, I forgot to change the year to 2008 :lol

mik said:
I've bought a couple Criterion movies almost exclusively because of the covers when I hadn't even seen the movie before.

Jocchan said:

Yeah, I originally had the title in there but I just couldn't find a good spot for it. It was weird for me. Couldn't find a spot where I liked the title but didn't really like it without the title. I was originally looking for the footprint but a quick search resulted in nothing. :lol

El Papa

CloakedPuppet said:
Didn't manage to get this quick one in before the Mirror's Edge one :lol
The first thing that came to my mind was "cutout filter", but I really like the idea and composition

Hesemonni

Banned
o_O

There's some seriously awesome shit in this thread. Even so that if they we're the whole package (front, back) I'd print them and replace the official ones.

Top Bottom