• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

News Drama ‘The mob was fed lies’: McConnell says Trump ‘provoked’ Capitol riots and insists inauguration will be safe

Jethalal

Banned
Dec 19, 2020
‘The mob was fed lies’: McConnell says Trump ‘provoked’ Capitol riots and insists inauguration will be safe | The Independent

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell condemned the deadly mob attacks on the Capitol earlier this month and said the riots were “provoked” by President Donald Trump during a speech on the Senate floor Monday afternoon.
“The last time the Senate convened, we had just reclaimed the Capitol from violent criminals,” Mr McConnell said. "The mob was fed lies, they were provoked by the president and other powerful people...But we pressed on. We stood together and said an angry mob would not get veto power over the rule of law in our nation, not even for one night."

“We certified the people's choice for their 46th president,” he added. “Tomorrow, President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Harris will be sworn in."
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer also spoke during the floor openings on Monday, saying the Senate has a “solemn” responsibility to convict the president in an impeachment trial for “exhorting” and “directing” his supporters to storm the Capitol.
He added: “President Trump is a threat to our constitutional order — whether he’s in, or out of office.”

Nov 7, 2020
"we had just reclaimed the Capitol"

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

Thaedolus

Banned
Jun 9, 2004
Impeachment has no chance whatsoever. Its not even constitutional. The Senate has no authority to hold court over a private citizen. Not to mention political suicide for Senators
What’s to stop a president from just resigning before conviction to avoid the clause that bars them from holding office again then?

sackings

Jul 22, 2020
What’s to stop a president from just resigning before conviction to avoid the clause that bars them from holding office again then?
Nothing. Thats exactly what Nixon did. Saw the writing on the wall so he noped on outta there

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
Impeachment has no chance whatsoever. Its not even constitutional. The Senate has no authority to hold court over a private citizen. Not to mention political suicide for Senators

Actually...there is room for academic disagreement but also actual precedent to the contrary.

But other precedents go the other way. In 1876, for instance, the corrupt secretary of war, William Belknap, raced to the White House to hand in his resignation just minutes before the House voted to impeach him. But the Senate determined it had the right to try an impeached former Cabinet member and went on to try Belknap "for acts done as Secretary of War, notwithstanding his resignation of said office." While the trial went forward, though, in the end, their vote to convict fell short of the necessary two-thirds.

epicnemesis

May 9, 2008
It has to get worse before it gets better for the GOP. The turtle is well aware that they have to get rid of Trump to avoid being split in half between Never- and Ever-Trumpers.
But they can leverage the trump platform and but a less polarizing person in his place. It resonates so much that people rallied around Donald fucking trump because he was saying and doing what was important to them.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Jethalal

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
"...and other powerful people..."

Isn't he talking about himself?
McConnell punted. He never once said he believed the fraud claims or thought there was any doubt about the election, he just said "If Trump wants to file lawsuits that has nothing to do with me."

It was a cowardly stance, and if he spoke clearly and matter of factly that the fraud narrative is a lie it might have given others in the party some backbone. But he didn't technically propogate that lie.

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
scotus punted as well, it's w/e

imagine preceding the time, order, importance of the battle for the soul of america

you may eventually find merit at the bottom but as the freeman goes:

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Both Johnson and Clinton were acquitted by the senate, did they not?

That'd make Trump the first one to be officially impeached with all bells and whistles.
Yeah Dems held the line in Clinton. Johnson's ass actually got saved by people on the opposing side (Republicans in this case though Johnson was technically elected as a Republican he mostly aligned with Democrats) who voted to spare him removal.

None of the Republicans who voted to save Johnson ever got reelected.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Bitmap Frogs

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
scotus punted as well, it's w/e

imagine preceding the time, order, importance of the battle for the soul of america

you may eventually find merit at the bottom but as the freeman goes:

SCOTUS is not really supposed to offer that kind of commentary or leadership. They punted as far as taking the case but the case they were presented with was a joke and didn't really address the fraud lie to begin with.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
The most blatant proof yet that the right is totally divided.

If it wasn't for the clown show these last 2 months, the party would assuredly still be in Trump's firm grasp and he or one of his kids would be the presumptive 24' nominee.

• Thoughtful

Bitch Pudding

Oct 3, 2014
Germany
Mitch will surely bring that unity within the GOP. He truly is the most popular Republican.
Oh, of course he's not the most popular one. But do not underestimate the power he still wields within the GOP, and getting rid of Trump will only strenghten his position as the GOP's leader going forward.

Newly Vacant

Jul 30, 2013
Michigan
ehuntington.org
Oh, of course he's not the most popular one. But do not underestimate the power he still wields within the GOP, and getting rid of Trump will only strenghten his position as the GOP's leader going forward.
So Mitch will lead the GOP with either a dramatically reduced base, or an angry riotous base. Neither are optimal conditions for a health political party.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dec 26, 2008
Spain
Impeaching would mean getting rid of the crazies and pushing the party center, which I'm sure is appealling.

Not impeaching means they get to kowtow to the crazies.

It's a big moment for the party that will open up a new market and close another one, and they might go for it if the numbers add up.

Newly Vacant

Jul 30, 2013
Michigan
ehuntington.org
Impeaching would mean getting rid of the crazies and pushing the party center, which I'm sure is appealling.

Not impeaching means they get to kowtow to the crazies.

It's a big moment for the party that will open up a new market and close another one, and they might go for it if the numbers add up.
Yes, please tell me how kneecapping and insulting the most popular Republican president will go well for the Republican Party? I am not at all skeptical and welcome to leftward re-alignment. All hail the establishment. Mitt Romney or Nikki Haley will clinch the 2024 election with ease.

• Fire

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
I've been expecting Mitch to push for impeachment. Trump has lost almost all of his value to the party. Trump being the one thrown under the bus instead of the one doing the throwing will be a refreshing change.

As far as people worried about alienating the Trump supporters explain to me how this situation is different from the one progressives have traditionally shared with the Democrats? The progressives aren't going to vote Republican regardless of how little the Dems do for them after the election. You think any of the Trump supporters are going to vote Democrat if they're not happy with the Republican leadership? Just as unlikely.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dec 26, 2008
Spain
Yes, please tell me how kneecapping and insulting the most popular Republican president will go well for the Republican Party? I am not at all skeptical and welcome to leftward re-alignment. All hail the establishment. Mitt Romney or Nikki Haley will clinch the 2024 election with ease.

Do I really need to remind you his approval ratings? Or the fact he just lost the election as incumbent? or the capitol shitshow?

Last edited:

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Oct 12, 2005
i bet Mitch doesn’t even vote yes .. this is all lip service .. Trump isn’t getting convicted
imagine disillusioning all those Trump voters for a private citizen lol

Newly Vacant

Jul 30, 2013
Michigan
ehuntington.org
Do I really need to remind you his approval ratings? Or the fact he just lost the election as incumbent? or the capitol shitshow?
Do I really need to remind you of his approval ratings? Or the fact that without Trump on the ticket, Republicans lost? Within the Republican Party, Trump was consistently more popular than anyone else. I understand people like you hate him and think he's an anchor or noose, but your opinion is not shared by all.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dec 26, 2008
Spain
Do I really need to remind you of his approval ratings? Or the fact that without Trump on the ticket, Republicans lost? Within the Republican Party, Trump was consistently more popular than anyone else. I understand people like you hate him and think he's an anchor or noose, but your opinion is not shared by all.

He lost as incumbent.

You keep bringing him up as some god for the voters but the guy just lost as incumbent. Biden got Georgia. Georgia! You bet Mitch is thinking about this.

Reactions: OnionSnake

Newly Vacant

Jul 30, 2013
Michigan
ehuntington.org
He lost as incumbent.

You keep bringing him up as some god for the voters but the guy just lost as incumbent. Biden got Georgia. Georgia! You bet Mitch is thinking about this.
There's no way an establishment Republican is going to win. Romney, Haley, Rubio; they're all losers. It's not as if dropping Trump will magically make more voters appear.

Aug 28, 2019
Trump also tanks politicians if they don't swear fealty to him.

Will distancing from him help the GOP more than sticking by him? That's the question Mitch has been mulling over probably for months.

Reactions: Bitmap Frogs

Vestal

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
Tampa FL
In actual political circles and on the Twitter vers he is toxic in the views of operatives. He has lost 3 straight elections as head of the party.

Reactions: OnionSnake

Clear

Deer/Dur
Feb 2, 2009
Trump is one of them losers now too. Or did you forget the last election?

Didn't his vote actually increase though?

This seems like the heart of the matter to me. Dems want to prevent him from coming back because without the sort of turnout they had during a pandemic they will have a tough time defeating Trump, while the GOP grandees need to get him gone because he's become in some senses bigger than the Republican party - which is a huge threat to them because they want someone more controllable.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dec 26, 2008
Spain
Didn't his vote actually increase though?

This seems like the heart of the matter to me. Dems want to prevent him from coming back because without the sort of turnout they had during a pandemic they will have a tough time defeating Trump, while the GOP grandees need to get him gone because he's become in some senses bigger than the Republican party - which is a huge threat to them because they want someone more controllable.

Tutnout was up this election and the republicans benefited as well.

Raven117

Oct 5, 2015
What’s the plan, then? Move the Republican Party to the left, throw out Trump and his voter base, and snipe voters from the Democrats?
Dust off that old commissioned report that Prebuis commissioned and start working on that. First, they must HEAVILY make inroads into hispanic voting blocks. Second, they need to buck the whole "social" crap (ie evangelicals). Third, they need to actually be fiscal conservatives. Fourth, they need to have a consistent foreign policy. Fifth, they need to figure out how they are going to address enviormental issues (this ship is sailing, and unless they want to help steer, they need to have some conservative solutions. Sixth, they need real ideas about healthcare.

And thats a start.

Newly Vacant

Jul 30, 2013
Michigan
ehuntington.org
Dust off that old commissioned report that Prebuis commissioned and start working on that. First, they must HEAVILY make inroads into hispanic voting blocks. Second, they need to buck the whole "social" crap (ie evangelicals). Third, they need to actually be fiscal conservatives. Fourth, they need to have a consistent foreign policy. Fifth, they need to figure out how they are going to address enviormental issues (this ship is sailing, and unless they want to help steer, they need to have some conservative solutions. Sixth, they need real ideas about healthcare.

And thats a start.
Essentially, the Republican Party needs to eschew their only large, consistent voting block and become liberal.

Raven117

Oct 5, 2015
Essentially, the Republican Party needs to eschew their only large, consistent voting block and become liberal.
Meh, if they were that consistent, they would still vote Republican. Other than maybe the evangelical vote, I didn't say anything that was outside of traditional conservative politics. (Like that term even means anything).

Moreover and assuming your contention about the voting block you are referencing, actually conservative policy can be used to help them. Now the far right Q bullshit. No. But for lots of others, of course.

Things change man. Both parties have had to reinvent a few times, now its the Republican's turn.