• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Aquaman” Crosses $1 Billion Worldwide

Raziel

new news, new thread?

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...r-Bros.-Pictures’-“Aquaman”-Crosses-1-Billion

In addition to crossing the billion-dollar mark, this weekend “Aquaman,” at $1.02 billion and counting, is now the #2 DC film ever worldwide, behind only “The Dark Knight Rises,” which took in $1.08 billion in its run. “Aquaman” has taken in $287.9 million domestically, and is now also the 2nd highest grossing Warner Bros. film of all time internationally, with $732.4 million to date; the biggest DC film of all time internationally; and the highest grossing Warner Bros. film ever in China, with $287.3 million.

It's just Warner Bros fifth film ever to cross that mark, joining Harry Potter Deathly Hollows 2, The Dark Knight Rises, The Hobbit, and The Dark Knight. Also, James Wan is the second director ever to have two separate billion-dollar-grossing movies from different franchises, joining only James Cameron.

And it's probably not end - when I was in cinema last Wednesday it was still pretty packed especially for movie that released few weeks ago.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It was a 7/10 with bad CG. I'm really surprised it is doing well.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Super shocked by this. I’ll eat crow saying I thought it would be a bomb.

I still stand by the fact the movie out right sucks. Those liking it have extremely questionable standards to me. From beginning to the very end hold frame (my god that was horrible..) the film just wouldn’t stop doing the corniest most bizarly bad shit, over and over again.

MDSLKTR

Lol @ bad cg. Only other movies that impressed me as much in theaters was the Hobbit in HFR and before that Avatar. I don't think people are aware of the insane amount of work that went into it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Lol @ bad cg. Only other movies that impressed me as much in theaters was the Hobbit in HFR and before that Avatar. I don't think people are aware of the insane amount of work that went into it.

Tons of work went into it, no one denies that, but it still looks bad a lot of the time (though some things like the de-aging were hit and miss, and some effects did look good, anything with animals in it looked like complete shit)

Also the set design was some of the worst I’ve seen in the last 10 years for a high production film. The “center of earth” scenes were just gross in how badly done that set was.

iconmaster

Banned
Beautiful movie. I have those "questionable standards" and so was able to enjoy it quite a bit. The acting from the main characters is not great, but Jason Momoa keeps things fun. Pretty weird that the second post-Nolan film to finally hit for DC was freaking Aquaman, but good for them.

Hopefully they take a lesson from this and try making their other superhero films less grim and more fun.

Im genuinely surprised. From the main character, to the cast to the cheesy CGI, there is nothing that appeals to me about this movie.
Surprised the Chinese like it too.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
That’s unbelievable. Aquaman comes in and steers DC Universe into a good direction.

cryptoadam

Banned
Too lazy to quote myself but I called it a BOMBA after its 68 million Xmas opening. Was way off.

Didn't think it had it in it, but the movie was a fun enough. Could of gut out a sub plot or 2 and shaved some time off the movie but it was till a fun adventure.

Shows that WB was stupid for releasing JL so early, and that Snyder is death to the universe. SS, WW, and Aquaman were all considered hits and made good box office. Meanwhile Snyder has tanked Superman, Batman, and Justice League. If WB would of kicked out Snyder and delayed JL there might actually be hype for the DCEU right now.

JL should of been standalone Batfleck film kicking off the MotherBox plot line. Basically just take the Batman/Cyborg parts of JL and build a Batman movie around that.

It certainly had more action going on than Man of Steel and Superman vs Batman.

I enjoyed it but understand why others didn't.

What annoyed me was
that Aquaman pretty much let one guy die and killed the one who wanted to avenge said person. Yet let his brother go for doing far worse such as killing another King and forcing his daughter to go to war.

Other than that I liked it.

Last edited:

tkscz

It certainly had more action going on than Man of Steel and Superman vs Batman.

I enjoyed it but understand why others didn't.

What annoyed me was
that Aquaman pretty much let one guy die and killed the one who wanted to avenge said person. Yet let his brother go for doing far worse such as killing another King and forcing his daughter to go to war.

Other than that I liked it.

He had no idea what his brother did while he was on his journey and Black Manta lives. Also Black Manta's defeat was his own fault, He should've retreated to repair his armor instead of trying to fight. Also it can be seen different when you let someone die for the crimes vs killing them yourself.

I can see this movie passing Dark Knight in sales just because of it's strong legs. Color me surprised to see this movie even pass $800m. There is some sort of irony that Aquaman was the movie that reached this goal.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

The Hobbit looks bad too, so what impresses you is not really important. Also not relevant, how much work went into it. Not all of it looked bad, just the underwater parts. The swimming, CG animals (sharks with mounts lol), neon everything, etc.

4E77F88A00000578-0-image-a-66_1532205455260.jpg

Last edited:

llien

Enjoyed the movie, so did my spouse.
Solid superhero action.

LIkable protagonist.
Charismatic antagonist.
Surprised by acting of #thisdudlooksfamiliar, wait a sec, that's Dolph Lundgren, wow.

That weird looking secondary bad guy is what spoiled it a bit for me. WTH, how could he be perceived seriously, what is he supposed to do against fucking semi-gods, ridiculous outfit, etc.

Overall, good that they started abroad, else Americans would again start the "ah, DC never gets it right" song and audience would follow.

He had no idea what his brother did while he was on his journey and Black Manta lives. Also Black Manta's defeat was his own fault, He should've retreated to repair his armor instead of trying to fight. Also it can be seen different when you let someone die for the crimes vs killing them yourself.

I can see this movie passing Dark Knight in sales just because of it's strong legs. Color me surprised to see this movie even pass $800m. There is some sort of irony that Aquaman was the movie that reached this goal.

I understood the implications and the Black Manta's perspective of Aquaman being uncaring but the reaction from the characters was basically "Move on, it happens" I guess rubbed me the wrong way, lol. I guess I was not used to a Superhero dealing with it in such a non-impactful way.

Super Mario

Banned
Unpopular opinion

A big part of it's success (not all) is the appeal of Jason Momoa. He is hot amongst the female crowd currently. Not to say females can't enjoy superhero movies, but he sure as hell didn't hurt it for them.

tkscz

I understood the implications and the Black Manta's perspective of Aquaman being uncaring but the reaction from the characters was basically "Move on, it happens" I guess rubbed me the wrong way, lol. I guess I was not used to a Superhero dealing with it in such a non-impactful way.
Honestly, I think that was the point. They wanted to give each character a bit of story of their own and room to grow and Wan nailed it so good with Black Manta. It gives this feeling of Manta getting a Super Hero origin, but showing him going a darker route with it. He doesn't want the world, he doesn't want war, he just wants revenge and we as the audience can understand and sympathize with that.

Unpopular opinion

A big part of it's success (not all) is the appeal of Jason Momoa. He is hot amongst the female crowd currently. Not to say females can't enjoy superhero movies, but he sure as hell didn't hurt it for them.

Your unpopular opinion is more common knowledge than you think. Pretty sure no one says it because it's too obvious.

Last edited:
I think it is probably the best DCEU film and with a little tighter editing could have been great.

Glad it’s doing well though. Maybe establish some positive momentum now. Bring on The Flash!

Honestly, I think that was the point. They wanted to give each character a bit of story of their own and room to grow and Wan nailed it so good with Black Manta. It gives this feeling of Manta getting a Super Hero origin, but showing him going a darker route with it. He doesn't want the world, he doesn't want war, he just wants revenge and we as the audience can understand and sympathize with that.

Definitely relatable given what happened to him although Aquaman giving his brother more leeway was a little dumb but I guess that is because they want the Family Ties thing extended. Shame that Manta got killed when it was getting good....or is he dead? The explosion may have not killed him.

tkscz

Definitely relatable given what happened to him although Aquaman giving his brother more leeway was a little dumb but I guess that is because they want the Family Ties thing extended. Shame that Manta got killed when it was getting good....or is he dead? The explosion may have not killed him.

Guessing you left before the mid-credits scene. It shows lived and still wants revenge on Aquaman.

Starlight Lotice Starlight Lotice

After-credits scene reveals he's still alive.

I thought he was a pretty cool antagonist but he's going to need more motivation if they keep going with him. Aquaman only failed to save his father. It's a little soft if it's supposed to drive Manta for a lifetime.
Guessing you left before the mid-credits scene. It shows lived and still wants revenge on Aquaman.

Yeah. I sadly missed the credits scene as I had to head home fast. <_<

Good to know he's still alive as I liked his character but I agree with him needing more to br fleshed out to hate Aquaman.
Looking forward to a sequel which I think is inevitable now.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I am sure I missed it but could someone break down why some people can breath air and some can't. And also are they all super powered beings like Aquaman or is he stronger than the others?

I found that Aquaman's powers and his powers in relation to everyone else was never really explaine (or I just tuned it out).

HoodWinked

I am sure I missed it but could someone break down why some people can breath air and some can't. And also are they all super powered beings like Aquaman or is he stronger than the others?

I found that Aquaman's powers and his powers in relation to everyone else was never really explaine (or I just tuned it out).

only people part of the royal bloodline can breathe air, they talk about it when they're inside the wooden boat. they don't specifically mention that being part of the royal bloodline also gives them power but seems obvious.

cryptoadam

Banned
only people part of the royal bloodline can breathe air, they talk about it when they're inside the wooden boat. they don't specifically mention that being part of the royal bloodline also gives them power but seems obvious.

Ok thanks, I guess I missed that part.

It would make more sense if only Royals had super powers, if not then the entire underwater group could just come and fuck us all up in 2 seconds.

tkscz

Ok thanks, I guess I missed that part.

It would make more sense if only Royals had super powers, if not then the entire underwater group could just come and fuck us all up in 2 seconds.

In the comics all Atlantians can breath air but only the royals have absurd strength like Aquaman (Superman level). They all have strength higher than a human's (able to survive under that much pressure) but have been shown to easily be killed in most circumstances. Even Batman can knock out a normal Atlantian in a single punch.

Boss Mog

I haven't seen it but I guess I should. I remember when the idea of an Aquaman movie was mocked on Entourage. I guess DC and WB are the ones laughing now, all the way to the bank.

Top Bottom