• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Chernobyl” Director Helming “Last of Us” TV Show

REE Machine

Banned
Sad to see Cory and these other creatives basically making sweeping statements, calling everyone who voted Trump stupid... as if the alternative was better in any way.

Hillary left guys like Ronin (The guy on the front of this seasons COD MW) to die protecting a consulate in a highly compromised location, she has a shady history going all the way back to Whitewater.

If they looked at the locations that were hit hardest by the virus, it is by far the liberal / democrat run that were the worst.
This is mirrored in Europe by the eastern European block that are mostly conservative and go against open borders... where they mostly contained the virus quite well and had minimal fatalities and spreading was stalled easily.

They have such hate for their fellow countrymen just based on political affiliation... it's sick.
I dont think he was referring to trump voters, i think generally the population especially america no matter your political views need to smarten up, social distance, wear masks, be more hygenic etc. America hasnt gotten over its first wave and already headed towards its second. Stupid is as stupid does, generally people need to listen and stop thinking of themselves and more of the people they can hurt or get sick who have compromised systems

Yoboman

The only good thing Craig Mazin ever worked on was Chernobyl, and that was a book adaptation. A book that he had to heavily rely upon while writing. Everything else in his 23 years long career he wrote for isn't noteworthy or is questionable.
Even though I loved Chernobyl I remain skeptic until that dude proves that he can write for good and isn't just a one-hit wonder.
I just checked out his filmography, man that's some absolute trash

On the positive it looks like he is awful at comedy but maybe drama will be his real calling

Yoboman

Sad to see Cory and these other creatives basically making sweeping statements, calling everyone who voted Trump stupid... as if the alternative was better in any way.

Hillary left guys like Ronin (The guy on the front of this seasons COD MW) to die protecting a consulate in a highly compromised location, she has a shady history going all the way back to Whitewater.

If they looked at the locations that were hit hardest by the virus, it is by far the liberal / democrat run that were the worst.
This is mirrored in Europe by the eastern European block that are mostly conservative and go against open borders... where they mostly contained the virus quite well and had minimal fatalities and spreading was stalled easily.

They have such hate for their fellow countrymen just based on political affiliation... it's sick.
I mean what did he say that was wrong? America needed to smarten up in March and it didn't. Look at the state of things now

And yes Dems are just as guilty.

Of course people keep making it a red vs blue thing when its a rich vs poor thing

Collin

Banned
i feel like people don’t realize how strange an adaption of a game with such strong fidelity and voice acting as the last of us will feel when re-purposing it to live action . it’s not like adapting a book where you’re taking imagination into visuals and characters. the games already have acting, shot composition, score, lighting, everything! graphic fidelity is good enough now in games that the show will probably even look worse by comparison. it’s gonna feel like people re-enacting a stage play or something, it’s gonna feel weird. just gonna feel off i bet

Yoboman

i feel like people don’t realize how strange an adaption of a game with such strong fidelity and voice acting as the last of us will feel when re-purposing it to live action . it’s not like adapting a book where you’re taking imagination into visuals and characters. the games already have acting, shot composition, score, lighting, everything! graphic fidelity is good enough now in games that the show will probably even look worse by comparison. it’s gonna feel like people re-enacting a stage play or something, it’s gonna feel weird. just gonna feel off i bet
I get what you mean. I hope its different, similar main story beats but maybe fo things like flesh out Tess. More time on Tommy and Joel backstory, give us the Ellie and Riley backstory. Properly set the stage for Fireflies (eg I think they did way better with WLF and Seraphites in Part II than the Fireflies in Part I).

They should let Nolan North play David too. He would nail it.

I reckon there is a pretty good structure to make it work

Episode 1 - Joel, Tommy and Sarah on Outbreak day
Episode 2 - Sequence of the 20 years after outbreak, Fireflies. Most the episode on Joel and Tess
Episode 3 - Intro to Ellie, her backstory through to the bite and learning she is immune
Episode 4 - Ellie and Joel meet, escaping the city through to Tess death
Episode 5 - Bill episode
Episode 6 - Sam and Henry episode
Episode 7 - Reaching Tommy and the Ellie / Joel argument
Episode 8 - University and Joel injury, plant seeds for Davids group following
Episode 9 - David and the cannibals
Episode 10 (longer rpisode) - Arrival in Salt Lake City. Escape from the Hospital and the fallout

Leyasu

Banned
I don’t know how I missed this. But big news imo.

Chernobyl was one of the best things that I have ever seen. This could be really great.

Enjay

Banned
What was the point then? I thought you were alluding to the fact that you disagreed with Cory and Craig by using that "disappointed" emoji face.
So glad to see the mentality that got Trump into office is still thriving. Cheers to another 4 years.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So glad to see the mentality that got Trump into office is still thriving. Cheers to another 4 years.

My mentality had NOTHING to do with Trump getting into office. That's mainly due to America changing their criteria for what they deem to be "important" to be the American president. Americans at least use to "want" someone respectable to be president. Someone that tried to be presidential and cared about the country.

That changed after Obama's 2 terms. America doesn't care about facts or reality anymore. Just look at the nutcases that think the Coronavirus is a hoax. Or the wackos that refuse to wear a mask inside public places. America has lost its way because we are actually too prosperous of a country. We've gotten fat and lazy.

Last edited:

Business

No zombie-like creatures, no story about a cure or anything. Stephen Kings The Stand is probably more like TLOU than The Road TBH since it’s a virus that impacts the human condition and they fight with one another too.

The story of The Last of Us is not about a virus that impacts the human condition, it's first an foremost about the relationship of a father/protector figure and a child, just like The Road. The world is just the stage, and it happens to be pretty similar to the one in The Road too anyway.

Venuspower

Episode 1 - Joel, Tommy and Sarah on Outbreak day
Episode 2 - Sequence of the 20 years after outbreak, Fireflies. Most the episode on Joel and Tess
Episode 3 - Intro to Ellie, her backstory through to the bite and learning she is immune
Episode 4 - Ellie and Joel meet, escaping the city through to Tess death
Episode 5 - Bill episode
Episode 6 - Sam and Henry episode
Episode 7 - Reaching Tommy and the Ellie / Joel argument
Episode 8 - University and Joel injury, plant seeds for Davids group following
Episode 9 - David and the cannibals
Episode 10 (longer rpisode) - Arrival in Salt Lake City. Escape from the Hospital and the fallout

Good structure. Here is my idea:

Episode 1: Prolog - I would not be surprised if we get some extra content in this episode
Episode 2: 20 Years later - Joel and Tess finding Marlene (+ Ellie at the end of the episode)
Episode 3: Boston - Joel, Tess and Ellie escape through downtown Boston after they learn about Ellies immunity. Ends with the death of Tess.
Episode 4: Bill's Town - I really hope that they get William Earl Brown to play Bill again
Episode 5: Pittsburgh Part I - Important moments: Ellie saves Joel's a**, Ellie gaining Joels trust after that (Ellie-sniper section)
Episode 6: Pittsburgh Part II - Meeting Henry and Sam, Henry and Sam betray Joel, Henry and Sam resuce Joel and Ellie
Episode 7: Sewers & Outskirts - Ending with Henrys death
Episode 8: Jackson - including the farmhouse scene. Ends with Joel and Ellie going to the university (could be a good mid-season finale)
Episode 9: University - First introduction of Davids group, Joel's injury
Episode 10: Winter Part I - Ellie's search for medical supplies to save Joel (From Left Behind's winter section)
Episode 11: Winter Part II - Ellie meets David and James, learns the truth about David and James, returns to Joel with Penicillin
Episode 12: Winter Part III - Ellie is captured, Joel safes her after Ellie hacked David's face into pieces.
Episode 13: Salt Lake City Part I - Featuring the giraffe moment, tunnel. Ends with Ellie and Joel being found by the fireflies
Episode 14: Fireflies - Episode that features Jerry Anderson and Abby Anderson (Just take the whole flashback scene from Part II where Abby is looking for her father. Ends with Marlene giving her "ok" to kill Ellie)
Episode 15: St. Mary's Hospital & Epilogue - Joel "saves" Ellie, they return to Jackson, Ellie talking about Riley and how she got infected (flashback). Ends like The Last of Us Part I.

Last edited:

fermcr

Chernobyl series was great. The director should try to implement his own vision for The Last of Us series. Get the basis and some characters of the games... and make a new story.
Don't let Naughty Dog get heavily involved in the series...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Well i almost completed tlou2 so i repeat myself, keep that fucking hack of drunkman 10 light years away from this project...

jaysius

Banned
The first game actually had a decent story, just the order it was shown sucked.

Chernobyl was amazing, except for the mystical spreading radiation from person to person when they decontaminated the person.

Shmunter

The first game actually had a decent story, just the order it was shown sucked.

Chernobyl was amazing, except for the mystical spreading radiation from person to person when they decontaminated the person.
In Chernobyl, the fake woman scientist was amusing. Just had to get that gender equality in there. I’m not sure many realise, she was a work of fiction, representing a collective of scientists from real history.

Last edited:

recursive

Another horrible video game adaption incoming. If it was a movie I’d have a lot more faith than trying to get 10+ hours of script out of it. Especially for something as basic and straight forward as The Last of Us. Zombie genre is already beaten to death, this one feels six years too late.
If they are faithful to the game script there is about 10 hours of walking. They should be fine.

Same story is sad news for me. I already played it.

I would've loved a tangential story and maybe apprearance of the main characters but nothing beyond that.

jaysius

Banned
In Chernobyl, the fake woman scientist was amusing. Just had to get that gender equality in there. I’m not sure many realise, she was a work of fiction, representing a collective of scientists from real history.

From what I read she was an amalgamation of many different actual scientific people. It maybe wasn't about female representation(which probably wasn't a thing in Russia at that time) but it was about making a character that made the story flow, not everything has an agenda.

xrnzaaas

Same story is sad news for me. I already played it.

I would've loved a tangential story and maybe apprearance of the main characters but nothing beyond that.
Yep exactly. They should create new characters. I wouldn't mind if Joel's or Ellie's name popped up in some conversations to keep the fans of the game pleased.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
If they’re smart they will simply take the world of TLOU and add a whole new set of characters. Maybe a brief cameo of someone like Bill but yeah, we have the Joel/Ellie/Abby saga. Give us fresh faces.

I’m sure they’ll fuck it all up though.

bitbydeath

The story of The Last of Us is not about a virus that impacts the human condition, it's first an foremost about the relationship of a father/protector figure and a child, just like The Road. The world is just the stage, and it happens to be pretty similar to the one in The Road too anyway.

The Stand has protector figures too.

Fbh

If they’re smart they will simply take the world of TLOU and add a whole new set of characters. Maybe a brief cameo of someone like Bill but yeah, we have the Joel/Ellie/Abby saga. Give us fresh faces.

I’m sure they’ll fuck it all up though.

I don't know. To me Joel and Ellie are The Last of Us. Take them out and the property just turns into another cookie-cutter zombie apocalypse.

Well i almost completed tlou2 so i repeat myself, keep that fucking hack of drunkman 10 light years away from this project...

Nah man, you are being short sighted.
Druckmann is clearly one of those "frustrated TV/Movie director wannabe" guys.
So if the show is successful it might be his big break to make it into the movie/TV industry and we can have someone else (hopefully better) in charge of ND (or they can somehow try to get Amy Hennig back)

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

GymWolf

I don't know. To me Joel and Ellie are The Last of Us. Take them out and the property just turns into another cookie-cutter zombie apocalypse.

Nah man, you are being short sighted.
Druckmann is clearly one of those "frustrated TV/Movie director wannabe" guys.
So if the show is successful it might be his big break to make it into the movie/TV industry and we can have some else (hopefully better) in charge of ND (or they can somehow try to get Amy Hennig back)
i like your style of thinking.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I don't know. To me Joel and Ellie are The Last of Us. Take them out and the property just turns into another cookie-cutter zombie apocalypse

If I want a Last of Us movie or show with Joel and Ellie I’ll just play the games. It’d also suck to see those roles fulfilled by lookalikes. To me their story has been told.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I had a run-in with that Craig Mazin guy a while ago on Twitter.

... :messenger_expressionless:

If the saying goes that 'you can't reason with stupid', which is the same reason he used for the virus not being an enemy - since you can't reason with it like a human, then how can stupid be the enemy?

:pie_thinking:

Fbh

If I want a Last of Us movie or show with Joel and Ellie I’ll just play the games. It’d also suck to see those roles fulfilled by lookalikes. To me their story has been told.

I mean... I agree with you.
I don't see the point in adapting this to a movie or TV show because the story is already well told in the game, and by taking away the interactivity which is an inherent part of the videogame you are taking away a lot of what makes it stand out compared to, say, The Walking Dead.

But since it has already been decided that it will be adapted, IMO they should go with the story of the game. Because that's really "The last of Us", it's this specific story about these 2 character. You take that away and you are basically just making a generic zombie show.

At least that's how I see it. I just don't really care about the world. If I want to know other stories from the world of TLOU I might as well just watch the walking dead and pretend zombies have mushrooms on them, everything else is basically identical.

Shmunter

From what I read she was an amalgamation of many different actual scientific people. It maybe wasn't about female representation(which probably wasn't a thing in Russia at that time) but it was about making a character that made the story flow, not everything has an agenda.
Don’t be too naive on this one. Well written, good flow was the entire show not simply thanks to inventing a role for a female.

sainraja

I know some are saying we should get fresh faces and I do agree with that statement. However, if they are going to have Ellie & Joel in it, I think Ellie should be played by Alba Baptista. Her speaking style and some of her mannerisms are so much like Ellie.

See:

Please don't make Joel a 30yr old actor or something stupid, as is the trend for these adaptations all the actors are always too young for their character.

Top Bottom