• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Child’s Play” (2019), first trailer drops for reboot of Chucky franchise.

GiWz4Vd.png

Of75eMK.jpg

What were they thinking with this?

Gonna get memes like crazy

To be dead honest I’m not even necessarily unhappy with the Tech Terminator Chucks. I can see how some jokes/scares/commentaries write themselves in this Alexa/Siri world we live in.

I wonder if we get some post-credit voodoo tease after this one ends

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Old Chucky looks miles better. My Nan fucking loves these films, I've lost count of how many I've bought her over the years, they're all pretty terrible but they have an audience.

The Snake

Not sure if these guys are legit but they call it “gruesome, fresh fun.”

I’m having a hard time getting over the look of the doll

I'm sure the movie is fine as a horror movie. There's some talent behind it. It's just that it's unnecessary, and disrespectful to fans and the franchise's creators.

Airola

I'm sure the movie is fine as a horror movie. There's some talent behind it. It's just that it's unnecessary, and disrespectful to fans and the franchise's creators.

They have been disrespectful since Bride of Chucky though. That's when the series jumped the shark and I lost interest. This reboot is the first time I've been even a bit excited to see a Child's Play movie after being disappointed with Bride of Chucky.

I like the idea of mixing things up with the whole tech angle, and Mark Hammil as the voice of Chucky is an inspired choice. Not too sure about the design though. Hopefully he looks decent in motion, but the still picture looks iffy. Giving me Team America vibes for some reason.

Last edited:

The Snake

They have been disrespectful since Bride of Chucky though. That's when the series jumped the shark and I lost interest. This reboot is the first time I've been even a bit excited to see a Child's Play movie after being disappointed with Bride of Chucky.

I mean disrespectful to Don Mancini, who still creates stories in the same canon for the past 30 years. The story is a little complex but it basically boils down to MGM deciding they were done with horror in the 80s, causing Mancini to move to Universal for sequels; MGM maintained rights to the first film, allowing them to ignore Mancini's current canon, which is still going, and make this remake with none of the heart or effort of the original.

Personally, I love Bride of Chucky, but it should be noted that the last two Chucky films, Curse and Cult, have been straight horror (if that was your issue with Bride, which I'll argue isn't a good issue to take with it, but I won't nerd out here). Mancini is also making a Chucky television series which will be horror-focused.

In short, this remake is just yet another low-effort cash-grab. Casting Mark Hammill is about the only thing it's got going for it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Going to see this one later tonight. 72% on RT is pretty damn good for a high profile slasher reboot. I have high hopes I'll like this.

In short, this remake is just yet another low-effort cash-grab. Casting Mark Hammill is about the only thing it's got going for it.

I'll disagree with this. The Bear McReary score is phenomenal. So that's two things!

Last edited:
I mean disrespectful to Don Mancini, who still creates stories in the same canon for the past 30 years. The story is a little complex but it basically boils down to MGM deciding they were done with horror in the 80s, causing Mancini to move to Universal for sequels; MGM maintained rights to the first film, allowing them to ignore Mancini's current canon, which is still going, and make this remake with none of the heart or effort of the original.

Personally, I love Bride of Chucky, but it should be noted that the last two Chucky films, Curse and Cult, have been straight horror (if that was your issue with Bride, which I'll argue isn't a good issue to take with it, but I won't nerd out here). Mancini is also making a Chucky television series which will be horror-focused.

I liked Bride too. I don’t really mind Curse or Cult. I mean neither of those three are masterpieces but I was entertained

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I really, really liked this one. Easily the best movie since the original 1988 one. They made Chucky sympathetic dammit, and they made it work. I've seen it refered to as a gore-fest but outside of a few quick shots the deaths are quick and relatively bloodless. Yes, you still see steel cutting flesh and a few body parts but it isn't as violent as the reviews made me believe it'd be. There's a few OUTSTANDING visual gags in the murder scenes that will make any horror fan giggle in pure joy.
The head through the lawnmower, and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 homage with the cut-off face stuck to a watermelon, was pure genius IMO.

A great cast, a killer score, a sympathetic killer doll, you actually feel for and a zany third act straight out of I dunno, Chopping Mall meets Gremlins. It's a real fun time at the movies.

Last edited:
I really, really liked this one. Easily the best movie since the original 1988 one. They made Chucky sympathetic dammit, and they made it work. I've seen it refered to as a gore-fest but outside of a few quick shots the deaths are quick and relatively bloodless. Yes, you still see steel cutting flesh and a few body parts but it isn't as violent as the reviews made me believe it'd be. There's a few OUTSTANDING visual gags in the murder scenes that will make any horror fan giggle in pure joy.

A great cast, a killer score, a sympathetic killer doll, you actually feel for and a zany third act straight out of I dunno, Chopping Mall meets Gremlins. It's a real fun time at the movies.

Thanks for the review

Ol'Scratch

No. Those posters with the Toy Story gimmicks were even more desperate than trying to cash in on Mark Hammil . I will happily wait for the series with the original Chucky by the original creator. This will be a Netflix or other source watch.

Last edited:
The head through the lawnmower, and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 homage with the cut-off face stuck to a watermelon, was pure genius IMO.

Great review, my interest has changed in this a bit and I'll check it out if given a chance.

I can understand why they went in the direction they did, considering how relevant it is today with technology that can control everything in our house. “Alexa, turn the lights off,” etc.

I’m not saying it’s better than the OG material whatsoever, but I can see why they thought this refresh would connect with today’s viewers.

Edit:

I’m not saying I think it’s good. Even if it sucks, at least they did something different in the reboot that made sense in today’s climate, somewhat.

Last edited:

NickFire

I can understand why they went in the direction they did, considering how relevant it is today with technology that can control everything in our house. “Alexa, turn the lights off,” etc.

I’m not saying it’s better than the OG material whatsoever, but I can see why they thought this refresh would connect with today’s viewers.
Yes, yes, yes, here you go being all reasonable again. Sigh.

I bitch cause I like supernatural stuff, but I'll still be seeing it at some point.

The Snake

I plan on watching it tonight. Trying to be as impartial as possible since I'm a huge fan of the Chucky franchise. Watched Child's Play (1988) for the 1 millionth time last night with my wife (who is also a big fan).

The concept behind this intrigues me, to be fair. From my understanding, based on what I've read and heard, is that it's a decent concept that in no way needs (or deserves) the Child's Play moniker and would have been just fine as a standalone film/franchise. Not great, but not a disaster.

Still don't understand why they cheaped out so effing bad on the doll, though.

The Snake

Okay, I watched it.

It's definitely a comedy first and a horror second (or third). And as I expected it really doesn't bear any resemblance to Child's Play, except for there being a killer doll named Chucky, a boy named Andy, and his mom named Karen. It really could have been its own movie with a different name, and no one would really compare it too much to the 1988 film. In fact I think that would make for a better movie honestly; handcuffing itself to the franchise as a whole kind of works to its detriment I think. It feels like a parody or knockoff.

But basically it's a comedy with some violence. It's a kids adventure film...it reminded me of maybe Stranger Things, or Nickelodeon's Are You Afraid of the Dark?. That's not a bash against it--just trying to give some context of the way this is presented. Horror moments are played for laughs, you've got kids quipping and gearing up to fight, you've got Looney Tunes violence. The killer is no longer a serial killer in a doll's body; just a malfunctioning robot. So there doesn't feel like there are a lot of stakes, and Chucky of course has no real personality to speak of.

As a big horror fan, I'd give it maybe a 5 or 6 out of 10. It's pretty pedestrian, DVD kiosk fair. If it was titled anything else it would come out, get a few streams, and fade into the aether.

Last edited:

sol_bad

How can Bride of Chucky be disrespectful when it was written by Don Mancini, the original creator. Don Mancini actually wrote and directed Seed, Curse and Cult of Chucky.

I watched the new film on the weekend and found it hilariously funny in a good way. It was very self aware and didn't take itself seriously. The kills were great, I just with there were more of them.

The kid actor was great, Audrey was great, the cop and his mum were great.

God damn, when they were trying the hide the face skin in birthday wrapping, that shit was a crack up and I couldn't stop laughing.

I don’t really like the idea of this movie. I’m a big fan of the original series of movies and Chucky not being a serial killer trapped in a doll’s body takes a lot out of it. It just seems shitty. I’ll watch this out of curiosity, but I’m not expecting much. MGM can kiss my ass.

Airola

How can Bride of Chucky be disrespectful when it was written by Don Mancini, the original creator. Don Mancini actually wrote and directed Seed, Curse and Cult of Chucky.

Yeah and George Romero wrote and directed Diary of the Dead and Survival of the Dead.

Top Bottom