• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Child’s Play” (2019), first trailer drops for reboot of Chucky franchise.

Forsythia

I don't think it looks that bad, but fuck, no Don Mancini, no Brad Dourif and Chucky being a robot doesn't feel good.

So Chucky is a little terminator doll in this one?

He's supposed to have "Alexa powers" and can control technology too. :messenger_smirking:

Trailer has an air of cheese and shit about it. The movie will probably be retarded but whether it's the good kind remains to be seen.

Chucky is a mass murdering robot now. Snore.

Seems to take away from the mystique of the spooky, scary ghost possessed doll of yesteryear. Plus that ghost had an awesome personality. What kind of personality can robot chucky possibly have?

I feel violated.

UNLESS, a criminal human consciousness was somehow uploaded into the chuckly robot brain. Essentially a ghost in the machine. Then we good. I will reserve judgment.

Last edited:
The big take away ffrom this trailer for me was thinking..”Isn’t this kid too old to playing with a Chucky doll?”... I thought Andy in the original movie was like 1st-2nd Grade....

Eh, a science fiction take on the "killer doll" trope is kind of interesting, at least it's a new idea.

The best killer doll movie will always be Stuart Gordon's Dolls from 1987 though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I also think they're missing the mark with not adding voodoo/spirituality elements to it. The very first Child's Play trailer was excellent. You can tell that they're trying to hide Chucky's personality because it needs to build up to him actually speaking. Which I wonder if he will (probably).

I agree the boy looks a bit too old. Maybe this type of horror works since technology is where it is with robot toys and what not. I've heard rumors that
the programmer who designed the doll commits suicide before implementing this superior AI code

I'd definitely watch it when it comes out digitally. No way am I going to the theaters to see it. I have to wonder what Don Mancinni (creator of the franchise) will think about it. The Chucky TV series on SYFY is his next project.

They probably don't want to deal with cultural appropriation whining or any similar rant from the easily offended.

Or they just thought “tech sells” and it’s gonna connect with da kidz when Chucky controls iPhones or whatever the hell his powers are now.

Last edited:
I thought they’d go with cgi, but is that an actual puppet? Pretty cool if so.
Practical effects with cgi is what they're saying. I remember watching the original as a kid and the trailer made it seem vague and didn't show you Chucky at all. Weird that they're rebooting it when there's still current sequels. The Tony Stark Arc Reactor in Chucky 2.0's chest is weird, but this entire movie will be like a certain Simpsons episode:
zenh5.jpg

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Actually makes sense now. Sounded stupid when he was a "robot" but now seeing the trailer it clicks. Clearly today if someone was making a doll it would be hooked up to a phone through an app and would be an animatronic doll. Think of the BB-8 "doll".

Also lets not jump the gun and say there is nothing supernatural. They could still add in a supernatural element to it without spoiling it in the trailers.

But surprisingly the trailer comes off a lot better than I originally thought. I am going to predict this is going to be a big hit.

Actually makes sense now. Sounded stupid when he was a "robot" but now seeing the trailer it clicks. Clearly today if someone was making a doll it would be hooked up to a phone through an app and would be an animatronic doll. Think of the BB-8 "doll".

Also lets not jump the gun and say there is nothing supernatural. They could still add in a supernatural element to it without spoiling it in the trailers.

But surprisingly the trailer comes off a lot better than I originally thought. I am going to predict this is going to be a big hit.

Does the trailer imply an army of Chuckies?

Looks like she’s in the warehouse and all the boxes are torn up? Or Chucky goes back to destroy the others?

cryptoadam

Banned
Does the trailer imply an army of Chuckies?

Looks like she’s in the warehouse and all the boxes are torn up? Or Chucky goes back to destroy the others?

Kinda looks like it.

Maybe there is an angle here where Chucky wants to infect all the other Chucky's and turn them into killer dolls too? In the original Charles wanted to transfer his soul into the kids body.

Update with tech and now Chucky wants to infect all the Chucky's via the internet. Could be a more interesting plot point than Voodoo man wants to get back in kids body. Instead killer doll wants to create army of killer dolls.

It reminds me of Terminator Genysis, where they turned SkyNet into an App and it spread through the internet. Updating the story for our modern connected times.

Kinda looks like it.

Maybe there is an angle here where Chucky wants to infect all the other Chucky's and turn them into killer dolls too? In the original Charles wanted to transfer his soul into the kids body.

Update with tech and now Chucky wants to infect all the Chucky's via the internet. Could be a more interesting plot point than Voodoo man wants to get back in kids body. Instead killer doll wants to create army of killer dolls.

It reminds me of Terminator Genysis, where they turned SkyNet into an App and it spread through the internet. Updating the story for our modern connected times.

Thanks for the reply

My notification bar been silent all morning, started to think I was exiled

cryptoadam

Banned
Thanks for the reply

My notification bar been silent all morning, started to think I was exiled

Its Saturday morning (at least where I am) people are probably still sleeping LOL. (for me morning on weekends extends till 2PM)

I notice the weekends get slow on here usually.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
At last a sequel to Small Soldiers.

nkarafo

I thought they’d go with cgi, but is that an actual puppet? Pretty cool if so.
It doesn't make sense to use CGI for the puppet when they can use a real one. It's not like Chucky needs to move with "grace" and "fluidity", that would look completely fake and like a videogame, just like 99% of CGI animations do. He is supposed to move like a puppet with robotic moving parts, with all the stutter and clunkiness that brings. Easier and cheaper to do with a real puppet.

I do worry that they are going to use CGI for the face though. Again, the robotic, stiff, plastic face was part of the appeal so i hope they don't mess that up for a "LOOK, HEY, LOOOOK how realistic and detailed facial animations i can do" face.

Last edited:
I always wanted the reboot to play with the idea that it was Andy doing the killing the whole time, only to twist that it was the doll or the other way around at the end.

LMJ

Man I'm torn here, I mean I'm a HUGE Childsplay fan, but no Dourif... That's a hard pill to swallow, but one also can't deny that the original series is getting stale (loved Cult and Curse though)

I suppose I'll wait for the next trailer, but still no Dourif makes this really hard lol

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Heck with it just swap the title with Small Soldiers and you couldn’t tell the difference

Tesseract

Banned
this could be dope, but it needs to be overwhelmingly violent and murderous to get there

if i was writing the script, i'd make it a kinda chucky apocalypse story where the humans eventually fight back

Last edited:

Duallusion

Has it been confirmed it's going to be an AI-going-haywire affair? Or are they setting it up like that so they can do a "robot is actually possessed" plot twist/callback to the original? :unsure:

Top Bottom