• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Encanto” Song Tops Billboard 100 Chart, first time since Aladdin

bitbydeath

This song is addictive as f, great movie too, already watched it twice.
The song “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” from Disney’s most recent animated feature “Encanto,” has made it to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart.
The ensemble song becomes just the second No. 1 ever from a Disney animated film, the only other being the “Aladdin” theme “A Whole New World” from back in 1993.
To give you a more recent comparison, Idina Menzel’s famed “Let It Go” song from 2014’s “Frozen” reached No. 5 at its height.

Pejo

I'm looking forward to the full length pop punk cover of that other song from the movie.

Doom85

Ive listened to this song 3 times and I don't see how anyone finds it better than A Whole New World or Let it Go.

Honestly, I was surprised by how many people seem to love the film. I thought it was pretty good but felt unfocused due to having to spend time with so many characters. Hell, I forgot the lead had living parents until near the end because again the focus was all over the place. Movie would have felt more impactful IMHO if they had kept the focus on the lead, her two sisters, and the grandmother. Not saying the rest of the family couldn’t be there, just spend less time with them to give more connection to the main characters.

I much preferred Disney’s earlier 2021 film Raya and the Last Dragon. Awesome world building, cool action scenes, a fun cast, stellar animation, and shit got pretty dark in the third act by Disney standards.

cormack12

Gold Member
It was the best song in the film but these Nu-Disney era songs are not a patch on the older stuff. But they are popular and streaming sort of flips the charts on their head so what do I know

To those saying that the song feels generic, that's because...

... it is. It's the kind of "Latin-tinged" music that is appealing to people that don't listen to Latin music on the regular. Kind of similar to the generic Latin muzak that many restaurants play.

That extends to the movie itself, by the way. It's colorful and charming and with good voice acting, but it's still kind of dull overall.

Sometimes what is popular is not always good, or the best. Honestly, Moana was the last Disney movie I watched and even its worst song was better than this. Bland music, "talky" and bland singing.... It doesn't butter my parsnip.

Fools idol

Banned
it's a great movie - my 3 year old is entranced by it. Super colourful and catchy song scenes too.

My personal favourite of the modern ones is Coco, but this one is up there.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
it's a great movie - my 3 year old is entranced by it. Super colourful and catchy song scenes too.

My personal favourite of the modern ones is Coco, but this one is up there.
My 3 year old loves it too. We ended up at my parents’ house to do laundry last weekend because our machine went out, so we watched Encanto and even my dad was tearing up by the end. It’s got a great message

Rran

It sounds a lot like Santana's "Smooth." I guess it's that latin pop feel.

I thought Encanto was pretty good but I'm tired of Lin-Manuel Miranda. I miss the Alan Menken sound in Disney musicals, to be honest.

Billbofet

My kids have been singing this song for weeks. I think it's a solid song.

Way better than the actual movie it was in. Very rote, predictable, and utterly forgettable. Disney and Pixar have been off lately with memorable movies. Moana was the last one I thought was truly excellent.
Here's hoping that Buzz Lightyear movie is great. Turning Red looks shit.

bitbydeath

A lot of people sleeping on this movie, I think it’s Disneys best movie since Zootopia.

The below are all good songs:
  • The Family Madrigal.
  • Waiting on a Miracle.
  • We Don't Talk About Bruno.
  • Surface Pressure.
  • What Else Can I Do

MrMephistoX

Honestly, I was surprised by how many people seem to love the film. I thought it was pretty good but felt unfocused due to having to spend time with so many characters. Hell, I forgot the lead had living parents until near the end because again the focus was all over the place. Movie would have felt more impactful IMHO if they had kept the focus on the lead, her two sisters, and the grandmother. Not saying the rest of the family couldn’t be there, just spend less time with them to give more connection to the main characters.

I much preferred Disney’s earlier 2021 film Raya and the Last Dragon. Awesome world building, cool action scenes, a fun cast, stellar animation, and shit got pretty dark in the third act by Disney standards.
This one felt like it suffered from WFH itus like Raya or Chaepek is just a penny pinching asshole and rushed it out the door like Raya and Soul.

dr_octagon

Banned
I heard it on the radio

homer simpson episode 22 GIF

gimmmick

It’s a catchy song but I thought Sebastian Yatra and Carlos Vivas both had better songs. “Dos Oruguitas” is my favorite from the movie.

My wife’s family absolutely loved the movie (they born and raised in Colombia).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It’s a catchy song but I thought Sebastian Yatra and Carlos Vivas both had better songs. “Dos Oruguitas” is my favorite from the movie.

My wife’s family absolutely loved the movie (they born and raised in Colombia).
I like it and find the movie kicked all sorts of ads ;). I do prefer Surface Pressure, best song for me in the movie.

Top Bottom