• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Gemini Man” 2019, from Ang Lee, starring Will Smith, Clive Owen, Mary Elizabeth Winstead

GreyHorace

Just watched the trailer, and yes that looks amazing. The young Will Smith looks so convincing.

Normally I'd just dismiss this as another scifi blockbuster, but Ang Lee is directing it. He's always been a capable director, even though his last attempt at a genre movie (2003's Hulk) was a misfire. And I'm pretty sure he's going to bring out great performances from all the actors involved since drama has always been his strong suit.

Hmmm, don't know... :/
I usually dig Ang Lee movies, even the aforementioned Hulk.
But for this one, I will wait what you guys have to say about it before going watching it.

This getting bad reviews but who cares.
The only 3D version is HFR and it's getting a wide release. The studio has been sending samples to theatres since February, which helped spread the adoption. They only needed a software upgrade for 60 FPS. 120 will be very limited though.
Last decade, 3D had a similar path. We're probably in the Spy Kids era of HFR and Avatar is going to make it popular.

cryptoadam

Banned
Oh no, when Arnie made his clone movie it killed his career. Will might be walking into the same trap.

No one wanted to see to Arnies, so I don't know if anyone will want to see to Smiths.

TUROK

The action in trailer 2 looks so fucking good (and replete with practical effects if your into that sort of thing).

I'm excited. Ang Lee doing action like this is exactly the kind of unlikely shit I love to see (not too unlikely, since he did Hulk, but still).

Check your local cinema, 3D HFR screenings start next week.

Here's a taste of what the technology can do (check the YouTube settings to play it at 60):

Shaky cam is actually comprehensible, faces seem to emote more, there's a lot of subtle detail that otherwise gets lost (dust, the RPG blowback, the guy getting shredded at 2:45).

Once they figure out how to properly light a scene and how to handle makeup, it'll become the norm. I hope.

Last edited:
Holy shit :messenger_hushed:

I don't think this movie works in 24fps. There is one setpiece in particular that feels designed for HFR.
The visuals are astonishing.
It's a really fun thriller that's elevated by 3D HFR. Don't miss it in theatres!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Here's a taste of what the technology can do (check the YouTube settings to play it at 60):

Shaky cam is actually comprehensible, faces seem to emote more, there's a lot of subtle detail that otherwise gets lost (dust, the RPG blowback, the guy getting shredded at 2:45).

Once they figure out how to properly light a scene and how to handle makeup, it'll become the norm. I hope.

Honestly? Kinda made it look low budget and fake.

Kenpachii

Those 30 fps movies are bad looking to me. just janky as hell. I always use a 60 fps plugin, or that theater mode on tv's.

Low framerate movies should be soon a thing of the past.

Last edited:

TGO

Those 30 fps movies are bad looking to me. just janky as hell. I always use a 60 fps plugin, or that theater mode on tv's.

Low framerate movies should be soon a thing of the past.
???
You lost me, nearly all movies are shot at 24fps

TUROK

This looks weird, but I'm digging the fuck out of it. I can get used to it.

Devenport

There’s only one Gemini man

245458-gemini_man_profile.png
Ah ah ah ah ah...yeah...so good!

Random Gemini Man thoughts:

- the first shot is the perfect HFR demo. It opens on the ceiling of the Liege train station, at an angle that makes it look as busy as possible, then pans to the right. This would be a visual nightmare in 24fps. In HFR, it's crystal clear.
- the final fight has some classic Ang Lee what-the-fuck camera transitions that work beautifully in HFR
- tracking shots are amazing in HFR, and there are some nice long takes and FPS scenes
- there's a very realistic fast and furious hand-to-hand combat scene. The combat and chase scenes are framed differently compared to normal action movies - there's less horizontal speed and movement. There's a lot of frontal framing.
- HFR means more visual information, which allows Lee to better mix foreground and background action. For example, a scene of Will Smith in the foreground noticing a quarter-second movement of a body in the dark background is perfectly readable, as there's 2.5 times more visual information than in 24fps. The depth and extra frames make it possible to play the background and foreground against each other better than in "normal" movies. Speaking of depth - it's the best I've seen since Hugo.
- there are many shots of characters talking directly to the camera - another Ang Lee trademark. Subtle face movements are much easier to read.
- small details, like sparks flying when bullets hit metal, are really beautiful. It makes some of the action look like John Woo on steroids
- young Will Smith looks real under certain light conditions. Harsh lighting is the best. Soft light - not so much, but still a huge leap over Rogue One and Alita. There are a couple of really awful shots, probably ran out of time (the movie was finished in August). Usually it's the eyes that make him feel fake. 80% of the time I completely bought the illusion.

This looks weird, but I'm digging the fuck out of it. I can get used to it.
If you've ever seen a play, it's like that. You see actors on stage. You admire their skill and get into it. But at no point do you lose the illusion that they're actors.

In HFR, I always know they are actors. I see them moving like they are really right in front of me. Basically just like seeing what it looks like on the actual set while filming. It does actually kind of ruin the illusion a bit, but it's also more realistic. Maybe eventually some filmmakers will come along that manage to master HFR. No one has made a HFR masterpiece just yet.

Last edited:

TGO

Epic fail.
Blu-ray pre-orders are up and it's only available on Blu-ray and Blu-ray 4k
No Blu-ray 3D
I know not many people have 3D TV but the option should still be an option considering this Film is 3D 120fps.
I heard the 3D is really good.

I don't think Blu-ray supports 60fps 3D above 720p yet. Billy Lynn's home release included both 24fps 3D and 60fps 4K 2D.

Paramount is not releasing 3D Blu-rays anymore. On the other hand they went all in for HFR, they've been sending demos to theatres since the beginning of the year. That's why there are 20 times more HFR screenings than for The Hobbit.
Gemini Man is going to bomb in the US but do well in Asia - and Asia is better equipped for HFR. Notice how only the Chinese logos at the start are HFR... Fucking Billy Lynn, which is a weird war drama, made 90% of its box office there and it sank without trace in the rest of the world! I don't think there's going to be a separate home HFR release in Asia though.

Anyway, I'm doing my part in Europe - watched it again last night and dragged a couple of friends with me. There was another guy in the row behind me who did the same thing and was telling his mates what to look for in the opening scenes lol

sol_bad

Just saw it. It was ok, nothing special at all.
The story just didn't make sense, like, someone please explain to me why they are trying to kill Will Smith.
As for CGI Will Smith, they have the detail perfected and he looks great with all the lighting. But the instant he moves it's straight to uncanny valley, it looks so off. I don't understand why they had to CGI his whole head, why can't they use real Will Smith and just visually de-age him like what Marvel do?

Action scenes were a ton of fun, insanely over the top and well choreographed and shot. I enjoyed those parts. And enjoyed MEW.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I just watched it. My sound processor isn't working so I couldn't hear and the closed captioning device from AMC didn't connect to my auditorium. But I could more or less follow along with it. It was good! The young Will's face was hit or miss depending on when he was on screen. Sometimes it was flawless and you could really believe The Fresh Prince was with an older Will. Other times it looked like a CG character from Resident Evil or The Last of Us.

Kenpachii

???
You lost me, nearly all movies are shot at 24fps

Yet nearly all tv's add that soap opera effect towards it which makes them look like 60 fps movies out of the box. That's what i mean the sooner they push towards it the better, 24 fps movies are a thing of the past when they push it forwards finally as its something that's going ot happen anyway.

The old movies will look jarring as hell once 60 fps + higher becomes the standard.

John Day

Love Will, it’s been tough to see him in duds like that Netflix movie. I didn’t even hate on After Earth, he earned a mediocre vanity/family movie. Looks good 👍

I liked it, but it clearly should have been a series and I’m sure they couldn’t pay Will Smith for such a thing.

So in spoiler form, can anyone explain why they ate trying to kill Will Smith?

He's a government assassin who learns his last target was innocent and finds clues that might reveal a conspiracy. The Fresh Prince is sent to kill him after regular Call of Duty spec ops fail.

sol_bad

He's a government assassin who learns his last target was innocent and finds clues that might reveal a conspiracy. The Fresh Prince is sent to kill him after regular Call of Duty spec ops fail.

And the innocent guy that was murdered is the one that helped create young Will Smith? Why did they want to assassinate him?

And the innocent guy that was murdered is the one that helped create young Will Smith? Why did they want to assassinate him?

Yes. He was a Russian scientist who worked for Clive Owen. The scientist made a breakthrough that lead to improved clones that feel no pain and have superhuman abilities. Clive was an asshole so the scientist defected to Russia.

sol_bad

Yes. He was a Russian scientist who worked for Clive Owen. The scientist made a breakthrough that lead to improved clones that feel no pain and have superhuman abilities. Clive was an asshole so the scientist defected to Russia.

It makes slightly more sense ..... in a way ..... I guess.

Kovet

the whole modern will Smith hunted by late 90s will Smith was pretty funny in some instances but when they take off the mask for late 80s fresh prince will Smith everyone in the theater broke out in laughter

TGO

Yet nearly all tv's add that soap opera effect towards it which makes them look like 60 fps movies out of the box. That's what i mean the sooner they push towards it the better, 24 fps movies are a thing of the past when they push it forwards finally as its something that's going ot happen anyway.

The old movies will look jarring as hell once 60 fps + higher becomes the standard.
Every self respecting AV Buff disables those modes
Be it TrueCinema or Cinema+
Or off.
The 24p pull down is not that old a feature.
It only the last decade we've been watching films how they suppose to be watched.
Next you'll tell me you have smooth enabled for games too.

The Actress in this looks a lot like a young Sigourney Weaver.

I hope she gets cast as the young Ripley should they ever make an Aliens film...or her clone that continues on her legacy!

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I watched it today... Wasn't impressed, I was mostly bored by it. Everything was extremely predictable. :(

Seen it. It was shit and i actually (genuine, no lies) fell asleep before a big fight scene. My partner woke me up because i was snoring but i couldn't wait to get to the end.

I went to see it because my partner wanted to. Me being a good partner went along and was bored to death. Will has not made a decent movie since Independence Day so i stay away from his movies. Maybe Pursuit Of Happiness but i found that to be average.

TUROK

Every self respecting AV Buff disables those modes
Be it TrueCinema or Cinema+
Or off.
The 24p pull down is not that old a feature.
It only the last decade we've been watching films how they suppose to be watched.
Next you'll tell me you have smooth enabled for games too.
Anyone who calls themselves an AV buff probably doesn't have much self-respect to begin with.

Let people use the technology they paid for in whatever way they want.

Last edited:
<_____<

Men in Black
Enemy of the State
Ali
Bad Boys 2
I Robot
Pursuit of Happyness (as you mentioned)
I Am Legend
Men in Black 3
Aladdin

Obviously we all have different tastes though.
<______________________<
Yep. I thought Enemy of the State was good as was I Am Legend. Bad Boys 2, is decent though i much prefer Bad Boys 1.
I Robot and the rest are meh.
Granted i did forget about the list of movies you posted so i stand corrected on my initial post on the actor making crap movies since Independence Day.

It sucks to see him not make any real blockbusters or be involved in any of them. He even turned down Django which i'm sure he would have excelled in because Jamie Fox i think was ok to meh in that.

Either way I was a huge fan and just see him as an 'Ok' actor in 'Ok' movies nowadays.

His acting is still on point, his agent or he himself just keeps putting him in average to shit films unfortunately.
Exactly. Its not like he's a shit actor. He really can nail emotional scenes and the jokes too. I just don't understand why he's starring in such average movies when we all know he's capable of being or leading a big blockbuster epic.
Still i'm rooting for him all the time.

Top Bottom